Is it ever okay to stop supporting your football club

Would you ever switch allegiance from the team you support to another in the same league?

• Total voters

Spoony

The People's President
Yeah, imagine supporting your team being relegated and stuff. Pretty sure you’re more familiar with that than we are.

United were relagated in 74. Played great football that season and had the highest attendances in the country.

Polar

United has a special place in my heart and I always want the best for the club, but I don’t like today's team. It’s the worst team I’ve experienced.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I pick a new team every season.
very wise. i usually make my decision around mid-may for whom i was supporting for that season. going to be some cracking teams to choose between this summer with the way liverpool and city have been playing.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sure, it's just football, but I dont think it's possible to really switch the club you support emotionally once you're invested.
Absolutely, you’ll never switch off emotionally.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
United has a special place in my heart and I always want the best for the club, but I don’t like today's team. It’s the worst team I’ve experienced.
we just haven’t got that many likeable players at the minute. rashford is campaigning to stave children whilst lingard watches on whilst body popping and pleading with his twitch followers to buy his lastest drip. ronaldo is just preening himself in the mirror, occupying the same positions as cavani trying to comb his hair. maguire is standing in the corner trying to mark an indoor plant. bunch of cnuts imo.

R'hllor

Guess people can do what ever, in our case, its bit different i guess, because there is no football club to support, at least how i view Manchester United of today.

TheReligion

Abusive
Like I could never support another English team but I’ve been brought up on Celtic. But I’m not getting rid of United cause they’re a bit shit but cause there isn’t anything that makes me want to support them and I don’t see how, we as people, are okay to part ways with almost anything; yet we support our team even if they’re owned by people whom chop up journalists or steal money of poor Russian people or they simply use the club as a cash cow. I don’t understand why fans can’t say — feck that and why their respective fans can’t say — that’s fecking very respectable!
You’re just being honest which is fair enough. I guess some have allegiance to their club that runs deeper than that.

I love the history of United and the spirit and grit of the club. That doesn’t vanish for me when times are tough. I’m proud to be a United fan and for me you either get it or you don’t.

The club has been around since 1878. Longer than Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal.. I take the rough with the smooth however admittedly there’s nothing wrong in going through indifferent spells. Still love the club though.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
very wise. i usually make my decision around mid-may for whom i was supporting for that season. going to be some cracking teams to choose between this summer with the way liverpool and city have been playing.
I might start doing that.

I usually write down the names of every team in Europe, put them in a comically oversized fez I won at a fairground years ago, and pick one at random.

It's not a great strategy, I'm supporting Boulogne this year and, to be honest, it's been a fecking struggle.

SirAnderson

I could try but I know it would never be the same, there is just something that ties you to a club regardless of what you try to do. I have a lot of other teams I "support" but I only actively get emotional about Manchester United, the rest is like ah well.

That being said, it's like others have said already, I'd end up rather not following football than find myself support another club in the same way I do Man Utd, it just can't happen, despite me wish it could at times.

jasT1981

Main club? No, I'll never switch from United.

I've had a few clubs I've followed with interest over the years. In the early 90s I followed AC Milan when Italian football was big on channel 4. Didn't watch for a number of years then after going to a few Roma games when in Italy I followed them for a while. Also followed Rangers in the mid 90s. More of an Northern Ireland social thing, you were either Rangers or Celtic. Grew out of that around 97. Now it's only Man Utd and Orlando City in the MLS as I've spent a lot of time in Orlando.

Same for the NFL. San Fransisco 49ers are the only team I will ever support.

Seveneric

It's sport, not a blood pact. Life is depressing enough, and sport is supposed to be a way to mitigate that. if your team isn't bringing you joy, feel free to move on.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Perhaps a fan can do that, but supporting is for life. I can understand divorcing yourself from your club if ownership changes hands to owners who go against your principles, but for purely footballing reasons, no. You weather any storm and endure. Again, the highs and lows of a supporter over a fan.

Fans can switch allegiance once what they are a fan of at a particular time is no longer applicable. A fan of, say, United's bravado of the 90's can easily see the light go out once that football faded; a supporter has to take the highs with the lows and have their face dragged in the proverbial - and relative - mud for as long as it is fated to be.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
If a known criminal and human rights abuser bought Arsenal I would stop supporting the club.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I mean ultimately you should do what you want to do.

I wouldn't be able to support another club with the same passion as Spurs though, particularly in the same league.

I think I'd find it incredibly difficult to continue to support the club if we got an owner like Chelsea/ Newcastle /City have.

I know of a couple of Spurs fans who totally disengaged in every way when Redknapp was the manager because of disgust at his prior antics and only returned once he'd left.

James Peril

Well, nobody goes from United to Liverpool or City, unless you’re 12, but it’s perfectly fine to fall out of love with United and generally just love football - if at all. Become a more objective viewer. Many foreigners are called glory hunters and I believe United of course have the most of them in the world given the long success over 20 years.

Will however a top red living in Manchester who goes to every game get more excited over a win or a trophy vs. some random Korean or Norwegian who became a fan after Solskjær scored against Bayern? Will the emitions fly higher? Of course not, it’s just football, which compared to a lot of stuff is pretty low on the list. The older you get and the more family members you have, as well as responsibility at work, the less time and effort is devoted to football. That’s my experience at least, I’d much rather watch PSG - City than United - Everton on a Wednesday night with this current bunch, gives me very little.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Yeah, imagine supporting your team being relegated and stuff. Pretty sure you’re more familiar with that than we are.
I edited my earlier post because I think I took your OP at slightly more face-value than I should have.

