Is football cancelled for the next week? | Man United-Leeds & Chelsea-Liverpool postponed

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Don't think I'd have posted it if I didn't mean it, which bit was you comprehensive response addressing?
I'm just surprised you really believe or would want police to go from travelling straight into a massive policing operation after dealing with another a day previously. That's absolutely infeasible.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
What I find odd is those police can still travel down to London on the Monday and police this game on the weekend can't they surely? Do they need to all be there a few days early? Anyway it's happened but I would rather play it behind closed doors or with only home fans (And repeat for the other leg) to keep the fixtures moving otherwise we are screwed come 2023 especially if we don't top Europa league then there is another 4 games
My brother has been called down and left this morning from Wales. Still had no idea where he was staying, or even the area that he'd be operating, so very up in the air and I think they're having to sort of make it up as they go along.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
My brother has been called down and left this morning from Wales. Still had no idea where he was staying, or even the area that he'd be operating, so very up in the air and I think they're having to sort of make it up as they go along.
That makes sense, I assumed the logistics would have already been organised and sorted, so whether they travelled after the game or a day before didn't strike me as much different but fair enough,

No reason we can't do it with home fans (and return leg) or behind closed doors though is there?

matt10000

Only games that deserve to be cancelled are games held in London on the day of funeral.

Other games go ahead
How did you work that one out?

State funeral with heads of state all over the world will require major security and forces from all over the UK are contributing officers!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can someone explain to me just what a funeral in London has to do with policing in Manchester. I can just about understand the Chelsea game being called off (although are you really telling me there aren't enough Met Police to cover a game on a Sunday and a funeral the next day? So much for Johnson's extra police bollox), but for feck's sake out game is 200 bastarding miles away.

Are they drafting in the whole of the Manchester Police force - if so, better not tell the criminals...

Utterly pathetic...

mundo7

I'm just surprised you really believe or would want police to go from travelling straight into a massive policing operation after dealing with another a day previously. That's absolutely infeasible.
Really? Doing one very important thing straight after something else? How do you think they run operations that span multiple days - this is exactly what they do.

it’s not infeasible in the slightest

saint Jose

From the outside it looks odd, that the british people are mourning the death of a 96 year old lady that much.
I'm fecking not.

Me too, what a fecking joke country we are. after virus lockdowns, partygate, curranty in the worst post war cost of living crisis, inflation out of control BUT the unwashed commoners still need to suffer because a unelected 96 year old billionaire head of an outdated institution who lived a life of immense luxury dies.
I have no issue with the queen as a person and a loyal servant etc but despise how the state gaslights us 'plebs' into hero worshiping and kissing the feet of the unelected elite.

With the international break and world cup is this season going to get finished(!)

Meino

Can someone explain to me just what a funeral in London has to do with policing in Manchester. I can just about understand the Chelsea game being called off (although are you really telling me there aren't enough Met Police to cover a game on a Sunday and a funeral the next day? So much for Johnson's extra police bollox), but for feck's sake out game is 200 bastarding miles away.

Are they drafting in the whole of the Manchester Police force - if so, better not tell the criminals...

Utterly pathetic...
No worries, crimes were cancelled due to the passing of the Queen. They are in mourning, sitting in the dark, staring at the ground for another week or so.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
You don't think there were plans in place for the queen dying? There's been articles for years about what happens when the queen dies, Operation London Bridge and Operation Unicorn because she passed in Scotland.

However, there's still lots of moving parts. Where she actually dies being a big part of it. What current police levels are at a particular time, what events are on and around that time, what the general mood of the nation is with regards the mourning period, what day she actually dies as well. For instance, if she died in the Monday rather than the Thursday, perhaps last weekend games would have been on.

I'm surprised people are surprised at how big the British monarchy still is. Look at the numbers and events around the Queen's Jubilee only a few months back. We hear all the time about how their popularity is fading etc, yet when a major event like this happens, the numbers tell differently.
Yes there were supposed to be these Operations in place. But these operations should have been updated on a regular basis so if she died on such and such date , this month , next month, on Xmas day, next year, whenever, everything should have been in place. One small department running it would have been enough and as soon as it happened everything gets put into place immediately.

