Is Jadon Sancho really worth the 100 plus million fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

treble_winner

I honestly wonder what is going through the head of Michael Zorc in regards to Sancho.

They continue to lose revenue during the pandemic with no sign of it coming to an end anytime soon.

This coupled with Jadons and Dortmund's terrible form will only increase the pressure on Zorc to find a deal and sell him. If rumors are to be believed (insert a pinch of salt) Jadon wants to move home and was disappointed a deal to bring him to Old Trafford didn't materialise.

Could we move for him in the summer? What would be an acceptable price for both teams? £50, £60, £70 million?

I'm sure we'll ignite our interest in the coming months.
I want Ed to have them drink their own medicine by putting a £40 million deal with a "Take it or leave it" manner.
I don't even care if we get Sancho or not now. I just want to get back at Dortmund for their blasphemy last summer. We spent a whole summer trying to work around their demand of 120 millions. Now it's their turn to spend their whole next summer working around our 40 millions offer. :keano:
Sorry, Sancho. But Dortmund just angered me massively last summer.

Red4Life_#7

I want Ed to have them drink their own medicine by putting a £40 million deal with a "Take it or leave it" manner.
I don't even care if we get Sancho or not now. I just want to get back at Dortmund for their blasphemy last summer. We spent a whole summer trying to work around their demand of 120 millions. Now it's their turn to spend their whole next summer working around our 40 millions offer. :keano:
100% agree!!! We were in a worldwide pandemic, every club was feeling the lost of revenue, but they were still trying to sqeeze blood out of us and drag our name through the mud.
60-70m is the max price.

Let them learn a lesson...

Josep Dowling

This a thread about Sancho but since there’s a fair amount of discussion that a CB is a greater need than a RW, I’d just like to point out that a DM is a greater need than a CB.
Agree and disagree. I think our big problem is our two CB both lack pace and when Matic is played as a DM that is another player lacking pace as well.

Having a RW would be a huge upgrade for us and provide balance going forward. If I was an opposition manager you simply focus on the left side of our attack. We don’t have a natural RW and Wan Bissaka also offers nothing going forward. It’s about time we got this sorted and I think our front 3 could end up like Liverpool’s free flowing 3. Sancho is a quality player. Everyone now wants Haaland which is understandable but if we sign him we still don’t have a RW. The issue with our squad wouldn’t be fixed.

Plymouth Red

11 Bundesliga games this season, no goals, only five out of twenty four shots on target, three assists.

100 plus million fee =. 1,000,100.

Yeah. Sounds about right.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Is that coat really worth 175 pounds?

No, but you need it.

Still need him. And a CB.

ROFLUTION

11 Bundesliga games this season, no goals, only five out of twenty four shots on target, three assists.

100 plus million fee =. 1,000,100.

Yeah. Sounds about right.
Funnily enough Pulisic went through same hype and fall/draught (albeit on a smaller scale)

Was then sold cheaper a year after, and Chelsea made a good deal. Both did considering his level back then.

One could hope a more sensible pricelevel on Sancho happens in a year too. Dont think we'll go for him if his price doesnt fall quite a lot. Already made our moves on Diallo

hobbers

Well done Woody for not bending to Dortmund's demands.

Just a shame he didn't do the same for AWB and Maguire.

GenZRed

As others had said this summer we should offer £40 million to Dortmund and say 'take it or leave it.'

marktan

1) He is a close control and tricky dribbler, which is ideally what you want from your winger to break down a low block.

2) Vastly different player compared to Kagawa and Mikhitaryan. Both of them are dependent on movement around them in order to move the ball with quick passing. The Dortmund high pressing system also suited their style of football. Sancho is a player who is more creative and individualistic.
He does have very close control and can get out of tight spots, but he's not an explosive dribbler. One major criticism from Dortmund fans of Sancho this season is that he rarely takes a player on.

In the PL the best wide players are ones that have athleticism too, so that they can make space for themselves against the fullbacks.

I might be doing him a disservice as Pulisic for example dribbles very well in the PL, but for me it's 50/50 if Sancho turns out like that or is more like Mikhi in his dribbling in the PL.

saivet

That was all well and good but he chased him so hard that there wasn't time to get an alternative.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He obviously isn't worth that type of money but it's more a case of them not wanting to sell unless someone meets that ridiculous price for him.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Doesn't hide the fact that he has very poor season so far, no matter who you want to bring along with in discussion.

Look over 99% people think he doesn't worth the money Dortmund is asking for, and everyone thinks this season he has been very poor. You might be the odd here one who think otherwise.

Truth is, he has never prove himself outside BL. There are lots of outstanding top performers in BL who flopped big time in PL over the years, and he couldn't even perform in BL this season (while some of his teammate in Dortmund has been performing brilliantly). So lets not assume he is a guarantee world class player but just suffering from short dip of form. It could be the other way round.
Did I say he's worth the money?

Did I say he hasn't been poor this season so far?

Why are you even replying my post if that's what you are arguing about? Do you read?

Cloud7

He does have very close control and can get out of tight spots, but he's not an explosive dribbler. One major criticism from Dortmund fans of Sancho this season is that he rarely takes a player on.

