Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

lex talionis

Lingard really does deserve the stick he gets here. He focused his attention on the fukking JLingz brand rather than his football skills, which as we’ll know are highly perishable.

If you put in a good shift for f a career and now in your 30s by all means launch your next career. But football took a back seat in his mid 20s, once he nailed that new contract.

Good riddance.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
It’s a bit of a pointless comparison comparing him with Cantona. He’s played more games that RVP and Zlatan as well?

I’m not ‘justifying his presence’. Just that the amount of crap he gets is unwarranted. As a club, we have been poor over the last 7 years, and seen such a churn of players and no direction. Lingard has generally always been available and played various roles. Now we are in a position where our squad is strong enough that he’s not in the first team. That’s good news, and there’s no need to be so dramatic towards him with such hostility.

I’m sure you celebrated the goal he scored in the FA Cup final.
The big mistake the club made was to give him a long contract on high wages, mainly because he scored that goal - proved a very expensive goal and not just in terms of money . Of course I celebrated it, but then I did when Lee Martin scored against Palace in 1990 , doesn't mean I want him to be in the side now, nor does Lingard scoring the Cup Final winner justify him being in the squad now four years later, and his only real contribution to the club since was a couple of brief spells of form which always seem to fall in December .

If he hadn't scored that goal his future career would have been vastly different and I don't see any PL club coming in for him now. I don't support individual players , I support Manchester United, it looks like we're finally moving away from the bad decisions of the past few years .

The big mistake the club made was to give him a long contract on high wages, mainly because he scored that goal - proved a very expensive goal and not just in terms of money . Of course I celebrated it, but then I did when Lee Martin scored against Palace in 1990 , doesn't mean I want him to be in the side now, nor does Lingard scoring the Cup Final winner justify him being in the squad now four years later, and his only real contribution to the club since was a couple of brief spells of form which always seem to fall in December .

If he hadn't scored that goal his future career would have been vastly different and I don't see any PL club coming in for him now. I don't support individual players , I support Manchester United, it looks like we're finally moving away from the bad decisions of the past few years .
There are very few people arguing he should be in the team, and I’m not one of them, nor am I any type of fanboy.

However, it’s not his fault that our midfield and attack has been so poor that he’s played so often, and under 3 different managers.

He’s more than good enough to have a good PL career when he moves on.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I’m sure the forum is moving onto Maguire already.

To be clear, there is definitely an anti-English undercurrent on this forum.
What?

People aren't complaining about Lingard because he's English, but because he's nowhere near United standard and quality as a player and yet for years he's taking nice money home doing nothing. No matter how much he loves United, is great person outside the pitch and does charity work, he's subpar when it comes to playing for United and should've been shipped some time ago.

Maguire did get some over the top criticism, maybe because of his fee so people expect him to be perfect on the pitch. But it doesn't have anything with him being English.

People like Henderson, call for him to replace De Gea, Martial already has competiton in forums favorite young player Greenwod, everyone is drooling on prospect of Sancho joining, Wan Bissaka can't get enough praises for his displays and when you look at deadwood thread, most names are Pereira, Sanchez, Rojo, Mata and Lingard, Jones. Also Pogba, Baily, Fred and Matic were all heavily criticised during some time of their United carrer, not like other players are immune to the over the top criticism.

Being shit player doesn't have anything with nationality, either your good enough or aren't, and Lingard sadly isn't.

Leif Dalen

Supports
Tromso IL
Don’t like to talk bad about a player under contract with us, but after the video and clothing focus, lack of goals and creativity I think it is time to go.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
What?

People aren't complaining about Lingard because he's English, but because he's nowhere near United standard and quality as a player and yet for years he's taking nice money home doing nothing. No matter how much he loves United, is great person outside the pitch and does charity work, he's subpar when it comes to playing for United and should've been shipped some time ago.

Maguire did get some over the top criticism, maybe because of his fee so people expect him to be perfect on the pitch. But it doesn't have anything with him being English.

People like Henderson, call for him to replace De Gea, Martial already has competiton in forums favorite young player Greenwod, everyone is drooling on prospect of Sancho joining, Wan Bissaka can't get enough praises for his displays and when you look at deadwood thread, most names are Pereira, Sanchez, Rojo, Mata and Lingard, Jones. Also Pogba, Baily, Fred and Matic were all heavily criticised during some time of their United carrer, not like other players are immune to the over the top criticism.

