Internationals September (Nations League + Friendlies)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Do you rate Griezmann still? Part of me feels that France should line up in a 4-3-3:

Mbappe - Martial - Dembele/Coman

Pogba - Kante - Aouar/Griezmann

Mendy/Digne - Upamecano - Varane - Pavard

I think that team above could win the Euros comfortably. Not the team we saw today.
Griezmann isn't a CM but yeah, that's the type of team that I would like to see in theory but when we actually used it, it was pretty bad. So I gave up trying to be a national manager.

sport2793

Find it hard to see France competing with England, Germany, Portugal, the Netherlands and Spain when you look at the rising stature of the others vs the established but regressive performances by the French. Is there any more promising youth coming up for them soon? Seems some players need a serious motivational kick in the ass.
This comment is way too off-target. For one, Germany still have major defensive issues for some inexplicable reason, apart from maybe the manager. France has the most complete team of any of the teams that you mention when at full strength. Frankly, Spain has dropped off for me and is a level below that list right now.

This is the order of European teams right now imo: France, Portugal, Belgium, England, Netherlands, Germany (will move up higher if they solve defensive issues) and then Spain.

Mic

This comment is way too off-target. For one, Germany still have major defensive issues for some inexplicable reason, apart from maybe the manager. France has the most complete team of any of the teams that you mention when at full strength. Frankly, Spain has dropped off for me and is a level below that list right now.

This is the order of European teams right now imo: France, Portugal, Belgium, England, Netherlands, Germany (will move up higher if they solve defensive issues) and then Spain.
Netherlands is third, easy, very easy.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I was replying to the Iceland pen. The England pen was clear. Sverrir jumps in front of Sterling and his elbow extends outwards and stops the shot. Clear penalty.
He jumped to block the shot and the hand was in the correct position

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Find it hard to see France competing with England, Germany, Portugal, the Netherlands and Spain when you look at the rising stature of the others vs the established but regressive performances by the French. Is there any more promising youth coming up for them soon? Seems some players need a serious motivational kick in the ass.
What year is it? :houllier:

I don't think France, among others, are taking the Nation's league very seriously. Is there any promising youth coming up from France? How much time you got?

Paul_Scholes18

Netherlands is third, easy, very easy.
Netherlands attack is nothing special though. I think they will struggle vs stronger sides. They got great central defenders mainly and a strong central midfield.

Chief123

My gosh. I had to double check that you actually meant France. They’ve got more talent than they can afford to fit in right now!

Coman and Dembele not even in the picture and are probably still two of the best wingers in the world on their day.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Calm down we just struggle against low blocks because Deschamps isn't exactly a great manager

We still have more promising youth than any of the nations you've named.
Portugal only plays at this level at home. Away from home and in tournaments our performances are crap. But imo this was our best performance in the last 5 years, even if Croatia had some players missing. Honestly I think this team plays more as a cohesive unit without Ronaldo. Of course we don’t have anyone who finishes the chances like him, but he doesn’t work much defensively and unbalances the team. It’s only my opinion, I know for some this is football heresy. Next game against Sweden we will not repeat this performance.

Paul_Scholes18

Portugal only plays at this level at home. Away from home and in tournaments our performances are crap. But imo this was our best performance in the last 5 years, even if Croatia had some players missing. Honestly I think this team plays more as a cohesive unit without Ronaldo. Of course we don’t have anyone who finishes the chances like him, but he doesn’t work much defensively and unbalances the team. It’s only my opinion, I know for some this is football heresy. Next game against Sweden we will not repeat this performance.
Remember our 0-0 games in qualifiers years ago against Portugal. Not so optimistic this time. We struggled to create much against France. Not expecting Portugal to be easier.
Bruno will cause us problems.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Griezmann

Hopefully Camavinga and Aouar become that type of creative players but no France do not have plenty of creative midfielders.
France needs more Alain Giresses and less horse racers in the midfield. But there’s only one Giresse.