In the PL the best wide players are ones that have athleticism too, so that they can make space for themselves against the fullbacks.

I might be doing him a disservice as Pulisic for example dribbles very well in the PL, but for me it's 50/50 if Sancho turns out like that or is more like Mikhi in his dribbling in the PL.
Pulisic is the definition of an explosive dribbler though. Pulisic is absolutely rapid, so not exactly the best comparison for the point you're trying to make.

Caesar2290

Am I the only one around here who thinks that the reason Sancho's performances dropped is because he is sulking right now kinda like Ronaldo did during the 2008-2009 season. I think he had his mind set for a new challenge, but since Dortmund kicked up a fuss and refused to budge he is stuck there with no motivation.

I think a new move might invigorate him. Not necessarily to last years heights, but he will improve, definitely.

Woody's been on a roll lately. While most of CAF is frustrated that he runs the negotiations to the wire so far far it seems to have worked out. We've avoided signing an uninterested player in Dybala, signed Bruno and Telles for under the asking price. Got the VDB deal over the line quickly. I think he might have a learned a thing or two from his past failings.

redshaw

£60-70m feels about right just now.

Dortmund will hope for a good second half of the season and the prospect of full stadiums for the summer/autumn next year if they want to sell. Around 80 mill probably the top end for most big clubs next summer if things go well.

Mindhunter

Didn't help that someone in the club openly spoke about how we should be looking to take advantage of clubs in the covid window. Then their president goes on record saying there would be no corona discount.
Well it was a negotiating tactic for a business deal since Dortmund were fixed on their price in a market where the impact to revenues were unknown. We still don't know when fans will be allowed back in without any restrictions. It was a wise move by the club and frankly they should have negotiated with that reality in mind. The club never said that this is what we are willing to pay and not a buck more i.e., our stance wasn't a hard one and we were willing to negotiate.

Dortmund miscalculated the real impact of the pandemic, hoping that it will only be a blip and the value of their asset will sustain over the long-term. Seems to be the wrong decision in hindsight.

UncleBob

Am I the only one around here who thinks that the reason Sancho's performances dropped is because he is sulking right now kinda like Ronaldo did during the 2008-2009 season. I think he had his mind set for a new challenge, but since Dortmund kicked up a fuss and refused to budge he is stuck there with no motivation.

I think a new move might invigorate him. Not necessarily to last years heights, but he will improve, definitely.

Woody's been on a roll lately. While most of CAF is frustrated that he runs the negotiations to the wire so far far it seems to have worked out. We've avoided signing an uninterested player in Dybala, signed Bruno and Telles for under the asking price. Got the VDB deal over the line quickly. I think he might have a learned a thing or two from his past failings.
Kinda like what now? Ronaldo returned and was as professional as ever, key player for us that season

Caesar2290

Kinda like what now? Ronaldo returned and was as professional as ever, key player for us that season
You misread my post. I'm not saying Ronaldo downed the tools or anything. What I am saying is that his heart wasn't in it anymore. He wanted that Madrid move in 2008, but then SAF asked him to stay one more year. Reluctantly, he agreed, but more out of respect for SAF than anything. And the statistics back it up.

He scored 23 and assisted 23 in 2006-2007. He scored 42 and assisted 7 in 2007-2008. In 2008-2009 he scored 28 and assisted 9.

And to this day this remains his worst season since 2006-2007.

United58

You misread my post. I'm not saying Ronaldo downed the tools or anything. What I am saying is that his heart wasn't in it anymore. He wanted that Madrid move in 2008, but then SAF asked him to stay one more year. Reluctantly, he agreed, but more out of respect for SAF than anything. And the statistics back it up.

He scored 23 and assisted 23 in 2006-2007. He scored 42 and assisted 7 in 2007-2008. In 2008-2009 he scored 28 and assisted 9.

He started 2008/09 with an ankle injury though, and we were worse going forward with Berbatov starting most league games. A lot of 1-0 wins got us the title that year, didn't we break the clean sheet record?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Well it was a negotiating tactic for a business deal since Dortmund were fixed on their price in a market where the impact to revenues were unknown. We still don't know when fans will be allowed back in without any restrictions. It was a wise move by the club and frankly they should have negotiated with that reality in mind. The club never said that this is what we are willing to pay and not a buck more i.e., our stance wasn't a hard one and we were willing to negotiate.

Dortmund miscalculated the real impact of the pandemic, hoping that it will only be a blip and the value of their asset will sustain over the long-term. Seems to be the wrong decision in hindsight.
Many of us, myself included owe Woodward a massive apology for slating him so hard in the summer.

He played brinksmanship as hard as he could, but he was also 100% correct not to pay BVB’s ridiculous demands, which they will also not get close to in any bids this January or the summer.

When Sancho does leave, the record will show that BVB made a catastrophic financial error not selling to us last summer.

Caesar2290

He started 2008/09 with an ankle injury though, and we were worse going forward with Berbatov starting most league games. A lot of 1-0 wins got us the title that year, didn't we break the clean sheet record?
You're right about him being injured and we did break the defensive record for the league, but that's not what this thread is about.