I was very young the last time we got relegated, but as a teenager I did see us go 6 months without scoring at home. I still loved the club, my support never wavered I just dreamt of better players like the ones you got down the road. I did accept that it most likely never were going to get better though. Then we won the lottery

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Some level of perspective is needed; United's struggles right now would be snatched at by 99.9% of the football pyramid

One can walk away from supporting a football club if it's causing them some level of distress I guess... It's becoming a Real Madrid or Chelsea fan afterward that is just scummy and glory hunterish

And this is an Irish forum? I've been on here for over a decade and I don't know a lick of Irish

Paxi

You’re just being honest which is fair enough. I guess some have allegiance to their club that runs deeper than that.

I love the history of United and the spirit and grit of the club. That doesn’t vanish for me when times are tough. I’m proud to be a United fan and for me you either get it or you don’t.

The club has been around since 1878. Longer than Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal.. I take the rough with the smooth however admittedly there’s nothing wrong in going through indifferent spells. Still love the club though.
Don’t get me wrong I love United and I’ll not stop supporting United but you have to ask these questions? Why do I do if? Why don’t I just support Celtic, whom, for the most part, have one shite date a year?
Perhaps a fan can do that, but supporting is for life. I can understand divorcing yourself from your club if ownership changes hands to owners who go against your principles, but for purely footballing reasons, no. You weather any storm and endure. Again, the highs and lows of a supporter over a fan.

Fans can switch allegiance once what they are a fan of at a particular time is no longer applicable. A fan of, say, United's bravado of the 90's can easily see the light go out once that football faded; a supporter has to take the highs with the lows and have their face dragged in the proverbial - and relative - mud for as long as it is fated to be.
You know better than most. Like with MMA fighters. Things come and go.

Paxi

I edited my earlier post because I think I took your OP at slightly more face-value than I should have.

I was very young the last time we got relegated, but as a teenager I did see us go 6 months without scoring at home. I still loved the club, my support never wavered I just dreamt of better players like the ones you got down the road. I did accept that it most likely never were going to get better though. Then we won the lottery
I still don’t understand why you’d even say that?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The kids nowadays support individual players and follow them from club to club. That I don't understand at all but in the spirit of not being a condescending git I say to each their own.

Tyrion

I might stop supporting United but I don't think I'll ever support another PL club.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
My Dad grew up in Newcastle going to all home matches. When he moved to London for work after graduating he started going to his local club Wimbledon and eventually became a Dons fan. A few years later Wimbledon played Newcastle and he wanted Wimbledon desperately to win. He now doesn't support Newcastle at all, but wants them to do well.

matt10000

The kids nowadays support individual players and follow them from club to club. That I don't understand at all but in the spirit of not being a condescending git I say to each their own.
Football career at top 15-20 years, who do they support after that?

Hardly a life long commitment

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
You know better than most. Like with MMA fighters. Things come and go.
Oh, my comment isn't a pop, just the word support generally forces a person to be a lifer, whilst a fan doesn't have that obligation.

Ultimately, it comes down to the individual to set their own terms and abide by them, really.

Andre Kagawa

People (non-football fans) asked me that when I got my United chest tattoo. "But what if you switch club?" :lol:

The thought has never even crossed my mind.

Yagami

Good post resistant
My uncle and and brother switched from United to City.

My best mate in secondary school switched from City to Newcastle because of Shearer.

Doevle

Not ok to switch teams, but to stop rooting for your team is another matter. I would definitely stop watching United if the Saudis ever (God forbid) where to buy us.

Red_toad

and potentially to switch allegiances?
I realise that this is an Irish forum, and there are lot of people on here whom have a certain club close to their hearts.

How close are you to just switching to any club, if ever? Is it something frowned upon (well it is - by muppets in my opinion) and how have you handled this if you ever changed your colours.

Anywhoo, this thread doesn’t have to be about your experience but it’s also about how your experience would be.

I’m just going to go out and say it. I’m away to support Celtic.
Fair weather fans chop and change frequently. Least supporting Celtic will give a an over 50% chance of them winning something every season.

GBBQ

I’ve been supporting United for 30 years and have been absolutely blessed with amazing football moments in that time. I think the only thing that would end my support completely would be a sale of the club to an unethical regime. I’d just give up supporting a team in that case and be a neutral. Can’t really imagine getting excited to watch (or be emotionally invested in) any other team.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I might start doing that.

I usually write down the names of every team in Europe, put them in a comically oversized fez I won at a fairground years ago, and pick one at random.

It's not a great strategy, I'm supporting Boulogne this year and, to be honest, it's been a fecking struggle.
trust in the process. trust in the system. sometimes the fez sees things we cannot.

Zaboot

and potentially to switch allegiances?
I realise that this is an Irish forum, and there are lot of people on here whom have a certain club close to their hearts.

How close are you to just switching to any club, if ever? Is it something frowned upon (well it is - by muppets in my opinion) and how have you handled this if you ever changed your colours.

Anywhoo, this thread doesn’t have to be about your experience but it’s also about how your experience would be.

I’m just going to go out and say it. I’m away to support Celtic.
You'll be back at the first sign of us challenging again.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I suppose if the team moved away to another city some people would switch if another team moved in? Sounds silly but this has happened a lot in the States starting with the the Brooklyn Dodger baseball team who left Brooklyn and moved to LA. That ripped the hearts out of the whole of Brooklyn and Queens. Most people would not support the LA Dodgers. The Mets showed up a few years later and that was the new team. Imagine that in the PL

Oranges038

No, unless it's an MK Dons situation.

As for people who switch clubs when a player moves, that's just plain sad unless you are under the age of 10.

Does their interest in the game just end when that player retires? Or do they go scoutingo around for the next big thing before that happens?