India politics thread

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Barely enter this thread and don't know much about the country's politics. I spent 4 mnth in India between 2014/15 and absolutely loved the country.
But I mst say I do not like the PM. What is the consensus here?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Barely enter this thread and don't know much about the country's politics. I spent 4 mnth in India between 2014/15 and absolutely loved the country.
But I mst say I do not like the PM. What is the consensus here?
Most people in this thread are anti-Modi

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The centre has arrested ministers before in hostile states - 2 in MH when Uddhav was CM, no bail for months of course...but going straight for the deputy CM is a new level.

RedDevil@84

The centre has arrested ministers before in hostile states - 2 in MH when Uddhav was CM, no bail for months of course...but going straight for the deputy CM is a new level.
AAP is an easier target. They don't have mad fans. Shiv Sena is a Hindutva party. So they had to tread carefully.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
AAP is an easier target. They don't have mad fans. Shiv Sena is a Hindutva party. So they had to tread carefully.

They arrested 2 ministers: a Muslim (from NCP) and a Hindu (from Cong or Shiv Sena, I don't remember)...Neither were that senior.

But I don't think they were worried about the sainiks. Uddhav's Sena no longer has muscle. Probably Shinde's also (outside Thane). After the split, there would have been major violence on the streets by both sides. Nothing happened at all. Even now, with the symbol gone, they are having small protests of 50 people on the side of the road, like they are CPI or something...15 years ago there would have been a city-wide bandh and burnt shops.

RedDevil@84

BJP won in north-east states. Bit surprise as Exit poll were saying little different.
Were they? I thought exit poll only talked about struggling in Tripura to cross halfway mark. But then I didnt check every exit poll.

Edit: I verified again. I was wrong. Exit poll said win in Tripura and Nagaland and NPP to lead in Meghalaya.

Viral United

Were they? I thought exit poll only talked about struggling in Tripura to cross halfway mark. But then I didnt check every exit poll.

Edit: I verified again. I was wrong. Exit poll said win in Tripura and Nagaland and NPP to lead in Meghalaya.
Okay than I was wrong, I thought Exit poll says they will struggle.

RedDevil@84

Wonder how long will we be keeping this false mask of democracy. Just declare it as a dictatorship.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wonder how long will we be keeping this false mask of democracy. Just declare it as a dictatorship.
I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see Modi lose an election. He wont let go off his power that easily, will he?

RedDevil@84

I know it wont happen, but I'd love to see Modi lose an election. He wont let go off his power that easily, will he?
They are planning for a 2024 opening of Ram Mandir. Would be an easy win with media going crazy about this modern day Ram from Gujarat. Then they will implement the parliament reorg and winning Gujarat plus 2-3 states from Hindi belt will only matter after that.

iKnowNothing

Anyone else feel that the so called “protests” from the Congress are barely being registered?

If this were a BJP protest, they would have completely dominated the media cycle. I get a feeling that if the opposition cannot unite in this protest, there’s no way they can even make a dent in the BJP numbers in the next election. We may even be heading towards BJP winning 400 seats in the LS.

RedDevil@84

Anyone else feel that the so called “protests” from the Congress are barely being registered?

If this were a BJP protest, they would have completely dominated the media cycle. I get a feeling that if the opposition cannot unite in this protest, there’s no way they can even make a dent in the BJP numbers in the next election. We may even be heading towards BJP winning 400 seats in the LS.
I doubt how useful even that will be. Because a good % of the media is pro BJP and would downplay any opposition protests.

iKnowNothing

I doubt how useful even that will be. Because a good % of the media is pro BJP and would downplay any opposition protests.
I get what you’re saying but then shouldn’t the opposition be fighting back with every inch of their being for their own political survival? These guys are just tame and spineless.

RedDevil@84

I get what you’re saying but then shouldn’t the opposition be fighting back with every inch of their being for their own political survival? These guys are just tame and spineless.
The only way the opposition will have some value is flood the roads with their protests. The media may not cover it, but people would know. Run around village to village with the protests.

Nickelodeon

Our expectations from the opposition is in absolute contrast to the ruling party. BJP can be openly seen on stage with convicted rapists and still we’ll find ways on how opposition isn’t doing enough. The situation with our economy, social fabric, media impartiality and misuse of institutions has deteriorated and is pretty clear for every citizen to see. If we still don’t see a better alternative beyond Modi, then there is no hope.

And I genuinely believe there isn’t any hope left. Even if the neutrals turn, the opposition will have a minor advantage and BJP will find a way to use their power to cut the deficit during election season.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

obviously this is insane, but what real world thing is it referring to?

RedDevil@84

obviously this is insane, but what real world thing is it referring to?
She is probably worried that about the SB403 California Senate

They want to include caste discrimination as an offense under California Fair Employment and Housing Act. Previously it had only race, sex, color, sexual orientation, disability etc etc as the discriminating offense.

Not sure what TVM Pai is barking about. Probably just trying to appease his overlords.

iKnowNothing

No Modi wave in Karnataka. Goes to show how some strong ground level leadership will help in assembly elections.
I still think the results will be very different in 2024.

MDFC Manager

No Modi wave in Karnataka. Goes to show how some strong ground level leadership will help in assembly elections.
I still think the results will be very different in 2024.
WhatsApp University reactions:
Congratulations to people of Karnataka.

I think this was a fair elections. Because every one gets what they want from this elections-

Now muslim will get
*More plitical power
*Hijab in classroom
*PFI & SDPI will be back to action.
*More reservation
*Sharia law
*More madarasas
*More mosques in the state
*More donation
*More money from Hindu temples.
*More haj yatre
*More halal restaurants
*More cow slaughtering
*More loud speakers
*More love jihad
*More corruption
*More terror
*More conversion
And finally dream of converting to a Islamic state.

Hindus also got what they want - liquor and cooker.

We have proved again & again that we don't have unity.

Next 5 ವರುಷ ಮಣ್ಣು ತಿನ್ನಿ.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
this delhi ordinance is a new low. lost (twice) in state elections, lost at the court. so just overturn everything.

no point in having state govts at all. CBI, ED, buying MLAs, splitting parties, court case, making it a UT, ordinance...whatever they like, they will do.