International football beefs: who does your nation hate, and why?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
He never MENTIONED a country you did, and then posted "England (the footballing side) aren't just hated (I don't mean actually literally hated , more that people are happy to see them fail) by Argentinans, Irish and Scottish people due to misplaced arrogance though

Maybe you should have written "England (the footballing side) aren't just hated (I don't mean actually literally hated , more that people are happy to see them fail) due to arrogance whereas the Argentinans, Irish and Scottish people is due to history though"
Because he quoted a post of mine where I said that the Argentinians, Irish and Scottish hate (in a footballing sense) the English national team!

He then said that it was down to misplaced arrogance which I said wasn't the case.

Just look at the posts.

You are giving my post too much credit, a barely literate Cavan man could understand it.

It may say to you whatever you want because you are either pissed or have poor reading comprehension but what it actually says is;

"England aren't just hated by Argentinians , Irish and Scottish people due to misplaced arrogance"

It would have to say

"England are just hated by Argentinians , Irish and Scottish people due to misplaced arrogance"

You know that "Aren't" means "Are Not" right???

So it means "England are not just hated by Argentinian, Irish and Scottish people due to misplaced placed arrogance though"
You two realize you actually agree on the issue at hand, right? Can't you also agree that sometimes written text doesn't come across as intended and leave it at that? I mean, you're now discussing each other's semantics, is that really a good use of your time?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
You two realize you actually agree on the issue at hand, right? Can't you also agree that sometimes written text doesn't come across as intended and leave it at that? I mean, you're now discussing each other's semantics, is that really a good use of your time?
Yes I know we agree , he is the one that's lost.

I clarified it for him immediately but he just came back at me.

I'm well aware of Irelands history.

Which is why I said they ARENT just hated due to misplaced arrogance.

"England aren't just hated by Argentinians, Irish and Scottish people due to misplaced arrogance though"

That there is far more to it than that and the arrogance was just the cherry on top of the cake.

It's literally all there in the post that you quoted.
I was happy enough to explain my position but the chap keeps telling me that I brought up things , I'm happy not to continue the conversation.

colombianmancunian

Colombia has some weird rivalries.
With Venezuela due to being neighbors and having cultural similarities.
With Argentina, due to them being dominant over us.Here people even celebrated a 5-0 against Argentina as if we won the World Cup.
With Brazil, due to that match in 2014, during which some claim we were robbed from a legitimate goal by Yepez.

I don’t hate any NT. But I despise Loserpool and absolutely hate UEFAlona with their holier than thou attitude and the whole “humildat y valors” BS.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Here in Chile our main rivalries are with Peru for historic reasons (altough I'd say it has diminished lately) and Argentina, which was pretty one sided until the 2015-2016 Copa America finals that ignited the rivalry mainly on the argentinian side. I'd add that Pinochet's support to Thatcher during the Falklands war also propelled the hatred.

Weirdly, we have a football only (and maaaaybe rugby too) rivalry with Uruguay which isn't attributed to a particular past but to the accumulation of decades and decades of polemic matches and incidents inside and outside the field. It could be considered the southamerican thug classic, like this video shows:

Kopral Jono

Could say the same about England:

It's just a bit painful to watch how desperate they are for our attention.

I don't think Germany has big football rivalries anymore. I doubt many people are bothered by Holland and Italy has lost it's relevance a bit, too. Since they lost in 16 and started boycotting the WCs.
An argument can be made that in the past couple of decades or so, rivalry between the so-called traditional European powerhouses has died down and is being replaced instead by more recent immigration dynamics. I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Albania or Turkey ever becomes consistently good at the highest level a passionate rivalry between, say, Turkey and Germany will come about naturally.

Nothing fuels a hypothetical rivalry more than a perception of grievance on one hand and a dose of xenophobia on the other.

croadyman

As an argentinean I really don’t hate dutch people nor their players, it was a competitive match where both teams tried to take advantage and it turned out bad, nothing more. I hate Madrid fans and Mexicans, but only in football matters.
Know this completely off topic but as an Argentinian who would you appoint to get England over the line in a major tournament

Pocho

Know this completely off topic but as an Argentinian who would you appoint to get England over the line in a major tournament
Klopp, Zidane or Ancelotti but I don’t know if a foreign coach would be accepted by the english people.

Kulspruta

Colombia has some weird rivalries.
With Venezuela due to being neighbors and having cultural similarities.

With Brazil, due to that match in 2014, during which some claim we were robbed from a legitimate goal by Yepez.
The one in which Zuniga assaulted Neymar and almost made him paraplegic?

Kulspruta

Not so much a beef my country (Brazil) has with other countries, but the reason the whole world aside from Europe has the majority of people cheering for Brazil is european colonialism, since Brazil always has the highest chance of beating european countries that plundered most nations. That and the fact that our tradition in football rewards the ballers, the skillfull players and entertainment, while european leagues put a lot of money into taking the word “game” out of the game.

