Introducing support for Tapatalk mobile app

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Thanks to some prompting from afrocentricity and Ivor Ballokov, I've added support for Tapatalk mobile app. This is a third party application for iPhone, iPad, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone and WebOS mobile phones.

The app will allow you to use RedCafe.net through a native interface on your phone which makes it easier to browse, read and post in the forum.

The app isn't free, costing a couple of quid, but once you have it installed, it will work for any other forum that supports Tapatalk, which according to their website, is quite a lot.

So if you're using the site a lot on your mobile device, it's worth checking out the app. If you do use it, please post any feedback and comments here, I'd be keen to hear how you find it.

Available Mobile Apps
------------------------------------------------------------
Access these links from your mobile device to install:

iPhone / iPad App

Android App

Blackberry App

Windows Phone App

WebOS App

Accessing RedCafe.net in Tapatalk
------------------------------------------
1) Go to search
2) Search for 'redcafe'
3) Choose the site from the search results and login with your normal account details

Phil

Giving this a go from Tapatalk now. Pretty useful once you've logged in and got every feature.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Have it up and running now, pretty handy, still have to get the hang of it now though. Cheers Niall anyway!

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
No iPhone4 optimization for my Android :(

3 bucks is nothing for something that will be used daily. Cheers!

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nice one Niall, been using quite a bit. No problems yet ;)

AlwaysRedwood

Fantastic.

Thanks for including WebOS, the dead, diseased little orphan no one wants.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
works great, makes it so much easier to access and browse the caf on a mobile device

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Seems lot of posters wouldn't mind paying for Tapatalk application to access the Caf.

I don't know if its feasible, but one could develop a Redcafe centric android application and generate income for the Caf?
A native app for the Caf would be nice, but that would involve creating an iOS one for iPhone/iPad, a separate one for Android and any other mobile platform we want to support. You then have to keep it up to date and support it which is quite an undertaking. Probably not worth the investment.

A mobile friendly skin is more likely but it's not something I've devoted much time to as the site may well be moving away from vBulletin in the medium term. I do intend to revisit this option though when the time is right.

Tapatalk is a good choice as it gives 90% of the functionality that's needed in a pretty nice interface, plus it can be used on many other forums so when you buy it, it's not just for the Caf.

Jonno

Just to say, have spent 5 mins on it, and it's amazing. So quick on a very poor orange 3G signal, and far more discreet on my phone rather than on the work PC.

Thanks for implementing this

Jonno

Also regarding revenue for red cafe, I know that tapatalk can release forums as their own standalone app, and they take a cut of the money, so if red cafe released their own standalone app through tapatalk, it would give redcafe an opportunity to bring some money in for it

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Posting on my iPad from it now while taking a dump on the toilet, it's working great, I love it

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
A native app for the Caf would be nice, but that would involve creating an iOS one for iPhone/iPad, a separate one for Android and any other mobile platform we want to support. You then have to keep it up to date and support it which is quite an undertaking. Probably not worth the investment.

A mobile friendly skin is more likely but it's not something I've devoted much time to as the site may well be moving away from vBulletin in the medium term. I do intend to revisit this option though when the time is right.

Tapatalk is a good choice as it gives 90% of the functionality that's needed in a pretty nice interface, plus it can be used on many other forums so when you buy it, it's not just for the Caf.
That's true. You know it well when it comes to implementation. Thought I will just put the idea in there.

Also regarding revenue for red cafe, I know that tapatalk can release forums as their own standalone app, and they take a cut of the money, so if red cafe released their own standalone app through tapatalk, it would give redcafe an opportunity to bring some money in for it
worth a look i guess.

Jonno

Have you seen some of the standalone apps that tapatalk have released? Basically just 1 forum and 1 app. Red Cafe could do that and stick a small charge on top. Then Red cafe would have it's own app in all the app stores that support Tapatalk

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Didn't know about that Jonno - will check it out. Thanks.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
IPAD : I was browsing Redcafe on Safari, then it prompted me that redcafe was available with taptalk. I haven't bought the app, but I will probably give it a try.

Some screenie if you can Niall? Will give us better picture on the program.

Also, does the Caf gets any benefit from us purchasing Tapatalk? If it does I will probably bought the program. As i'm using Ipad, I don't think it can help alot in terms of ease of use, as ipad's quite user friendly.

Might anyway give it a try though.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Oh... btw. For Ipad user. TouchBB lite is available for free, from what i read it's more or less the same, got push message capability, easier pane and layout for mobile.

I'll download it and give it a try.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Right.. so i wasted 2.99 on this tapatalk :

Can be quite handy on mobile phones, but for ipad, it's kinda gimmick, gives you cleaner reading thru threads, push notifications, easier photo uploading, proxy, profile, and some personalisation on how you want the reading pane displayed, users online, statistic of members, guests, total members, active post etc.

You can also add in your favorites thread for easier keeping up to date.

Can be quite daunting to get used to, and getting back to the desktop version of redcafe.

But if you have lots of forum to moderate / active it can probably be a life saver for you, as it will generalise every forum into one app.