JPRouve

Scout
What year is it? :houllier:

I don't think France, among others, are taking the Nation's league very seriously. Is there any promising youth coming up from France? How much time you got?
Regarding younger players there are several things that I don't like about Deschamps and one of them is how the bench is built. Don't you think that Pléa and Thuram instead of Ben Yedder and Fékir make more sense since the formers can play wide and centrally, to me it doesn't make a lot of sense to have Fékir when you also have Ikoné? By simply switching the players I mentioned we could easily play in 4231, 442 or 433 and the Gladbach players have been pretty good this season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Remember our 0-0 games in qualifiers years ago against Portugal. Not so optimistic this time. We struggled to create much against France. Not expecting Portugal to be easier.
Bruno will cause us problems.
Nah he will change a lot of players, historically we always struggle against Sweden and Denmark, particularly in Scandinavia. Our players struggle when they are pressed and physically bullied. Anyway if Lagerback was the current Swedish manager we would draw. We never beat him when he was with Sweden anda Iceland.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Though even with workhorses you can still play some very good footy if your attack is great. Just look at Liverpool which mostly consist of a midfield of workhorses but compensate that with great attacking and fullback talents. So even this midfield devoid of creativity shouldn't make France resort to the complete hoof ball they displayed tonight given their attacking resources.

Paul_Scholes18

Nah he will change a lot of players, historically we always struggle against Sweden and Denmark, particularly in Scandinavia. Our players struggle when they are pressed and physically bullied. Anyway if Lagerback was the current Swedish manager we would draw. We never beat him when he was with Sweden anda Iceland.
Our side is getting a bit past the peak I feel. Need some younger players into the side. Hope Kuslevski is ready soon.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Our side is getting a bit past the peak I feel. Need some younger players into the side. Hope Kuslevski is ready soon.
Yes that one looks good, let’s see how he does at Juventus. Isn’t there a promising CB from Malmo, I think his name is Anel Ahmedhodzic if I am not wrong? I know a guy who watches players from the Swedish and Danish League and he says to me he has a high potential to be Lindelof partner.

Last edited:

JPRouve

Scout
France needs more Alain Giresses and less horse racers in the midfield. But there’s only one Giresse.
Agreed which is why I have hope regarding Aouar, Camavinga and even Caqueret.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Haha guess i brought out the Frenchies on this forum with my comment. But I appreciate the responses. I wasnt impressed with France in the WC, and im still not impressed considering what they've got on the pitch, which is why i assume its down to coaching and the unwillingness to push some more of that promising youth to the front. It all feels very pedestrian and safe.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Agreed which is why I have hope regarding Aouar, Camavinga and even Caqueret.
I am suspect because my favourite French player ever is Giresse. I didn’t watched nothing from Kopa, I know Platini and Zidane are more highly regarded internationally, but Giresse made the implausible look easy. A guy with 1,63 height played against German beasts in the 80”s and received the ball playing like a false 9 like if it was the easiest thing in the world. That Bordeaux team under Jaquet is criminally underrated, they were in the mix between Saint Ettiene and the Bernard Tapie big Marseille team, honestly they were aesthetically the most representative french club football from the 80’s. This days a guy like him would play easily at Barcelona and their second best player. After Messi.

JPRouve

Scout
I’d need examples of these managers failing with this amount of talent.

I’d love to see Deschamps manage a club too as you have suggested he would be a great manager in that regard. He’d be horrific.
All the managers that Netherlands and Argentina have had since the 90s.

And what amount of talent are you talking about? France have not had that amount of talent for the majority of Deschamps tenure's, France had no quality wingers or fullback until recently and even then one of them was a CB that was moved to the right because the alternative was Jallet/Sidibé. France have always had a small amount of quality CM/DMs.
The quality in depth is only a recent thing with players that are currently between 18 and 23 years old and recently broke out.

