Is Lingard as good as gone? | Contract extended by one year

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
The fact that you can't name a single standout game is evidence enough that he's not good enough and neither are Lingard and Mata. What you may consider good matches seems to be wide off the mark of what I expect a squad player at United to be. All three of them need to he sold imo, because using the "better than Mata and Lingard" excuse, not as if that's even true, is bonkers. They're all just a different shade of shite in my eyes.
The 'standout game' thing is as much my shit memory as anything else, as I don't remember individual games like that. I couldn't tell you which games Rashford was a standout in either.

We might sell all three of them, but personally I expect we'll want to keep one as an emergency backup, at least for one season as our youngsters and new players bed in further. Pereira is the youngest, lowest wage and performed the best this season, so it makes sense that it's him.

Mata at least has a few assists to his name, does Pereira?

We know Mata has quality albeit his physical capabilities are waning whereas we're still waiting to see if Pereira has any.
Mata has two assists in the league this season. Pereira has one goal and three assists.

Dash247

He should be gone. Ashley Young according to me was better eventhough he's atleast good 7-8 years older than him. He wants to create a brand? Like wth. You are no Becks or CR7, its funny if you do it without putting in actual performances. He should be playing in teams from bottom half if not championship. I dont mean to be too harsh but thats the reality.

Stadjer

He was a starter at the last World Cup for a team that got to the semifinal. That might explain why the Dutch have never heard of him.
He was also part of the England team that got beaten by the Dutch during the nations league not that long ago...

JMack1234

He should be gone.

I've nothing against Lingard but it's a waste of time keeping him here. He's 3rd choice in any of his positions now and it's time to part ways.

Fussball13251

Wow, as a United fan who's hardly missed a game for thirty years, I dislike the player Jesse Lingard for his performances, and your answer is that I should hate myself?

These people are strange. We don't hare somebody we we not know. Thai is about football and winning matches. He's been very poor for well over a year now. He wouldn't even make it into most Scottish teams. The way that he plays now no Championship team would interested in him.

LDUred

Still could be useful cover and he demonstrated yesterday that he can deputise, but at this stage of his career he should be starting games, scoring goals, and assisting.

He's has got stuck in the rut unfortunately and it would probably be better for him to seek a move to a mid-ranking Prem side.

I do sometimes wonder if he reached an Anderson-style comfort zone where he's content to have any kind of role as long as he stays at the club. It's a bit sad to see how average his contributions have become. He has shown in the past that he's capable of contributing but those times are too long gone to have any relevance to the present.

Paul_Scholes18

He had a few decent games earlier this season. Not scoring, but producing for the team and having an impact from the bench.
Now he is not doing much at all. Was fine yesterday, but you never feel like he is going to produce anything.
Confidence is all gone and he looks slower.

Web of Bissaka

Oh well, this thread is fun while it lasts.

I can see Lingard staying and even won himself a contract extension in the future.

^ I mean, I won't complain if he's back to his 2016 to 2017 forms -- the hungry young Lingard wanting to prove himself, and Lingod.
But not this Lingard that can only do "the job". Not him. No.

Foxbatt

20 million for Lingard? No one is going to pay for him that much.

Roane

For me the problem isn't players like Lingard it's who is ahead of them.

What I mean is that if Lingard was third choice in his position and was happy to play that role then we need him.

Our problem is that he was first choice for a long time and is clearly not good enough.

What we need is a top first teamer with a very good back up and then you have your Lingard types. Give them runs in league cup early stages etc

red4ever 79

He has hardly played in the past two months, not even making the bench. It will be the same next season (if) he stays. Imagine if we sign Sancho in the summer, his options will be limited. Midfield Bruno>Pogba>Matic>Scott>Mctom Forwards Rashford>Martial>Greenwood>Sancho>James

I think he will be sold. Ducker also said we were prepared to listen to offers for him

Water Melon

Not good enough to play for the club, not going to sign for any top European club. On fairly high wages with little to no end product in the last couple of seasons. His unpopularity has feck all to do with him being English.

pav1790

Lingard might flourish under lesser burden and with lesser limelight. His problem is focus. At another club, he might do quite well. Premier league is littered with our academy graduates Who couldn’t cut it here, even in our waning years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If we sell him to a Premier League club we might, if Newcastle wanted £50m for the lesser talented Longstaff brother, if West Ham want £80m + for Rice, if Villa want £90m for Grealish .....
No one paid or is going to pay those figures.
We can put a £45m price tag if want, we won't sell.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I looked at the time of post and thought you must have just got in from a night out.

Id love us to get anywhere near that, stats don't lie unfortunately.
Why would I go for a night out when I can have a better night staying in. And then there's the Social Distancing going out the window once everybody has had a few shandy's, no thanks