Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Save the right wing money and buy a solid DM and CF. Team will look more complete with such signings.
Or you know just spend it on another right winger seeing as we don't have one, haven't had one for years and the team is desperately missing a creative outlet on the right.

How people can watch this team regularly and not see the gaping hole of creativity down the right side of the attack is baffling to me.

Amad and Pellistri should be given a chance as backup next season.
Back-up to whom though?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I said all along that Dortmund were overplaying their hand and would come to regret it.

Matt851

I also dont get how people are talking about the right wing being sorted. We still look incredibly unbalanced, greenwood has struggled this season and has also looked a bit of liability defensively. From what i have read about amad and pellistri we will be lucky if they sre ready for first team action this season. I suspect people are being over optimistic about them because we so desperately need someone in the position

In the absence of signing sancho, i would love us to get someone a bit older anx more mature who could be rotated with greenwood

Or you know just spend it on another right winger seeing as we don't have one, haven't had one for years and the team is desperately missing a creative outlet on the right.

How people can watch this team regularly and not see the gaping hole of creativity down the right side of the attack is baffling to me.

Back-up to whom though?

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
In the absence of signing sancho, i would love us to get someone a bit older anx more mature who could be rotated with greenwood
We have Mata still for the rest of the season. I can see him starting tomorrow perhaps, and he gives us something that nobody else does in that position.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
We need someone for the right, but it would clearly have been very difficult for Sancho to justify that fee as the season is evidencing. Just look at the record transfers in football, most have heavily under delivered.

RUCK4444

Hate to admit it but Woodward seems to have judged this one correctly when they dug their heels in and said it’s too much money.

That said I still think a motivated Sancho in our team this year would have been a huge boost for us.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Happy Sancho Day! Today we declare our interest in other targets and he can start floundering at BD.

We have signed Amad and I think this is the player we want to integrate as our RW.

The Irish Connection

Surely Wolves would consider 40m for Traore?

Watching Dortmund again yesterday, Sancho was average again, but would still take him for the right money.

Let’s hope Diallo plays well.

The 16 year old lad up front for Dortmund yesterday looks quality for his age. Skip Haaland (Raiola) and go for him?

Nogbadthebad

I get that everyone is saying it was too much money and hos form right now shows it.

But a Sancho who wants to play, at a club he wants to be at could have made the difference in games this season.

The difference between champions league and europa, the difference between 26 points if we win our game in hand or 30 points and first place.

The money isn't so much in those situations.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I get that everyone is saying it was too much money and hos form right now shows it.

But a Sancho who wants to play, at a club he wants to be at could have made the difference in games this season.

The difference between champions league and europa, the difference between 26 points if we win our game in hand or 30 points and first place.

He can't even make a difference for Dortmund in BL.

RkkMan

He plays in a league that made Kagawa and Mkhi look like the 2nd comings of Kaka his numbers were good but they can be deceiving coming from the Bundesliga. Havertz and Werner seem to be struggling as well and even Sane/KDB needed a bit of time before they started playing well consistently. Factor in he rarely starts ahead of Rashford and Sterling for England and his relatively poor record in big games and one can understand why no club would pay over 100m for him.
Also how many players bought for over 100m have been successful? Only Neymar and Mbappe come to mind and they`re a tier below Messi/CR7. Griezmann, Coutinho, Dembele, Felix(though he`s improving a little) etc have all been disappointing as hell. There`s every chance Sancho would have struggled to match the expectations of a 100m player with the No7 shirt at Utd which comes with BIG expectations and the question marks would always roll in like other players who cost over 100m or say Maguire.
Sancho is still a top player and Utd should still sign him but to say the money shouldn`t matter is very silly that price tag has to come down

Chief123

Watching Dortmund again yesterday, Sancho was average again, but would still take him for the right money.

The 16 year old lad up front for Dortmund yesterday looks quality for his age. Skip Haaland (Raiola) and go for him?
Wolves are struggling to get any kind of consistency out of Traore. He looks like he can deliver so much but then fails to too often. So much potential but no application. He just can’t seem to be effective unless he starts on the bench and comes on as an impact sub.

GazTheLegend

I said all along that Dortmund were overplaying their hand and would come to regret it.
Agree, and my feelings on it are similar to with any player - if they are not 100% committed to the club then there's no point even having them and you're just haggling at that point on a price. Similar with Pogba - at this point it's not "if" it's "how much" and at some point you just accept whatever their last offer was and get on with your lives.

Happier that we signed Traore and Pellestri and genuinely excited to see how they get on. Diallo Traore day approaching fast.

