Is De Gea Man Utd Legend?

Is David de Gea Quintana a Manchester United legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SirMarcusRashford

That just isn't true. Van Der Sar made more than his fair share of mistakes both at United and before that too. They just tend to get punished and remembered less when you play in an excellent team that's capable of winning regardless.
Van Der Sar rarely made any mistakes at United, I'm not too bothered what he did anywhere else.

We got him when he was at his most experienced, he was the perfect goalkeeper in my opinion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Van Der Sar rarely made any mistakes at United, I'm not too bothered what he did anywhere else.

We got him when he was at his most experienced, he was the perfect goalkeeper in my opinion.
He had his share of mistakes and bad performances at United too. He was at fault or should have done better for goals in each of our three CL finals, for a start.

I mean obviously he was generally excellent. But the idea that he never made mistakes just isn't true. Even more so when you take his career prior to United into account too.

SirMarcusRashford

He had his share of mistakes and bad performances at United too. He was at fault or should have done better for goals in each of our three CL finals, for a start.

I mean obviously he was generally excellent. But the idea that he never made mistakes just isn't true.
Ok then, rarely made mistakes, how's that then?

Cantona'sCollar

VDS was part of the reason we had one of the best defenses ever, he knew how to lead from the back and inspired confidence which was contagious. DDG doesn’t transmit confidence to his defense because he is too error prone.
Agreed on both points. Has nothing to do with how De Gea has played before this season & the last

Murray3007

Depends on your definition of a legend in my opinion.

He will go in to the pool of semi legend for me:

Legends - Class of 92, Ronaldo, Cantona, Rooney, Rio, Schmeichel, VDS, Vidic, Evra, Keane, Bruce etc (Not named them all)
Semi legends - De Gea, Valencia, Berba, Ibra, Van Persie, Ole? (Maybe in the full legend), Fletcher, Carrick etc (Not named them all)
surely you cant think these 2 are on the same level as De Gea, De Gea was our best player for about 5 years, yes it dont say much about the rest of the squad when your keeper is your star player but still they 2 had like 1 good season each while at United

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Not really. I’d say icon. Legend for me is different. He didn’t really win anything here. I associate legends with trophies.

I have him on the same level as Teddy Sheringham. Not quite a legend, but a valued icon.
He's certainly on a higher level than Teddy. I saw somebody else compare him to Ruud and I think that might be a good comparison.

Ruud and De Gea were both one of the best in the world, but their time with us coincided with a poor period for the team. On the one hand they were both incredibly unlucky about that, but on the other an argument could be made that, as good as they were, their limitations perhaps played some part in that. Ruud was an incredible goal-scorer, but the team as a whole seemed to be better once we bought Saha in and started playing a more fluid style. Likewise De Gea was an amazing shot-stopper, but his lack of control of the area perhaps did/does cause some confusion and uncertainty amongst the defenders.

Both of them are right on the edge of being legends for me. An argument could be made either way and I wouldn't necessarily disagree.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Depends on your definition of a legend in my opinion.

He will go in to the pool of semi legend for me:

Legends - Class of 92, Ronaldo, Cantona, Rooney, Rio, Schmeichel, VDS, Vidic, Evra, Keane, Bruce etc (Not named them all)
Semi legends - De Gea, Valencia, Berba, Ibra, Van Persie, Ole? (Maybe in the full legend), Fletcher, Carrick etc (Not named them all)
Absolutely spot on.

Ole goes into semi-legend pool though. He's deserved of legend status in everything except he was never arguably the best in the world. Maybe he was the best supersub in the world.

Siezard

Given that the top 3 keepers are Schmeichel, VDS and De Gea, which keeper is in the distant 4th position (Premier League ERA only)?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Given that the top 3 keepers are Schmeichel, VDS and De Gea, which keeper is in the distant 4th position (Premier League ERA only)?
well, I can tell you who it isn't: that clown Barthez!

paulscholes18

Comfortably Barthez, yes he made some clangers in his time, but you don’t win 2 PL titles if your keeper is a complete clown, he was similar to post World Cup DDG, Van der Gouw & Romero we’re very solid no2’s but were never first choice, and there was a reason why Howard and Carroll only pent 1 season each as first choice.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
I think DeGea is a legend but the wrong kind.
His failings in terms of his poor distribution, his refusal to command even his 6 yard area and his reluctance to actually catch a cross or dive at the feet of an advancing attacker, means that he’s stopped United from keeping pace with modern football.
He’s held you back for years now, I think Ole’s sussed this and that Henderson will be your No.1 henceforth, with DeGea moving on if you can find anyone willing to pay even 50% of his outrageous salary.