Being shit player doesn't have anything with nationality, either your good enough or aren't, and Lingard sadly isn't.
There's only one poster in this thread trying to make all this about nationalism, and he talks about a "undercurrent" which clearly is on his imagination, or more probably he takes offense if we don't praise players whose only merit is being born in the "right" country.

Ah these people are so boring, so let's just keep this thread about football and going back to the consensus that Lingard is just a bit sh*t at football and thats why we want him gone

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
My view on him also. Seems like a great guy around the dressing room and is a genuine fan of the club. But he's not been able to get anything going the last couple seasons other than flashes. Needs a new environment to see if he can recapture something. He'll probably try to stay in England if he's still looking after his siblings.
I hope he gets his career on track, he’s a very decent player but will need to pick his next club carefully....he’d do well at Arsenal, be funny though because he’s haunted them for years.

There's only one poster in this thread trying to make all this about nationalism, and he talks about a "undercurrent" which clearly is on his imagination, or more probably he takes offense if we don't praise players whose only merit is being born in the "right" country.

Ah these people are so boring, so let's just keep this thread about football and going back to the consensus that Lingard is just a bit sh*t at football and thats why we want him gone
Better if you just tag me.

It’s not about this thread per se, but it’s clear to see. It’s seen whenever England play, and whenever there is talk of buying players.

If you you want to try and turn it on me as being xenophobic, then you are completely out of order.

It’s not about whether Lingard is good enough or not, there is consensus that he’s not. But that’s not his fault, that’s because we didn’t have better players than him, and the abuse he’s gets is out of order.

Robbie Boy

It’s not about this thread per se, but it’s clear to see. It’s seen whenever England play, and whenever there is talk of buying players.

If you you want to try and turn it on me as being xenophobic, then you are completely out of order.

It’s not about whether Lingard is good enough or not, there is consensus that he’s not. But that’s not his fault, that’s because we didn’t have better players than him, and the abuse he’s gets is out of order.
You're kind of making things up to suit a narrative that clearly isn't there. Two of the most hyped players currently on this forum are Sancho and Greenwood. Take a guess what nationality they are?

Lingard threads always have a tendency to descend into farcical territory. Some are so desperate to defend him - and they know they can't defend his performances - so they start with the hate rhetoric and other such nonsense like your anti-English rhetoric. There's zero evidence of what you have suggested and making unsubstantiated claims to defend him is a very poor tactic. If you think he should stay, at least try keep things on track and state your reasons; maybe bring some stats to the table as to why we should keep an attacking player who doesn't do what he's paid to do. Sometimes players aren't good enough it's that simple. There's not a long list of underlying reasons why people want him gone and it's not all some big forum conspiracy.

You're kind of making things up to suit a narrative that clearly isn't there. Two of the most hyped players currently on this forum are Sancho and Greenwood. Take a guess what nationality they are?

Lingard threads always have a tendency to descend into farcical territory. Some are so desperate to defend him - and they know they can't defend his performances - so they start with the hate rhetoric and other such nonsense like your anti-English rhetoric. There's zero evidence of what you have suggested and making unsubstantiated claims to defend him is a very poor tactic. If you think he should stay, at least try keep things on track and state your reasons; maybe bring some stats to the table as to why we should keep an attacking player who doesn't do what he's paid to do. Sometimes players aren't good enough it's that simple. There's not a long list of underlying reasons why people want him gone and it's not all some big forum conspiracy.
Show me where I’ve said he should stay?

I am however very much defending him from the abuse he gets. None of what I have said is new.

crossy1686

career ending

I think the players who get stick are soft targets, Lingard, Jones, Pogba, and Rashford have all got stick over the last year. A lot of our players are English but it doesn't mean there is an anti English undercurrent. For some reason, some people on here think that buying English players in the market makes us Burnley, and if we're not buying German, French or Spanish we're behind the times, but that's absolute bollocks as we know.

The bottom line is, even if Lingard and Jones were Irish, Welsh, Spanish, or even Iranian, they're not good enough to play for United, and for someone who has 0 goals and assists in the last year, Lingard spends time practicing his goal celebrations... let that sink and ask yourself if people are being unfair.

Red00012

I’m sure once Lingard goes, we will move into the next English player that the non match going ‘fans’ will move onto.
1 Young
2 Lingard
3 ?????

I’ll go with James or Pereira , I don’t think Jones will be (A) not playing or hopefully (B) not here so he can’t be abused

by the way it’s not an anti English thing

Robbie Boy

Show me where I’ve said he should stay?

I am however very much defending him from the abuse he gets. None of what I have said is new.
Sorry, I didn't word that very well, I meant 'you' in a broader term. As in, instead of people - like you - rushing in to make out it's all about hate or an anti-English sentiment, actually come in and explain why you want him to stay. If you don't want him stay, that's fair enough.

If you want to defend the perceived abuse agsinst him then tackle it head on and quote those particular posters. Coming in making sweeping statements with unsubstantiated claims isn't going to go down too well. If you have evidence against certain posters with an anti-English sentiment, again it would be better to tackle those posters head on as it's a sweeping statement and not something I've ever noticed on the forum in my ten plus years here.

Fact is, he is nowhere near good enough and should be sold. That's all I'm seeing people saying. If the very small minority are abusing him, then report them or tackle their abusive posts.

Ace of Spades

He has not been offered a new contract, he is not even on the bench and he has barely been getting any minutes. He is almost certainly one of the candidates to be sold.

That being said, no need to bash a player that is not even playing and probably being sold.

Prodigal7

I’m sure the forum is moving onto Maguire already.

To be clear, there is definitely an anti-English undercurrent on this forum.
Because people think Lingard is shit or Maguire has been playing shit?
what amazes me is how everyone is just assuming that this new CB we’re looking to sign is to replace Lindelof when he’s clearly been the superior defender.

Theres clearly an English superiority complex here and that ain’t going anywhere

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think the 3 of them should be replaced with Sancho and Grealish in all honesty. I wish them all well in the future and thank them for their service but it's time to move on.
We would probably be happy to keep one of them just to keep squad numbers. Most likely Pereira since he's the youngest, lowest wage and probably the best performing this season (although Mata has stepped up since we signed Bruno). Depends if he's happy staying here just as a squad option or not. I reckon he might be happy to do that for a season or two, before moving on to get game time elsewhere.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Don’t like to talk bad about a player under contract with us, but after the video and clothing focus, lack of goals and creativity I think it is time to go.
Well you're just not going to fit in at all around here. :p

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We would probably be happy to keep one of them just to keep squad numbers. Most likely Pereira since he's the youngest, lowest wage and probably the best performing this season (although Mata has stepped up since we signed Bruno). Depends if he's happy staying here just as a squad option or not. I reckon he might be happy to do that for a season or two, before moving on to get game time elsewhere.
Should be Mata IMO.

Doesn't have the legs but still has the quality so putting mobile players around him negates the impact of his lack of it. As you said he's stepped up since Bruno came and in a working system with in form players I think he can definitely be an asset. Something that'll only be bolstered by the likes of Sancho and Grealish coming in.

Pereira is just shite and there's no getting round it, same with Lingard.

Robbie Boy

Not sure why people keep mentioning Everton and Newcastle as possible destinations. There's zero chance of either of those wanting him tbh.

Everton have enough grossly underperforming attacking players like Sigurdsson and Walcott and grafters with little end product like Iwobi and Bernard. Lingard would literally be the last player they would need. Newcastle are soon to be loaded and possibly hiring Poch. They will want to make some semi-statement signings and Lingard doesn't fit that bill at all.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Everton, WHU or Newcastle could easily benefit from buying him. He’d also likely take a wage cut to get a move. Then again, his agent is now Mino so he could even get him a raise I suppose.

That said, I think he’d be best served moving overseas. Go to a less physical league and also, more importantly, one with whose fans he has a clean slate.
How would those teams benefit from a player thats has one assist and one goal in like two freaking years?

I think we are understimating those teams, theyre not stupid. I think our only option will be to let his contract run out and let him go free next summer once it expires.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
There are very few people arguing he should be in the team, and I’m not one of them, nor am I any type of fanboy.

However, it’s not his fault that our midfield and attack has been so poor that he’s played so often, and under 3 different managers.

He’s more than good enough to have a good PL career when he moves on.
So we bring in a player who can actually play football and basically with the same midfield and attack we look a completely different team. Why I call him the Move Destroyer.

Don't see a team which he would improve and who is going to pay a fee or pay his wages. It would have to be on a free and a massive reduction in wages and on their bench . Hope Raiola can find a gullible team in Italy or China.

Big United mistake which was stated at the time of his last contract.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Ole has a ruthless track record with getting rid of deadwood. If they don’t make the match day squad, they’re gone. He’s clearly not seeing anything worthy in training. Look at Andreas, he’s taken up COD warzone as his full time profession now. Has been lashing out on twitter at fans

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I'm sure match going fans NEVER abuse any players or criticize them, they are angels who are never wrong, a few tiers above the rest of us.
There should be a United 2 team for them, still managed by Moyes with Fellaini and Lingard in midfield

MadDogg

Should be Mata IMO.

