Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saivet

Cant see the board going in for him ever again. The fact they bought the 2 kids, who are within a couple of years in age of Sancho, shows that they got 2 chances at RW for a lot cheaper than 1 sancho
While that is true the club need to feel either Pellestri and/or Amad are ready by next season for it to make any sense. We can't afford to be waiting for them to be ready for first team football next season, we need to strengthen the RW asap. No point planning for the future if the present solution isn't viable for the next couple of years.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I was not really the biggest fan of him because I felt he was a bit overrated due to the players always looking better at Dortmund thing and everyone was loving up the first young England player to do it over in Germany for Dortmund.

Now that seems to have died down - what's the right price for him?

saivet

I was not really the biggest fan of him because I felt he was a bit overrated due to the players always looking better at Dortmund thing and everyone was loving up the first young England player to do it over in Germany for Dortmund.

Now that seems to have died down - what's the right price for him?
Probably around £60m if he doesn't have an incredible second half of the season.

el3mel

Never really blamed us for not signing him. Good job we didn't splash all this money on one player. The only mistake was that we should have walked off from the deal earlier than what we did.

But Woodward got this one right.

RRCE

It’s much too early to write off Sancho, or to definitively state that Dortmund made a mistake not selling him to us. First of all, we really don’t know what we actually offered them in the summer. There were rumours, but 99% of those are nonsense. Secondly, while Sancho hasn’t started the season well, he’s on a long term deal and has plenty of time to find his top form again. It doesn’t look good for Dortmund at the moment, but time will tell.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
United were clearly offering more than a ”right price” in the Summer.

Honestly, considering how the majority of Dortmund players turn out elsewhere. 65m is about “right”.

That said, I’m not even sure we should pay that now.
Probably around £60m if he doesn't have an incredible second half of the season.
60-65 was my opinion too

Matt851

It’s much too early to write off Sancho, or to definitively state that Dortmund made a mistake not selling him to us. First of all, we really don’t know what we actually offered them in the summer. There were rumours, but 99% of those are nonsense. Secondly, while Sancho hasn’t started the season well, he’s on a long term deal and has plenty of time to find his top form again. It doesn’t look good for Dortmund at the moment, but time will tell.
Yeah its easy to see it turning round if dortmund get a more progressive manager such as marco rose

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I do think this is classic shortermism at its best from the CAF. Just watch him go to a Chelsea or Liverpool and threads like this will be rueing us not having got him when we could

It would be dodgy us still trying to get him now though, let him rediscover his form and then go back in because ours isn't the environment someone low on confidence can come in and thrive in

marktan

I've been a big of Sancho since he broke through at Dortmund, he's a very talented player and I think would fit in well with out fast front line.

That said though there are plenty of reasons the £100m fee didnt make sense, and despite me wanting a RW for about 7 seasons now (and still think we need one desperately) the club deserves credit for not going out and splashing out on him.

Reasons:
1) He's not an explosive dribbler, or one that breaks a low block. I worry that won't translate well to PL and we'll end up with another player that doesn't take a man on. Whenever I've seen him for England or in the CL he's been reluctant to go at defences.
2) We've been burnt in the past with Dortmund players that scored 15-20 goals in a season - Mikhi and Kagawa. For whatever reason Dortmund attackers score more.
3) He's not left footed - not really a big deal as top wide players can play both sides but ideally you'd want a left footed who can cut in and finish.

4) Post-corona prices have gone down with revenue depletion, its unreasonable of Dortmund to still expect £100m+, though obviously they're entitled to ask for whatever they want.
5) I think there are good, cheaper alternatives - players like ASM at Newcastle. Ideally Diallo turns out to be good because good scouting can save a lot of money and it can be fun to watch cheaper young players grow. I think the prices of £100m should be reserved for the Ronaldos, Bales, Suarez's of this world - players that are the best in their position. Transfers have inflated post Neymar/PSG but we've seen a lot of good but not generational players moving for 100m ish and not living up to expectations - Griezzman, Coutinho, Dembele, Lukaku etc. I think Neymar, Mbappe off the top of my head are two of the few players that would deserve such a sum currently.

ReddBalls

One good outcome of the failed Sancho transfer is that if United moves for Haaland, Dortmund knows United will back off if the price is unreasonable.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I do think this is classic shortermism at its best from the CAF. Just watch him go to a Chelsea or Liverpool and threads like this will be rueing us not having got him when we could

It would be dodgy us still trying to get him now though, let him rediscover his form and then go back in because ours isn't the environment someone low on confidence can come in and thrive in
Keita,Pulisic,Havertz and Werner were all on the CAF Muppets wishlist from the Bundsliga and went to Chelsea/Liverpool.

They still have it all to prove in the PL.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

They can have him if the price is 100m. We’ve got so many glaring holes in the squad, it’s time we address all those instead of throwing an entire budget on one player. Especially a player who has shown nothing of note in the CL or for his country.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
One good outcome of the failed Sancho transfer is that if United moves for Haaland, Dortmund knows United will back off if the price is unreasonable.
Unlike Sancho, Haaland’s team was smart enough to add a get out of jail card.

ReddBalls

Unlike Sancho, Haaland’s team was smart enough to add a get out of jail card.
I know. But there's still a possibility to jump in with a bid higher than the clause next summer, as it will not be active until 2022. What happens if United bid, say, 90 mil and Haaland wants to go?