If she died on a Tuesday when such and such events are on - this happens. It's how companies or countries organise themselves. it took them several days to decide which day the funeral was on. If she died on a Thursday, this happens, should have been automatic.

The government don't seem capable of running a corner shop, nevermind a country.

The Queen is popular even outside the UK , she is the figurehead that represents the UK. Now she's gone, the popularity in the monarchy will diminish considerably.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Really? Doing one very important thing straight after something else? How do you think they run operations that span multiple days - this is exactly what they do.

it’s not infeasible in the slightest
Yes. The funeral is going to be an event where the threat level of something like terrorism is going to be at unprecedented high level. You'd want your police force to be in the best conditon and as prepared as they can be for it. You don't want them travelling to the event on the same fecking day after just policing another major event. :rolleyes:

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

State funeral with heads of state all over the world will require major security and forces from all over the UK are contributing officers!
Nah mate, Notting hill carnival with all those troublemakers is a bigger threat.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yes there were supposed to be these Operations in place. But these operations should have been updated on a regular basis so if she died on such and such date , this month , next month, on Xmas day, next year, whenever, everything should have been in place. One small department running it would have been enough and as soon as it happened everything gets put into place immediately.

If she died on a Tuesday when such and such events are on - this happens. It's how companies or countries organise themselves. it took them several days to decide which day the funeral was on. If she died on a Thursday, this happens, should have been automatic.

The government don't seem capable of running a corner shop, nevermind a country.

The Queen is popular even outside the UK , she is the figurehead that represents the UK. Now she's gone, the popularity in the monarchy will diminish considerably.
Your upset because you think it's been planned poorly and your losing 2 games of football.

If plans were in place, if they were rock solid, and they included 12 days of mourning until the funeral for instance where no sporting events would take place, would you be happier then?

I'm trying to work out if your most upset at the lack of planning or the 2 games of football you are missing.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
The concept of police forces from across the country being used to police a big event is not a new one.

Half the police kettling the Liverpool fans outside OT the other week were Welsh. Pretty easy to tell with their funny little language on their uniforms.

Paul the Wolf

Your upset because you think it's been planned poorly and your losing 2 games of football.

If plans were in place, if they were rock solid, and they included 12 days of mourning until the funeral for instance where no sporting events would take place, would you be happier then?

I'm trying to work out if your most upset at the lack of planning or the 2 games of football you are missing.
I am annoyed with the stupidity. Needless disruption to all club's football seasons. Because a load of numpties couldn't organise a p!ss up in a brewery.

Watching football was not a problem as I watched four matches last weekend, the midweeks matches I can watch and all but two of the forthcoming weekend's matches.
United's match was not on TV so I couldn't have seen it anyway. Now maybe I will when it's rearranged some time next May or July or whenever.

Chief123

I wonder how many organised criminals have plans for the Monday outside of London, in particular Manchester. :annoyed:

Paul the Wolf

Yes. The funeral is going to be an event where the threat level of something like terrorism is going to be at unprecedented high level. You'd want your police force to be in the best conditon and as prepared as they can be for it. You don't want them travelling to the event on the same fecking day after just policing another major event. :rolleyes:
Of course it would never occur to them that with nine or ten days advance warning they could have moved the matches around despite being able to move the Rangers match with two days notice.

What happens if there is a real emergency or catastrophe, does everyone run around in circles shouting "What do we do! What do we do?"

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Of course it would never occur to them that with nine or ten days advance warning they could have moved the matches around despite being able to move the Rangers match with two days notice.

What happens if there is a real emergency or catastrophe, does everyone run around in circles shouting "What do we do! What do we do?"
You obviously have the extra police to cover for these things.

Paul the Wolf

You obviously have the extra police to cover for these things.

But for an event that everybody knew would happen, with a high probability that it would happen quite soon and would be a major event there seems to be no forethought or advanced planning. People can see that police forces need to be available but they should have known that for many years. It makes no sense. If they need the police to be free on the Sunday then they should have moved the Sunday games immediately last week.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
But for an event that everybody knew would happen, with a high probability that it would happen quite soon and would be a major event there seems to be no forethought or advanced planning. People can see that police forces need to be available but they should have known that for many years. It makes no sense. If they need the police to be free on the Sunday then they should have moved the Sunday games immediately last week.
It's not for the police to cancel games per se though is it? Chances are they would have cancelled immediately had it not been for a winter world cup year which you're not taking into account.