Doesn't have the legs but still has the quality so putting mobile players around him negates the impact of his lack of it. As you said he's stepped up since Bruno came and in a working system with in form players I think he can definitely be an asset. Something that'll only be bolstered by the likes of Sancho and Grealish coming in.

Pereira is just shite and there's no getting round it, same with Lingard.
Pereira the central midfielder is shit. But when he was playing in a more attacking position (#10 or right wing) he was significantly better than both Mata and Lingard this season.There's a reason he spent two months as undisputed first choice out of the three of them in the early months of the season, and our performances (both by the eye and statistically) were much better with him. It's a bit unfair to Pereira that injuries meant that he had to be dropped back to central midfield where he was obviously terrible, and those terrible performances seem to be what everyone remembers. Doesn't help that he's mostly been played in central midfield ever since though.

Shark

@NotShark
Pereira the central midfielder is shit. But when he was playing in a more attacking position (#10 or right wing) he was significantly better than both Mata and Lingard this season.There's a reason he spent two months as undisputed first choice out of the three of them in the early months of the season, and our performances (both by the eye and statistically) were much better with him. It's a bit unfair to Pereira that injuries meant that he had to be dropped back to central midfield where he was obviously terrible, and those terrible performances seem to be what everyone remembers. Doesn't help that he's mostly been played in central midfield ever since though.
Give us a standout Pereira performance not we're not quite remembering.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
A couple of years ago I was quite impressed with Lingard. But he has been really disappointing. Both his attitude and performance.
I believe he is Already 27 and so not a youngster.

Maybe best for him to move away from Manchester and get his head down and work at his game.

midnightmare

How would those teams benefit from a player thats has one assist and one goal in like two freaking years?

I think we are understimating those teams, theyre not stupid. I think our only option will be to let his contract run out and let him go free next summer once it expires.
Again you’re assuming that this is Jesse Lingard’s actual peak output. The evidence says it’s not. He’s just reached a point where he’ll never recover confidence and form for us like the stuff that saw him earn his place (yes, earn) in the team that won the FAC, EL etc. and also a ticket to the World Cup.

It wasn’t just the odd performance at the time. Again, I stress, even that peak of his should not be good enough for Man United. Not if we’re striving to get to the top. But, for a number of smaller clubs, that would offer a big upgrade on what they have. I really don’t think it’s that tough to understand.

Not even like we’ve not seen examples of this. Alexis and Young at Inter, Smalling at Roma, Evans currently at Leicester. Sometimes players just need to get out of a club to recover or to find a place where they’re not “below the required standards.

MadDogg

Give us a standout Pereira performance not we're not quite remembering.
I mean, there's a difference between 'being a standout' and 'being better than Mata and Lingard'. It's more that he was average with a few poor and a few good matches. Meanwhile they were both almost exclusively poor. Mata has now had a few good matches as well since Bruno came in and made things a lot easier for him, but that doesn't change the fact that he was almost as bad as Lingard for the first half of the season. Bearing that in mind I would be interested to see how Pereira goes in an attacking area now that Bruno has joined, as I'm pretty sure he hasn't actually played with him. He might also step up further like what Mata has. Or he might not.

Shark

@NotShark
I mean, there's a difference between 'being a standout' and 'being better than Mata and Lingard'. It's more that he was average with a few poor and a few good matches. Meanwhile they were both almost exclusively poor. Mata has now had a few good matches as well since Bruno came in and made things a lot easier for him, but that doesn't change the fact that he was almost as bad as Lingard for the first half of the season. Bearing that in mind I would be interested to see how Pereira goes in an attacking area now that Bruno has joined, as I'm pretty sure he hasn't actually played with him. He might also step up further like what Mata has. Or he might not.
The fact that you can't name a single standout game is evidence enough that he's not good enough and neither are Lingard and Mata. What you may consider good matches seems to be wide off the mark of what I expect a squad player at United to be. All three of them need to he sold imo, because using the "better than Mata and Lingard" excuse, not as if that's even true, is bonkers. They're all just a different shade of shite in my eyes.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Mata at least has a few assists to his name, does Pereira?

We know Mata has quality albeit his physical capabilities are waning whereas we're still waiting to see if Pereira has any.