Iran v US confrontation

Giggsyking

Why are the Iraqi soldiers so close? Is there an ISF base in proximity too? I'd keep my distance from all US bases if I were them...
Yes, even inside Ain al Asad there are iraqi soldiers. I wonder what will the Iraqi government response be in this case.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Which wars were that then?
Again. I'm not pro-Trump. My post is for balance.

He personally oversaw massacres, bombings and atrocities in the region both during and before the American invasion of Iraq in 2003.

https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/news/te...who-was-the-vicious-criminal-qassem-soleimani

Soleimani and his proxy groups in Iraq and Afghanistan were behind the flow of IEDs to Iraq and Afghanistan.
Soleimani’s most heinous crime occurred on September 1, 2013, which became known as the “Camp Ashraf Massacre,” when Quds force proxies, including Kata’ib Hezbollah and Asa’eb Ahl Al-Haq, attacked Camp Ashraf in Iraq’s Diyala province. At the time, only 101 MEK members were residing there as custodians of their properties under an agreement with the UN and the US. The attack led to the execution-style killing of 52 defenseless MEK members. Seven others, including six women, were taken, hostage. Soleimani personally oversaw the plans of the massacre.
Soleimani played a key role in the killing of the members of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) in camps Ashraf and Liberty in Iraq.
Before the 2003 U.S.-Iraq conflict, Soleimani orchestrated several attacks against MEK bases in Iraq.
From 11 January 1993 to April 2003, Iran’s terrorist Quds Force carried out over 150 terrorist attacks against the MEK in Iraq.

Kaos

He cannot declare war, but he might authorize strikes or even a full invasion.
I don't think he cares. He won't scuffer at any chance to play up for the cameras while giving some predictable Leslie Nielsen like speech filled with all the predictable bravado.

Nucks

RT History Department
I'm not pro-Trump, and I don't approve of this escalation - but in the interest of balance, general Soleimani was a bigger war criminal.
Genuinely curious. Can you list the attacks he was behind that actually count as terrorist attacks? Or war crimes?

Terrorism, in case you wondered, is classically defined as targeting civilians deliberately to push for policy changes. Since 9/11, the US and its closest allies have been trying to redefine "terrorism" as any action against their interests, military or civilian outside of a formal declared state of war.

Now, if we want to accept this looser definition of "terrorism", then, by no means is Soleimani comparable to ANY top level decision maker in the US over the course of his entire career. Now, again, I genuinely don't know if anything he has organized/orchestrated deliberately targeted civilians, but, assuming he hasn't deliberately, calling him a terrorist, and thereby a war-criminal, means you need to literally call everyone in the US who has organized or ordered a drone strike against a foreign citizen, military or otherwise, without being involved in an active state of war, also a war-criminal and a terrorist. Lastly, on point of balance, without any hesitation I can say that we've carried out far more attacks, and killed far more civilians via drone/air strikes than Soleimani has in his entire career.

Either we're antagonistic to each other, pushing the boundary of whats "legal" and "prudent", or, if we're going to call him a war-criminal and a terrorist, then we're guilty of the same thing, only to a greater extent. Unless of course there are actual classic examples of terrorism that he is behind, that can be proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.

In anycase, hopefully cooler heads prevail, this is all dick swinging idiocy.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
Only 7 days into 2020 and we are heading towards a world war.
That’s pushing, took US 3 weeks to beat Iraq but I never understood why US wants to invade a country, just bomb the shit that country, take down all the bases and any military building and leave them to assess the destruction, if they try to retaliate then repeat.

Kaos

Again. I'm not pro-Trump. My post is for balance.

He personally oversaw massacres, bombings and atrocities in the region both during and before the American invasion of Iraq in 2003.

https://www.ncr-iran.org/en/news/te...who-was-the-vicious-criminal-qassem-soleimani
You talk of balance yet you use an Iranian Resistance Group as your source. Soleimani was by all means an unpleasant individual, but to accuse him of bigger war crimes than the carnage the US have unleashed there in recent decades is nonsense.

The MEK were btw listed as a terrorist organisation during the time, including by the US.

Kaos

Haifa would be madness.

Dubai not so. In case of war, UAE will love to be part of it.
Not sure any gulf country would love to be directly involved. They're used to having the Americans fight for them, they'd be utterly flattened in a direct confrontation. Fighting Iran isn't the same as fighting Houthi teenagers, and even then the Saudis struggled disastrously.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
You talk of balance yet you use an Iranian Resistance Group as your source. Soleimani was by all means an unpleasant individual, but to accuse him of bigger war crimes than the carnage the US have unleashed there in recent decades is nonsense.

The MEK were btw listed as a terrorist organisation during the time, including by the US.
To be clear - I was talking about Trump/Pompeo specifically, and not the United States.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
That’s pushing, took US 3 weeks to beat Iraq but I never understood why US wants to invade a country, just bomb the shit that country, take down all the bases and any military building and leave them to assess the destruction, if they try to retaliate then repeat.
They invade so they have more influence in the region and benefit from resources.

binary bot
What's the chances that all the Helicopter activity earlier was actually American troops being moved?

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Those defense stocks are gonna be doing really well in the morning.
So the most important question that's not being discussed - who is making the most money / likely to make the most money with all this unfolding? We know those in power on either side don't give a feck about the loss of human life.

Kaos

To be clear - I was talking about Trump/Pompeo specifically, and not the United States.
The same Trump who surrounds himself with the same war-mongering hawks that have been salivating at the prospect of war with Iran.

Just remember who dealt the first strike here.

Revan

Assumptionman
Not sure any gulf country would love to be directly involved. They're used to having the Americans fight for them, they'd be utterly flattened in a direct confrontation. Fighting Iran isn't the same as fighting Houthi teenagers, and even then the Saudis struggled disastrously.
I think that any war with Iran will also involve UAE and S Arabia. To be fair, both are useless at it.

Israel is another thing though. They have by far the best Air Force in the region.

Giggsyking

My friend just told me they felt and heard the missiles landing on that base.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
The same Trump who surrounds himself with the same war-mongering hawks that have been salivating at the prospect of war with Iran.

Just remember who dealt the first strike here.
Like I said, I was baffled and disappointed with how randomly the Americans escalated this. I'm not sure that makes Trump a war criminal just yet, a war monger certainly.

Kaos

I think that any war with Iran will also involve UAE and S Arabia. To be fair, both are useless at it.

Israel is another thing though. They have by far the best Air Force in the region.
Well its inevitable the Gulf kingdoms get dragged into it considering they pretty much harbour all US military personnel outside of Iraq, so Iran definitely wouldn't hold back in extending any retribution towards them.

Israel is a whole other different beast for them, but the threat they face is from within. The last thing they'd want is direct war with a substantial regional military power, while possibly contending with another Palestinian intifada, as well as multi-fronted skirmishes with Hamas and Hezbollah. Its hardly a surprise they've been rushing to distance themselves from all this madness.

Utdstar01

What's the chances that all the Helicopter activity earlier was actually American troops being moved?
Seems that way. Probably anticipated some sort of attack. Doesn't change anything though. The intention was there and I can't see Trump lying down. There's no way this ends well unfortunately.

Kaos

Like I said, I was baffled and disappointed with how randomly the Americans escalated this. I'm not sure that makes Trump a war criminal just yet, a war monger certainly.
You made the objective claim of Soleimani being a war criminal, citing Iranian opposition sources and referencing his involvement in killing a designated terrorist group as your justifications.