Internationals March (World Cup Qualifiers)

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I really hope there is a player in there and he's just suffering first season syndrome. I mean he quite clearly has talent. I'm still convinced we should try him as an 8 against lesser teams with Bruno on the pitch.
Hopefully we get some sort of pre-season this time. Think the whole team suffered early on for that.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Nuno Mendes is mental.

Great game and had a play where he smoked 3 players on his own that made my jaw drop.

Matriac

Bruno scores, I thought he was suspended
:lol: So did I! At least I hoped he was. Apparently no one or organisation can stop him.

Seems like it was VG struggling with some reporting of players. It was later changed to another player, then suddenly Bruno wasn't substituted in after all, and then 5 min before the end he wasn't on the bench at all. :lol:

kidbob

Seems like it was VG struggling with some reporting of players. It was later changed to another player, then suddenly Bruno wasn't substituted in after all, and then 5 min before the end he wasn't on the bench at all. :lol:
:lol: :lol: So good he impacts games when he isn't even there!

kidbob

Nice one! I understand the gripes about him but honestly I feel he's pushed on this year. Never will be a starter but there's been a few games where I thought if we had Hernandez he'd have a tonne of assists. I reckon he'd do very well at a PL club who have a striker who attacks the 6 yard box. A bit like Lingard I reckon he is a PL level player in the right team.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Quite honestly I am starting to get fed up with Santos. I know Luxembourg has improved over the years but I simply don’t expect nothing from this team against Germany or France at the Euros. Even Hungary, it’s dreadful to think this is the best we can play honestly.

Bertie Wooster

Quite honestly I am starting to get fed up with Santos. I know Luxembourg has improved over the years but I simply don’t expect nothing from this team against Germany or France at the Euros. Even Hungary, it’s dreadful to think this is the best we can play honestly.
I guess it's another example of a manager being a victim of their own success.

Portugal have had some great players over the decades, and the 'golden generation', and yet had never won any international competition before Santos took over 6 years ago. He's led them to their first two major trophies - Euro 2016 and 2019 Nations League - but playing a more pragmatic style than previous generations.

So now people are expecting the same level of success, but demanding it comes with a more entertaining style. That might happen of course. And would be great. But what may also happen when a team has been overachieving with results but in a pragmatic way is the successful manager leaves, and the more entertaining style of the new manager is less effective results / trophy wise.

I guess it's the age old dilemma of 'is the grass greener on the other side?' And do you stick with what's working but in a pragmatic way, or gamble on something working just as well and being more entertaining but knowing it could end up proving the wrong call and really not working as well? It's a big gamble to take.

RashyForPM

He’ll shithouse at least one lucky win against the superpowers to go with the win against Hungary. You’ll top the group.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Is it realistic that after the Euro or once Ronaldo finally reaches Ali Daei's record, he would be pushed more to the background? It just seems weird to me that a team with such attacking outlet (Jota, Neto, Joao Felix, Bernardo Silva, Bruno Fernandes) would try to shoehorn a static presence of his instead. Sure it helped in the box helps against Luxembourg, but I just think it would be too much of a burden against the bigger teams. Then again France wins stuff with Giroud in their team, however unfancy their football is.

Red Star One

Dreading the England - Poland match, without Lewandowski and few other important players we’re in a tough spot and even if I’m not convinced England will finish the qualifiers unbeaten again, it’s gonna be a long night for the Polish I think

Bertie Wooster

Dreading the England - Poland match, without Lewandowski and few other important players we’re in a tough spot and even if I’m not convinced England will finish the qualifiers unbeaten again, it’s gonna be a long night for the Polish I think
Yeah, England couldn't have been luckier with this group. Albania, Andorra and San Marino are poor teams even for pots 4, 5 and 6 standards. And there were much harder options for pots 2 and 3 than Poland and Hungary - and now we even get to face the 'toughest' opponent without their one world class player.

Bertie Wooster

... So now people are expecting the same level of success, but demanding it comes with a more entertaining style. That might happen of course.
It won't. Trust me.
I meant it might happen if you got a different manager. But then went on to add that the gamble is it might not, and the results aren't as good and you end up in a worse position.

That's the gamble clubs / nations take if they want to sack successful but pragmatic managers in search of a successful and entertaining manager.