Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

Was bought to be an upgrade on smalling who is a ball playing CB.
And he was an upgrade with the team having two top three finishes with him at the helm as Captain.
And Smalling a ball playing CB?? :lol:

Gums

Was bought to be an upgrade on smalling who is a ball playing CB.
I think part of my underlying dislike for Gareth Southgate is the way he managed to convince people that Smalling is worse at handling the ball and playing out from the back than Maguire.

I’m aware that Smalling isn’t one of the very best defenders around, but how our scouts(?) managed to rate Maguire as being so much more valuable than Smalling remains a mystery to me. Awful decision.

Bondi77

I think part of my underlying dislike for Gareth Southgate is the way he managed to convince people that Smalling is worse at handling the ball and playing out from the back than Maguire.

I’m aware that Smalling isn’t one of the very best defenders around, but how our scouts(?) managed to rate Maguire as being so much more valuable than Smalling remains a mystery to me. Awful decision.
He did'nt have to convince anyone that had an idea about football.
Smalling had really good speed, was great at man marking, was good in the air and would get 4 or 5 goals for us a season but he would have struggled to pass someone the salt and pepper.

Gums

He did'nt have to convince anyone that had an idea about football.
Smalling had really good speed, was great at man marking, was good in the air and would get 4 or 5 goals for us a season but he would have struggled to pass someone the salt and pepper.
You seem to be convinced that you have an idea about football. I’ll leave it at that.

Glorio

But he plays decent when in an England jersey, doesn’t he?
International football is generally a lower level than club football as teams don't have the cohesiveness of multiple training sessions together.
Also, against better teams, England are a lot less adventurous and are quite compact.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Our scouts didn’t

Glorio

My brother, I really like Smalling and think he was very underrated at United, but in no universe can he be considered a "ball playing CB".
Might be wrong, but I think (just because the initial connotation is so outrageous) he may have been trying to say we wanted to replace Smalling with a ball-playing CB

IRELANDUNITED

So he cannot celebrate a goal when he scored for his country?
Course he can, it was that arrogance of it though and pointing to his ears after scoring against Albania. It annoyed a lot of people, if you aren’t one of them then fair play.

Mmm-Qatarian

Might be wrong, but I think (just because the initial connotation is so outrageous) he may have been trying to say we wanted to replace Smalling with a ball-playing CB
That would make more sense, yeah.

Bondi77

Course he can, it was that arrogance of it though and pointing to his ears after scoring against Albania. It annoyed a lot of people, if you aren’t one of them then fair play.
Call me different but I have always cheered when a player has scored for the team or country I support but it does piss me off when a player I do not like scores against us.

Bondi77

Just a note on Smalling as I was a big fan of his despite his lack of ball playing ability in his time at our club;
Rasmus Hojland stated he is the best defender he has come up against in Serie A.

Tap

Worst fanbase in football, the man didn't even play and still gets clipped and abused en masse by our "supporters''
10 years of mediocrity has clearly broken a few :lol: I wonder who will be next on the carousal, Pogba to Maguire... to Sancho maybe?
You are free to worship your heroes. No one is stopping you. No need to go around policing others.

Looks like you are allergic to having standards and expectations of the players and that support is not an unconditional one way street.

Oldyella

You are free to worship your heroes. No one is stopping you. No need to go around policing others.

Looks like you are allergic to having standards and expectations of the players and that support is not an unconditional one way street.
Criticise him when he plays, he can't meet those standards while not playing was I think his point.

As for the 'upgrade' from Smalling to Maguire? I think Maguire as ball playing cb has caused more goals than the ungainly Smalling. Certainly caused the defense to become far more nervous over the past few years.

Gordon S

International football is generally a lower level than club football as teams don't have the cohesiveness of multiple training sessions together.
Also, against better teams, England are a lot less adventurous and are quite compact.
Never really understood this idea that he is so much better for England. I see the very same player every time. Slow, ponderous, clumsy. There are games for both club and country where he is simply playing for the much stronger team and gets lots of time to do what he wants to do. I also get the feeling that Englands setup gives defense a lot of protection most of the time from hard working mids like Rice, Bellingham, Phillips, Henderson, which really helps him to get lots of time on the ball.

