Is Mou still 'The Special One' for you all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stepic

Of course he is.

Honestly, some people's opinions are just shit. Sacking one of the best managers in the world after one season, what a joke of an idea. He needs more time to build his squad. It will happen. The lack of patience from some people is ridiculous.

LLMU

In 3/4 season, i have found that watching United is more entertaining than in the last 3 seasons. Yes, we missed lots and lots of chances and we can't break down teams that camp around their penalty but the chances we created and also the way there is a swagger around the team makes it easier to watch. We need another summer of activities to make this team better. I will give him 3 seasons to transform us into another force.

WhoDaGOAT

No. He lost something during his time at Madrid and has been a broken man ever since.

It's normal for a manager to have peak years during their managerial career. The game is constantly evolving and new ideas become the trend. Some adapt or evolve, while others get left behind.

Fridge chutney

Normal one, special one, fancy one, it doesn't really matter. He's just a manager.

I think it would be daft to get rid of him now. To continue chopping and changing the squad and managers, that is not helpful. It is disruptive and sets us back. Although with Moyes and LVG it was probably necessary.

Jose is more likely than anyone to succeed with us. It's important to stick with him.

pascell

You're not thinking hard enough then, I can think of 5 times he did it to Nani alone. Did it with Rooney in his last season etc.

Also you don't have to love a manager, but the least everyone can do is show him some patience and respect. He's improved our football tenfold albiet the results still aren't there, but he's getting there. I'm more confident than I ever was since SAF left.
The biggest one was his court battle with the previous owners about the racehorse. Club owners and club manager battling it out in court against each other, worst it can get surely.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yes.

Imagine LVG with this squad in this year's Premier League?

Christ...
Every year THIS year's PL is supposed to be something special. It's what they said last season too. Btw LVG nearly got 4th with this squad minus Ibra, Bailey, Mkhitarian and Pogba so I don't see why he would have had us in 12th with them.

MarchingOn

Every year THIS year's PL is supposed to be something special. It's what they said last season too. Btw LVG nearly got 4th with this squad minus Ibra, Bailey, Mkhitarian and Pogba so I don't see why he would have had us in 12th with them.
Uh, what? Are you denying the diffence is competitiveness between this season and last season? Leicester won the league!!! Come to find out... they're shit!

Womp

idiot
We came 5th in a season where Chelsea were 10th and Leicester won the league pal.

manutddjw

I have faith in him and have no doubts he'll win us trophies. Having said that, I'm pretty sure we're going to be successful playing awful football with boring grafting players.

Reason I say that and what separates him from an undisputed "special one" like Sir Alex is his failure to realize that not all players are the same. Some will respond to being slagged off in public, while others need an arm around them and reinforcement. He needs his type of personalities, while Sir Alex for example could manage an eccentric Cantona, a stubborn Keane, a trouble making Ince and a Beckham.

WhoDaGOAT

We came 5th in a season where Chelsea were 10th and Leicester won the league pal.
Doesn't really matter. Chelsea and Leicester have swapped places this season, but our other rivals are more or less in the same position they were. Except Liverpool. West Brom are last season's West Ham.

Womp

idiot
Doesn't really matter. Chelsea and Leicester have swapped places this season, but our other rivals are more or less in the same position they were. Except Liverpool. West Brom are last season's West Ham.
After all of them having spent 100+m, shows that the league is much more difficult.

amolbhatia50k

Uh, what? Are you denying the diffence is competitiveness between this season and last season? Leicester won the league!!! Come to find out... they're shit!
The top team is much better this season than it was the last. The rest of the top 4 have improved somewhat but are no great shakes. Our squad has improved every bit as much as theirs if not more. In fact rewind to the summer and everyone would claim that we had the best summer of the chasing pack but it hasn't shown in the results.

amolbhatia50k

After all of them having spent 100+m, shows that the league is much more difficult.
Except we've only spent even more than that. In fact, Spurs have maintained their superiority over us and Liverpool are ahead of us despite spending less.

Womp

idiot
Except we've only spent even more than that. In fact, Spurs have maintained their superiority over us and Liverpool are ahead of us despite spending less.
It's also our manager's first season in charge. Superior is also a funny term considering we've already won one more trophy than they will this season, with a big possibility to win the Europa too. Liverpool are also only 6 points ahead with 2 games in hand, so they're hardly "superior" to us in the league either

amolbhatia50k

It's also our manager's first season in charge. Superior is also a funny term considering we've already won one more trophy than they will this season, with a big possibility to win the Europa too. Liverpool are also only 6 points ahead with 2 games in hand, so they're hardly "superior" to us in the league either
That trophy was the league cup. Spurs are playing better football than us and are the only team putting up a semi challenge for the league.

Either way the point is that saying this league is so much better than the league LVG competed in is pointless given we've spent a fortune in the summer too.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Well, someone will be satisfied when we finish 6th and miss out on CL...again. One more trophy than Spurs, Yay!

Womp

idiot
That trophy was the league cup. Spurs are playing better football than us and are the only team putting up a semi challenge for the league.

Either way the point is that saying this league is so much better than the league LVG competed in is pointless given we've spent a fortune in the summer too.
How well Spurs play football doesn't mean shite if they aren't winning nothing. There is no challenge for the league, Chelsea have won it, they have one difficult game left against City which I wouldn't put it past them to win.

Also as you've said, it's all relative, it's increased in difficulty and we've gotten better, but it's Jose's first season which needs to be taken into consideration.

Womp

idiot
Well, someone will be satisfied when we finish 6th and miss out on CL...again. One more trophy than Spurs, Yay!
Winning the Europa league qualifies you for the CL pal. You know that competition we are in the latter stages in, the same competition the beautiful football playing Spurs got knocked out by Genk/t in. Yep that one. I'd also take trophies over winning nothing any day of the week. Continue being petty though, I'm getting genuine amusement out of you not being able to respond to any of my prior responses to you, instead picking out completely new posts that don't even involve you directly.

Lets play good football but have nothing to show for it, instead of actually winning a trophy and having a good shot at another one! Yay!

Last edited:

OohAahMartial

Jose's signings have done a lot better than LVG's signings. Its the latters signings that have totally let us down this season and the reliance on players who are past it and kids who aren't really ready or consistent. Let him finish his rebuild and then judge. I don't think we can win the league next season as there are so many players that need to leave and to be bought that it will take two more Summers to reach Chelsea's level. But if he keeps buying well we will get back to the top.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm frustrated at out players, not Mourinho. He's gotten them into shape and performing as a team for the first time since SAF and that's while playing the most games. It's remarkable the number of draws we've made considering we could and should have won almost every single one of them had we finished our chances as well as our opponent each time.

The base has been laid out by him now. We're having to rotate a lot but still remain consistent at the back. We create chances every game, a lot more than we did under LvG. We're competing for every trophy there is, not losing to the likes of MK Dons. We're signing big players, not contending with Fellaini or has beens.

The league is tough this year and will only get tougher. There are 4 other managers in contention that have won the league. One has multiple CL medals and some others have played a final there as well.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Having spent the most money, we've arguably shown the least improvement.
City spent more. Chelsea have spent well over 100m as well and whilst Arsenal have spent 100m they've also not been rebuilding their squad.

No improvement? We can finish the season with a top 4 finish and 2 cups.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think Jose has hit a bit of a managerial mid life crisis where he needs to reinvent himself a bit and reconnect with that touch of insanity that made him special in the first place. Once he finds that, and he will - we will be in fantastic shape. He just needs to work on squad solidarity and confidence in the final third.

amolbhatia50k

How well Spurs play football doesn't mean shite if they aren't winning nothing. There is no challenge for the league, Chelsea have won it, they have one difficult game left against City which I wouldn't put it past them to win.

Also as you've said, it's all relative, it's increased in difficulty and we've gotten better, but it's Jose's first season which needs to be taken into consideration.
How well Spurs play does mean something because they seem to have CL qualification in the bag for next season. We're still outside the top 4. Our last manager got sacked despite winning something because he didnt make top 4. So playing well and being higher up in the table is clearly important given managers get sacked on the back of it.

Yes, it's all relative. Everyone has spent so we had to improve regardless. Question is whether our improvement would ensure top 4 or better. That remains to be seen but we're outside the top 4.

Yes, it is Jose's first year but I wasn't commenting on that. That he deserves more time is obvious. And looking at LVG, first years can sometimes be better than the second one, but I'm not expecting that from Mourinho.

MDFC Manager

City spent more. Chelsea have spent well over 100m as well and whilst Arsenal have spent 100m they've also not been rebuilding their squad.

No improvement? We can finish the season with a top 4 finish and 2 cups.
Fair enough, city spent more.

I didn't say no improvement though, I said least improvement and that refers to the bolded part. Yes we're playing better than LvG, but that's not tangible enough. Not for me at least.

Red_toad

All this talk about SAF, what's funny is if he was hired today and we went through the first few years struggles people would have hounded him out before he could turn us into the global brand we are today.
Imagine a stern faced Scotsman arriving in the job, kicking out numerous fan favourites and not actually improving the side greatly for a number of seasons.
Imagine us finishing 13, there would be a total meltdown in here. Just goes to prove give a good manager time to build a team and you get long term rewards, unless it's Arsenal and he's not prepared to spend the clubs cash...

amolbhatia50k

As for Jose being special, he has a wonderful record, but you have to keep proving yourself. So I'll make a proper judgement on whether he's past his his peak or still a cut above nearly everyone, once we see where we're headed next season. He has won two league titles in the last 7 years I think? But again, the United and Chelsea jobs were both revival jobs whereas at Barca he was up against Messi and co. so it wasn't ever going to be the same as it was at Porto, Chelsea and Inter in terms of league titles, which is understandable.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fair enough, city spent more.

I didn't say no improvement though, I said least improvement and that refers to the bolded part. Yes we're playing better than LvG, but that's not tangible enough. Not for me at least.
This year vs last year is also a bit misleading because most of the top sides had below average years last year and this year they are all back in the mix, which sort of frames our results differently. Despite all the draws and woeful finishing in the final 3rd, we are still 6 points ahead of last year.

ravi2

Of course he is.

Honestly, some people's opinions are just shit. Sacking one of the best managers in the world after one season, what a joke of an idea. He needs more time to build his squad. It will happen. The lack of patience from some people is ridiculous.

This... Jose hasn't been perfect at all but to even suggest sacking him is ludicrous... And hire who exactly?
Some folks in here need their heads checked.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Not really, I dont have the feeeling our manager is better than all the others at the moment, he has a great record and a great career but similarly to LvG it looks as if his best seasons are behind him. He looks a bit depressed to me as well, I hope he can find himself again and make United great while he's at it. But such a season won't be forgiven next time; we will finish 5th and thats just not good enough with the caputal we have really, but he's building and transitioning so it's forgiven for now

PaulRich

100% behind him. IMHO its going to take a couple of transfer windows to get a Mourinho team together. We've a lot of work to do on that front.

RooneyLegend

He isn't, but then again he never has been to me. Just don't like any coach who can set out his team to try to not play the ball or even not win the game. His complaining is certainly annoying. We're Manchester United and he complains about a fixture pile up at every moment. He can't seem to get much out of our talented players. While we do create chance's we're hardly a great attacking side. I'd start prepping Tite for the job after the world cup.

RedDevil@84

Is he?

I'll admit I wasn't very enthused about having him here and actually didn't want him...but desperate times, desperate measures needed and if we did get back on track, I can admit to being wrong and join the bandwagon.

But as every game passes, I find myself losing patience. The draws are as bad as LvG but his whining about players to media annoys me even more. I can't remember of a single incident where Fergie washed his dirty linen in public. Fergie always was uber-protective of his team even after a loss he usually was harsh with the media. I hate the fact Jose is a media darling and doesn't hesitate to dangle his players out. If a player speaks out similar, I'm sure his ego will blow up and the player is apt to never play again.

I'm leaning more and more to....Feckin win or get the feck out.

I may respect Jose for if he does turn us around, but I'll never love him irrespective of success.
SAf did it with some players. You need to think harder to recollect.
The draws are not as bad as LvG. Agree West Brom match was mostly boring, but you will need to download some matches from last season to compare and decide what is actually termed boring. LvG's matches were boring as feck and the players mostly passed sideways always and then back as LvG had specifically told them not to shoot until they see a very clear opportunity. And then don't forget Rooney always played.

Agree that Jose is not a manager whom most people could fall in love with, especially when we had likeable managers like SAF and then because we hated the Jose moaning when he was at Chelsea. But as it stands, most managers would not enhance the team any better I believe. Our players (forwards and attackers) are missing simple chances that usually end up in the net. It is a really shocking kind of statistic and I think the coaches could do only a little if we cant finish an opportunity. Successful or otherwise, given the lack of options in managers who could guarantee instant success, I would be giving Jose full 3 seasons as per contract, if he continues to give us good football and improvement over a season. Agree that I ll want him out if he takes us into relegation or some freefall of that sort.

Anyways, I would agree with Jose that the era is gone where one team could dominate the league continuously. Being there and there about the top 3 will probably be the norm.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
He's still the right man for the job. Anyone saying otherwise needs to give their heads a wobble.

Some of his decisions have baffled and frustrated me. Mainly the constant moaning of fixture congestion yet the refusal to rest certain players. Ibrahimovic being undroppable is also frustrating but he clearly lacks faith in Rooney/Rashford/Martial to lead the line. And I agree with people who say he seems to have lost some of his aura which made him a formidable manager earlier in his career, certainly in the big games.

That said, he is our 3rd manager in 4 years. We cannot keep chopping and changing and letting the players get away with it. You cannot blame Mourinho for the pathetic finishing we have seen all season. He has set up a team that has consistently created chances this season, it's then the forward players' job to put the ball in the net. Our conversion rate is awful. Even Ibra, for all his plaudits, has a distinctly average conversion rate compared to other forwards in Europe.

This place is a joke though. Full of spoilt, impatient, football manager playing fans who think rebuilding a football club is a one season job after 3 years of dross. Some of you should hang your heads in shame. The same people would have called for Fergie's head long before he won his first trophy

Status
Not open for further replies.