India vs England

NinjaFletch

Indian players don't look like sportsmen. Most of them are far too overweight, Chawla looks like a cannonball, small and round, and he's not the only one. Surely with the amount of cash in the Indian game...players ought to show more professionalism? Frankly I'm embarrassed to call the game a sport thesedays. Darts anyone?
I'd disagree, India are the exception. Most other national teams are fitter then they've ever been. England have a pretty notorious fitness regime and the reason Patel didn't play sooner is because the fat bastard couldn't stop eating Pies long enough to get himself into the team.

Besides, you've never actually needed to be 'fit' to play cricket. Just 'fit for cricket', India's problem is that the bunch of fatsos they have might be fit for bowling or fit for batting, but they're not fit for fielding.

Spoony

The People's President
You only have to be fit enough to play 20/20 nowadays.
Fitter players, better team. Fielding, running between the wickets and bowling could be immensely improved. Just look at how fit rugby players are thesedays compared to how they were when the code was amateur.

Spoony

The People's President
I'd disagree, India are the exception. Most other national teams are fitter then they've ever been. England have a pretty notorious fitness regime and the reason Patel didn't play sooner is because the fat bastard couldn't stop eating Pies long enough to get himself into the team.

Besides, you've never actually needed to be 'fit' to play cricket. Just 'fit for cricket', India's problem is that the bunch of fatsos they have might be fit for bowling or fit for batting, but they're not fit for fielding.
Frankly I have wouldn't have Samit anywhere near the first team. Following a fitness regime is a show of dedication, all players must show it.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Fitter players, better team. Fielding, running between the wickets and bowling could be immensely improved. Just look at how fit rugby players are thesedays compared to how they were when the code was amateur.
What I find interesting is that India who have promoted 20/20 so widely, haven't really improved on those fundamental facets. Especially when fielding and strike rotation is so critical in that format.

Spoony

The People's President
What I find interesting is that India who have promoted 20/20 so widely, haven't really improved on those fundamental facets. Especially when fielding and strike rotation is so critical in that format.
Indeed. It's high octane stuff. I simply can't understand the amateurish nature of Indian players.

Spoony

The People's President
Indian spinners aren't spinners, though. When was the last time they actually produced a quality one? Kumble? Harbajhan...at a stretch?

NinjaFletch

Frankly I have wouldn't have Samit anywhere near the first team. Following a fitness regime is a show of dedication, all players must show it.
I wouldn't either, but mostly because I can't stand bit part players. If you're an all rounder great, but you need to be in the team on the virtue of one or the other, or in very rare cases, on the virtue of both. Players like Samit who's batting and bowling isn't good enough but has been in the team because he can bowl better than say Morgan or Root infuriate me.

ArmchairCritic

Indian spinners aren't spinners, though. When was the last time they actually produced a quality one? Kumble? Harbajhan...at a stretch?
That's what I mean, I wonder if their ability is compromised and affected adversely by 20/20 where they are reluctant to flight the ball and don't get a chance to work over the Batsman.

Spoony

The People's President
I wouldn't either, but mostly because I can't stand bit part players. If you're an all rounder great, but you need to be in the team on the virtue of one or the other, or in very rare cases, on the virtue of both. Players like Samit who's batting and bowling isn't good enough but has been in the team because he can bowl better than say Morgan or Root infuriate me.
There's an argument that 20/20 will be the single biggest reason why most future generation players will be bits and pieces cricketers.

Spoony

The People's President
That's what I mean, I wonder if their ability is compromised and affected adversely by 20/20 where they are reluctant to flight the ball and don't get a chance to work over the Batsman.
Perhaps, but DRS is a great help to spinners, it's a shame India have shunned the technology.

NinjaFletch

There's an argument that 20/20 will be the single biggest reason why most future generation players will be bits and pieces cricketers.
Probably, I can accept it in T20 though because a breezy 15-20 and 1 or 2 tight overs are a helpful contribution in that format.

In Tests it helps no ones.

Spoony

The People's President
Probably, I can accept it in T20 though because a breezy 15-20 and 1 or 2 tight overs are a helpful contribution in that format.

