Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

MDFC Manager

Where have you heard that?
Club website:

Following extensive conversations with the Premier League, Greater Manchester Police and Trafford Council, the decision has been made to postpone Manchester United's Premier League fixture against Leeds United, scheduled to take place at Old Trafford at 14:00 BST on Sunday 18 September.

This is due to Greater Manchester Police supporting forces across the United Kingdom at locations and events of high significance following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.

The club reiterates that the safety and security of our fans is paramount and, after considering all available options, we are supportive of the decision that was made in conjunction with the relevant authorities.

Chief123

I reckon this thread can beat the Frenkie De Jong thread. 1500 easily by Sunday.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
It’s a massive thing her death, what is it with these willfully ignorant throw away remarks :lol: you don’t have to like the bird to admit it’s a big deal.

Maybe you’re taking the piss though and I’ve totally wooshed myself.
Missed the point entirely. To cancel the football when other sports went ahead is one thing, to then cancel some games but not others the following weekend is ridiculous.

Judas

Open to offers
Missed the point entirely. To cancel the football when other sports went ahead is one thing, to then cancel some games but not others the following weekend is ridiculous.
Not all of them need to be cancelled though? Of course the weekend just gone being called off was utter stupidity of the highest level.

I’m annoyed as much as the next person, but the way some of you lot are handling this is bizarre.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Not all of them need to be cancelled though? Of course the weekend just gone being called off was utter stupidity of the highest level.

I’m annoyed as much as the next person, but the way some of you lot are handling this is bizarre.
People are annoyed for different reasons.
Not watching a United match for even a few weeks is not nearly the main problem.

That our season is going to be c*cked up is annoying and all because surprise! the Queen died at 96, where all eventualities should have been considered and that an announcement of what would happen within a day or two should have been made.
That is because the government are idiots.

The Dane

This might have been answered elsewhere or earlier in this thread, but what do they plan to do with the postponed Arsenal - PSV match if there are no available mid-week dates between now and the planned end of the group matches ?

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
This might have been answered elsewhere or earlier in this thread, but what do they plan to do with the postponed Arsenal - PSV match if there are no available mid-week dates between now and the planned end of the group matches ?
Excellent question in which I am hugely interesting in knowing the answer to myself.

Parma Dewol

In hindsight, shame we didn’t play our full strength side against Sociedad. Could have done with those three points and the added momentum before this extended break.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Expected reasoning being they’re sending officers down to assist in London. Quite remarkable considering less than a month ago London hosted a carnival for 2 million (and a shit tonne of those there purely for trouble) over the course of a bank holiday weekend and the police of Manchester weren’t required. @TheReligion hear of any of your lot coming down for that? I didn’t…
Think about 7000-9000 officers were at the carnival. Is the suggestion therefore that more numbers would be needed for the queens funeral ?
What a stretch.

'Premier League call of certain games this weekend'

"fecking carnival man"

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Cancelling a few games next weekend actually makes sense since they need extra policing for the events etc. The extremely stupid decision was cancelling the previous matchday for no good reason (just look at how rugby/cricket matches went in terms of having respectful moments re the queen passing).
In fairness, I can see how a cricket crowd at the Oval watching England play South Africa might cause less of a headache than pretty much any football match anywhere at any time :lol:

croadyman

Cancelling a few games next weekend actually makes sense since they need extra policing for the events etc. The extremely stupid decision was cancelling the previous matchday for no good reason (just look at how rugby/cricket matches went in terms of having respectful moments re the queen passing).
Yeah they dropped the ball there

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Take a PL game spot and hope PSV can/want to play at that date. Even if the results in the group were set in stone, i don't think they can do the draw as the first KO round has seeds and same association protection. There might be a way to do it but it could be a big headache.

Or just forfeit since i don't even think we'd have enough players registered on the B-list to field a coherent team.

Tyrion

They really cocked up by postponing last weeks matches.
Agreed. In hindsight, that should have gone ahead and then the weekend of the funeral could have been cleared. Now they've screwed themselves and will have a week and a half cancelled.

croadyman

If ETH gets a win at Man City after wins against Liverpool abs Arsenal, then he should be the King of this country!
Yeah would be reminiscent of our last title winning season,however keeping Haaland relatively quiet is enormous task

croadyman

Id guess, and I am guessing that Brentford v Arsenal will require a lot less policing. If arsenal were playing West Ham, Chelsea or Spurs it would be off too.

I half expect Liverpool will be off because of their recent booing of national anthems, which would be very poor taste right now.
Yeah no chance Arsenal is on if they are playing any of them along with scousers, City or us

oneloop31

Im starting to build a very negative opinion of the royal family. They are affecting my life in a very negative way.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
United v Leeds will be a Cat C fixture and one of the most high risk of the season. It requires the heaviest police resourcing.

GMP will have had to staff that, along with any other football fixtures in GM (haven’t checked what else is on that day), then other scheduled events/protests etc.

If officers are already assisting Police Scotland and the Met then I’m hardly surprised something has to give.

Policing numbers are at an all time low in the UK and have been dwindling down for years without anyone batting an eyelid. Now you see why it’s an issue.
Our game is in a different city! That's really poor administrative planning if events in different cities can't be handled due to personnel issue. Besides isn't our game on the next day or something?

OpenIntrovert

Our game is in a different city! That's really poor administrative planning if events in different cities can't be handled due to personnel issue. Besides isn't our game on the next day or something?
The police don't belong to a city, they belong to the country. They are calling upon most of the police force to help, leaving only a few officers to take care of their respective zones in case of other emergencies.

little.triangles

The PL has fecked us.

EtH should only play the kids (and AWB-Maguire-Lindelof-Shaw) in the league cup and FA cup. To hell with those competitions this year. And does anyone care about the Europa league? Wouldn't mind going out of that early.

Focus on the league. With adequate rest, I am confident our starting 11 can get us into the top 4.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The police don't belong to a city, they belong to the country. They are calling upon most of the police force to help, leaving only a few officers to take care of their respective zones in case of other emergencies.
Nothing should require "most of the police force" to help unless there's a world war/ apocalypse. If it does, then your police force is severely understaffed.