Is Gareth Southgate a shiite England manager?

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I actually think he’s done a good job given where things were at in the years before he took over, he just hasn’t had that extra edge to take them to the very end. Plus he’s fallen into that inevitable trap that most international managers who’ve been in charge too long do which is pick his trusted players that have served him well instead of giving others opportunities.

jeff_goldblum

I disagreed with plenty of his decisions but England outplayed France and would have won it if the ref had let them so he clearly isn't that bad. I'd have had Rashford on about quarter of an hour earlier like, and had Grealish on over Mount.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He'll win the euros in 2 years and people here will still be complaining that "we should have won better he should have done X/Y" :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't think he will, he's not a winner and I don't see England replacing Harry Kane. He'll be playing the same players regardless of form.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
England played well but they have a very good team. Thought he left his subs ten minutes too late and when he made them they were the wrong ones - Sterling in particular was a terrible decision and the sort of conservative favouritism that has characterised Southgate’s period as manager.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Shit manager, had a great squad, was good at winning against weaker teams and only once did he manage to win in a relatively even game (against a weak Germany), but aside from that always came up short against big teams.

Cloud7

But that's all on him, those are margins that decide international football. He's guilty both for not trying to use more of his squad and for bringing useless players like Sterling out of loyalty.
No I agree, I'm just giving some credit where it's due. I've always criticized him for setting up overly negatively, and for the first time he didn't. That doesn't mean I think he's good or that other areas of his management aren't lacking.

dinostar77

Hes not a great manager, with the talent at his disposal he should do better. Put van gaal in charge of this england team and you know tactically no one would out do england and he'd probably get you to a final.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Last year I thought Southgate managed that final terribly... This game though, we were the better side. He could probably have brought in different players instead of Mount /Sterling (the latter understandably looked way off it)... But I'm not sure it would have made a difference. The French just had the nous

GazTheLegend

For the first time I can say I thought he set up England really well. They were way more positive than France and dominated large parts of the game. You could say he should have made a change when they were on top and tried to get another goal, but that's how it goes sometimes. His subs were weird. Rashford and Graelish should have been on much sooner. Sterling hasn't looked like a footballer in a long time.
His over reliance on players like Mount and Sterling is bordering on fetishism at the moment when there are options like Grealish and Rashford available. Not even only that but they always appear too late to influence a game.

I've said it before in this thread and it bears no repeating but I will do it anyway: Southgate is the sort of manager that would rather have a 0-0 that goes to penalties than make a decision that could change a game, in sheer fear that making that decision is what causes him to -lose-. Managers like him that don't try to win, just try their best to not lose first, never win anything at all in the long run. The best managers make decisions at half time, bring attackers on at 60 minutes, and are forever thinking how to WIN, not how to not lose.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
He'll win the euros in 2 years and people here will still be complaining that "we should have won better he should have done X/Y" :lol: :lol: :lol:
He's winning nothing. But generally, give anyone 4 or 5 tournaments with top nations and see if they win. I'm sure there is quite a few managers capable of winning in that cycle.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Thing is he did the right thing from the start, picking a winning team again.

When it went wrong, once again, was when he had to make any kind of decision about the game. Mount and Sterling were lined up before the second goal...fine, we were level and maybe even slightly on top at that point, but then they scored and instead of rethinking he went ahead with the fresh legs/same positions tactic anyway. Literally his one and only tactic.1

I like him, I like why he's done for the squad and the togetherness and all that. But he isn't a winner, he doesn't have the guts to do anything. Said it all along, never changed my mind.

But fair fecks anyway, France will win this and we gave them a good game.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Fecking hell, played France even, arguably better, lost to a wonder goal and a missed penalty, and people are complaining about his subs. People talking about what a mistake it was to bring on the player that actually won a penalty :wenger:

Acole9

Outstanding
Yes he is. People will look back at this in 15 years time and think of this match, the Euros and will think what if we had a manager who's positive.

Zoo

Callum Wilson is in the form of his life. You have to go for broke and change it up when you’re desperate. Sterling and Grealish aren’t changing anything.

Also he has been burnt by his loyalty to Maguire. The difference between winning and losing

Last edited:

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Actually not many complaints about his management tonight, started with the team I wanted to see. England were the better team overall and went out with dignity.

Only thing can really criticise is Sterling was totally useless when he came on and the one to keep the pressure on would have been Grealish earlier. Didn't think either Saka or Foden deserved to go off, but probably not both of them.

