Is Mourinho Trying To Get Himself Fired?

manunited1919

Today’s game against Southampton was one of those times that almost looks like self-sabotage. I mean, playing 5 at the back against an out of form Southampton? And to do so with McTominay & Matic as 2 of the centerbacks? Fellaini & Herrera instead of Fred and/or Pereira?

Is Mourinho
a) stubbornly defensive
b) incompetent
or
c) trying to get fired?

I rate Mourinho as one of the best coaches in the world, but for some reason, he is not producing the trophies we expected. If I were Ed, I would re-read Jose’s contract and compensation arrangements to see what’s happening.

spwd

Yes, I’ve thought this for a few months now, there can’t be any other explanation and I was glad when we got him :nervous:

remo

A, B and C - all true. One issue with your post - Mourinho used to be one of the best coaches (it's in the past now).

Ashish Negi

Today’s game against Southampton was one of those times that almost looks like self-sabotage. I mean, playing 5 at the back against an out of form Southampton? And to do so with McTominay & Matic as 2 of the centerbacks? Fellaini & Herrera instead of Fred and/or Pereira?

Is Mourinho
a) stubbornly defensive
b) incompetent
or
c) trying to get fired?

I rate Mourinho as one of the best coaches in the world, but for some reason, he is not producing the trophies we expected. If I were Ed, I would re-read Jose’s contract and compensation arrangements to see what’s happening.

This is the big issue, Jose is not coach he is man manager that's it .

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I think this season it is a legitimate possibility. I'd think to myself, it can't be because we can see how intense and passionate he is when they win, but it doesn't seem to be about the team but more about absolving his own ego. It gives him a personal relief when the team wins because he gets to show others that he's still a coach that can win even with a team he perceives as mid-table. In some ways, I can't blame him because it's not necessarily his fault that he's naturally someone who brings on attention to himself, that's just who he is; he's an egomaniac and most elite professionals have to be that in some way, especially now when every one else is doubting you.

But now the decisions he makes, the constant pressure, doubts, media, fans.....your ego will only allow you to go through that for a while, but eventually it has to be exhausting. There doesn't seem to be an end in sight, and while I don't think Mourinho is strapped for cash and so he shouldn't have an issue to call it quit, his ego won't allow it. I think he'd see it as quitting, but if he gets himself fired and makes a good chunk of cash and won't be seen as someone who quit, it wouldn't be such a bad thing and he could walk away his head held up high feeling like he did the most he could with what he had (which he would be wrong about, but that's besides the point as far as he's concerned).

Forgive me, I'm not completely sober and I will probably read back on this post and cringe a bit about my armchair psychology of a man I've never met.

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
End should help him,the signs are there that he wants to get himself fired.
This is not the first time,mourinho has gifted the opposition four points at least, against west ham and Southampton.
He should resign instead of putting himself and club's brand to ridicule

mav_9me

Should be a poll with 3 options

A) yes
B) doubt it but can't put past him
C) no

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Earlier in the season there was a period where he was stupidly trying to make a point about how we should have signed a central defender by playing the likes of Herrera and McTominay in the defence. I don't think he was actively trying to get himself fired then, but he was being an absolute idiot and the result of that was that he was close to being fired. Then Pogba and Martial saved his arse against Newcastle and things have looked better (although still not great) since then...up until the last couple of matches where it's starting to fall apart again.

Now, I don't know. I don't think he's trying to get himself fired. I also don't think he's actively trying to make a point this time. It honestly feels he just hasn't any idea anymore.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
If he is, how does he think he's going to come back from it?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
I’d imagine so. He knows he’s done in the summer and lost the dressing room months ago so would prefer to leave his hotel in time for Christmas with a massive pay off.

That’s the only positive to not sacking him.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
He needs to go now. Playing two midfielders because we have defensive injuries and are light at the back is fair enough but when we have Rojo on the bench and didnt give him any game time to get him match fit quicker is a woeful decision. We were up against Southampton and played one of our most defensive lineups to date and it backfired spectacularly. The second half was the most boring half of football ever, players had no direction, too much slow play and the sloppy touches from Pogba and Lukaku are not acceptable at this level of football. Pogba should have been hooked off and anyone else put on, even Romero in midfield would have been more effective.