I still think a new challenge might revitalize Sancho the same way it revitalized Ronaldo.

hobbers

It's definitely part of it because, even leaving aside football and financial motivations, he really wanted to be back in England.

Though to start with he's just not a £100m+ player. Not even in the market at its most inflated. If you look at his goals/assists numbers in the last two seasons they're pretty similar to Mkhitaryan and Kagawa's. Those numbers guarantee nothing, as we've seen.

saivet

Many of us, myself included owe Woodward a massive apology for slating him so hard in the summer.

He played brinksmanship as hard as he could, but he was also 100% correct not to pay BVB’s ridiculous demands, which they will also not get close to in any bids this January or the summer.

When Sancho does leave, the record will show that BVB made a catastrophic financial error not selling to us last summer.
I don't think he was slated much for not paying up, rather that we chased him for so long when it was clear a deal wasn't going to be agreed. We then attempted to get last a ditch deal done towards the end of the window but failed.

Agree with you regarding BVB, this looks to have backfired massively for them.

UncleBob

:lol:

It's his second best season in United..... He was a freak of nature in 07/08, not hitting the same insane heights the following season in England is hardly shocking, doesn't change the fact that he was sublime that year as well. He didn't once sulk after it became clear he was staying, so feck knows what you think you're on about

Some people really shouldn't have access to numbers.

Greck

You probably missed my point. Am talking about when Ole/the club came out with this, then their president comes out with this. Dortmund kept acting like we were trying to fleece them but saying outwardly that we were looking to exploit clubs in the corona window couldn't have made negotiations with their paranoid president easier.

Last edited:

ReddBalls

The whole Sancho debacle was just brilliant for United. Less pressure on the players actually signed this summer and an immensely improved negotiation postition when United move for Haaland next summer.

Mindhunter

Yes, I agree. I was frustrated too with the lack of urgency to sign a right-sided attacker and for needless media leaks which made it apparent that either it is Sancho or bust.

Woodward is a money man and I have no doubt he would have crunched the numbers and weighted it against several post pandemic scenarios and it wouldn't have made sense to spend so much on one player in any of them.

Mindhunter

You probably missed my point. Am talking about when Ole/the club came out with this, then their president comes out with this. Dortmund kept acting like we were trying to fleece them but saying outwardly that we were looking to exploit clubs in the corona window couldn't have made negotiations with their paranoid president easier.
My assumption is that the timeline of events is different in private conversation as opposed to how it played out in the media. I believe Dortmund privately told us that their demands are such and the deal needs to be completed by this date.

We had no intention to pay such a ridiculous amount, believed that Dortmund were willing to negotiate specially since Sancho's head was turned, and we started to put pressure through the media. So it seemed like Dortmund's stance was because of what we said in the media.

Either way, it makes zero sense to bring such a hardline view in negotiations. The my way or the highway approach is detrimental to all future negotiations too. They are going to have trouble dealing with not just us but other clubs in the future too. Their players also would be talking about it privately as I believe the majority of them see Dortmund as a stepping stone to the elite clubs in Europe. Most of them will go the Haaland route now of inserting a release clause in their contract so that someone's ego doesn't come in the way of their dream move.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
:lol: This is such a spoilt, entitled viewpoint.

Basically 'we are United and as such you will sell us any player we want for any price we want'.

The 'work around' was to meet Dortmund's demand of ~£108m, which you didn't do.

I can categorically confirm they won't waste any time at all 'working around' a £40m offer.

lsd

The Oracle
Is there any reason there is a Sancho thread in The Manchester United forum?

Should this be renamed the Dortmund forum now?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Did I say he's worth the money?

Did I say he hasn't been poor this season so far?

Why are you even replying my post if that's what you are arguing about? Do you read?
Thats funny because thats the whole point of this thread anyway. Everyone is on topic, you are the odd one here then. Maybe you shouldn't post here at all, or rather go back to Sancho thread if you want to discuss something totally out of topic.

pascell

And when was the last time a played scored 28 and assisted 9 in a season for us? You're clouding your judgement on what he achieved before and after those numbers. Ronaldo was also profession and motivated when playing for United hence the relationship between himself and SAF. If anything we're actually lucky we got to see him for another season and that relationship with SAF played a pivotal part in that.

Widow

:lol: This is such a spoilt, entitled viewpoint.

Basically 'we are United and as such you will sell us any player we want for any price we want'.

The 'work around' was to meet Dortmund's demand of ~£108m, which you didn't do.

I can categorically confirm they won't waste any time at all 'working around' a £40m offer.
Zoric, is that you?

£108 million was seriously over pricing him.

The dross you wrote about 'we're United bla bla bla' is nonsense! The world knew their price but the world also knew they over priced him too.

They have continued to lose revenue and now they also have a player that, by their own admission, had an agreement to be open to a deal....I'm sure with wanting over £100 million in these covid times they never really tried to get him the move.

Personally, I like him but worried about the pressure the price tag would bring

Status
Not open for further replies.