Internationals June (Euro Qualifiers + Nations League Finals)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't know if I saw it on here but I remember reading about an idea for a phone app, which alerts you to any penalty shoot out happening in world football.

I'd download it.

CallyRed

Perisic hit that with his right, the man is the Ronnie O'Sullivan of football.

saivet

Only just put the game on for pens but Spain's squad on paper looks quite weak.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Feel for Croatia, that midfield has been dragging them for so long but they simply have nothing up front. I think they could have won at least 1 big title if only they had a single good striker. Alas.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I was convinced that we would lose on penalties but good to win a trophy, a small one but a trophy nonetheless.
I don't like de la Fuente very much but the national talent these days is what it is. Let's see if it gives them a bit of confidence for the qualification.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Only just put the game on for pens but Spain's squad on paper looks quite weak.
It's a weak squad overall, that's why Morocco knocked them out last WC, some of the same names that were eliminated by Russia in 2018.

The 2008-2012 generation was an anomaly for Spain, not gonna happen again.

Last edited:

Big Andy

Bloke
I'm off to OT tonight for the England game with my own two kids (who have been to the football/OT loads of times to watch United) and my step kids who have never been to a football match before, and who can't sit still for more than 5 minutes without trying to wrestle or kick the shite out of each other.

Going to be a long night.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I'm off to OT tonight for the England game with my own two kids (who have been to the football/OT loads of times to watch United) and my step kids who have never been to a football match before, and who can't sit still for more than 5 minutes without trying to wrestle or kick the shite out of each other.

Going to be a long night.
Are you going to boo City players? Oh and good luck, sounds like you might need it.

norm87cro

I just have to ask. How does Spain end up in teir 1 after being last in the last campaign against England and Croatia?

Big Andy

Bloke
Are you going to boo City players? Oh and good luck, sounds like you might need it.
To be honest, I'm not even that big of an England fan, but my kids wanted to go, and I said i'd take my missus kids with me.

I'll watch the big tournaments with my mates and get into it, but qualifiers and friendlies I'm not really bothered about tbh, so I'll probably just go and watch a game of football with hopefully a few goals and hope the kids enjoy it.

If you see any aggro in the NE Quadrant upper tier later, it'll be me knocking feck out of my missus kids.

Real Name

Quite interesting looking at this Croatia side.

World class midfield remains in place for probably one more year.

Don't know a huge amount about their CBs with Gvardiol not around and feel like Perisic at LB is an area Spain can exploit as the game goes on.

Wonder though if Croatia could challenge for the euros? Can't remember a time where so many of the major nations are in transition and have average pool of players in key positions. Belgium if they still count will be nowhere close to winning euros either with the 11 they put out last night aswell.

Would certainly rank Croatia in the top 5 contenders next summer.
Šutalo is great too so probably a Gvardiol Šutalo CB partnership for years to come with Erlić in backup who's young to. Problem is our forward line which isnt as good as defense and especially midfield but there are some forwards emerging, like Beljo who's playing for Augsgburg. Even at midfield we're set cause Majer is young and there's also Sučić from RB Salzburg who's their main man and only 20 years old.

massi83

Never watched him prior to last night I reckon?
Watched him for Croatia more than 5 times.(still not amazing sample size of course) Seems like a perfectly fine rotation player for you worth 10m, at most 15m, with zero end product on his final pass/cross or shot. Seems like none of your compatriots agree with you. And it's not like he is 19 years old and we should expect him to be much better in 5 years time. Just seems odd that you rave about him, when you have about 8-10 better players at least. If he was your top2 player it would be more reasonable. Or maybe he is great and it is just bad luck he has been average, or below, in the games I have seen. But question remains, what is he good at?

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
To be honest, I'm not even that big of an England fan, but my kids wanted to go, and I said i'd take my missus kids with me.

I'll watch the big tournaments with my mates and get into it, but qualifiers and friendlies I'm not really bothered about tbh, so I'll probably just go and watch a game of football with hopefully a few goals and hope the kids enjoy it.

If you see any aggro in the NE Quadrant upper tier later, it'll be me knocking feck out of my missus kids.
Oh dear. Hope it is a good game. I watch any football.

Real Name

Watched him for Croatia more than 5 times.(still not amazing sample size of course) Seems like a perfectly fine rotation player for you worth 10m, at most 15m, with zero end product on his final pass/cross or shot. Seems like none of your compatriots agree with you. And it's not like he is 19 years old and we should expect him to be much better in 5 years time. Just seems odd that you rave about him, when you have about 8-10 better players at least. If he was your top2 player it would be more reasonable. Or maybe he is great and it is just bad luck he has been average, or below, in the games I have seen. But question remains, what is he good at?
One post in which I asked you if you watched him is me raving about him?

Ok.

Has a good pass and shot in him, creative and nice technique about him, solid backup player in midfield for now, only 21 years old so will be a 1st choice midfielder in the future for NT. For instance he was solid in the semifinal and okayish yesterday, but far from what is he good at or he's trash comments.

massi83

One post in which I asked you if you watched him is me raving about him?

Ok.

Has a good pass and shot in him, creative and nice technique about him, solid backup player in midfield for now, only 21 years old so will be a 1st choice midfielder in the future for NT. For instance he was solid in the semifinal and okayish yesterday, but far from what is he good at or he's trash comments.
Google tells me, he is 25. If he is 21, again, I would understand. Thought you were the guy with at least 5 posts about him, maybe it was someone else.

Real Name

Google tells me, he is 25. If he is 21, again, I would understand. Thought you were the guy with at least 5 posts about him, maybe it was someone else.
I stand corrected. Nevertheless he has good 10 years ahead of him.