Hammondo

And he was an upgrade with the team having two top three finishes with him at the helm as Captain.
And Smalling a ball playing CB?? :lol:
Sorry I wrote that incorrectly, I was meaning Maguire is supposed to be a ball playing CB.

Hammondo

My brother, I really like Smalling and think he was very underrated at United, but in no universe can he be considered a "ball playing CB".
Yea I wrote it incorrectly, was supposed to mean Maguire is supposed to be a ball playing CB.

Hammondo

Basically 80m more. I'm not sure what happened but he's not the only player we have bought that hasn't been good enough. Just wish we could do what's been done with Grealish.

Zetrio2002

He won't stay a worldwide meme for long once he leaves.

For the amount of fee he will be getting (maybe 3% of transfer fee), it will still be worth it.

Loony BoB

I just feel sad for the guys when they do poorly, I don't want to make fun of them much. I probably do on occasion though...

I honestly hope he does really well wherever he ends up in the future, so long as it's not against us.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I just feel sad for the guys when they do poorly, I don't want to make fun of them much. I probably do on occasion though...

I honestly hope he does really well wherever he ends up in the future, so long as it's not against us.
Yeah, I think he's finished at the club.

A football team's dressing room can be brutal. Anyone who's played a bit would have experienced being, or seen someone who's disliked by the majority because they're a liability on the field. I imagine it's much worse at top professional football clubs.

IRELANDUNITED

Call me different but I have always cheered when a player has scored for the team or country I support but it does piss me off when a player I do not like scores against us.
Well I know it annoyed a lot of England fans as well and other, but I’m glad it didn’t bother you.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Not everyone's related to Maguire or is part of their fan club, as you appear to be.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
A move to Leicester (if they stay up) would be an ideal homecoming for him and be more attuned to his level.

And to those posters on here who think we shouldn’t be overtly critical of United players- blind faith sucks the joy and meaning of being a fan. A vocal and purposefully critical fan base is a necessary ingredient for success.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
A move to Leicester (if they stay up) would be an ideal homecoming for him and be more attuned to his level.

And to those posters on here who think we shouldn’t be overtly critical of United players- blind faith sucks the joy and meaning of being a fan. A vocal and purposefully critical fan base is a necessary ingredient for success.
Maguire is owed app. £30m on his contract. That is basically twice of what someone like Tarkowski is earning, and Everton is paying high salaries…

Could we find someone willing to pay Maguire 100k a week like Tarkowski? Maguire is getting older. I think that is doubtful, but you never know. Could we get 30m for Maguire if he was on 100k a week? That would imply that we could get 15m for him and the other 15m going to Maguire as a sign-on fee to get him to accept being released from his contract with us in favor of signing for 100k with someone else taking a 50% pay cut.

I think it will be hard to find a taker for Maguire, but you never know. A team I wouldn’t rule out is Sheffield United if they want to bring in a ‘homegrown legend’ of sorts… ;)

Bondi77

Not everyone's related to Maguire or is part of their fan club, as you appear to be.
And not everyone has hate for a man that is just trying to do his best for the club and country that I support as you seem to have but for people like you if it wasn't Harry it would be someone else.

Bondi77

A big difference between doing a regular celebration than cupping his ears against fecking San Marino.
Could have been worse
He could have run to the corner flag and jumped in the air and shouted something I once heard in the movie Deliverance :houllier:

TsuWave

Isn't that horrible bomb threat thing old? is it being posted now to garner sympathy or something?

Him being a punchline for memes or reference point for bad defending doesn't mean people condone horrid things like bomb threats

AlPistacho

Isn't that horrible bomb threat thing old? is it being posted now to garner sympathy or something?

Him being a punchline for memes or reference point for bad defending doesn't mean people condone horrid things like bomb threats
Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s being posted now to gain sympathy and somehow connect criticism and banter to serious criminal things

Mmm-Qatarian

No idea why Rojo thinks he can talk. Absolutely fecking dire player. Maguire might be awful now but he was miles better than Rojo when the two were both at United.

I imagine some in here will probably be backing him though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.