IMO, He’s not even worth keeping as a back-up because, once you’ve developed your outfield to play a high line, putting a line hugger like DeGea in behind it would be disastrous.
And I may be a City supporter but these are honest words. I truly wish DeGea would be playing today because you’re a better team without him and you’ll be able to further develop your play to become the reliable force that you ought to be without him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Actually hard to say. Both Barthez and Howard had one really good season each, before falling away badly in the following seasons and ultimately having to be replaced. Then there are the steady back-ups in Van der Gouw and Romero.

Barthez probably shades it as he still had some good performances in later seasons, even though they were mixed up with shockers.

RashyForPM

DDG would go into my tier 3 of legends. For context, my tier 1 includes Sir Bobby, Best, Giggs, Scholes, Keane etc, tier 2 Law, Beckham, Schmeichel, Neville etc and tier 4 Butt, P. Nev, Brown. Essentially, a cult hero.

Born2Lose

I thought Barthez was a good keeper for us overall, it's just he was liable to make mistakes.

Revan

Assumptionman
I do not see how he is not a United legend. Was our best player for something like 5 seasons in a row, has more appearances in EPL’s team of the year than any other goalkeeper (be it from United or other teams) and is arguably our best ever goalkeeper. If he has a coach like SAF for his career here, he would have won dozens of trophies. Saying that he is not a legend would be as absurd as saying Robson is not a United legend (cause of lack of trophies) or Neville is not a legend (cause of his form near the end of his career).

Since I watch United (beginning of this century), the only player who IMO rank higher than him are: Giggs, Scholes, G. Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo and Keane with Rio, Vidic, Evra, VDS and potentially RVN being around his level.

Revan

Assumptionman

He made many mistakes to be fair. Was dogshit on two finals against Barcelona, remember him costing us points against Liverpool and his peak was nowhere as high as De Gea’s (though his bottom level was much better than De Gea’s). De Gea staring from 2012-2013 up to 2017-2018 was better in every season than VDS’s best season here.

OmarUnited4ever

Just my opinion , in the premier league era, i consider the below to be club legends: (in no particular order)
  • Giggs
  • Keane
  • Scholes
  • Van der Sar
  • Ferdinand
  • Cantona
  • Rooney
  • Irwin
  • CR7
these guys not only were they the best on the best players in their position, but they had a transformative impact on the club, Cantona & CR7 didn't stay for long years but they had such huge effect on the club during their time,

the below are great players & Loyal servants to the club "10 Years or more": (in no particular order)
  • G. Neville
  • Beckham
  • Carrick
  • Fletcher
  • De Gea

other great players who were an integral part of a successful United team in the PL era:
  • Bruce
  • Pallister
  • Schmeichel
  • Butt
  • Cole
  • Yorke
  • Van Nistelroy
  • Vidic
  • Evra
  • RVP
for me, De Gea falls short of legendary status, but nevertheless, he remains a great player for the club and loyal servant and when he leaves, he'll still command respect for his time at United and be remembered fondly by the fans.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He made many mistakes to be fair. Was dogshit on two finals against Barcelona, remember him costing us points against Liverpool and his peak was nowhere as high as De Gea’s (though his bottom level was much better than De Gea’s). De Gea staring from 2012-2013 up to 2017-2018 was better in every season than VDS’s best season here.
Was at fault for Lampard's goal in the CL final we won too, slipping in front of him as he ran in on goal.

None of which is to put him down in any way, just to point out that the notion that he didn't make mistakes is exaggerated. Even more so if you take his career pre-United into account, where there were plenty of errors too, including another costly CL final mistake.

OmarUnited4ever

Was at fault for Lampard's goal in the CL final we won too, slipping in front of him as he ran in on goal.

