Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

Red_Aaron

Why does it have to be a mourn fest

She was 96, by all accounts had a good life and is widely admired and loved so why can't it be a celebration? Have applause before every game, stick her picture up on the big screen, lay some flowers, sing the anthem, black armbands / special badge / remove the sponsor whatever you want but allow people to congregate, remember her and then enjoy themselves

It's mental that we can all go to work for 10hrs a day and be expected to get our heads down and grind for the economy but we can't wind down and watch a football match for 2 hrs at the weekend

JB7

Surely the best way to "honour her extraordinary life" would be for sport to continue, given she was a big fan of various sports throughout her life?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Confirmed this weekend is off - looking likely the funeral will be on the Monday so hopefully next weekend's fixtures will go ahead.

Meep

Let's celebrate the people still living and let there be games this weekend. This kneejerk actions for famous people you don't know needs to stop.

TsuWave

Black armbands - 1 minute of silence - there’s your mark of respect.

feck right off

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interested to see where they squeeze the two games from this and next weekend in.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Personally think it's crazy to cancel this weekends games. That's the era we're in though where everything is super emotional. It didn't happen in 1952 I think and no reason it should do now.

Certainly shouldn't play on the funeral day, but that's it.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Surely the best way to "honour her extraordinary life" would be for sport to continue, given she was a big fan of various sports throughout her life?
Someone said she didn't even request any public holidays for her death. It genuinely seems as if she would have preferred for everything to carry on, and that explains why Buckingham Palace left to the associations to decide.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I really don't see how not playing football is a sign of respect. It's obviously more about the Royal Family upholding their image and illusion of importance, but how come nobody asks "in what way is this a show of respect?" in public?

mav_9me

She was 96, by all accounts had a good life and is widely admired and loved so why can't it be a celebration? Have applause before every game, stick her picture up on the big screen, lay some flowers, sing the anthem, black armbands / special badge / remove the sponsor whatever you want but allow people to congregate, remember her and then enjoy themselves

It's mental that we can all go to work for 10hrs a day and be expected to get our heads down and grind for the economy but we can't wind down and watch a football match for 2 hrs at the weekend
Could not agree more.

This is the era of meaningless gestures.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. 70 years of service to our country, and you are moaning about one game of football being postponed.

Manchester United are a football club based in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has just lost it's constant, spanning generations.

You only have to see the news to see how important she was around the world to millions.

The people of this world, in general, get worse. It's sad to see...
:lol:

Barthez

Without doubt the correct decision. In a period of mourning it wasn’t appropriate.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Last paragraph is very true.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. 70 years of service to our country, and you are moaning about one game of football being postponed.

Manchester United are a football club based in the United Kingdom. The United Kingdom has just lost it's constant, spanning generations.

You only have to see the news to see how important she was around the world to millions.

The people of this world, in general, get worse. It's sad to see...
One game? :houllier:

El Zoido

Is it really that big of a deal to go without football for a week? Seems like the correct decison to postpone, it’s a hugely significant event. I can go without football for a weekend and don’t really see the big deal.

Flexdegea

It happens every season when games are rescheduled for whatever reason.

What about the Manchester United fans who protested and had a game postponed last second last year?

Yes games get rescheduled for legit reasons, not whole weekend of sport, professional and amateur, for a 96 year old dying.

You didn't reply to any point I made.

Nice whataboutism at the end. Give your head a wobble

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Is it really that big of a deal to go without football for a week? Seems like the correct decison to postpone, it’s a hugely significant event. I can go without football for a weekend and don’t really see the big deal.
I couldn't give a shit about the event.

RonaldoVII

Any time a team makes a quarter or semi final of a cup, a game is rescheduled.

Even from a business point of view the monarchy injects a shit ton into the economy, the same economy that everyone benefits from.

Im happy for people to oppose the monarchy, but doing it in the name of other people losing money is a fallacy
Not the day before, it's as simple as that.

RedDevilRoshi

Could literally write war in peace. Mind boggling to say the least to keep it short and sweet.

SirAF

Ageist
It happens every season when games are rescheduled for whatever reason.

What about the Manchester United fans who protested and had a game postponed last second last year?
Not on 1-2 days notice, they are not.

Who’s going to refund plane tickets, hotel bookings etc?

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Her death was a significant event. It's happened now. Life goes on.
Reverse question: Is it really that big of a deal to still have football on the weekend even though a 96 year old died 2 days prior?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I couldn't give a shit about the event.
I don't disagree with your opinion about the monarchy/cancelling these games but this decision will be made with most of the UK in mind and not just you or I.

Conor

You are sacrificing for her, as she sacrificed for you. God speed.