Is it ever okay to stop supporting your football club

Would you ever switch allegiance from the team you support to another in the same league?

• Total voters

LInkash

If you grew up supporting a club, following them closely, you'll form such a strong emotional connection that you just naturally aren't able to switch.

It's like having a teddy bear from when you were a baby, you wouldn't throw it out for a new shiny one just because it's better. Umm...this is a shit analogy.

So you are saying that if my marriage ends in divorce that means I never truly loved my wife?
This is an interesting point of view however. UTD KIDS WIFE. In that order is probably a bit tongue in cheek but it is strange that loyalty to your spouse is less expected of you than loyalty to an entity which doesn't love you back.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I stopped caring about football around 2009 basically during the last few year if Fergie, a part of me wishes I hasn't and enjoyed the great man more.

It's either due to the football United played being boring to watch (to me, football is a spectacle and shouldn't be a chore to watch) or becoming more of an adult with responsibilities so less time to focus on football and dedicate the time I used to.

When I was younger, I'd watch the youth team and reserves on MUTV, pre season, every game - it was a religion, and my mood was very much effected by football, now I just follow results and highlights for which I'm actually glad as United over the last decade would have made me a miserable person to be around.

That being said, that's just falling out of love with football in general, I still have that connection to United, and it had nothing to do with the awful period we're experiencing right now as that should really be expected with football tbh.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Switching clubs at the sign of struggles is pathetic. You choose your club and you stick through them thick and thin. I honestly don’t know why this would cross a persons mind if they have truly found the club for them. If you’re thinking about it, go find your club and don’t darken our paths again splitters. This forum ain’t for you

Football success happens in cycles, just remember that

On another note, I grew up in derry mostly, where you chose United or Liverpool. It was really weird to see all these Newcastle and Blackburn tops pop up in the 90s. Glory hunters. Nobody likes glory hunters

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
I think it’s ok to stop worrying and caring less about the club, especially when you see the owners and management destroying it. To switch to another club is a big no no for me.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
It's to do with the origins of the clubs in working class communities. The idea of representation through union and pride in who you are. So it was originally who you are, not who you choose. That has stayed through the constant metamorphosis from local working class sports clubs to global behemoths. Yes it makes no sense now, but it's one of the decreasing threads that connects us to the origins of the game.
Of course and I get that there is also part of a family loyalty to it for some people where they honor the tradition of parents/grandparents. I just wanted to give it some food for thought and therefore put it pointedly.

I expected the replies to be rather one sided on a football fan forum and for people to dismiss the question raised without giving it much thought.

As humans we like to think most things never change when in reality almost everything changes constantly including ourselves.

Spoony

The People's President
Switching clubs at the sign of struggles is pathetic. You choose your club and you stick through them thick and thin. I honestly don’t know why this would cross a persons mind if they have truly found the club for them. If you’re thinking about it, go find your club and don’t darken our paths again splitters. This forum ain’t for you

On another note, I grew up in derry mostly, where you chose United or Liverpool. It was really weird to see all these Newcastle and Blackburn tops pop up in the 90s. Glory hunters. Nobody likes glory hunters

Modern thinking mate, why can't we support Liverpool and United?

wolvored

I was born and raised in Salford and moved through work and missus to Wolverhampton. I have lived in Wolverhampton (just outside actually) for 2/3 of my life now. My son is a Wanderers fan along with other members of my family. I used to go to Wanderers games in the past, when my son was growing up, but still Utd is my first love. I class my self 2/3 Utd 1/3 Wanderers now, because of this.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
United has a special place in my heart and I always want the best for the club, but I don’t like today's team. It’s the worst team I’ve experienced.
This. Can't get myself to cheer or support any of these players.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Modern thinking mate, why can't we support Liverpool and United?
it’s typical of those with a closed off, narrow mindset. i watch every game of football hoping both sets of players make it through 90 minutes unscathed. the result is meaningless.

a group of lads and i head down to the local boozer to watch most matches and we sit in a circle singing kumbaya whilst sinking wheatgrass smoothie after wheatgrass smoothie during the match. a couple of jocular types asked us whether we were city or united during the recent manchester derby. they called us poofters when we said “both” and ridiculed our half and half scarves.