Champagne Football

He's most certainly trying to get his massive pay off before heading off to the sunset. He's only ever cared about himself and that is why no one likes him. If a club doesn't bow to his every outrageous and unrealistic demands then he downs tools like a spoiled child and makes all kinds of crazy team selections to get back at the board.

The bottle rack dumping thing against Young Boys was an attempt to make it look like ge still cares.

Gordon S

No, i am sure he is not trying to be fired. Really don't think he cares about that money either.
He is trying his best to improve the team, but he is just a terrible fit for it. It is all about his ego.

You can see him moaning in the dugout. Laughing sarcastically when the players make mistakes. Constantly trying to tell everybody around him that this shit has nothing to do with him failing as a coach, it's all on the league one level players he has to work with. And the incompetent board who refused to get him new players of course. As if a new cb or winger would completely change how we defend as a team or something.

It's of course Woodward that needs to help his club now, we desperately need a change. If he's waiting for a turnaround, just like Fergie had 30 years ago, he is probably betting on the wrong horse.

Reactions: Theonas

MouChou

I remain confident that he is doing that because Perez is already waiting with open arms (and chequebook) for him to come to Madrid costfree...

A disaster result against the scouse enemy should do the job for him.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

Is Mourinho
a) stubbornly defensive
b) incompetent
or
c) trying to get fired?

It is hilarious when people are wrong, but rather then accepting and admitting they end up with far fetched explanations like this.

More than 80 percent in here supported hiring Mourinho. In my opininon a reflection of outcome bias and an indication of how little football english football supporters understands. An the english football supporters appears to be the most clueless.

Treble

The very fact that Jose might be suspected in sabotaging the team tells you all you need to know about the quality of his management.

For the record, I don't think he does it consciously. But there might be an element of trying to make a point to the board and journalists and potential suitors that he wasn't backed in the summer and that he's working with shit. He's all about ego damage management now. His problem is that his potential suitors are watching and won't be impressed with his work here.

This might be his last job at a really big club.

vidic blood & sand

He's in a dilemma. Managing Utd is damaging his reputation, but wants payout.
Tempting to keep him and show the world how shit he is unless he has all the best players.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The very fact that Jose might be suspected in sabotaging the team tells you all you need to know about the quality of his management.

For the record, I don't think he does it consciously. But there might be an element of trying to make a point to the board and journalists and potential suitors that he wasn't backed in the summer and that he's working with shit. He's all about ego damage management now. His problem is that his potential suitors are watching and won't be impressed with his work here.

This might be his last job at a really big club.
Couldn't agree more. It is him trying to stick it to Ed, not deliberately trying to wreck our season, but at the same time it is precisely what he is doing.

f_to_z

I believe its a head to head waiting game between Mourinho and Woodward.

Woodward would love it if Mourinho just feels defeated, embarrased by the football or players problems and just resigns. Save the extra compensation money.

Mourinho on the other hand is awaiting a sack to get his full package 30mil compensation. He just cant believe Woodward hasnt fired him yet.

As for the club its a loss-loss situaution. Keep Mourinho and we miss out on Champions league money and lose lots of income. So the money is gone either way why not make the right footballing decision and sack him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Unfortunately I think he is.

I said this a few years ago when he was in the same position with Chelsea: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/jose-mourinho-sack-watch.409313/page-7#post-18205257

I think he's been angling for a move for a while and that whole story of him staying for years and years... "as long as Abramovic wants me" was a bit contrived.

It reminded me of this article: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11065/7339197/the-art-of-negotiation
How players try to engineer moves away without forfeiting their right to a contract payout. As he's in year 3, it's like he's trying to engineer a move away and get Roman to pay for the expenses.
I can't find now it but I'm sure I also posted in a thread about Mourinho's "Third year" that he seems to have a proven technique of isolating the highest profile player to cause the biggest possible headache for the board.

He fell out with Terry at Chelsea in his first stint to the point where Terry went to Abramovich to get him fired.

He fell out with Ronaldo and Casillas at Real Madrid ensuring he was at war with both factions in the dressing room.

At Chelsea in his second stint he fell out with Hazard and Matic.

It's obvious now that he's checked out and is willing Woodward to sack him.

WPMUFC

Duncan Castles just ran an article throwing Jose under the bus (pogba being a virus). Castles is bought and paid for mouth piece for Jose. This is the full Chelsea Xmas meltdown beginning. He is actively trying to get sacked for the payout.

JohnnyKills

I believe its a head to head waiting game between Mourinho and Woodward.

Woodward would love it if Mourinho just feels defeated, embarrased by the football or players problems and just resigns. Save the extra compensation money.

Mourinho on the other hand is awaiting a sack to get his full package 30mil compensation. He just cant believe Woodward hasnt fired him yet.

As for the club its a loss-loss situaution. Keep Mourinho and we miss out on Champions league money and lose lots of income. So the money is gone either way why not make the right footballing decision and sack him.
Yeah was saying this back in the summer when Mourinho was launching all those bizarre rants. Woodward clearly isn't backing him - he just wants him to go. Mourinho is fanning the flames all the time to get his massive pay-off. You couldn't make it up.

Third season mode. I don't know why we as fans never listen. We were warned about dithering Dave and we were warned about the standard 3 year trajectory with Mourinho, but still we expect something different.

Crashoutcassius

I can't believe pogba strolls out around there on the wages he is on the and fee we paid for him and mourinho tells him that it isn't acceptable and that is somehow mourinho trying to get sacked.

He is asking the players to fight for top four and they are doing the opposite because they are a very weak group of players with no leaders.

Style to one side (the style isn't a fit for united, you are an idiot if you expected something different) mourinho has been able to get groups up before but these modern footballers just find it easier to have managers sacked over and over again than actually put the hard work in for the fans to try achieve something - once the title is gone they are so entitled they want the manager gone and not bother for every game the rest of the season

kps88

I see it more as a final throw of the dice than him actually trying to get sacked. He's tried the normal lineups, giving Pogba the armband etc. and it hasn't worked. Now he's in "go big or go home" mode.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Duncan Castles just ran an article throwing Jose under the bus (pogba being a virus). Castles is bought and paid for mouth piece for Jose. This is the full Chelsea Xmas meltdown beginning. He is actively trying to get sacked for the payout.
Pass the collection bucket round at the Arsenal game and they will have a big chunk towards sacking him before Christmas.

red thru&thru

I truly believe he is trying to get himself sacked. Amazing how many fans believe this, so there must be something in it.

I believe it has become a game between and Jose in terms of who blinks first. At the end of the day, the buck lies with Ed. He chose to give him an extended contract.

Kostur

海尔的老板
He really should have walked/been sacked around the Newcastle game. The former is is not happening because he's not going to lose out on the bonuses/payment that was included in his contract because Woodward is an inept dick who, for a tremendous financier that he no doubt is, cannot foresee what can happen in a year's time and what repercussions it can have, financially wise. It's sort of baffling that a man with such knowledge about finances cannot transfer it to the footballing side of... finances.

Now it's probably the board who's reluctant to fire him due to severance package but yet again I cannot believe that those would cost more than losing out on top 4 money plus potential departures of players into whom we had invested and on whose transfers we'd simply lose money. Such footballing matters as 'who'd come in for him anyway' are obviously as important (should be more important actually). But we're talking money here.

Bobski

Thought it all season. Sees what City are, not being given £300 million to spend in the Summer and has been disengaged all season.

The thing is, if we as fans have that suspicion the players must be thinking it as well, so you have a manager demanding commitment and togetherness while continually given the impression that he is not a part of the group. His behaviour in the Summer was very telling, yes he wasn't getting the targets he wanted but with a young squad on tour and an opportunity to truly work with young players and develop the squad he could not have been less enthused.

I look at some of his more bizaare team selections coming in TV games and they have felt very much like more of an attempt to score off field points than on.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yep. I started doubting that in our previous game, and now I am sure of that.

redshaw

When we finish well outside the top 4 I'm assuming there's a clause where there's little to no payoff? We hear 14 million touted if sacked now but if we finish 9th I wonder is it a few million?

If we keep Jose until the end and finish poorly it does show Ed in a better light he gave Jose a chance to show his worth. The footballing world can then see how shite Jose has done regardless of Pep and Abu Dhabi and summer targets.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I don't think so. The problem is he's out of depth with the task at hand, his tactics are a bit obsolete + his man management is weak