In Tests it helps no ones.
Of course. But that's the problem the ultra short format of the game is the cash cow. Most kids will want to play for massive amounts in the IPL or equivalent big money tournament. We're seeing the game evolve in front of our eyes.

ArmchairCritic

Perhaps, but DRS is a great help to spinners, it's a shame India have shunned the technology.
One thing I've found interesting is that Sunil Narine who had everyone foxed in the IPL last year, averages 48 with the ball in 5 tests against the might of England, New Zealand and Bangladesh.

Spoony

The People's President
Everyone was flummoxed in the IPL. 24 wickets @ 13.50 a pop and an Economy of 5.47. Not looked as difficult in Test Cricket by a long stretch, intrigued me that.
It's more difficult to get wickets in test cricket, perhaps he simply doesn't have enough in his locker to think batsmen out.

ArmchairCritic

Perhaps I'm reading this all wrong.
What I'm saying is in IPL he looked like he has plenty of ability flummoxing very gifted Indian Batsmen, now that he's made the step up it seems that he doesn't have that variation. Basically 20/20 isn't the right way to bring up cricketers, it definitely creates a false sense of skills.

Spoony

The People's President
What I'm saying is in IPL he looked like he has plenty of ability flummoxing very gifted Indian Batsmen, now that he's made the step up it seems that he doesn't have that variation. Basically 20/20 isn't the right way to bring up cricketers, it definitely creates a false sense of skills.
Yeah, you could be right.

zing

Zingle balls
I believe Sunil Narine's poor figures are more due to the fact that video analysis shows an easy way to differentiate the off spinner from the other one?

The thumb stays on the ball for the off spinner. Sky showed it during one of the test matches he played in England.

We'll see how he goes in his second season in the IPL. He might still do well because IPL has too many third rate batsmen who he can use to make a career out of, just like how some ordinary batsmen look like world beaters in the IPL because there are 2-3 local Indian bowlers who they can take advantage of.

VP

The lack of athleticism in Indian cricket is embarrassing. Doubt these jokers could run a marathon between them.

On the bright side, at least we're kabbadi world champions.

zing

Zingle balls
It's not as bad as the team we had earlier this year, tbf.

And Sachin will soon by out of the team. One of the spinners will be replaced by Yadav who is athletic.

With the way they've been playing, at least one of Sehwag/Gambhir will also be out and replaced by Rahane.

So, we'll improve on that front..

TheBest

SPNTBP
Yeah 1 and half year for total clear up. 2 more years of experience and this team will be ready to challenge in Tests by 2017 :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
This test match has been poor. feck off BCCI.

TheBest

SPNTBP
A few weeks ago, N Srinivasan, the president of the BCCI gave an interview to ESPNcricinfo where he justified the India's refusal to accept DRS partially on the basis that it eroded the authority of the umpire.

"If you don't have faith in the umpire - which itself is a contradiction, as in cricket the umpire's verdict is final - if a player shows dissent you fine him," he said. "But now you're saying that I have two attempts to question the umpire's decision."
retard

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Nothing to see here, well in England. On the road to recovery after the thrashings at the hands of Pakistan and South Africa. Should make up for a splendid Ashes series :drool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
England have simply been the better team. Well done to them.

Our team has been rubbish.

kps88

Even batting on the 5th day looks so easy. What a terrible wicket for test cricket. Even worse considering the home side were the ones that needed the win.

kps88

Declare please. Give our batsmen the chance to fail one more time.

zing

Zingle balls
Harsha Bhogle tweeted saying he wants to see Sachin bat one last time, but gave a disclaimer saying he doesn't know that for a fact. .

If the last innings was Sachin's, that'd be a pretty shitty way to go.

kps88

I have a feeling it will be. A bit similar to Dravid with the way he retired after he kept getting bowled and went out on a low.

Would love to see him get a farewell test though.

1999united2008

job done I think it's fair to say, match will end as a draw for sure now, England win the series 2-1, first win in India for a long time as well, think the team really answered a lot of critics with this as well.

Jaz

England the better team throughout this series.

India... probably their worst performance in a home test series for decades.