Spoony

The People's President
it’s typical of those with a closed off, narrow mindset. i watch every game of football hoping both sets of players make it through 90 minutes unscathed. the result is meaningless.

a group of lads and i head down to the local boozer to watch most matches and we sit in a circle singing kumbaya whilst sinking wheatgrass smoothie after wheatgrass smoothie during the match. a couple of jocular types asked us whether we were city or united during the recent manchester derby. they called us poofters when we said “both” and ridiculed our half and half scarves.

Look I'm as modern as the latest dinosaur, if a club is causing you mental anguish you should change without worrying what others think. Fans love watching Liverpool win and why not? They play great football. And I'll be uber open minded, why can't we also want City to win, heck let's throw in Bayern and PSG too as a sort safety net. Those old people and their notion that supporting their club through thick and thin is...so passe. We change our wives, husbands and gender all the time. What's the difference? Christ I'm binary I've not even chosen my gender today.

City and PSG rock.

Last edited:

Red Star One

To be honest as a foreign fan it probably comes easier, but I think if United were to be owned by some despicable bunch like Sauds I’d find it really difficult to feel strong emotional attachment anymore. Us being shit doesn’t make me support the club any less, even if I’d watch less games and get less excited about United in general.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It's a true mark that you're fed up with football enough to stop supporting your team ONLY when your team is top/winning/in great form.

Otherwise you're just a prawn muncher and always have been, and Roy Keane was referring directly to you all your life.

Tarrou

if you were a Chelsea fan I think it's okay

doesn't make up for the fact you were a Chelsea fan to begin with, but it's a step in the right direction

Interval

Level
Yeah, it's fine, people take football too seriously.
This.

Do what makes you feel good. I’m personally too invested in United to move to another club. But I might just lose interest if something massively revolting happens at the club (like Saudis taking over), I might just give up on English football. But who’s to say a decade from now I don’t feel the need to then support another club if football gets interesting again.

Does that make me a worse fan than Manchester life long ticket holding supporters. Yes. Of course. But Ialsodon’t give a shit what others think. Think fan dick measuring contest is stupid in any case

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I think yes, if it is natural. I think it's quite easy to fall out of love with a team due to politics/other issues and slowly fall in love with another (perhaps you've moved town and started supporting your local side etc.). I wouldn't say I just support Everton, they are my no.1 team but whenever I move city I try and build up a support of the local team and dip into games etc.
I think that's a bit different though. I've done the same with the various cities I've lived and worked. Always tried to embrace the city and attend as many local games as I can. So I have a soft spot for 2-3 clubs up and down the leagues and one in the PL besides Chelsea but I don't consider myself a supporter or a fan of any of them. Just an affinity, whose results I look out for.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It's to do with the origins of the clubs in working class communities. The idea of representation through union and pride in who you are. So it was originally who you are, not who you choose. That has stayed through the constant metamorphosis from local working class sports clubs to global behemoths. Yes it makes no sense now, but it's one of the decreasing threads that connects us to the origins of the game.
Thanks Moses. This is the first reasonable explanation I've seen if this phenomenon.

That said, it highlights how archaic the view is.

On the flipside, sport is entertainment so it is hard to understand why people would punish themselves watching shite teams or teams that stress and frustrate them in the absence of a very local connection. Even then, what would be wrong with a Manchester boy like Spoony changing allegiance to City?

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Look I'm as modern as the latest dinosaur, if a club is causing you mental anguish you should change without worrying what others think. Fans love watching Liverpool win and why not? They play great football. And I'll be uber open minded, why can't we also want City to win, heck let's throw in Bayern and PSG too as a sort safety net. Those old people and their notion that supporting their club through thick and thin is...so passe. We change our wives, husbands and gender all the time. What's the difference? Christ I'm binary I've not even chosen my gender today.

City and PSG rock.
100% correct. if you just refer to your team as “they” and never expand upon it further then you can assure you always win.

“see they won at the bloody weekend again, martin? three years, no draws, no defeats. must be some kind of record.”

Spoony

The People's President
Thanks Moses. This is the first reasonable explanation I've seen if this phenomenon.

That said, it highlights how archaic the view is.

On the flipside, sport is entertainment so it is hard to understand why people would punish themselves watching shite teams or teams that stress and frustrate them in the absence of a very local connection. Even then, what would be wrong with a Manchester boy like Spoony changing allegiance to City?