Paul_Scholes18

Yes that one looks good, let’s see how he does at Juventus. Isn’t there a promising CB from Malmo, I think his name is Anel Ahmedhodzic if I am not wrong. I know a guy who watches players from the Swedish and Danish League and he says to me he has a high potential to be Lindelof partner.
Impressive if you could spell his name with little info ;) Yeah he is looking good for Malmö. Will get tested now more in europa league qualifiers too.
Central defenders have never been a problem for Sweden. It is getting top class wingers/attacking midfielders that we may lack compared to a country like Portugal.
Hopefully with better facilities we will get more young attacking talent.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Impressive if you could spell his name with little info ;) Yeah he is looking good for Malmö. Will get tested now more in europa league qualifiers too.
Central defenders have never been a problem for Sweden. It is getting top class wingers/attacking midfielders that we may lack compared to a country like Portugal.
Hopefully with better facilities we will get more young attacking talent.
I honestly scream at Sporting Forum why any of our scouts try to recruit players in Sweden/Denmark/Norway. Everyone comes with the crap they want to play in England or Germany. Ok, and all the rest who go into the Dutch League or Austria? They simply don’t go there because the agents can’t do the shit they do here or in South America. In the 80”s and 90”s Erickson brought Swedish and Danish players to Benfica and they were top players. Ok Bosman ruling changed football and all that shit we know.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Netherlands attack is nothing special though. I think they will struggle vs stronger sides. They got great central defenders mainly and a strong central midfield.
I really find it strange how highly Netherlands are rated. Germany are considered to be in perpetual crisis since 2018 but they still topped their Euro qualifying group above Netherlands, beating them at their home (though losing in the reverse fixture).

Netherlands really seem to struggle against defensive teams and thrive on playing in the counter

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I am suspect because my favourite French player ever is Giresse. I didn’t watched nothing from Kopa, I know Platini and Zidane are more highly regarded internationally, but Giresse made the implausible look easy. A guy with 1,63 height played against German beasts in the 80”s and received the ball playing like a false 9 like if it was the easiest thing in the world. That Bordeaux team under Jaquet is criminally underrated, they were in the mix between Saint Ettiene and the Bernard Tapie big Marseille team, honestly they were aesthetically the most representative french club football from the 80’s. This days a guy like him would play easily at Barcelona and their second best player. After Messi.
Giresse-Tigana-Platini

Wonderful

sport2793

Though even with workhorses you can still play some very good footy if your attack is great. Just look at Liverpool which mostly consist of a midfield of workhorses but compensate that with great attacking and fullback talents. So even this midfield devoid of creativity shouldn't make France resort to the complete hoof ball they displayed tonight given their attacking resources.
Ya but they don't have full backs like Liverpool either.

Asger

haha England is so shit. What an achievement winning on penalty that was never a pen against Iceland without their 5-6 best players!

Graveyard

I really find it strange how highly Netherlands are rated. Germany are considered to be in perpetual crisis since 2018 but they still topped their Euro qualifying group above Netherlands, beating them at their home (though losing in the reverse fixture).

Netherlands really seem to struggle against defensive teams and thrive on playing in the counter
Germany did well in qualification and so did Netherlands.
Playing in the counter is generally easier, most teams struggle against defensive teams.
Why do you find it strange how highly the Netherlands are rated? Have you concidered the facts that they have a good group of players and that they perform well against top level opposition in international football?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He jumped to block the shot and the hand was in the correct position

You say correct position but the laws are clear now what's not considered handball. I'm curious on your interpretation of what a correct position is. I can tell that this was not an example of it. I've seen it ~30 times and every single time believe it or not his arm is not down by his side. He makes himself bigger and blocks the shot. Penalty.

I wish we'd have more clever coaches. I was calling for him to be taken off before the corner. Sverrir had gone down a minute before and this time he blocked a cross and clutched his hamstring. Corner comes and he's slow to respond.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Hungary vs Russia seems like an interesting match up. Both sides were victorious in the opening Uefa Nations League game. The 3-1 victory which Russia achieved against Serbia creates the impression that Russia were the clear superior side. However, it was a game which the Russian defence were the busiest. What makes the encounter between Russia and Hungary a potentially interesting spectacle is the fact Russia are in scoring form, and Hungard dominated the tempo of the game against Turkey. The performances of these three individuals will be integral for the Hungarians looking to consolidate their standing in the table. Ádám Nagy, Szoboszlai, and Gulácsi. To my untrained eye, and limited understanding of the game, I would not be surprised if it was a tightly contested draw.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Think Jan Andersson is a great manager. Victor Lindelöf and Emil Forsberg are probably the only players available of good quality and Sweden are still able to cause France problems.
Can you please explain to me how he is a great manager? Genuine question.
We play shit football, flat 442. Marcus Berg and Seb Larsson still start ahead of the likes of Isak and Kulusevski. There doesn't seem to any integration of young players in the squad.

DarkLord

Next year is going to be surreal for international football. It will feel like time is stopped. Lots of chances for footballers to make a name for themselves and football fans to travel. European Cup, Copa America, Olympic and the World Cup the year after. Tons of football to watch and what's interesting is Copa and the Euros are played at the same time. I actually have my tickets bought for the Euros this year, won the ballot for the opening game in Rome where Italy takes on Turkey. I don't see a dominant international team now. France won the last World Cup and they still have the most complete team but they look beatable. The team that would win the next few major tournaments would be the team that has the best tactics and defence.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Can you please explain to me how he is a great manager? Genuine question.
We play shit football, flat 442. Marcus Berg and Seb Larsson still start ahead of the likes of Isak and Kulusevski. There doesn't seem to any integration of young players in the squad.
Always seems to be an issue with Sweden. I remember in euro 2008 and likes of Ljungberg, Larsson and Anders Svensson all starting when they were all way past their peak (Larsson was playing back in Swedish league at that point). Watched euro 2012 game between England-Sweden a few months back and you had Mellberg playing (and scoring) and he was 35 at that point and long past playing in any of the major leagues. Swedes certainly like playing their experienced teams.

He did well anyway getting you past Italy in the play off and then to QFs of the world cup, was a very tough group stage aswell.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Next year is going to be surreal for international football. It will feel like time is stopped. Lots of chances for footballers to make a name for themselves and football fans to travel. European Cup, Copa America, Olympic and the World Cup the year after. Tons of football to watch and what's interesting is Copa and the Euros are played at the same time. I actually have my tickets bought for the Euros this year, won the ballot for the opening game in Rome where Italy takes on Turkey. I don't see a dominant international team now. France won the last World Cup and they still have the most complete team but they look beatable. The team that would win the next few major tournaments would be the team that has the best tactics and defence.
Is the whole 12 cities thing really going ahead for euros? Still 9 months away so lots can change in that timeframe but mass movement of fans dosen't seem very realistic to me. Wouldn't shock me if last minute they just changed it to a third of games in London (which is happening anyway) then a third somewhere in Germany and third in Italy like they did with the two european competitions.

DarkLord

Is the whole 12 cities thing really going ahead for euros? Still 9 months away so lots can change in that timeframe but mass movement of fans dosen't seem very realistic to me. Wouldn't shock me if last minute they just changed it to a third of games in London (which is happening anyway) then a third somewhere in Germany and third in Italy like they did with the two european competitions.
UEFA has confirmed that all 12 cities will be the hosts cities but I don't see things improving in 9 months from now, so unless the individual countries decide to pull out, things will remain as it is, God knows. Olympic is also postponed to next year which starts in 23 July 2021 so surely they must allow mass movement of fans by then.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
You say correct position but the laws are clear now what's not considered handball. I'm curious on your interpretation of what a correct position is. I can tell that this was not an example of it. I've seen it ~30 times and every single time believe it or not his arm is not down by his side. He makes himself bigger and blocks the shot. Penalty.

I wish we'd have more clever coaches. I was calling for him to be taken off before the corner. Sverrir had gone down a minute before and this time he blocked a cross and clutched his hamstring. Corner comes and he's slow to respond.

His hand was on his chest in this case. These are the rules now btw. Only the 3rd and 4th points are valid here - Has he made his silhouette bigger? - arguable as his hand was wrapped to his chest but looking at the angle, one can argue on that grounds. Was his hand above the shoulder? Hell no.

Probably you need to watch it 31 times to see that it was a very harsh pen, and I'm pretty sure that all neutrals would agree with that