None of which is to put him down in any way, just to point out that the notion that he didn't make mistakes is exaggerated. Even more so if you take his career pre-United into account, where there were plenty of errors too, including another costly CL final mistake.
Agreed, VDS also saved Anelka's PK which won it for us in 08'

had too many super performances for us and inspired confidence in the defense. But he also made errors for us too and that's expected from any GK no matter what.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
If he’s a legend then he’s the ultimate symbol of the club’s decline.

If you’re a stalwart during a period of failure then you don’t deserve to be in such a conversation.

UmbroDays

Biggest issue is Schemichel and van de Sar both won the Champions League and Premiership and were part of a dominant United team.

de Gea has a premiership title, but his time at United has been the worst for us in regards to trophies and dominance

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord

If you’re a stalwart during a period of failure then you don’t deserve to be in such a conversation.
He's not though, he was among the world's best, certainly top 3 during his peak. The same was true for VDS and Schmeichel. He's unlucky to have been our no 1 during the dark years. Easily our best player during the LVG era. How is our best player for a couple of seasons not in contention to be among the legends?

Hoboman

I do not see how he is not a United legend. Was our best player for something like 5 seasons in a row, has more appearances in EPL’s team of the year than any other goalkeeper (be it from United or other teams) and is arguably our best ever goalkeeper. If he has a coach like SAF for his career here, he would have won dozens of trophies. Saying that he is not a legend would be as absurd as saying Robson is not a United legend (cause of lack of trophies) or Neville is not a legend (cause of his form near the end of his career).

Since I watch United (beginning of this century), the only player who IMO rank higher than him are: Giggs, Scholes, G. Neville, Rooney, Ronaldo and Keane with Rio, Vidic, Evra, VDS and potentially RVN being around his level.
This. Absolute legend, during very turbulent and underwhelming years in club's history, and severely declined in the past three years, but legend nonetheless.
Top 3-5 keeper in the world and the team's best and only world class player for the best part of decade, making us somehow relevant while having mostly average CBs in front of him throughout those times.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's not though, he was among the world's best, certainly top 3 during his peak. The same was true for VDS and Schmeichel. He's unlucky to have been our no 1 during the dark years. Easily our best player during the LVG era. How is our best player for a couple of seasons not in contention to be among the legends?
Because we won feck all and he was a senior / leading player during that time.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Again, we could refer back to Bryan Robson. His career was that of a stalwart during a barren period too, contributing only as an aging squad player in his final two league-winning seasons (as opposed to De Gea who was the starting GK during his and made it into the PL team of the season).

Does Robson not deserve to be in the conversation either? After all, he was the captain during that barren period, so was he a symbol of the club's decline too?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Again, we could refer back to Bryan Robson. His career was that of a stalwart during a barren period too, contributing only as an aging squad player in his final two league-winning seasons (as opposed to De Gea who was the starting GK during his and made it into the PL team of the season). Does Robson not deserve to be in the conversation either?
I’m not old enough to judge. Did Robson ever produce anything as damagingly bad for the club as De Gea has in the last three years?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I’m not old enough to judge. Did Robson ever produce anything as damagingly bad for the club as De Gea has in the last three years?
If you're not able to judge whether Bryan Robson deserves to be regarded as a club legend then that suggests you don't know much about the club's history, not that you're too young. Presumably Buchan doesn't register on your radar either? Another symbol of failure by your standards.

And if a decline in form at the end of your United career is enough to deprive you of legend status despite what you've done before then we can discount many legends of the past too, starting with our all-time top goalscorer. It's a very reductive way of looking at someone's career.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm not sure you understand this "legend" talk is pure nostalgia. Let's remember world class Rooney and not the fat over the hill version.

Would Gerrard be less of a club legend than Keïta for Liverpool? Prizes aren't everything.

I also think the "damage" you're talking about is exaggerated. He's won 3 cups!

Feed Me

I'm hungry
If you're not able to judge whether Bryan Robson deserves to be regarded as a club legend then that suggests you don't know much about the club's history, not that you're too young. Presumably Buchan doesn't register on your radar either? Another symbol of failure by your standards.

And if a decline in form at the end of your United career is enough to deprive you of legend status despite what you've done before then we can discount many legends of the past too, starting with our all-time top goalscorer. It's a very reductive way of looking at someone's career.
That’s not what I was trying to say at all. I know what Robson means to United – and the fact that he’s regarded so highly speaks to the exceptional levels he reached as an individual during his spell with the club.

