India tour to Australia

prateik

India batting again. Don't think they are worried about the rain too much

prateik

The usual openers will open... Was kinda hoping for Rohit and Pant.. Going for a quickfire 100 - 150 before declaring

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I think we're gonna bat till a while after lunch tomorrow before declaring again.

Kohli and Co must have figured that is easier to bat now than on a 5th day pitch, and are making sure we give Australia an unchaseable target for their second innings. 300 can be done with some spirited batting. 450 plus? Not so much.

We're making absolutely sure there is no way for them back into the game

MDFC Manager

That is definitely not happening.. early tomorrow at best..
Surely gotta declare overnight?!

Hang on, it's day 3. For some reason I have been thinking it's day 4 :wenger:

Bat away lads. Declare before tea tomorrow

prateik

3 down.. what a shit show..
28 runs after 15 overs.. What exactly is the game plan here?

prateik

I think the runs are probably already enough.. idea must be to give the bowlers a rest till tomorrow.. But why play so slow.. surely it would have made more sense to attack.. get as much as possible in the 30 overs we had to bat..

kps88

I think the runs are probably already enough.. idea must be to give the bowlers a rest till tomorrow.. But why play so slow.. surely it would have made more sense to attack.. get as much as possible in the 30 overs we had to bat..
It's not an easy pitch to accelerate on. Kohli and Pujara got out straight away when they tried to attack. I think we would have been better off just playing normal cricket. There is still plenty of time and runs left, so we don't need to start playing crazy shots.

prath92

They went out with attacking intent and paid the price. The pitch, contrary to what Mitchell Johnson claims, isn’t a road after all

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
We're looking like absolute jackasses here. If you're going to attack do it properly. If you're looking to get set in, don't play those stupid shots.

Australia will believe they can win this, now. Good job, you morons. You had to feck up something didn't you?

jungledrums

Agree. Hard to understand the game plan though. Having bowled only 60 overs, did the Indian bowlers really need a rest?

iKnowNothing

Agree. Hard to understand the game plan though. Having bowled only 60 overs, did the Indian bowlers really need a rest?
I think there is more to it than just 60 odd overs. Imagine that in the second innings the Australian batsmen stick around a little - then you're looking at the bowlers tiring out before bowling them out. Eventually if and when they do get bowled out and Indians need to chase around 100-150 then they're gonna be batting last on this pitch

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
I think we wanted to make sure the chase was beyond them. And better to get our runs now than struggle on day 5, if Australia somehow get their noses in front.

The way we've batted this second innings, though is embarrassing. The wickets had nothing to with the pitch, it was just stupid shot selection.

The repercussions of this are also psychological - while we're wasting more time scoring at less than 2 an over after that collapse, Australia will now be encouraged by how they got back into the game, and know that they now have some chance of chasing the total down.

Last edited:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The feck we are doing?

KM

I think we wanted to make sure the chase was beyond them. And better to get our runs now than struggle on day 5, if Australia somehow get their noses in front.

The way we've batted this second innings, though is embarrassing. The wickets had nothing to with the pitch, it was just stupid shot selection.

The repercussions of this are also psychological - while we're wasting more time scoring at less than 2 an over after that collapse, Australia will now be encouraged by how they got back into the game, and know that they now have some chance of chasing the total down.
Yeah they're not chasing 350 in the fourth innings.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Virat Kohli may be the best batsman in the world, but he's a terrible terrible decision maker as a captain. Misreading the pitch in the second test, and not enforcing a follow on in the third will be how he'll be remembered at the end of this series.

Absolute jackasses out there in that batting order.

Gandalf Greyhame

Scout
Yeah they're not chasing 350 in the fourth innings.
You would have said the same about not collapsing to 45-5 in our second innings. Who knows?

Momentum back in their favour, and instead of tightening the screws, we've popped the lid open, fallen over backwards onto the screwdriver and stabbed ourselves in the arse.

prateik

Agarwal has pretty much cemented his place in the side for the near future.

zing

Zingle balls
I think the decision to not enforce the following on was the right one - rain permitting. I am assuming they know enough about the weather to be not worried about it. Taking that out, this has been a long series and the Australians batted for 67 overs even though they made just 150.

The third innings has been a disaster however. 60-70 more will be good.

KM

I think the decision to not enforce the following on was the right one - rain permitting. I am assuming they know enough about the weather to be not worried about it. Taking that out, this has been a long series and the Australians batted for 67 overs even though they made just 150.

The third innings has been a disaster however. 60-70 more will be good.
Yeah if we get around 120 in total, that should be over.

Not that I think Aussies are chasing 350.

Sanche7

Virat Kohli may be the best batsman in the world, but he's a terrible terrible decision maker as a captain. Misreading the pitch in the second test, and not enforcing a follow on in the third will be how he'll be remembered at the end of this series.

Absolute jackasses out there in that batting order.
The pitch is expected to open up as the game goes on. I'm not saying it would have happened but what if Australia managed to bat till lunch of day 5,get a 100,120 run lead and India have to bat on a deteriorating pitch which was acting crazy from day 1.
This is the safer approach, get 100 - 150 in say 70 overs and ask Australia to chase 400 plus in say 150 overs. India can thus ensure that they don't loose the game.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
It's not an easy pitch to accelerate on. Kohli and Pujara got out straight away when they tried to attack. I think we would have been better off just playing normal cricket. There is still plenty of time and runs left, so we don't need to start playing crazy shots.
Kohli and Pujara were not trying to play attacking shots, they just fell into a simple trap.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Not enforcing the follow on was not a howler but the game plan while batting made no sense. Batting out time doesn't favor us in anyway.

zing

Zingle balls
Not enforcing the follow on was not a howler but the game plan while batting made no sense. Batting out time doesn't favor us in anyway.
Not just in the 2nd innings. The 1st innings last couple of sessions we were disorganized the same way.

The game is still with us. They have to declare by lunch tomorrow, and need to play appropriately in the morning.

kps88

Kohli and Pujara were not trying to play attacking shots, they just fell into a simple trap.
Dunno. I don't think Pujara would have gotten out like that if we didn't have such a big lead.

Anyway, it's no big deal. We should win this easily.