Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers + Friendlies)

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Still 0-0 but Canada are down to 10 following two yellows for Kaye. Panama are drawing so if everything stays the same Canada are qualified.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Panama draw 1-1 with Honduras so as far as I can tell Canada have basically qualified. They would be six points ahead of fourth (Costa Rica) with two to play and a +11 GD advantage. Costa Rica still have to host the US as well.

Edit: if Mexico win against the US then Canada qualify regardless of their result tonight.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Canada somehow lose 1-0 despite dominating most of the second half and missing some sitters. Sunday is the day.

Tarrou

i got a bit too excited when Bale scored the second and bought world cup tickets all the way to the final :lol:

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I’ve said this many times before but I’ll say it again; this is unquestionably the worst Mexican team I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. They are garbage, and there looks to be a clear dearth of talent right now.

Despite their defeat yesterday, I’m delighted that Ecuador have qualified. It’s the only South American country I have visited so far, and I’m absolutely loved it (so much variety and diversity within a relatively small area - it’s said to be a microcosm of the continent). So I became a fan of the team.

Idxomer

Maybe there is, but I can’t think of one from my memory.
Italy dominated possession but they hardly created anything in the 120 minutes.

They were great in their first two games in the Euros but they weren't the best team overall, Spain was better.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
Italy dominated possession but they hardly created anything in the 120 minutes.

They were great in their first two games in the Euros but they weren't the best team overall, Spain was better.
Tbh Spain wasn't all that either, their group stage performance was meh, and they struggled against Croatia (with ten men) and beated Switzerland on penalties.

Certainly their best game was against Italy.

I wouldn't say Spain was better, it was very even with Italy.

Still Italy should have qualified, but they choked against Macedonia, players couldn't handle the pressure of being ultra favorites.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Ravanelli to Boro
Mancini Sampdoria to Leicester.
Lombardi to Palace.

But all these were fading towards end of their career. EPL was then, like the American Soccer League is now. He he
Yeah, I'd say they were. But characters nonetheless.

Probably was Gullit, and while he was at the end of his career it did kind of open things up for those kinds of moves. Bergkamp around the same time too.
Forgot about Bergkamp. Definitely a good shout. If memory serves though, he didn't really set Italy alight.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Disapppointed Mail lost. Have some talented midfielders but not much elsewhere but would've been a new name at the tournament. Will see what happens in second leg but up against it.

Tunisia always seem to be a making up the numbers team at the world cup and can't remember many star players from there bar Trabelsi who was good at Ajax about 20 years ago. Think Khazri did alright at Sunderland a while ago but generally they don't produce memorable players compared to other African teams.

marktan

Senegal dominating atm. In terms of competitiveness I'd much rather have Senegal in the WC than Egypt.

the_cliff

Disapppointed Mail lost. Have some talented midfielders but not much elsewhere but would've been a new name at the tournament. Will see what happens in second leg but up against it.

Tunisia always seem to be a making up the numbers team at the world cup and can't remember many star players from there bar Trabelsi who was good at Ajax about 20 years ago. Think Khazri did alright at Sunderland a while ago but generally they don't produce memorable players compared to other African teams.
Doucoure has recently switched to being a Mali international, there's also been rumours that Moussa Dembele (Lyon) will switch. The problem is Mali are already quite stacked in midfield so Doucoure isn't really needed, Dembele is more important for them right now.

Tunisia usually have a core of local based players that play for them which is why the majority of their players are unheard of.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

They don't but they tend to be very professional and street-wise in qualifiers.

North African leagues in general tend to be more organized allowing for a collection of local players (alongside players in second tier leagues in Europe) that can be moulded into an effective team. Now that lack of star quality you mention hurts when they actually make it to the WC finals.

the_cliff

They don't but they tend to be very professional and street-wise in qualifiers.

North African leagues in general tend to be more organized allowing for a collection of local players (alongside players in second tier leagues in Europe) that can be moulded into an effective team. Now that lack of star quality you mention hurts when they actually make it to the WC finals.
Yup, North Africa dominate African domestic football (particularly Egypt and Tunisia). Which is probably the reason why they're the 2 North African teams that depend the least on players in the European domestic leagues.

DR Congo is probably the only other African country that can compare domestically to Egypt and Tunisia, hence why they also have a strong national team based on mainly domestic talent.

Paul_Scholes18

So few goals in african games. Why are all teams so defensive? Was the same in african cup of nations.

Even star players like Salah, Mahrez etc are doing nothing for the national sides.

Even if European teams also are defensive in tournaments you see more goals.

el3mel

Gonna celebrate this victory, as I'm definitely not looking forward to the away game.

the_cliff

No way we're qualifying. We're going to lose away.
Nah, This results suits your game plan. You will definitely get opportunities on the break, you have to hope Marmoush/Salah/Trezeguet can take advantage.

It's set up for a brilliant second leg.

el3mel

Nah, This results suits your game plan. You will definitely get opportunities on the break, you have to hope Marmoush/Salah/Trezeguet can take advantage.

It's set up for a brilliant second leg.
We didn't defend well today. Mane were running riots on his flank. We looked like we would completely collapse if we conceded one goal.

We pretty much did nothing in second half. Second leg we'll park the bus and keep on defending till we concede a goal and it'll be a shit show from there till the end.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Yup, North Africa dominate African domestic football (particularly Egypt and Tunisia). Which is probably the reason why they're the 2 North African teams that depend the least on players in the European domestic leagues.

