g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is Harry Maguire being a worldwide punchline deserved?

Status
Not open for further replies.

van Nistelrooy

DDG is clearly the main culprit. It should be feckin' obvious to him that...no, you don't play that sort of pass to anyone in this United team, and certainly not to Maguire. Even if he stupidly signals he's available for a pass (players do that all the time).
Maguire took the match out of the box and proceeded to light the fire. Yet you blame de Gea because he gave Maguire (someone old and experienced enough to handle it) the box in the first place. Yeah that sounds right.

This team has been playing out from the back nervously long before EtH and have continued to do so this season, even on the rare occasions when Maguire has played. It obviously hasn't been forbidden when Maguire plays, as everyone would be going beserk at each other in the aftermath.

It was Maguire's fault.

R0nald0

Under a rug on top of a mountain under the stars.
I feel a bit sorry for him tbh.

He's a fantastic player in a certain system. He is that for England, he was that for Ole. He was bought when we played a deeper defensive line and he is excellent in that role. Unfortunately for Maguire, we have changed our philosophy completely, playing a much higher line and moving from a fast progressive counter attack team to a possession based team.

Maguire will find a team that he will be fantastic for - it won't be a high line team, but he'll be one of the best players in an average team (saimilar to how he was at Leicester). The fact that we're asking him to play in a system that he doesn't excel in, is hardly his fault. He's trying to do the best he can in a really bad situation.

I hope he moves on in the summer to a West Ham / Newcastle / Everton or a Serie A team where defenders are more low block than they are in the EPL.

HarryIwillbebackMcQuire

Maguire took the match out of the box and proceeded to light the fire. Yet you blame de Gea because he gave Maguire (someone old and experienced enough to handle it) the box in the first place. Yeah that sounds right.

This team has been playing out from the back nervously long before EtH and have continued to do so this season, even on the rare occasions when Maguire has played. It obviously hasn't been forbidden when Maguire plays, as everyone would be going beserk at each other in the aftermath.

It was Maguire's fault.
Well said !
Maguire previously had great heading skills and that was it. Now he doesn't have the ability to run fast.

It may be a life event but everything went bad for him / us when he got in trouble in Mykonos..

Jund

Does he "deserve it"? Hell yes, he does. Every time Phil Jones, I repeat Phil Jones steps on the pitch it's evident he looks like he's 20 levels above Maguire.

Crashoutcassius

It's a problem with the club that the fans refuse to stand by our 4th choice centre back when we are relying on him until the end of the season and he has zero match sharpness

wolvored

ETH isn't going to change the captaincy issue mid-season. On the off chance that Maguire is still here next season he'll definitely drop down the pecking order, but we'll have to put up with it for the rest of this season.
Oh I misread thought it was for next season. No he wont this season

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He’s one of the only United players I’d be happy to see hounded out of the club. Ever.

RoyH1

Unfortunately (and I hate writing this), yes, he’s comically bad for us. The price tag we can do nothing about but stop having him running around with the armband. It’s not good for him or us to give it that extra level of patheticness

I Am Zlatan

It was Maguire's fault.
it was both of their fault, Maguire shouldn’t signal for it (knowing himself, and possibly wasn’t aware he’s between 3 players), and De Gea shouldn’t have passed because it’s a dangerous pass to make, also he should know the weaknesses of his teammates and act accordingly, in my opinion they’re both at fault. Just because a player ask for the ball, it doesn’t mean it’s the correct call.. also don’t go asking a nervous keeper for a dangerous ball like that, especially when you have the agility of a tank.

mattunited1978

doommonger
He's an absolute clown, its fecking embarrassing seeing him with the captains armband, a sub who's only playing because of injury, utter shite, calamity follows him... never mind being one of the most mentally weak players in the squad, and he gets the fecking armband when we're unfortunate enough to have to play him?? Because? I dont know

Ole'sgunnarwin

It's a problem with the club that the fans refuse to stand by our 4th choice centre back when we are relying on him until the end of the season and he has zero match sharpness
It's a problem with the club that he makes mistakes practically every match that costs us many points, cup competitions, makes us a laughing stock basically yet, he still manages to play. Stick a youngster in or move a player to CB, they'll be miles better than this clown.

Himannv

It was Maguire's fault.
If you were the keeper in that situation, would you really make that pass to Harry Maguire of all people?

