9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar/Arbitrium
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast
Reminder: Please don't hesitate to leave your pick to somebody if you expect to be busy while your turn is coming soon.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I still wouldn't be comfortable, all I am saying ;) I mean, the tournaments from the mid 90's onwards I have seen myself, I understood football and its tactics in that period, so that's kinda easier. And that's all I'm saying, I doubt I am alone with that und thus not surprised Pele got picked so late.
There's a fair few participants in these drafts that generally prioritise recent players that they've seen alot of, so you're not alone with that at all. Pele and Maradona were probably the obvious first choice picks if someone was intent on maximising their chances of winning this, but I agree there's other perfectly valid reasons for looking elsewhere.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I always had the impression that was kinda what these drafts are about, but whatever man.
Since I won't sit through watching some 70'S football game just for this, that's kinda a moot point
That actually is what these drafts are about, for many of us, at least, but there is no strict rule about it, obviously, you're welcome to participate in games or discussions even if don't want to expand your knowledge on pre-1974 football.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Haven't gotten my point. Of course 1974 wasn't that far from 1970, how should it be. But as someone younger and European, you never reall had a chance to see him apart from 1970 TV records. TV coverage advanced rapidly from that point on, so I know these players way better. 1974 is pretty much a turning point for Television in Germany by the way, it was the breakthrough for coloured television. Just as an example.

I'm not saying Pele doesn't deserve his merits or something, just that I can't really comment on them.
Fair enough - you are more familiar with certain players, and that's perfectly fine. But it does make your initial remark redundant:
I think we will see something like that mor often in the future.
Nothing's stopping draft managers from watching several dozen archived games featuring Pelé to get a broad sense of what his game was all about, just as someone of my age is free to watch games featuring Beckenbauer and Cruyff and Maradona in their pomp - even though we didn't watch them live (like you did). If the managers at the very top of the picking order don't want to select players they didn't see live to make a sound assessment of their game (and don't want to dive into their footage to make up for the deficit), then good luck to them, I guess.

Tuppet

International Peak Draft
  1. EAP 1. J. Cruyff
  2. Sjor 1. F. Beckenbauer
  3. Isotope 1. D. Maradona
  4. 2Mufc0 1. Pele
  5. Tuppet 1. M. Garrincha
  6. Pat Mustard
  7. Skizzo
  8. Enigma
  9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar/Arbitrium
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast
Reminder: Please don't hesitate to leave your pick to somebody if you expect to be busy while your turn is coming soon.

@Pat_Mustard

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
You would've been wrong as well.
In fairness, there are tonnes of #10s so surely you can see the logic in a Kaiser pick?

Cruyff may well be related to tactical blueprint. You know how fond EAP is of doing something ridiculous.

Maradona vs. Pelé is still a raging argument to this day.

Odd, but not wrong.

Moby

Dick
In fairness, there are tonnes of #10s so surely you can see the logic in a Kaiser pick?

Cruyff may well be related to tactical blueprint. You know how fond EAP is of doing something ridiculous.

Maradona vs. Pelé is still a raging argument to this day.

Odd, but not wrong.
Jesus Sheldon.

Pat_Mustard

International Peak Draft
  1. EAP 1. J. Cruyff
  4. 2Mufc0 1. Pele
  6. Pat Mustard 1. M. Platini
  7. Skizzo
  8. Enigma
  9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar/Arbitrium
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast

@Skizzo

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Good one, Pat. Was thinking about Platini if didn't get Maradona.

Skizzo

International Peak Draft
  1. EAP 1. J. Cruyff
  4. 2Mufc0 1. Pele
  7. Skizzo 1. Ronaldo (BRA)
  8. Enigma
  9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar/Arbitrium
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast

@Enigma_87

Pat_Mustard

Nice! That one tournament's performance by Platini is close to having a cheat code in this draft.
Good one, Pat. Was thinking about Platini if didn't get Maradona.
Aye, second only to Diego's 86 for me in this draft.
Cheers lads. I've only had Platini once before, and I'm ashamed to say we replaced him early on with Maradona solely to stop anyone else getting Diego. Hopefully I treat him better this time, as this draft should be a strong one for him.