Yeah, it was someone else.

massi83

I stand corrected. Nevertheless he has good 10 years ahead of him.

Yeah, it was someone else.
I dont think we needed, Livaja or Petković can play as a true strike, or Kramarić but you're right about posession. We have a midfield which can or should have most of the ball, Perišić is a true winger who bombs down the left side. Pašalić is a specific player who thrives in the last 3rd and has a great feeling for a goal, not a true CM or an AM, something in between, really useful player. But if we would choose a false 9 kind of play he'd be ideal.
And Majer should start at a right wing, has a good dribbling and a nice long shot with his left, really talented player.

Saying that Gvardiol broke his nose yesterday and had a concussion. :nervous:
Nervy as fek but we did it. Last eight of the wc, creme de la creme.

Kudos to Japan, they gave us a tough tough time.
Overall we deserved this.
Liva, you monster! 3 fekin pens.

Watching Majer today it seems there's life after Luka.
What to say. Deserved by Argentina. First half hour we sort of controlled the game, had much of the ball but werent concrete in the attack again. Penalty, first problem is Lovren was completely out of position and played Alvarez onside. My 1st thought was it was a penalty, but more that I look at it more I think it wasnt. Livaković did try to play the ball and it was a collision imo. But that didnt decide the game but the 2nd goal did, we were too open for that counter and we let Alvarez run from the middle of the pitch and he had 2 lucky brakes with Juranović and Sosa trying to kick the ball out. We tried to come back in the 2nd, threw everything but again didnt have the idea or the means to endanger Martinez. Always a step too much, dilly dallying on the ball too much or the passing was too slow. Majer should have come in earlier and all in all we should have used the bench more and smarter. Kramarić as a striker is still a mystery for me, he's either invisible or takes too many touches. We had visible problems in the attack which showed yesterday again.
We can have the ball in the middle, control things but near the box we're toothless.

Then again I cant take anything from the lads, its still a big success for such a small country, they can have their heads high. So can the coach. We can talk about what should have he done and there are certainly things which should have been different but 2 semifinals on 2 WCs, last 16 in Euros and top 4 in Nations league. He deserves to stay till the Euros despite all.

You can call me a big Argentina supporter from now on. They were deadly, pounced on our mistakes and punished us. Someone said they made the right thing and peaked at the right time. Wish for them to win the thing.
Oh and Messi was phenomenal.

@IFC 1905 , @RacingClub , congrats lads!
You cant find a player like Modrić, one of the best midfielders ever imo, so in that regard there will be a downfall but not so big like some think. Majer is a tad different player bud he'll do a job, Kovačić and Brozović will play 4, 5 more years and then you have young Sučić who is a main player at RB Salzburg. Also there are some exciting young strikers out there like Šimić and Beljo. In CB we're set for the future with Gvardiol, Šutalo and Erlić.
We still lack wingers though and I dont know if there's a gem or 2 waiting to come to the scene.

Anyway whatever happens on Saturday its been an another big success. Too bad about Argentina game, we shot ourselves in the foot somewhat and lack of threat upfront finally cost us but nevertheless we're proving to be an expert team in knock out stages of world cup. For a such a small country with ton of problems its really fantastic, our national football team is a nation's trademark.

Dalić, for all his mistakes, and he should have maybe done some things differently, has a 2nd place and semifinal in 2 world cups, last 16 of Euros and Nations league final four. Our best coach by far and he'll go till the Euros at least, deserved.
We should get Majer.
Šutalo is great too so probably a Gvardiol Šutalo CB partnership for years to come with Erlić in backup who's young to. Problem is our forward line which isnt as good as defense and especially midfield but there are some forwards emerging, like Beljo who's playing for Augsgburg. Even at midfield we're set cause Majer is young and there's also Sučić from RB Salzburg who's their main man and only 20 years old.
You could be 0/2

Real Name

You could be 0/2
You needed to dig to December to prove your point. :lol:
You seem to have a lot of time on your hands.

2 of those are about how he should have been subbed in and how he'll do a job in midfield and one about how he should starg in some game. If thats me raving about him then you're right, I cant stop raving.

massi83

You needed to dig to December to prove your point. :lol:
You seem to have a lot of time at your hands.

2 of those are about how he should have been subbed in and how he'll do a job in midfield. if thats me raving about him then you're right, I cant stop raving.
Took less than 30 secs. "We should get him", or "there is life after Modric" in your midfield would still be odd comments if he were 20/21, obviously more so when he is/was 25/24 at the time of writing, that's probably why I happened to remember those comments. But yeah, I think this subject has ran it's course.

Real Name

Took less than 30 secs. "We should get him", or "there is life after Modric" in your midfield would still be odd comments if he were 20/21, obviously more so when he is/was 25/24 at the time of writing, that's probably why I happened to remember those comments. But yeah, I think this subject has ran it's course.
Long time ago, yes.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Never watched him prior to last night I reckon?
Oh come on now.
Well, i watch him regulary as you do. :)
He is (more or less) same level as Vlasic, Coric, Rog and many other our midfielders who stand out as young players (because of silky touch) so we overhype them.
He is average player. That is why he is between first 11 and bench in Rennes. On one good game for NT, come 5 where he is average at best. Yesterday he was utter dross.
If he will play more in future (in Modric's position), we are fecked.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Rashford starting for England, as are Shaw and Maguire. Squeezing Trent in midfield is definitely the right move for england imo, he can swing balls in from there, just balance it with Bellingham in for Henderson (and replace Maguire for Tomori) and you have a very nice looking side... Still will play negatively under Southgate, but almost there where it gives you a chance at least.