AneRu

Sancho without the necessary defensive reinforcements would have landed us right where we are. You cant accuse United of failing to create and score chances but with a soft centre it just means that we need to score more goals to win matches or even avoid defeat.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
So? We are talking about this season:
Sancho in BL: 0 goals in 11 games
Haaland in BL: 10 goals in 8 games
It doesn’t change the fact that the other whole players were poor not just Sancho alone. Everyone were poor except Reyna & Haaland.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It doesn’t change the fact that the other whole players were poor not just Sancho alone. Everyone were poor except Reyna & Haaland.
Ok, so there are few exceptions. I guess Sancho is nothing special then, just one of squad players who is helpless to impact the game when team is in poor form.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Ok, so there are few exceptions. I guess Sancho is nothing special then, just one of squad players who is helpless to impact the game when team is in poor form.
He’s a young talented teenager not Mbappe level.

HowYouDoin

He was worth 100 million after the last season and Dortmund should have cashed in.
What just happened to them is a good example for selling clubs to sell when the time is right and when the player wants the move cuz otherwise what happens, once a player has moved on in his mind and you received a good offer, you ought to sell. Otherwise those young players might not perform as well, in their mind they were already at the next level. They will lose the motivation at the club where they feel theyve done as much as they can.

Sancho would still be a good player, but given his drop off in form, he will never be as valuable to Dortmund again as he was this summer.

a sensible price for him now would be £60m, and that would still be a massive fee. Dortmund didn’t seem to realise there was a global pandemic.

they probably won’t be able to sell him now, as they have an expectation of a fee that has no grounding in reality.

Suvvernmanc

There's a reason Traore can't get in the starting 11 regularly. He's average at best. The most overrated player in the PL.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Masterstroke in negotiation from The Wood.
Maybe he has learned from past mistakes or he just got lucky. Either way I hope he would not let Zorc and Dortmund hear the end of it, if we're still interested in Sancho. Tell them "we offered you X last transfer window but it's changed now, your player has regressed so he should be cheaper" over and over again. Annoy the feck out of them. I hope they finish 5th.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I find it staggering that quite a few on here seem to be suggesting that a player’s (presumably temporary) dip in form will adversely affect his transfer value.

I think Dortmund will be getting less than 100 million for him next season but I’m pretty sure that his current blip in form wouldn’t be why. The fact remains that Sancho is a world class talent and we will be on a different level with him in our squad.

I find it staggering that quite a few on here seem to be suggesting that a player’s (presumably temporary) dip in form will adversely affect his transfer value.

I think Dortmund will be getting less than 100 million for him next season but I’m pretty sure that his current blip in form wouldn’t be why. The fact remains that Sancho is a world class talent and we will be on a different level with him in our squad.
world class? World class potential perhaps.

a big argument against him being anywhere near world class is when he’s played for England - looks distinctly average.

of course poor form affects a transfer fee. Players in the ascendancy always attract a premium. There are now question marks around him, which had an affect - and aside from Inited, no one else is interested/ can afford him.

HowYouDoin

Maybe he has learned from past mistakes or he just got lucky. Either way I hope he would not let Zorc and Dortmund hear the end of it, if we're still interested in Sancho. Tell them "we offered you X last transfer window but it's changed now, your player has regressed so he should be cheaper" over and over again. Annoy the feck out of them. I hope they finish 5th.
Hahah yup. And the more Dortmund keeps him the more they risk his value dropping if he has really checked out mentally which it does seem like he did. Dortmund did it to themselves. It was a very predictable outcome.

I had less issue with us not paying the 100m than i did with us dragging it out all summer and failing at the last minute.

He's not worth 100m on the pitch and never was, but i still want him here. He's got fantastic ability and the marketing potential of having Rashford and Sancho together is worth 10 or 20 million on its own.

I had less issue with us not paying the 100m than i did with us dragging it out all summer and failing at the last minute.

He's not worth 100m on the pitch and never was, but i still want him here. He's got fantastic ability and the marketing potential of having Rashford and Sancho together is worth 10 or 20 million on its own.
strange statement at the end.

Rashford is the Face of Man Utd, and everyone knows who he is. he’s a marketing dream.

I bet the vast majority of non football fans couldn’t pick Sancho out of a line up. they won’t even know who he is.

quite a few football fans wouldn’t know what he looks like either.

He wouldn’t bring any marketing benefits to the club - that’s not a slight on him, but I do not see the link at all.

strange statement at the end.

Rashford is the Face of Man Utd, and everyone knows who he is. he’s a marketing dream.

I bet the vast majority of non football fans couldn’t pick Sancho out of a line up. they won’t even know who he is.

quite a few football fans wouldn’t know what he looks like either.

He wouldn’t bring any marketing benefits to the club - that’s not a slight on him, but I do not see the link at all.
Nobody knows Sancho because he's 3 years younger than Rashford and plays in Germany. The pair are going to be the front line of the England team for the next 10-15 years, people will know him soon enough.

Nobody knows Sancho because he's 3 years younger than Rashford and plays in Germany. The pair are going to be the front line of the England team for the next 10-15 years, people will know him soon enough.
I think Rashford and Greenwood are more likely to be the Focus of our marketing team, even if Sancho came in.

when people say a player is going to be in a team for 10-15 years, the vast majority of the time that doesn’t happen.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Which is why Sancho has to join a prem team, ideally united, if he wants to boost his profile, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.