Would have been a tough call but maybe Kane was the one to go off and let all the ballers on to rescue the game, but let's face it pretty much noone would ever make that decision

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This tournament I don't think Southgate put a foot wrong. It's the previous ones I have a gripe with.

I think England were the better team, we were nervous to play out quickly in the first half and that cost us but its a bit marginal and over evaluating if we beat him with a stick for it.

I guess one obvious bizarre thing was Grealish on, and a weird obsession for sterling.

phelans shorts

??? 4-1 to what??

Saka was our best player. Foden did nothing. Henderson was tired.

Sterling has been horrible for a year. Mount doesn't create.

How can you say those aren't an improvement? Grealish creates in his sleep. Rashford can finish.

Just like against Italy we could've won if we brought on our better attackers and took the initiative.

We have a better squad than France and we should actually try to win a match against a better team for once. Half chances and possession does not matter. Scoring goals when you have control of the match is what wins you matches.

I can't believe anyone thinks the first subs at 80 and decking Sterling and Mount was acceptable. Give your head a wobble ffs
You’re completely ignoring what I said. Unsurprisingly.

If you make the changes you suggest on the hour, then the midfield becomes non existent, and then you complain at how stupid that is. I even specifically pointed to Sterling for Saka being a bad move, again, you ignored what I said.

The idea behind bringing Mount on was obviously to just like for like replace Henderson pulling out wide and providing width against Theo, at 1-1 that’s a fairly sensible move (albeit personally I’d take a punt on Alexander Arnold in that role at that point) but again, it makes sense. Rashford for Foden earlier sure, I wouldn’t be against that move.

We were the better team on the day and lost to a very good side. It happens. As a United fan I’ve seen us on the other end of those plenty of times (including our last competitive game, as it happens). It’s far from the diabolical showing you’re making out.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
For the first time I can say I thought he set up England really well. They were way more positive than France and dominated large parts of the game. You could say he should have made a change when they were on top and tried to get another goal, but that's how it goes sometimes. His subs were weird. Rashford and Graelish should have been on much sooner. Sterling hasn't looked like a footballer in a long time.
Yeah pretty much completely agree, good take!

dal

He outplayed france and should have won. However he shit himself in the last 15 mins. A top manager put Foden central stirling right and Rashford left even frin the start, too conservative.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
That's such a simplistic way of seeing things. Had a couple of penalties fallen your way you could feasibly have won two World Cups and a Euros.
It is, I agree, simplistic. But had had had... is that enough.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He's winning nothing. But generally, give anyone 4 or 5 tournaments with top nations and see if they win. I'm sure there is quite a few managers capable of winning in that cycle.
History is full of better teams than this england side that won nothing. They just went out to a more talented team on the smallest of margins which were down to individual players

gazbradley

He’s done ok although I still feel his success has been helped significantly by favourable draws but he’s far too reactive than proactive. It doesn’t seem like he reads a game well enough and almost like he pre prepares subs. If we don’t win something with this era of players it’d be criminal

Zen

Confirmed, not above Sven. He doesn't even get of Sven's group in 2002 in fact.... maybe not even 2004. But if you, as with most, judge Sven's reign solely on the 2006 tournament, then well, yeah he's kind of better.

That also, isn't the disrespect it seems. Sven did fine, but as above, is far too remembered for a tournament in 2006, he still got a QF in, and to pens with butchered strikers and ending up with 10 men. It's fine, managers don't want the England job though.

England played well but they have a very good team. Thought he left his subs ten minutes too late and when he made them they were the wrong ones - Sterling in particular was a terrible decision and the sort of conservative favouritism that has characterised Southgate’s period as manager.
On the money.

Idxomer

Yes he is. People will look back at this in 15 years time and think of this match, the Euros and will think what if we had a manager who's positive.
He could've done better at the Euros but he was more positive today than the opposite manager.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't rate him, but I wouldn't put too much shit on his doorstep for this loss. We should have won, France were nothing special.

Would love to see him step aside though, but he won't.

Someone

Something
England played well but he still struggles to beat a top team at this level. Plenty of excellent players there and I don't think he's a top manager that could make a difference.

CloneMC16

We played well. Not blaming him for this. In the past, yeah, I was upset with how we played. Not tonight.

Amarsdd

Similar to Ole in a lot of ways. A better era than the last few before but ultimately just not good enough to actually win it.