Stadjer

You can tell how quick the 2 players press on Maguire, they smell blood
Most team do, dont they? Troy Deeney once told in an interview that Fred was there press trigger. Since Fred isnt always playing and not playing as a DM when he does, Maguire seems to be the press trigger for the opponent now. Seems logical because he is the perfect trigger. Slow in mind and body but thinks he is good enough to play himself out of the press. It will result in Maguire losing the ball to a player or making a horrible pass that gives the opponent the ball.

jm99

Yeah, remember ferries retirement speech

"Your job now is to stand by our 4th choice centre back"

Tango80

He needs to leave in the summer as there's so many other teams he'd do a better job for. He just doesn't suit how we play.

If someone offered 40mil for him you take the money and run

hobbers

He's a fantastic player in a certain system. He is that for England, he was that for Ole. He was bought when we played a deeper defensive line and he is excellent in that role.
Christ. Only if your standards are so rock bottom that finishing outside of the relegation places constitutes fantastic.

Lecland07

It was Maguire's fault.
There is no box.

Maguire is the oil and De Gea is the kid with matches.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Christ. Only if your standards are so rock bottom that finishing outside of the relegation places constitutes fantastic.
I worry when I read shite like that. When has Maguire EVER done anything fantastic in his career. Forget season, one game.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Well Leicester won the league. But you're right he's quite limited. Since high press started dominating the EPL certain players have been much less able to cope.

hobbers

Well Leicester won the league. But you're right he's quite limited. Since high press started dominating the EPL certain players have been much less able to cope.
Long before Maguire arrived. His first season at Leicester they finished 9th, 49 points and conceded 60 goals. A minimal (3 point) improvement on the season before. Then in his second season they finished 9th again with 52 points.

In other words, he contributed nothing significant to Leicester at all. Didn't improve them, wasn't crucial in keeping them where they were.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Long before Maguire arrived. His first season at Leicester they finished 9th, 49 points and conceded 60 goals. A minimal (3 point) improvement on the season before. Then in his second season they finished 9th again with 52 points.

In other words, he contributed nothing significant to Leicester at all. Didn't improve them, wasn't crucial in keeping them where they were.
Oh right bad memory soz. My mistake. In any case there's no place for him in a modern high press team. Like Ronaldo and DdG it's simply not going to work.

hobbers

Oh right bad memory soz. My mistake. In any case there's no place for him in a modern high press team. Like Ronaldo and DdG it's simply not going to work.
Haha no one would ever believe that a defence of Simpson, Wes Morgan, Huth and Fuchs conceded 36 goals in 38 games.

In the process of upgrading/replacing them with a defence built around Maguire, they ended up conceding twice as many goals per season.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Haha no one would ever believe that a defence of Simpson, Wes Morgan, Huth and Fuchs conceded 36 goals in 38 games.

In the process of upgrading/replacing them with a defence built around Maguire, they ended up conceding twice as many goals per season.
And coincidentally, Leicester conceded less goals in 19-20 than they did in 18-19.

j65454

Think he's being used a scapegoat. The whole team is hardly pulling up any trees.

chickensgowoof

I just got back from Costa Rica, and I watched the first Seville game in a bar in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of locals. They all started laughing when Maguire came on. Tried to speak to one of them and they were comparing him to a handicapped cow. When he scored that own goal, they were on the floor with laughter. I just want to point out that the whole world is laughing at us.

clarkydaz

I just got back from Costa Rica, and I watched the first Seville game in a bar in the middle of nowhere with a bunch of locals. They all started laughing when Maguire came on. Tried to speak to one of them and they were comparing him to a handicapped cow. When he scored that own goal, they were on the floor with laughter. I just want to point out that the whole world is laughing at us.
i hope you told them he has nothing to prove

Alcio77

Think he's being used a scapegoat. The whole team is hardly pulling up any trees.
Not really. I think it is more about fans' frustration of seeing always the same clowns and dead woods of the Solskjaer’s era, regularly sinking team's improvements. Whom Meguire represents the apex.

DON’T PANIC ™

It’s no secret that a significant number of Utd fans “dislike” Maguire.
Curious to know if there are, or has been in the past, players for other teams that their own fans detest?

Maybe not the right thread for this post?

Status
Not open for further replies.