DR Congo is probably the only other African country that can compare domestically to Egypt and Tunisia, hence why they also have a strong national team based on mainly domestic talent.
Agreed. South Africa is the weird outlier.

No way we're qualifying. We're going to lose away.
Oh stop it, you have a great chance of stealing it in Dakar

So few goals in african games. Why are all teams so defensive? Was the same in african cup of nations.

Even star players like Salah, Mahrez etc are doing nothing for the national sides.

Home advantage can be a bitch. Can't wait to see the flares in Casablanca and Tunis next week.

Away teams tend to be more cautious as a result, and rely more on counters and set pieces. Less opportunities for star players to take charge of a game, it's more of fitting into the team ethos. Mahrez had a decent game from what I saw of their match against DR Congo, but Feghouli (replaced Mahrez in the second half) had more moments running at a tired defense.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.

It's called tactical evolution, which is a code for "defensive set up".

Tier 2 and tier 3 teams just play defensive most of the time nowadays, to avoid getting spanked by better sides.

For the spectacle it's garbage, but i guess no player enjoys getting spanked 5-0 by a better team just to give the neutral viewer a beautiful game with lot of goals.

el3mel

Oh stop it, you have a great chance of stealing it in Dakar
I can't believe anyone who saw today's match can believe this.

If we qualify it'll be down to either luck or Senegal having day off and nothing else.

They're miles ahead of us.

Paul_Scholes18

It's called tactical evolution, which is a code for "defensive set up".

Tier 2 and tier 3 teams just play defensive most of the time nowadays, to avoid getting spanked by better sides.

For the spectacle it's garbage, but i guess no player enjoys getting spanked 5-0 by a better team just to give the neutral viewer a beautiful game with lot of goals.
Although in leagues you see the weaker sides getting destroyed a lot of the time. In european qualifiers the big sides score a lot more.

I get it national football is quite defensive. The few teams that play attacking football like Belgium and Germany fail tactically in the big games a lot.

England is pretty attacking against weaker sides, but go defensive against the top sides. France the same. Brasil the same.

Then you have teams like Portugal, Spain and Italy that are pretty defensive and have been for a long time, but are extremly good in attack still and can smash weaker sides.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Enjoying Ivory Coste here, playing some good stuff against France at times.

the_cliff

Although in leagues you see the weaker sides getting destroyed a lot of the time. In european qualifiers the big sides score a lot more.

I get it national football is quite defensive. The few teams that play attacking football like Belgium and Germany fail tactically in the big games a lot

England is pretty attacking against weaker sides, but go defensive against the top sides. France the same. Brasil the same.

Then you have teams like Portugal, Spain and Italy that are pretty defensive and have been for a long time, but are extremly good in attack still and can smash weaker sides.
The thing is these are the best 10 teams in Africa (barring Ivory Coast who were unlucky). It should be compared to two top teams playing against each other in the other continents. If you saw the previous round of qualifiers there were plenty of goals. The big African teams usually destroy the weaker teams as well.

The way the CAF qualifiers work is there's 10 groups of 4 and the teams that finish top are drawn and play a two legged knockout fixture to qualify for the world cup. There's not really a 'weak' team left in the CAF qualifiers at this point in time.

Algeria scored a total of 25 goals in their 6 group games, Morocco scored 20...

Paul_Scholes18

The thing is these are the best 10 teams in Africa (barring Ivory Coast who were unlucky). It should be compared to two top teams playing against each other in the other continents. If you saw the previous round of qualifiers there were plenty of goals. The big African teams usually destroy the weaker teams as well.

The way the CAF qualifiers work is there's 10 groups of 4 and the teams that finish top are drawn and play a two legged knockout fixture to qualify for the world cup. There's not really a 'weak' team left in the CAF qualifiers at this point in time.

Algeria scored a total of 25 goals in their 6 group games, Morocco scored 20...
What I wonder though is why the african sides are so defensive in general.

Yes there is more goals when the big sides player the weaker sides in all continents, but african teams just play very defensive.

It may be that they have more good defensive players over attackers, but you think the teams with higher attacking quality should do better.

Alek M

Da manic one
Just a reminder that North Macedonia has won games in Italy AND in Germany in the past 365 days. I wonder how many countries have achieved that over the course of a year, probably not many.
considering that Italy has never lost in a wc qualifier at home and Germany only twice before, I say not many have accomplished that within a decade.

Alek M

Da manic one
Italy did create stuff yesterday but were wasteful. Macedonia defended quite well. Cleaned up a lot of chances.
We were missing Elmas, our best midfielder due to yellow. He will be back against Portugal.

We have never had a good striker.
If Kolusevski decided to play for Macedonia that would have been great for somebody on the wing. Scoring a goal will be tough.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
considering that Italy has never lost in a wc qualifier at home and Germany only twice before, I say not many have accomplished that within a decade.
Let's see what they can do against Portugal.

I have a feeling Portugal will score very fast, and Macedonia will crumble, plus 37 years old Ronaldo is better than Immobile.
Those draws to Bulgaria and Switzerland, despite dominating and creating chances, thanks to Immobile and Jorginho penalties costed Italy the qualification.

The biggest mistake of Italy made was not scoring early, as time was passing italian players started to feel the pressure, and choked.

Last edited: