Is Mourinho Trying To Get Himself Fired?

sugar_kane

Scenario:

1. Employee gets sacked without severance in May if football club finishes outside top 4 - something that almost certainly will happen

2. Employee gets 8 figure pay out if he can get himself sacked sooner

3. Employee is a shit house who seemingly doesn’t care about anyone but himself

What is the most likely outcome?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Does he not get compensated/pay-off if the club mathematically fail to get top 4?
It's a huge neon sign saying that the board wants to spend as little as possible, same thing going for managers who are out of contract, it's the reason why I don't think we'll even go for Poch.

Roboc7

He’s out of ideas and knows he is finished, just wants to make sure he absolves himself of any blame now.

Judas

Open to offers
He just wants everyone to be blamed and not him, I don't know if he wants to be fired, he just doesn't want to look like the reason we're pathetically bad.

Greck

Actually believe this is his idea of fighting for his job.

POF

I think the complete opposite. He has been much more animated on the touchline in the last 2 games. It seems like he is under more pressure and he's desperate for results. Unfortunately, that may be the reason Pogba is phoning it in.

The moment that shocked me most was Jose's reaction to Rashford's corner that hit the first man. He's been doing this for years yet Jose still lets him take corners. He only has himself to blame.

Devil81

I believe its a head to head waiting game between Mourinho and Woodward.

Woodward would love it if Mourinho just feels defeated, embarrased by the football or players problems and just resigns. Save the extra compensation money.

Mourinho on the other hand is awaiting a sack to get his full package 30mil compensation. He just cant believe Woodward hasnt fired him yet.

As for the club its a loss-loss situaution. Keep Mourinho and we miss out on Champions league money and lose lots of income. So the money is gone either way why not make the right footballing decision and sack him.

Mourinho wouldn't walk away from a payoff, he's too stubborn for that.

He's completely lost the plot now though, he'd happily accept the payoff tomorrow if it was offered. I'm pretty sure he will have some sort of clause that doesn't allow him to talk about the club but he'd no doubt lay all the mistakes at the feet of the United board, which would be joke considering his signings.

That being said he won two trophies and got us to an FA Cup final, that's more success than Klopp has had during the same period of time.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He has a compulsive self destructive personality.

United Pro

I think the Spurs game where he played Herrera as a CB when we had other fit CB's was another case where Mourinho appeared to be making a statement rather than focusing on the result.

Ban

He has a compulsive self destructive personality.
Let's not go with diagnosis,please.

I don't think he is, he's just losing grip over the situation and is getting more and more frustrated, thus resulting in club being in a complete disarray.

iKeano

Correction OP, he WAS one of the greatest coaches of the game.
Same as Michael Jordan WAS the greatest basketball player of all time.
Same as Carl Lewis WAS the fastest man on the planet.

Time moves on, things change - except José and his tactics.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to get sacked. I have a feeling he's going to sling serious shit at Man Utd once this sorry saga is over and he's lining up his excuse rolodex every single day.

He won't walk though, I can't wait until he's sacked. Toxic toxic man.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Under normal circumstances, the notion that a football manager would actively attempt to get himself sacked seems inconceivable, but let's face it, the circumstances are far from normal. Jose clearly doesn't rate the squad at all, doesn't feel as if he has been backed sufficiently by the board and he stands to be well compensated in the event of his sacking.

Some of his decision-making this season has been nothing short of scandalous; from his harsh treatment of certain players to the constant digs at both the board and the club in general, the ridiculous lineups and formations that would appear alien to the players and the overuse of specific players irrespective of their form.

I don't know if he is trying to get himself sacked but I wouldn't put it past him given the nature of the man. The fact that his performance to date has been so bad that people are genuinely questioning his integrity speaks volumes in itself.

RedB4ndiT

Mourinho used to be one of the best coaches (it's in the past now).
Don't forget that Mourinho only won the league because the next best manager in the prem then was Wenger. With TRUE great managers like Pep and Klopp around, Mou's being found out.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Let's not go with diagnosis,please.

I don't think he is, he's just losing grip over the situation and is getting more and more frustrated, thus resulting in club being in a complete disarray.
Something broke at Madrid.

He was not like this before. He used to fight everyone but for the people in his club. Then the Madrid circus happened. His fallouts there were legendary.

minoo-utd

He dosen't give a shit now it seems. He started to moan even before the season kicks in. Attacking players and the board at every chance.fail.

Acquire Me

He will probably not resign, so he has to be fired. That said, I dont think he wants to get fired.

LingiBW

Maybe Jose is mentally unstable. The club should try book him a session with a psychiatrist to check if all fuses are in place. A normal man shouldn't be making the decisions he is making.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The summer sealed our fate. We were already miles behind City, but failed to target and secure the right players. We either needed to back Jose's judgement on that, or let him go and let another manager have a go.

Instead, we've wasted a season, and still have to endure a painful last 3-4months until top 4 is miserably missed. Early Feb is probably when it'll be "secured"

el3mel

Yes he's.

It's clear to anyone. He has given up on United. He doesn't care about us anymore. His selections are bizarrely shite, so shite that it's unreal any big managers will do such mistakes. His reactions after losses are indifferent and not caring much. He has been checked out mentally from the club since summer and wants his pay out being paid and to leave.

It's up to our incompetent CEO to sack him now or wait for the miserable route to go on just to avoid paying this 20m.

Chairman Steve

The fact the Pogba virus story came out, and then people quickly correlated it with very similar stories at previous clubs speak volumes.

I’d say it’s his playbook to get sacked and get paid out. He definitely won’t be here next season but at the moment the longer we leave it, the more stupid we look

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Correction OP, he WAS one of the greatest coaches of the game.
Same as Michael Jordan WAS the greatest basketball player of all time.
Same as Carl Lewis WAS the fastest man on the planet.

Time moves on, things change - except José and his tactics.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to get sacked. I have a feeling he's going to sling serious shit at Man Utd once this sorry saga is over and he's lining up his excuse rolodex every single day.

He won't walk though, I can't wait until he's sacked. Toxic toxic man.
MJ is still the GOAT

Josep Dowling

In no other line of work would being rubbish at your job earns you more money than being successful.

Why can’t they put a clause in a manager’s contract that limits the payout due on sacking? Surely it isn’t that difficult.

And why did Woodward give the manager an extension on is contract in February. You would have thought he had learnt his lesson after giving Moyes 6 years.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He really should have walked/been sacked around the Newcastle game. The former is is not happening because he's not going to lose out on the bonuses/payment that was included in his contract because Woodward is an inept dick who, for a tremendous financier that he no doubt is, cannot foresee what can happen in a year's time and what repercussions it can have, financially wise. It's sort of baffling that a man with such knowledge about finances cannot transfer it to the footballing side of... finances.

Now it's probably the board who's reluctant to fire him due to severance package but yet again I cannot believe that those would cost more than losing out on top 4 money plus potential departures of players into whom we had invested and on whose transfers we'd simply lose money. Such footballing matters as 'who'd come in for him anyway' are obviously as important (should be more important actually). But we're talking money here.
The whole of this is what I've been bothered about, endlessly in this whole debacle. How shortsighted are our higher ups that they don't see that Mourinho's pay off is much less costly than all the things you've outlined. It actually blows my mind that they are this inept. It's worrying for us as club in terms of the footballing side of things.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The whole of this is what I've been bothered about, endlessly in this whole debacle. How shortsighted are our higher ups that they don't see that Mourinho's pay off is much less costly than all the things you've outlined. It actually blows my mind that they are this inept. It's worrying for us as club in terms of the footballing side of things.
Yup, and even though he should walk, it won't fix much for us no matter who we get in. It will be a short term fix, a year perhaps of better football, perhaps some minor trophy but we'll find ourselves asking the same shit in two-three years time, just like we have been after Moyes or LVG.

BigRon1985

What I don’t understand was this was his dream job - the job he coveted all his life? He’s certainly doing his best to blow it big time - but why?

Theonas

Scout
What I don’t understand was this was his dream job - the job he coveted all his life? He’s certainly doing his best to blow it big time - but why?
I don't know why this keeps being repeated. It was obviously an attractive proposition to manage us as 1) we are the only elite club that allows managers almost total control and 2) being the man to revive us after Fergie is as big an ego boost as any manager can hope for. But dream job? It would be really unrealistic and strange for any manager to have that.

Canagel

Yes
He picked a line up he knew full well wouldn't win that game . Or at the very least it's going to struggle. I already had nightmares of West Ham game when I saw the line up.
Subbing Rashford off who was our best player instead of taking off one of the 4 defensive midfield when we needed a goal confirmed it to me . Mata and Fred didn't make it onto the pitch and this man even said Fred was bought to be the link between midfield and attack . If hes not happy with Pogba and the "continuity" is not there in midfield like he claimed why was no attempt made to change that?

Morpheus 7

Yeah, I think he's only here out of some professional pride. I've never felt he embraced the club. The man lives in a hotel and never looked happy here. It's described as a dream job to some but just another club to him. His ego is ridiculous, he's always put his pride over what's best for the team. The countless fights with players and bias towards others. You can't field the team against Southampton and tell me that's the best side available. I can definitely see a part of him thinking, give my payoff and I'll head back to my family in London. Say he's just bored at this stage watching this side, repeatedly fighting with his squad.

Needham

If it's true he doesn't get a payout if we fail to reach 4 then we should just let the season play out. Because top 4 is gone. And I don't want Europa. At the same time I think we can't really bottom out anywhere below 10th. His antics shouldn't be rewarded with obscene compensation. So it is what it is. Plan for the future.

Fosu-Mens

If it's true he doesn't get a payout if we fail to reach 4 then we should just let the season play out. Because top 4 is gone. And I don't want Europa. At the same time I think we can't really bottom out anywhere below 10th. His antics shouldn't be rewarded with obscene compensation. So it is what it is. Plan for the future.
Plan for the future would be to sack JM now, let McKenna/Carrick take over for the remainder of the season, get in a DoF with full authority over the football department(creating a long term strategy for every football related part of this club; tactics, squad composition and future transfers in and out, scouting, next manager), start playing football that is ambitious(winning by outscoring the opposition rather than trying to concede one less goal than the opposition). And start working towards hiring Howe/Pochettino in the summer.

Will Woodward/Board do this? No.

tieunhilang

So this has been Ed Woodward's plan these days? That's why he hasn't fired Jose yet despite seemingly losing his trust? Damn. Another masterstroke from our CEO! :eek:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Scenario:

1. Employee gets sacked without severance in May if football club finishes outside top 4 - something that almost certainly will happen

2. Employee gets 8 figure pay out if he can get himself sacked sooner

3. Employee is a shit house who seemingly doesn’t care about anyone but himself

What is the most likely outcome?
4. Ed Woodward is not a football man.

Needham

Plan for the future would be to sack JM now, let McKenna/Carrick take over for the remainder of the season, get in a DoF with full authority over the football department(creating a long term strategy for every football related part of this club; tactics, squad composition and future transfers in and out, scouting, next manager), start playing football that is ambitious(winning by outscoring the opposition rather than trying to concede one less goal than the opposition). And start working towards hiring Howe/Pochettino in the summer.

Will Woodward/Board do this? No.
A bunch of that can be done whilst he still stinking the place up. I've really taken against this complacent acceptance that we should fork over 20 million to reward failure and disruption.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Don't forget that Mourinho only won the league because the next best manager in the prem then was Wenger. With TRUE great managers like Pep and Klopp around, Mou's being found out.
Klopp's been at Liverpool longer than Mourinho at Utd - what's he won?

José has a European trophy, a League Cup and a 2nd place finish last season...

Klopp has won utterly nothing and finished 8th, 4th and 4th.

I believe that Mourinho should go - but if he left now he would leave more success than Klopp has achieved at Liverpool, and by some way.

The notion that Klopp have achieved anything is simply a media narrative - think for yourself.

tieunhilang

Klopp's been at Liverpool longer than Mourinho at Utd - what's he won?

José has a European trophy, a League Cup and a 2nd place finish last season...

Klopp has won utterly nothing and finished 8th, 4th and 4th.

I believe that Mourinho should go - but if he left now he would leave more success than Klopp has achieved at Liverpool, and by some way.

The notion that Klopp have achieved anything is simply a media narrative - think for yourself.
I know some United fans who would happily trade our trophies and 2nd place finish last season in the league for Liverpool's 2nd finish in Champions League :nervous: