India tour to Australia

ColvaleGoa

We're looking like absolute jackasses here. If you're going to attack do it properly. If you're looking to get set in, don't play those stupid shots.

Australia will believe they can win this, now. Good job, you morons. You had to feck up something didn't you?
Australia are not going to chase anything here.Only Rain can save them now!

MJJ

We're looking like absolute jackasses here. If you're going to attack do it properly. If you're looking to get set in, don't play those stupid shots.

Australia will believe they can win this, now. Good job, you morons. You had to feck up something didn't you?
And I thought united fans were harsh.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Hang on just a minute. This decision was 100% correct. Its important to rest the bowlers ahead of the 4th test match which starts as early as next week. Rain is forecast for tomorrow whereas Sunday is meant to be fine.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Calm down guys, weather permitting India have this in the bag. The execution has been awful, sticking to tradition we have to feck something up somewhere in a match but the decision was correct to bat again. If Aussies were put in again and somehow had a great second innings we’d be batting last.

I wouldn’t be confident of this lot chasing 150 under pressure. With the rain around just declare overnight, the Aussies aren’t getting these runs

zing

Zingle balls
Did we earlier have more Australians in the cricket threads?

Melbourne Red was sort of one..

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Cummins has made it an unlkikey chance that we can win this game.

Not going to happen mind but good fast bowling from him and not to mention Bumrah has had a ripper of a game.

MDFC Manager

Pant tainting Paine :lol:

Hopefully this will end today so the bowlers get some rest before the slogfest at Sydney. Whereas the Aussies should really be batting for time today.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Fourth time Travis Head has been dismissed thanks to a poor shot.

JezChan

Rain forecast for the morning, but forecast is shifting the rain earlier and earlier. Looks like there should be plenty of play tomorrow.

Hope Lyon and Hazlewood have enough staying power to give Cummins a chance for a ton (and an extremely unlikely win?)

Di Maria's angel

Why can't we dismiss Cummins? Pretty sure we made Curran look way better than what he'll turn out to be.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I've been watching a bit of the series and here are my thoughts.
1. As an Englishman watching India perform in Australia really puts England's performance last summer in perspective. England thrashed a test side that are a World class bowling outfit nowadays in all types of conditions.
2. Shaun Marsh looks like the best batsman in the World until he gets out, usually before he reaches 50. If he can sort out the mental side of his game I think he'll be the World's premier test batsman, even better than Kohli or Smith. But of course, the mental side of test cricket is probably the hardest skill to master...
3. Bumrah is an absolute joy to watch. But it's a miracle he stays fit at all with that action. I can't imagine him having a long career as a fast bowler.
4. Kohli's behaviour is like a petulant child. I don't even think he's a particularly good captain in terms of his field placements and strategy. But he's got a massive pair of balls, you have to give him that.
5. Cummings is the best fast bowler in the World (when fit...) and a dangerous lower order batsman to boot.
6. Australia's batting is extremely vulnerable without Bancroft, Warner and Smith.
7. I'm stating the bleeding obvious...

Di Maria's angel

1. As an Englishman watching India perform in Australia really puts England's performance last summer in perspective. England thrashed a test side that are a World class bowling outfit nowadays in all types of conditions.
2. Shaun Marsh looks like the best batsman in the World until he gets out, usually before he reaches 50. If he can sort out the mental side of his game I think he'll be the World's premier test batsman, even better than Kohli or Smith. But of course, the mental side of test cricket is probably the hardest skill to master...
3. Bumrah is an absolute joy to watch. But it's a miracle he stays fit at all with that action. I can't imagine him having a long career as a fast bowler.
4. Kohli's behaviour is like a petulant child. I don't even think he's a particularly good captain in terms of his field placements and strategy. But he's got a massive pair of balls, you have to give him that.
5. Cummings is the best fast bowler in the World (when fit...) and a dangerous lower order batsman to boot.
6. Australia's batting is extremely vulnerable without Bancroft, Warner and Smith.
Maybe not but the other side to his captaincy has been incredible. He took the same (useless) bowlers we have under Dhoni and convinced them they were world beaters. We are where we are because of Kohli. He's an incredible captain.

I reckon United could appoint him as manager and he'd lead us to the title.

As for Pat Cummins, I don't agree. Other than when our batsmen gave it away, he's barely threatened to get a wicket. He's not close to being the best bowler in the world.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Maybe not but the other side to his captaincy has been incredible. He took the same (useless) bowlers we have under Dhoni and convinced them they were world beaters. We are where we are because of Kohli. He's an incredible captain.

I reckon United could appoint him as manager and he'd lead us to the title.
It's difficult to argue against that. His style captaincy is exactly what India needed.

Di Maria's angel

It's difficult to argue against that. His style captaincy is exactly what India needed.
Just a little stat since Kohli took over:

Bowling averages since late 2014:

Shami: 106 wickets at 26.11 (career average: 29.5)
Bhuvi: 35 wickets at 22.77 (26.1)
Ishant: 79 wickets at 27.54 (34.40)
Yadav: 76 wickets at 31.5 (33.47)
Bumrah 47 wickets at 21.46

Incredible numbers for a country that, IIRC, has only ever had one fast bowler average under 30 in test matches.

JezChan

Shaun Marsh was, is, and forever will be a donkey. He's 35, and the fact that he, Head and Mitch Marsh are in the middle order is a serious indictment on the paucity of quality batting in Australian first class cricket.

Our bowling on the other hand... to have guys like James Pattinson (who has a higher batting than bowling average in Tests and FC cricket) out of the squad is unreal.

Cummins to open the batting in Sydney :wenger:

AshRK

With all due respect to the English side (who are far better than this aussie side) the scoreline of 4-1 was flattering. We should have won the first and fourth test. Toss played crucial role in all the matches. Still feel india missed a golden chance to beat England in England. The series was much closer than what you guys produced back in 2016 in india.

I hope we win this series as we have been bottling a lot of matches. This would give us immense confidence of actually doing well in future.

KM

Australia should really drop Mitch Marsh(hot take, I know) and play Cummins as an all rounder if they're so obsessed over playing an all rounder.

Finch as an opener needs to be dropped too. Ideally you play someone like Burns as an opener.

KM

Shaun Marsh was, is, and forever will be a donkey. He's 35, and the fact that he, Head and Mitch Marsh are in the middle order is a serious indictment on the paucity of quality batting in Australian first class cricket.

Our bowling on the other hand... to have guys like James Pattinson (who has a higher batting than bowling average in Tests and FC cricket) out of the squad is unreal.

Cummins to open the batting in Sydney :wenger:
Don't think Starc has looked anything special in this whole series. Infact I'd say that out of the six pacers, he has by far looked the worse. Perhaps drop him for Pattinson?

JezChan

Don't think Starc has looked anything special in this whole series. Infact I'd say that out of the six pacers, he has by far looked the worse. Perhaps drop him for Pattinson?
I agree that Starc's been wayward this series. I wouldn't say he's been definitively the worst, since I've also been largely unimpressed with Shami as well. By far, Ishant, Bumrah, Cummins and Lyon have been the most threatening this series IMO.

The case for a left-armer will always be there as long as Lyon is playing, especially so when there are so many right-handed batsmen in the Indian lineup.

Di Maria's angel

Also, re: all those dicussing racism in Australia.

Be careful before you tar everyone with the same brush. There will always be bad apples in every bunch, and it's easy to vilify a community based on the actions of a few.

I've experienced racism myself in this country, being born in Hong Kong but having grown up in Melbourne since age 1. It happens, it's disgusting, and I wish it didn't exist.

Play the ball, not the man.

Easy there. Take it from someone who's lived/studied/worked in Melbourne, Texas, Coventry, Germany... there are bad people everywhere, and good people everywhere.

FYI the response to Cape Town is borne from a deep-seated desire to win fairly, e.g. Gilchrist walking. Aussies don't always get it right, but the desire is to be above board, and not to systemically fall into bad practices in the area of ball-tampering (c.f. Du Plessis with lollies, Afridi biting the ball).

Call us out on the inconsistency. Don't call us s**tholes.
There's nothing inconsistent about consistently being racist.

sport2793

@JezChan I think the fact that this sort of thing is happening on a live international broadcast is what makes it different from your usual casual banter aka racism.

Djemba-Djemba

With all due respect to the English side (who are far better than this aussie side) the scoreline of 4-1 was flattering. We should have won the first and fourth test. Toss played crucial role in all the matches. Still feel india missed a golden chance to beat England in England. The series was much closer than what you guys produced back in 2016 in india.