I was simply trying to point out that I am too young to have seen him play, so didn’t want to judge too deeply.

The fact of the matter is that De Gea has eroded the memory of his own brilliant peak by throwing the ball in his own net every other game for three years now.

Turning your own logic on its head, I would question what you know about the club’s traditions if you think he belongs anywhere near our pantheon of legends.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
I'm not sure you understand this "legend" talk is pure nostalgia. Let's remember world class Rooney and not the fat over the hill version.

Would Gerrard be less of a club legend than Keïta for Liverpool? Prizes aren't everything.

I also think the "damage" you're talking about is exaggerated. He's won 3 cups!
Well, one recent season his shit form was the principal reason we missed CL qualification.

In his sole PL win, perhaps you should take a look at how many matches Lindegaard played that season.

Didn’t Romero play most matches in the Europa triumph?

Comparing a past it Rooney with a truly dreadful De Gea is just insulting, not least because how actually pivotal to United the former was for years.

Why do people have such a hard on for bestowing legend status?

Member 101269

DDG doesn't have the personality or performance that is memorable enough to be a legend. Perhaps if we'd won more and performing better then he is now, he'd have potential to be a lower level legend.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
That’s not what I was trying to say at all. I know what Robson means to United – and the fact that he’s regarded so highly speaks to the exceptional levels he reached as an individual during his spell with the club.

I was simply trying to point out that I am too young to have seen him play, so didn’t want to judge too deeply.

The fact of the matter is that De Gea has eroded the memory of his own brilliant peak by throwing the ball in his own net every other game for three years now.

Turning your own logic on its head, I would question what you know about the club’s traditions if you think he belongs anywhere near our pantheon of legends.
What "pantheon of legends"? It isn't an official term, it's a meaningless phrase that includes whoever people want it to include.

If you only want to narrow it down to our absolute greatest ever players, that's fine. If you want to include everyone from Bobby Charlton down to Ji Sung Park, that's fine too. Nobody would claim you think they're all on the same level if you do, so it's not disrespecting anybody.

What is disrespectful though in saying the likes of Robson, Buchan and De Gea don't deserves to be in the conversation and are symbols of failure just because they happened to be here during a barren spell. Not because it discounts them from some vague and meaningless category of players but because it downplays what they actually contributed to the club in tough times.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
What "pantheon of legends"? It isn't an official term, it's a meaningless phrase that includes whoever people want it to include.

If you only want to narrow it down to our absolute greatest ever players, that's fine. If you want to include everyone from Bobby Charlton down to Ji Sung Park, that's fine too. Nobody would claim you think they're all on the same level if you do, so it's not disrespecting anybody.

What is disrespectful though in saying the likes of Robson, Buchan and De Gea don't deserves to be in the conversation and are symbols of failure just because they happened to be here during a barren spell. Not because it discounts them from some vague and meaningless category of players but because it downplays what they actually contributed to the club in tough times.
Some of your phraseology is making me chuckle. You talk about what De Gea has contributed. He’s the highest paid player in the PL which is astonishing and totally at odds with what he brings to the table. He’s a wage thief.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Some of your phraseology is making me chuckle. You talk about what De Gea has contributed. He’s the highest paid player in the PL which is astonishing and totally at odds with what he brings to the table. He’s a wage thief.
As was Wayne Rooney in his final years, doing absolutely nothing to justify his wages. Which is why we sold him and why we may sell De Gea. Ditto countless other players over the years.

That fact didn't erase their prior performances though or what they had contributed to the club up to that point, which is what this thread is about. If you want to criticise De Gea for what he's doing now then there are plenty of other threads to do so in.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
As was Wayne Rooney in his final years, doing absolutely nothing to justify his wages. Which is why we sold him and why we may sell De Gea. Ditto countless other players over the years.

That fact didn't erase their prior performances though or what they had contributed to the club up to that point, which is what this thread is about. If you want to criticise De Gea for what he's doing now then there are plenty of other threads to do so in.
Rooney was past it, but De Gea has actually been a sabotaging influence for three years.

De Gea’s peak years coincided with United achieving nothing of note.

I’m shocked this CV amounts to legend status, but each to their own.