Skizzo

Cheers lads. I've only had Platini once before, and I'm ashamed to say we replaced him early on with Maradona solely to stop anyone else getting Diego. Hopefully I treat him better this time, as this draft should be a strong one for him.
Was worth it though since it led to us beating @Edgar Allan Pillow

Although I understand it's hard to distinguish which time I'm talking about since that's been the same outcome every time

Enigma_87

You know who
Sorry lads, just came on to see my really short list wiped out(as expected). Will pick in 10-20 mins.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@Annahnomoss

I forgot to ask this earlier, but will the tournament format be the same as the 4th Sheep Draft where we had 8 teams match up against each other in 1 thread with 4 going through to the next round, or will this be more traditional?

Enigma_87

You know who

I'll go with @P-Nut0712 initial plan for this one - not to overthink it :D. So - can't go wrong with der Bomber in 1970.

Decisive goal in the opening game against Morocco. Hattricks against Bulgaria and Peru, winning goal against England and a brace in the SF against Italy. and of course being one of the best forwards in the game :drool:

Enigma_87

You know who
International Peak Draft
  1. EAP 1. J. Cruyff
  4. 2Mufc0 1. Pele
  7. Skizzo 1. Ronaldo (BRA)
  8. Enigma 1. G. Müller
  9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar/Arbitrium
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast

@oneniltothearsenal

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
My turn in this new draft already ?!?!

I need a bit of time here, maybe even a few hours, havent researched anyone and have a meeting starting shortly

Pat_Mustard

@Annahnomoss

I forgot to ask this earlier, but will the tournament format be the same as the 4th Sheep Draft where we had 8 teams match up against each other in 1 thread with 4 going through to the next round, or will this be more traditional?
I hope we opt for the more traditional format this time, as the match threads could be very informative in terms of highlighting specific performances etc given the narrower confines of this draft. The other format would also be a disincentive towards picking more obscure players who may still have had a great tournament, given the reduced scope for selling them to the voters.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
With Muller in 70 third?
While the first two are pretty clear, it's hard to distinguish the third one - from the picked ones Pele in 1970, Beckenbauer in 1972 and Cruyff in 19764 are hard to look past. Garrincha in 1962 too, and there are a couple of unpicked gems that can have a claim at this spot too.

Enigma_87

You know who
btw @Pat_Mustard want to congratulate you on that choice as well. Really outstanding tournament and hard to beat in terms of theme.

Pat_Mustard

btw @Pat_Mustard want to congratulate you on that choice as well. Really outstanding tournament and hard to beat in terms of theme.
Thanks mate :). Muller is a terrific pick too, and funny enough I was reading some quotes from Beckenbauer earlier raving about his importance to Germany's success in the 70s.

Beckenbauer:Gerd Müller was a phenomenon – he scored so many goals. Thank God he played for Bayern and the German national team. Without him, I don't think we would have won either the European Championship or the World Cup; you need players like him. He understood better than anybody how to score goals – he can thank his pace for that. At training I played against him and I never had a chance. We knew his moves but still we could not stop him – that's how fast he was.

And old formations. I was hoping for a match to argue that my 2-3-5 can win by scoring more than what we concede, which did not come to fruition.
Aye, I do see the merit to the system used in the last draft, but it does lend itself towards safer, more conventional drafting choices which we don't always want.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I'll go with @P-Nut0712 initial plan for this one - not to overthink it :D. So - can't go wrong with der Bomber in 1970.

Decisive goal in the opening game against Morocco. Hattricks against Bulgaria and Peru, winning goal against England and a brace in the SF against Italy. and of course being one of the best forwards in the game :drool:
Glad to see you're sticking to the theme. Hope to see how you end up doing with it.