Bondi77

Good point.
It will be interesting to see who goes for Sancho now as with our investment in Diallo and Pellistri it will not be us.

Bondi77

I think Werner is impressive with his movement and has good speed and am pretty sure he will be a success in England, Havertz will be lucky to last a season.

RkkMan

I don’t see how him starting the season off poorly is any different to martial or rashford. Blips in form happen and it’s not the end of the world. He’s a very good player who had his bags packed and I’m sure he’ll be back in form again soon. I doubt his head is right currently
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of everything that is good and holy don`t put Rashford and Martial in the same sentence(or Sancho) if we`re talking about form. Even Stevie Wonder can see he`s having a MUCH better season of the 3

RkkMan

Nobody is writing him off people simply have their reservations on many things namely:
1. If he was ever worth the price tag and frankly looking at how the 100m plus signings have turned out(bar Mbappe and Neymar who are just a tier below Messi/CR7) including Dembele who was signed from BVB with similar hype to Sancho there will be question marks.
2. If he`d ever set the PL on fire considering he struggles to outperform Sterling and Rashford for England and has a frankly poor record in big games in the BL and CL
3. The same league he comes from made Mkhi and Kagawa look like Kaka reincarnated only for them to flop here, made KDB/Sane look average in their first seasons and are making Werner/Havertz look average too every chance Sancho would follow a similar route
Credible rumors from England and Germany suggested we offered 80m pounds plus add ons rising to 95m which is circa 100-110m euros in total in a pandemic that is VERY good money which BVB look VERY silly for rejecting as nobody then or next year was or will ever pay 120m UP FRONT. Make no mistake Sancho is talented but BVB shot themselves in the foot how they handled the saga and Utd are justified not caving into BVB`s demands all factors considered. At best BVB will get 80-90m if they`re lucky

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I would hesitate to put 70m bid on him right now.

I mean, if he is struggling in BL, how are we supposed to expect him to perform in PL? Especially when we see top young BL players here like Havertz who is struggling bad in PL.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He was always the latest hype merchant. Doesn't mean he isn't/won't be great, but probably means he's not as special as made out. What's weird is the clubs quite often don't seem to spot this, both the buying and selling clubs. Dortmund should have cashed in.

Another defeat and shitty Sancho performance.

Do you love to see it Dortmund Twitter?

Thought not you smug cnuts.
:lol:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I would hesitate to put 70m bid on him right now.

I mean, if he is struggling in BL, how are we supposed to expect him to perform in PL? Especially when we see top young BL players here like Havertz who is struggling bad in PL.
The whole Dortmund players are struggling right now not just him. But yes, I hope this reduce his price drastically.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE for the love of everything that is good and holy don`t put Rashford and Martial in the same sentence(or Sancho) if we`re talking about form. Even Stevie Wonder can see he`s having a MUCH better season of the 3
Rashford's having a strange season. He's only really played well in about four games and in the other matches his overall performance hasn't been much better than Martial. However unlike Martial and Sancho he's managed to continue to get goals and assists in his poor performances.

Depending on how you look at it that's either a worrying or a promising sign. There's a question over whether he can keep getting those goals and assists if he doesn't kick back into form, but on the other hand it's great that he's still getting us goals even when playing poorly and it promises big things if he does get back into truly good form.

ManRed

Save the right wing money and buy a solid DM and CF. Team will look more complete with such signings. Amad and Pellistri should be given a chance as backup next season.

gorky_utd

I will happily use the money to buy a cb next. Both Facundo and Diallo deserves a chance to prove themselves plus we probably need to sell James first. Our main issue is not creativity but to finish the chances as well as to protect the backline.

thepolice123

I've been a big of Sancho since he broke through at Dortmund, he's a very talented player and I think would fit in well with out fast front line.

That said though there are plenty of reasons the £100m fee didnt make sense, and despite me wanting a RW for about 7 seasons now (and still think we need one desperately) the club deserves credit for not going out and splashing out on him.

Reasons:
1) He's not an explosive dribbler, or one that breaks a low block. I worry that won't translate well to PL and we'll end up with another player that doesn't take a man on. Whenever I've seen him for England or in the CL he's been reluctant to go at defences.
2) We've been burnt in the past with Dortmund players that scored 15-20 goals in a season - Mikhi and Kagawa. For whatever reason Dortmund attackers score more.
3) He's not left footed - not really a big deal as top wide players can play both sides but ideally you'd want a left footed who can cut in and finish.

4) Post-corona prices have gone down with revenue depletion, its unreasonable of Dortmund to still expect £100m+, though obviously they're entitled to ask for whatever they want.
5) I think there are good, cheaper alternatives - players like ASM at Newcastle. Ideally Diallo turns out to be good because good scouting can save a lot of money and it can be fun to watch cheaper young players grow. I think the prices of £100m should be reserved for the Ronaldos, Bales, Suarez's of this world - players that are the best in their position. Transfers have inflated post Neymar/PSG but we've seen a lot of good but not generational players moving for 100m ish and not living up to expectations - Griezzman, Coutinho, Dembele, Lukaku etc. I think Neymar, Mbappe off the top of my head are two of the few players that would deserve such a sum currently.
1) He is a close control and tricky dribbler, which is ideally what you want from your winger to break down a low block.

2) Vastly different player compared to Kagawa and Mikhitaryan. Both of them are dependent on movement around them in order to move the ball with quick passing. The Dortmund high pressing system also suited their style of football. Sancho is a player who is more creative and individualistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.