Amsterdammed

Supports
Ajax
As a Dutch i remember big a rivalry against the Germans. Especially in the 80´s and 90´s. Before the Euro 2004 (in the same groupstage) some German and also Dutch marketing agencies made some funny tv commercials. Dutch vacationtourists vs. German Grandma. And they made more video´s before the start of a WC or Euro

Video dutch vacationtourist in Germany (made by the dutch)
Dutch and German tourists (made by the Germans)
German earplugs (made by the Germans?)
MC Donalds (made by the Dutch and Germans)
WC 2010 (made by the dutch)

And a lot more ...

Maybe a big rival for the Dutch is now Belgium....but that sounds especially for the Belgium fans. Think the Dutch don´t really care. Netherlands vs Argentina is always emotional. Maybe the Argies still angry about Jorge Zorreguita wasn´t invite for the wedding of his daughter with the Dutch king Willem Alexander ;) Netherlands - Portugal is always an emotional fight too.

More rivals i know:

Brasil Argentina
Serbia Albania
Poland-Russia
England-Scotland

Antarion

Germany's rivalries are with Netherlands and Italy. As far as I know, France don't really have actual rivalries with anyone, maybe at some point there was a one sided one with Germany due to Battiston and Schumacher but it's not actually a thing nowadays.
I think Netherland rivalry is vanishing. It was big around 70-80 with Germany maybe even during nineties still but I think it younger generations don't care for them as much and vice versa?

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Didn't El Salvador and Honduras have a war over football?
El Salvador and Honduras did not have a war over football. However, there was a brief period of conflict between the two countries known as the Football War or the Soccer War in 1969.

The conflict arose due to a number of underlying political, economic, and social tensions between El Salvador and Honduras. The trigger for the conflict was a series of football matches between the national teams of the two countries, which were part of the qualification process for the 1970 World Cup.

The matches were highly charged and accompanied by violence between fans and clashes between the two countries' armed forces. The conflict quickly escalated and eventually led to a brief but intense period of fighting between El Salvador and Honduras.

Although the Football War only lasted for a few weeks, it resulted in thousands of casualties and caused significant damage to both countries. It ultimately ended with a ceasefire and the establishment of a peace agreement mediated by the Organization of American States.

In summary, while El Salvador and Honduras did not have a war over football, their brief conflict in 1969 was triggered by a series of football matches between the two countries.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This is the bit I don't believe at all. No other team except England looks at the different teams they might face and tries to work out whether they can hope to win the games? No other country's media gives their team any chance of winning it until they're a couple of goals up in the final? No-one, ahead of a tournament, takes any time at all to try to judge what their chances are?
Nah.

Brazil's media didn't talk up the teams chances of beating Korea, and then of beating Croatia? I don't believe that for a second.

So - what is the reason why you see and resent all of the stuff about England, but none of the stuff about other countries?

I have a pet theory that the problem is language. Simply because English is the lingua franca of the world means that everything that is said about the England team is seen by the world. Whereas basically no-one outside the target countries gets to hear Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany talking up their own team.

But of course it could just be people who want to hold a grudge against the country, so they pounce on anything they can choose to perceive as something to beat them around the head with.
I think you're on the money there re the bit in bold.

Pintu

You're in for a rough few years with Timo Werner if that's one of the reasons Germans dislike Italy.
Not the same… Italy seemed to get away with cheating (a little bit of stereotypes there)… Werner is not gonna get away with anything in VAR-era.

LittleP14

Funny how serious people take the "Its Coming Home" thing. Its said 99% of the time tongue in cheek - no proper English football fan ever expects us to win the tournament!

Pocho

As a Dutch i remember big a rivalry against the Germans. Especially in the 80´s and 90´s. Before the Euro 2004 (in the same groupstage) some German and also Dutch marketing agencies made some funny tv commercials. Dutch vacationtourists vs. German Grandma. And they made more video´s before the start of a WC or Euro

Video dutch vacationtourist in Germany (made by the dutch)
Dutch and German tourists (made by the Germans)
German earplugs (made by the Germans?)
MC Donalds (made by the Dutch and Germans)
WC 2010 (made by the dutch)

And a lot more ...

Maybe a big rival for the Dutch is now Belgium....but that sounds especially for the Belgium fans. Think the Dutch don´t really care. Netherlands vs Argentina is always emotional. Maybe the Argies still angry about Jorge Zorreguita wasn´t invite for the wedding of his daughter with the Dutch king Willem Alexander ;) Netherlands - Portugal is always an emotional fight too.

More rivals i know:

Brasil Argentina
Serbia Albania
Poland-Russia
England-Scotland
jajajajan nahh feck him, that wedding was so emotional that I literally cried when that artist performed so well Adios Nonino. Beautiful

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
You're in for a rough few years with Timo Werner if that's one of the reasons Germans dislike Italy.
I'm not from Germany, nor do I live there. Being from a smaller country we all tend to pick a top European club. My big brother picked Man Utd, I picked the opponents Bayern. 99 final.

youmeletsfly

We Romanians hate Hungary for various political and traditional matters. It's feisty when we face each other.

