Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
It’s of course disappointing if the games are cancelled - and I actually hope they go ahead.

However, as someone mentioned earlier, the death of the Queen is a far more significant event than a generic set of league games. The UK is also struggling with its place in the world at the moment too. The Queen was one constant, one that has been there since most of us have existed.

The irony is also not lost on me, the posters who are being negative about the Queen, are the same people who worship multi-millionaire young footballers, playing what is effectively ‘just’ a sport. Though I appreciate many of us don’t see it that way, myself included.

And that’s really the point. You are allowed to have an emotional attachment to something or someone that defies a degree of logic. Football is the perfect example of this.

I feel sorry for the people making typical edgy comments about the Queen just for attention, predictable but sad all the same. She spent her entire life carrying out engagements for the betterment of our country as a whole. Privileged, yes - but it’s also a burden, being in the spotlight the entire time.

crossy1686

career ending
It’s of course disappointing if the games are cancelled - and I actually hope they go ahead.

However, as someone mentioned earlier, the death of the Queen is a far more significant event than a generic set of league games. The UK is also struggling with its place in the world at the moment too. The Queen was one constant, one that has been there since most of us have existed.

The irony is also not lost on me, the posters who are being negative about the Queen, are the same people who worship multi-millionaire young footballers, playing what is effectively ‘just’ a sport. Though I appreciate many of us don’t see it that way, myself included.

And that’s really the point. You are allowed to have an emotional attachment to something or someone that defies a degree of logic. Football is the perfect example of this.

I feel sorry for the people making typical edgy comments about the Queen just for attention, predictable but sad all the same. She spent her entire life carrying out engagements for the betterment of our country as a whole. Privileged, yes - but it’s also a burden, being in the spotlight the entire time.
I think you're massively overestimating the impact the Queen has had on most of the general public's lives, as are the people who've decided 10 days of mourning is appropriate. It's like they're clinging to the last threads of relevancy. The reality is we'd all have forgotten about it by Monday if it wasn't quite literally everywhere you turn.

The UK can blame itself for where it finds itself. If you hate people and you vote for people that hate people also, this is what you get. A fractured society that looks to blame someone else for most of their problems. And if you think the Queen was the one thing keeping us all from losing our sanity, I'd ask serious questions about how in touch you are.

The reality is we've always turned to sports, cultural events, drinking etc for escapism, the Queen dying is just another celebrity, but this time there's a bunch of ceremony attached because people are desperate to stay relevant.

Last edited:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think you're massively overestimating the impact the Queen has had on most of the general public's lives, as are the people who've decided 10 days of mourning is appropriate. It's like their clinging to the last threads of relevancy. The reality is we'd all have forgotten about it by Monday if it wasn't quite literally everywhere you turn.

The UK can blame itself for where it finds itself. If you hate people and you vote for people that hate people also, this is what you get. A fractured society that looks to blame someone else for most of their problems. And if you think the Queen was the one thing keeping us all from losing our sanity, I'd ask serious questions about how in touch you are.

The reality is we've always turned to sports, cultural events, drinking etc for escapism, the Queen dying is just another celebrity, but this time there's a bunch of ceremony attached because people are desperate to stay relevant.
You’re talking to someone who yesterday declared the Queen one of the greatest people who ever lived, and anyone who didn’t see her that way an “anti-monarchy loon”.

Robbie Boy

About to go onto what will be be, an extremely arduous videoconference that will take the guts of 4 hours, and reading this thread was an amazing tonic. Thank you all :lol:

UnsungHero

I think you're massively overestimating the impact the Queen has had on most of the general public's lives, as are the people who've decided 10 days of mourning is appropriate. It's like their clinging to the last threads of relevancy. The reality is we'd all have forgotten about it by Monday if it wasn't quite literally everywhere you turn.

I don’t think I am overstating it at all. Most people I know are profoundly shocked by the news and feel very sad. Much more so than I expected. I would include myself in that and I’m no royalist, I’m sort of on the fence but do like the tradition. That’s often all we have.

I suppose there’s a degree of subjectivity, but factually your assertion that it’s not a big deal is really not correct. It is.

crossy1686

career ending
You’re talking to someone who yesterday declared the Queen one of the great people who ever lived, and anyone who didn’t see her that way an “anti-monarchy loon”.
Jesus fecking Chirst. Guess I'm a loon then.

Just to compound my point, here is Google's search interest based on searches made in the UK in the past 24 hours.

The search for 'bank holiday' at an all time high, but yeah, sure, people are sad about the Queen or whatever.

mk7

As a non-UK resident I actually fail to see how this all justifies making the Sky subscription I pay for with hard earned money to watch PL is practically worthless for 2 weeks because of this. PL is no longer a "British thing" - it is a global commodity so I fail to see the need to suspend it for the death of a figurehead.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Jesus fecking Chirst. Guess I'm a loon then.

Just to compound my point, here is Google's search interest based on searches made in the UK in the past 24 hours.

The search for 'bank holiday' at an all time high, but yeah, sure, people are sad about the Queen or whatever.
It’s true, the majority of people, going by google, just care about the potential bank holiday. Media and “loons” will have you believe the whole country wants to cry for the next two weeks, though.

Chief123

That’s utter bollocks. Just because one is negative about the implications of the Queens death on everyone else’s daily lives, doesn’t automatically mean they worship multi millionaire footballers. Absolute Melt of an opinion.

I actually had no feeling good or bad towards the Queen or the monarchy before. I quite frankly have never given a shit about them and personally don’t see why we still have one. But now I’m certainly developing bad feelings simply because of the nonsense implications it’s having on everyone else’s daily lives.

crossy1686

career ending
I don’t think I am overstating it at all. Most people I know are profoundly shocked by the news and feel very sad. Much more so than I expected. I would include myself in that and I’m no royalist, I’m sort of on the fence but do like the tradition. That’s often all we have.

I suppose there’s a degree of subjectivity, but factually your assertion that it’s not a big deal is really not correct. It is.
I would suggest that if your circle or bubble are echoing your sentiments then you don't have a diverse group of people around you, do they all vote the same also? I know some people who are sad about it but most of the people I have interacted with don't care, and I would suggest that the consensus don't care either.

Classical Mechanic

The boxing this weekend will take place behind closed doors. This would be the logical thing to do with the football too if there are to be police allocation issues.

Judas

Open to offers
Maybe it’s an age thing, I don’t know anyone around my age or younger even remotely fussed.
I’m assuming those in this thread sad are over 40 at the youngest.

Irrational.

Imagine cancelling a Europa League game in Moldova because the head of state of the UK died a week before.
:lol:

Sometimes I wonder whether we are much different from North Korea with our deification of the royal family. She is was an over privileged woman born with every need tended to for her whole life. She has never worked hard or toiled, and has nothing in common with the average person. She died not even knowing you existed. Yet Karen from Tesco is bawling her eyes out and taken a day off work because the queen is dead. Our obsession with the monarchy is pathetic.

Sir Erik ten Hag

If England win this coming World Cup "for the queen", I can think we can safely cancel football at that point because that would be the only way we'd ever hear the end of it.
Hollywood should hire you for such a fantasy script.

UnsungHero

That’s utter bollocks. Just because one is negative about the implications of the Queens death on everyone else’s daily lives, doesn’t automatically mean they worship multi millionaire footballers. Absolute Melt of an opinion.
Sorry if that touched a nerve.

I would suggest that if your circle or bubble are echoing your sentiments then you don't have a diverse group of people around you, do they all vote the same also? I know some people who are sad about it but most of the people I have interacted with don't care, and I would suggest that the consensus don't care either.
No, it’s a mixture and some of them don’t care. But the ones who don’t care are the sort of people I’d expect nothing less from…sadly. I only pay attention to the opinion of people I actually respect.

BigDycheEnergy

Don't be disrespectful now. This video from outside Buckingham Palace shows just how much she meant to the people!

Chief123

:lol:

Sometimes I wonder whether we are much different from North Korea with our deification of the royal family. She is was an over privileged woman born with every need tended to for her whole life. She has never worked hard or toiled, and has nothing in common with the average person. She died not even knowing you existed. Yet Karen from Tesco is bawling her eyes out and taken a day off work because the queen is dead. Our obsession with the monarchy is pathetic.
If I didn’t have to worry about putting food on the table for my family, paying for bills in a cost of living crisis and wondering whether we’ll have enough to meet the rising costs, then I wouldn’t mind having a crack at being the head of state and taking on the “burden” that comes with it. I’d do a darn good job of it as well while my kids play with the well groomed corgis.

crossy1686

career ending
Maybe it’s an age thing, I don’t know anyone around my age or younger even remotely fussed.
I’m assuming those in this thread sad are over 40 at the youngest.
I think there's a generation in the middle there somewhere who are 'immensely proud to be British', drape themselves in the flag, talk about how beautiful the country is all the time, visit London a couple of times a year to see the Palace and the Houses of Parliament, talk about the 'the sun never setting on the British Empire' like it's something to be proud of and stand up when God Save the Queen comes on. My guess it's that bunch who are the saddest, but then again the only thing they got to look forward to as kids was the Queen coming to visit and speeding past at 30mph while they stood in the rain hoping for a wave.

Irrational.

If I didn’t have to worry about putting food on the table for my family, paying for bills in a cost of living crisis and wondering whether we’ll have enough to meet the rising costs, then I wouldn’t mind having a crack at being the head of state and taking on the “burden” that comes with it. I’d do a darn good job of it as well while my kids play with the well groomed corgis.
Precisely.

The Queen could’ve been replaced by Churchill the dog for the past 70 years and it wouldn’t have made one single difference to the world, or to any of our lives.

Classical Mechanic

Have all the police officers checked in to a depression rehab clinic since the death?
A massive state funeral lasting 10 days will take up a lot of police resources, especially in London where large crowds are gathering. As I mentioned earlier the boxing this weekend will take place behind closed doors. I don't see why the Premier League can't do the same.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I assume it has something to do with policing of games.
I'm not sure that'll be the reason - I mean, what will they actually be policing? I get if it was her funeral of course- but I'm not sure what there is to police beforehand that will require a significant number of police officers.

crossy1686

career ending
A massive state funeral lasting 10 days will take up a lot of police resources, especially in London where large crowds are gathering. As I mentioned earlier the boxing this weekend will take place behind closed doors. I don't see why the Premier League can't do the same.
And the taxpayer will foot the bill, cheers lads...

ROFLUTION

Please don’t tell people who they are without knowing them. Seems you just want to pick out an enemy and paint an enemy picture of who’s in opposition to you.

One doesnt have to worship multimillionaire footballers, just because they don’t see the big deal in the monarchy / the queen. Personally I cant relate or see the big deal in any of those concepts.

mk7

Precisely.

The Queen could’ve been replaced by Churchill the dog for the past 70 years and it wouldn’t have made one single difference to the world, or to any of our lives.
All this reminds me of the people in Austria who put stickers with the old Habsburg crest saying "Old Austria" longing for the good old days where you did not have to vote for the lunatic to be the head of piece of land encircled by artificial borders.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm not sure that'll be the reason - I mean, what will they actually be policing? I get if it was her funeral of course- but I'm not sure what there is to police beforehand that will require a significant number of police officers.
It's for PR, they don't actually need mass policing of the Queen's funeral.

Chief123

The funeral isn’t going to last 10 days. There’s royal events that happen many times without the sporting schedule getting disrupted.