I hope we win this series as we have been bottling a lot of matches. This would give us immense confidence of actually doing well in future.
The series was closer than 4-1 but England definitely deserved to win it. India continuously blew strong positions, if it happens once then maybe it's unlucky but if you do it 3 or 4 times in a series you deserve to lose.

And yeah England were terrible in 2016 but in general we have a very good recent record against India. We've won 4 of the last 5 test series.

MDFC Manager

1 gone, Bumrah :D

And done! This is a big win given how it's come about

Last edited:

jungledrums

Toss played a crucial role this test too did it not? India batted while the deck was at its best. By all accounts from commentators, Tim Paine etc, the pitch deteriorated rapidly after day one, making batting nightmarish thereafter. But let me be clear - that’s not an excuse. India were significantly better in all facets and deserved the win.

sport2793

Toss played a crucial role this test too did it not? India batted while the deck was at its best. By all accounts from commentators, Tim Paine etc, the pitch deteriorated rapidly after day one, making batting nightmarish thereafter. But let me be clear - that’s not an excuse. India were significantly better in all facets and deserved the win.
The pitch did not deteriorate rapidly, mate. That was just an excuse given by the commentators to justify the poor Australian 1st innings total. Australia would not have scored 260 odd in the second innings if the pitch had deteriorated. India threw away their wickets in their second innings.

Sanche7

Nope.
"The pitch was a good one, although some said it's a 'bad wicket'. I was glad I didn't win the toss, because I wanted to bowl anyway. Would've looked disastrous"
That's Tim Paine in the post match interview.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Nope.
"The pitch was a good one, although some said it's a 'bad wicket'. I was glad I didn't win the toss, because I wanted to bowl anyway. Would've looked disastrous"
He’s such a moron if that’s true (and not simply saying they would have bowled out of bravado) Best way to beat this India side is to bat first and make them chase since they aren’t the best at chasing above 200 in the fourth innings.

jungledrums

The pitch did not deteriorate rapidly, mate. That was just an excuse given by the commentators to justify the poor Australian 1st innings total. Australia would not have scored 260 odd in the second innings if the pitch had deteriorated. India threw away their wickets in their second innings.
That may be true also. Would be interested to hear analysis from non-aussies. Obviously the Aus batting lineup is disastrously fragile, yet it still looked like the pitch offered more later in the test (even in Australia’s second innings). Genuinely not sure though. Could be as you said. I mean the undeniable fact is that batting last in test cricket is almost always the worst time to bat. The pitch almost always becomes worse to bat on. That’s just the truth.
Nope.
Yes I heard the quote. He also said it deteriorated rapidly hence why he said it would’ve been a terrible decision.

Sanche7

Yes I heard the quote. He also said it deteriorated rapidly hence why he said it would’ve been a terrible decision.
Yeah but my point is the toss wouldn't have mattered because both captains got what they wanted and even if Australia had won the toss they would have bowled. So the argument that the toss played a big part in the outcome of the game not valid here.
The Australians misread the pitch just like the Indians did in the second test.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
As for Pat Cummins, I don't agree. Other than when our batsmen gave it away, he's barely threatened to get a wicket. He's not close to being the best bowler in the world.
Pat Cummins role in this team is effectively the water carrier and support for the two strike bowlers in Hazlewood and Starc. He has a role much like Gillespie, Kaspowitz, and Stuart Clark has years previously where their general role is to keep bowling tight and keep runs low. Steyn is still the best fast bowler in cricket by a country fecking mile but cummins has potential. Much like Glen McGrath he will mature like a fine wine.

KM

The series was closer than 4-1 but England definitely deserved to win it. India continuously blew strong positions, if it happens once then maybe it's unlucky but if you do it 3 or 4 times in a series you deserve to lose.

And yeah England were terrible in 2016 but in general we have a very good recent record against India. We've won 4 of the last 5 test series.
To be fair as I've said earlier, England did win all the tosses I think. Its shit that tosses are becoming such an important part of test cricket.

This series is another example.

MDFC Manager

Pat Cummins role in this team is effectively the water carrier and support for the two strike bowlers in Hazlewood and Starc. He has a role much like Gillespie, Kaspowitz, and Stuart Clark has years previously where their general role is to keep bowling tight and keep runs low. Steyn is still the best fast bowler in cricket by a country fecking mile but cummins has potential. Much like Glen McGrath he will mature like a fine wine.
By what metric?