Other than that, we don't have beef with anyone cause we're shit at footie anyway. We're like an open legs prostitute for anyone.

Maybe now some new beef with Austria given they voted against our entry in Schengen.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We Romanians hate Hungary for various political and traditional matters. It's feisty when we face each other.

Other than that, we don't have beef with anyone cause we're shit at footie anyway. We're like an open legs prostitute for anyone.

Maybe now some new beef with Austria given they voted against our entry in Schengen.
It's such a terrible move, Romania is seemingly full of beautiful women, let them in! :lol:

Otherwise, you don't have local rivalries from the Hagi era, you were good at the time?

Sildegil

As a frenchman, I dont think we have strong hates in football.

For a long time, it was germany because of 1982 but even for me, who was borned few years earlier, I dont have this antagonism.

Personnaly, as long as I can remember, I have always hated diving/cheating teams. For a long time, those were Italy, Portugal and many balkan countries. Nowadays, I cant stand Spain passing games and south americans teams' antics.

youmeletsfly

It's such a terrible move, Romania is seemingly full of beautiful women, let them in! :lol:

Otherwise, you don't have local rivalries from the Hagi era, you were good at the time?
It is, but stay away from them, they eat hard earned money, not food. :))

Nothing local in terms of rivalries other than Hungary, we're pretty chill.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I actually like the England players. Grealish, comes across a s a bit of a knob but is kind hearted, Rashford has done good things with school meals etc, Bellingham seems to have a mature head on his shoulders. Overall they seem a good bunch. I also follow English football more than Scottish football.

It's the pundits that let the side down in my opinion. Something English people won't grasp (or be much less aware of) is just how incessant the media can be from all angles and during a World Cup when you have a good team and anything could happen, it's almost smothering. There is a distinct air of arrogance around the pundits too which just irks a lot of people. This is essentially a mixture of pride and excitement interpreted as arrogance by others I feel.

Quite frankly, as a Scottish man, I have a deep jealousy of the quality of the English squad. It's frustrating that we cant achieve the same things given how much people love it here too. I know we are absolute pants, which is why I jumped and screamed the hardest I've ever done so when we got through to the Euros. Inevitably, we were promptly shat out again but hey.

So when England go out of a major competition, from my perspective, there's a fair bit of schadenfreude towards the pundits who have previously shown that arrogance. However, I genuinely feel for the players - it's gutting for them. I feel for the United players and hope they do ok mentally from this, more so Harry Kane. Thats my two cents. Many Scottish people are too proud to admit the English team have huge potential, but I said to my wife that I expect them to win a major tournament at least once or twice in my lifetime (I'm 33).

With regards teams I hate...I don't hate any to be honest, but I've always had a disliking of Morocco because they beat us 3-0 in France 98 and I had diarrhoea at the time...but now I'm conflicted because I kinda want to see them do well...

Amsterdammed

Supports
Ajax
jajajajan nahh feck him, that wedding was so emotional that I literally cried when that artist performed so well Adios Nonino. Beautiful

Me too, it was a perfect moment with the tears from Maxima.......cheers!

Last edited:

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
As a frenchman, I dont think we have strong hates in football.

For a long time, it was germany because of 1982 but even for me, who was borned few years earlier, I dont have this antagonism.

Personnaly, as long as I can remember, I have always hated diving/cheating teams. For a long time, those were Italy, Portugal and many balkan countries. Nowadays, I cant stand Spain passing games and south americans teams' antics.
Do you hate yourselves as well due to Henry's handball? One of the biggest cheating incidents of all time?

Portugal we beef with ourselves, always downplaying and putting down our own team (guilty as charged).

Spark

Do you hate yourselves as well due to Henry's handball? One of the biggest cheating incidents of all time?

Portugal we beef with ourselves, always downplaying and putting down our own team (guilty as charged).
On that note, don't the Dutch hate themselves too?

As an England fan, I've pretty much always enjoyed winning (by always enjoy, I mean the thought of) against big teams in tournaments. But we're so shit historically vs our size that we actually rarely play decent teams in games that matter. Even vs France there was zero animosity. I actually struggle to back England except in significant games - does every other nation hate friendlies too and actively gives zero fecks whether their team wins or loses?

In terms of international teams I like to see do well, always been fond of Holland. Dunno if it's a common English thing, but always seen the Dutch as footballing allies - probably for the only reason that they also hate the Germans? Honestly no idea why, just find myself supporting them with a passion. Felt like the entire pub was gutted when they lost to Argentina.

Sildegil

I definitly hate when our players are diving. As skilled and physically gifted as he is, there is no reason for him to dive, and it pisses me off when he does.

Strangely, I didnt feel too bad after Henry's hand. Diving is putting the blame on another player for no reason. It is way worse in my book. But, had I been Irish, I would have been gutted.