Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee565

To think we hesitated to buy him for 110 million but we wasted 75-80 million on de beek who we brought for 35-40 million but can barely get a game and also needlessly bringing Henderson back to the club to rot on the bench when we could have got 40 -50 million for him whilst his stock was high and now he wants a loan in January and Romero wants out as well because ole has handled the situation badly

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To think we hesitated to buy him for 110 million but we wasted 75-80 million on de beek who we brought for 35-40 million but can barely get a game and also needlessly bringing Henderson back to the club to rot on the bench when we could have got 40 -50 million for him whilst his stock was high and now he wants a loan in January and Romero wants out as well because ole has handled the situation badly
It was the right move not to spend 100m on Sancho. Dortmund is trying to rip our wallet on player that is not worth 100m. The 35m-40m should have been used on Partey instead of de Beek.

Lee565

It was the right move not to spend 100m on Sancho. Dortmund is trying to rip our wallet on player that is not worth 100m. The 35m-40m should have been used on Partey instead of de Beek.
Tbh I would have much rather we had spent 110-120 million on acquiring two world class fullbacks to help allow for more flexibility with using different winger-less formations.

LVGSdive

Henderson wanted to come back. He had offers to go out on loan again.

our fans are always so negative. Henderson being back at the club has brought out the best in DDG. That’s a massive positive, and doesn’t show that OGS has handled the situation badly as all. The plan was always to move Romero on, that failing does not lie with the manager.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Tbh I would have much rather we had spent 110-120 million on acquiring two world class fullbacks to help allow for more flexibility with using different winger-less formations.
Who are these world class fullbacks?

RkkMan

Have you seen Sancho`s form and how much money clubs have lost due to the pandemic? Utd were 100% correct not to pay the 110m for Sancho especially with BVB wanting ALL OF IT up front.
Granted VDB`s buy is looking strange but everyone in this forum was complaining about how poor our depth beyond Pogba/Bruno was and did you see how shocking DDG was last season? He needed competition to get the best out of him which we have with Deano. If we sold him and he did well elsewhere and DDG at 30 on big wages continued to underperform you`d still be complaining

fergie_god

Trying to comprehend how your mind works is hurting my own brain. Is VDB worth 35-40 or 75-80? I'm assuming you added the wages for some reason for him but not for Sancho's overall fee? Also nobody was going to spend 40-50 million Dean Henderson. Jesus, can the caf do a better job of filtering out people like this.

AndyMUFC

He wasn't worth it in a million years, though he'd obviously still be a good signing next summer as we're desperate for a top right winger.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I’d say his heart isn’t in it after failing to get his move home. To be fair, right now, we look smart for not shelling out but I think he’d have hit the ground running here. They won’t get 120 for him and surely his wages will come down if he keeps it up. Lot of the season left to come back though.

jamesjimmybyrondean

You wouldn’t have thought that judging by the Sancho thread in the transfer forum
It was unpopular opinion to say Sancho wasn't worth Dortmund's asking price during the window. Now it's popular opinion. In the end though we should calm down on these big money deals because they rarely work out. Maybe it should only be reserved for generational talents and the best players in the world

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
In the end though we should calm down on these big money deals because they rarely work out. Maybe it should only be reserved for generational talents and the best players in the world
Absolutely, it was an astonishing amount of money and it would have felt wrong to encourage clubs asking for that amount for largely unproven players. Also, the price of Bruno only highlights that because Sancho would have had to really be something to justify the extra.

Much as we needed to add quality to that position I’m glad it didn’t go ahead.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I’d say his heart isn’t in it after failing to get his move home. To be fair, right now, we look smart for not shelling out but I think he’d have hit the ground running here. They won’t get 120 for him and surely his wages will come down if he keeps it up. Lot of the season left to come back though.
Didn't catch their game today but in previous games it looks like losing Hakimi may have hurt him a lot.

When there’s deals like Bruno out there, it does seem a but insane, especially during the corona Summer.
Sancho is class, but I reckon tonnes of fans would turn on him as fast as Maguire due to that insane fee.

SinNombre

What are you smoking?

How can we waste 75-80m on VdB when we bought him for 35m.

What kind of insanity is this (il)logic.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He was shit yesterday but he wasn’t the only one. The whole Dortmund players were the same.

drmuji

I really want Zork to reflect. He was so arrogant and thought that by not budging to his demands he is setting the presidence for future transfers of BVB
Eat my shit now Zork

MDFC Manager

What are you smoking?

How can we waste 75-80m on VdB when we bought him for 35m.

What kind of insanity is this (il)logic.
He's referring to buying VDB and not selling Henderson to arrive the the cumulative figure of 75m

Whilst I think he’s pure class, my worry watching him on certain occasions in 2020 is that we’d end up with a 100m Kagawa or Miki, 2 players I thought were dead certs to rip it up at United.
How much more has Sancho done than those two at Dortmund really?

tenpoless

50-60m : hell yes
61-70m : yes
71-80m : fair
81-90m : expensive but alright
91-100m : too expensive, we are robbed
100m+ : feck you Dortmund

1)At £120m would he have turned us into title winners? Probably not.

2) Were there other right wingers who moved for much much cheaper and are doing good? Well look no further than City and Chelsea

jamesjimmybyrondean

1)At £120m would he have turned us into title winners? Probably not.

2) Were there other right wingers who moved for much much cheaper and are doing good? Well look no further than City and Chelsea
Imagine if we spent 120m on Sancho and he was struggling here while Chelsea and City's cheap RWs were doing well. Can't imagine the headlines.

Red00012

80 mill max take it or leave it Dortmund

Actually Ed might give you a Ballon D’Or clause too

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Swap Pogba for Ronaldo next summer

Sign Sancho on a free transfer in 2 years.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
After being ripped off for Maguire I think we will see a very cautious approach to big money signings (if it can get anymore cautious).

Wouldn't be put off by Sancho form being off after him being denied a move he wanted. He has still showed moments thos season why we want him. Maybe if Amad turns out to be the superstar we have been told we won't bother going back in.

Gabagoo

Surely with Diallo and Pellistri, this deal is over?
Two kids who won't make any dent on the first team for at least two or three seasons? ... Actually, that does sound like United logic.

In any case, Sancho is proving this season why I claimed all through the summer that he's overrated.

Forget Sancho and get Saint-Maximin, who can rotate with Greenwood and James. Save the rest of the cash. Everyone wins.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
People are judging him like a superstar in their prime.
At his age most players were talking about right now, are just breaking into the first team.
People forget he's only 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.