Paul the Wolf

It's not for the police to cancel games per se though is it? Chances are they would have cancelled immediately had it not been for a winter world cup year which you're not taking into account.
I didn't say it was the police's responsibility, it's the government together the FA/EPL that should have moved the games back a day when they knew the Queen had died. Being a congested fixture list already is the whole point of people's bewilderment at how badly thought out this has been.

Ludens the Red

You seem to be quite a literal person, which lends itself to poor comprehension skills. It's not your fault. The fact is, games have been called off due to policing and security around current events, and that's never happened with carnival. That in itself should be a clue that maybe you've got this a little wrong.
You keep moving those goalposts and you keep patronising. Talking shite is your style so continue…

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
You keep moving those goalposts and you keep patronising. Talking shite is your style so continue…
What goalposts have been moved? No goalposts have been moved you're just wrong :lol:

Where are you actually from our of interest?

AndySmith1990

It is what it is. The reigning monarch of 70 years has died, it's exceptional circumstances and it just so happens to fall in an awkward year where the world Cup is being played mid-season. The two events arent likely to happen again in the same year. Life goes on and the extra matches will be squeezed in somewhere. It's not worth getting angry about

Judas

Open to offers
It is what it is. The reigning monarch of 70 years has died, it's exceptional circumstances and it just so happens to fall in an awkward year where the world Cup is being played mid-season. The two events arent likely to happen again in the same year. Life goes on and the extra matches will be squeezed in somewhere. It's not worth getting angry about
Basically. If you're getting this worked up about it, or anything football related, probably best to take a step back and analyse things, because its not healthy. and this is coming from a loser who has posted over 30,000 times on here!

Chief123

I didn't say it was the police's responsibility, it's the government together the FA/EPL that should have moved the games back a day when they knew the Queen had died. Being a congested fixture list already is the whole point of people's bewilderment at how badly thought out this has been.
They can’t move the fixtures back a day because Utd play on Thursday and would then have to play again on Saturday. The chelsea and Brentford games would end up clashing with the spurs game also in london.

Paul the Wolf

They can’t move the fixtures back a day because Utd play on Thursday and would then have to play again on Saturday. The chelsea and Brentford games would end up clashing with the spurs game also in london.
A quick call to UEFA and Sheriff and the United game in Moldova could have been moved to Wednesday. I would think that two out of Chelsea/Fulham/Brentford play at home every other week. there are what 13 clubs in London, it's not unusual.

Games get moved about all the time and some at very short notice.

IrishRedDevil

I'm Irish and I have no issues.

Presumably all those moaning will continue to go to work on Monday 19th, even if their place of work is closed?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They don't know when she is going to die or what games will be on that weekend. The obvious decision would have been to keep last weeks games on and cancel all the games this weekend but they fecked it.

Did this make more sense in your head?
:lol:

IrishRedDevil

Did this make more sense in your head?
Get off your arse and get out to work, volunteer somewhere, pick rubbish off the streets, help the elderly. Surely you can do something instead of taking the 'holiday'.

Why take the day off for the funeral, if there is such an issue with the Queen and Royal Family?

Moaners going to moan.

Lost bear

In addition, they need to be there to arrest all the people subvsersively holding pieces of cardboard.

Ludens the Red

What goalposts have been moved? No goalposts have been moved you're just wrong :lol:

Where are you actually from our of interest?
Wrong about what? I think it’s kinda obvious what my point is in all this. You got all attached to one line I made about the carnival (maybe you think I’m anti carnival or something, dunno people seem to get offended if you say anything negative about the carnival these days)
Just so there’s no further confusion….
Imo the carnival is higher risk than the queens funeral. What the police forces in this country perceive as a higher risk event is their decision and they will utilise their resources accordingly with that decision. Im not arguing against that. What can also be correct is that the resources being used may outweigh what the actual risk is.
10,000 police officers being on the streets of London (six days before the funeral) and up until the day before, I think some people could make an argument that, that may be excessive and a little surprising and wondering why officers from other forces are being pulled in.
I’m from England….