As Oates said, it's utterly unthinkable, it's never even been a topic of conversation. Once you're a part of a tribe, that's it they're your colours, it's not about winning, they're just your team, your club. We've also got a rivalry with City, how can one feel that rivalry and then change to the other side because their team isn't very good? I used to watch the NFL when I was very young - it became popular and most kids had a team, I chose The Raiders because they played in the first game I watched, the other team was the Cowboys and I just couldn't follow them. I don't watch nor know much about American football but I'll still look out for their results hoping they'll win the Superbowl one day. You've been a fan of United long enough to feel a lot for the club. Surely that's the case?

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I always wonder how the American fans handle teams just popping up out of nowhere or moving to different cities. I guess it's one thing if you support "remotely", but for the local "dad took me to my first game" people it must be a bit weird.

I genuinely can't tell anymore if this is a serious post.

Spoony

The People's President
100% correct. if you just refer to your team as “they” and never expand upon it further then you can assure you always win.

“see they won at the bloody weekend again, martin? three years, no draws, no defeats. must be some kind of record.”

'They' would make sense and politer than saying 'all my teams won this weekend!'. That'd make you look like a greedy bastard. 'How are your husbands?' 'THEY'RE fine thanks, how are yours?' sounds better than 'Great weekend, I shagged all my husbands on Saturday!'

Spoony

The People's President
I always wonder how the American fans handle teams just popping up out of nowhere or moving to different cities. I guess it's one thing if you support "remotely", but for the local "dad took me to my first game" people it must be a bit weird.

In Ireland it's either United or Liverpool and has been for generations.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
In Ireland it's either United or Liverpool and has been for generations.
That still doesn't take away from the irony of calling someone glory hunter for not supporting one of the two historically biggest clubs in the country like oneself.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
There is a name for that: Glory Hunters.
Not necessarily. I know lifelong City fans in my family who don’t agree with their current ownership and so moved over to following LESS SUCCESSFUL teams.

Likewise, stopping supporting Utd because you cannot bear to wish the Glazers success and finding yourself cheering on a smaller club is the opposite of being a ‘glory hunter’.

You can relocate to a different city, you can divorce your partner, you can change your music taste, you can change you gender ffs…

Of course you can change the fecking football club you support.

Tribalism is one part of enjoying football, but engaging more intelligent parts of your psyche shouldn’t be frowned upon.

Ironically, it’s tribalism and blind loyalty that allows clueless owners like the Glazers to continue getting away with doing such a bad job…

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I can see the irony but worth remembering United and Liverpool are very Irish clubs and cities. The two ports that Irish immigrants historically moved through and settled in. Natural that those are the closest physically and culturally to Ireland.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I can see the irony but worth remembering United and Liverpool are very Irish clubs and cities. The two ports that Irish immigrants historically moved through and settled in. Natural that those are the closest physically and culturally to Ireland.
Doesn't that apply to City and Everton as well though? In general the most successful clubs having/gaining the largest following is pretty much a universal phenomenon, isn't it?

Acquire Me

Supporting your club is a bit like marriage. The good and bad days.

United will always be my club.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Doesn't that apply to City and Everton as well though?
Good question. I'll let the Irish United and Liverpool fans defend themselves on that score, but I'd imagine the 'my dad introduced me to this team' thing also applies to Irish United and Liverpool fans, but yeah of course neither club is immune to fans latching on to them because they were winning things.

Cole9

I'll always be a United fan. I'd never switch to another team. Sadly though, I've lost interest in football in the last few years. I don't really watch many games anymore and most of the ones I do watch are boring to me. There's lots of things about the modern game that I don't like, VAR being one of them.

golden_blunder

Staff

Serious post. What’s confusing you?

golden_blunder

Staff
That still doesn't take away from the irony of calling someone glory hunter for not supporting one of the two historically biggest clubs in the country like oneself.
Literally Blackburn tops just appeared in the season they topped the league and quickly died away again about 6 months later. That’s glory hunting and a bit of ABU thrown in

golden_blunder

Staff
Doesn't that apply to City and Everton as well though? In general the most successful clubs having/gaining the largest following is pretty much a universal phenomenon, isn't it?
Everton have an Irish connection too , don’t know about city