Is Pogba as good as gone?

Offsideagain

If, and it’s a big if, all the tales of Pogba swanning off to play in a charity game for his brother last weekend and then phoning in sick are true, then he should be ashamed of himself which he won’t be. His agent is looking after his own bank balance and wants some more outrageous commission by moving Pogba somewhere. I wouldn’t rate him as ‘one of the best midfielders in the world’, he’s not even the best in Manchester. Woodward likes the number of Pogba followers on Twitter, otherwise a strong management team would have jettisoned the bloke last season. Jim Ratcliffe was right about the running of the club i.e. very badly run. Tail wagging the dog. A club like United have got suitable replacements for long term injuries is bordering on criminal. The season is written off in my view. I hope I’m wrong but can’t see any inspiration coming from the board.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
In theory I agree with that but in hindsight Pogba would have been managed by SAF for only one more year and after that we went from the Moyes calamity to what we have to endure today. No matter what going to Juve was the best option.
In hindsight he definitely made the right choice but at the time we didn't know it was SAFs last year and it was obvious we were crying out for a talented CM and Pogba certainly fitted the bill. A lot of fans (myself included) thought he was the one to make that CM spot his own and when he left it left a lot of bad feeling. Some of which I think is still around today. SAF wasn't perfect but I don't think he made a mistake with the Pogba/Raiola situation for the reasons I've already stated.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
In hindsight he definitely made the right choice but at the time we didn't know it was SAFs last year and it was obvious we were crying out for a talented CM and Pogba certainly fitted the bill. A lot of fans (myself included) thought he was the one to make that CM spot his own and when he left it left a lot of bad feeling. Some of which I think is still around today. SAF wasn't perfect but I don't think he made a mistake with the Pogba/Raiola situation for the reasons I've already stated.
I'm pretty sure Fergie had announced his retirement before Pogba made a deal with Juventus. But I might be wrong.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
It's pretty easy for a surgeon and doctor to confirm or disprove whether a player has an injury that requires surgery.
It‘s actually not. In fact different doctors might indeed have different opinions about that.
His situation reminds me of Kawhi Leonards situation, WHEN he was at Spurs. Did play only 8 (out of 82) games for them, left the club and became the best Basketball player in the world - at the same time Spurs‘ medical staff could not find an actual injury.
It would be best for United if he left. He does not want to be there. As the world‘s most expensive player his impact has been barely noticeable, comparable to that of Lentini when he was the most expensive player on the planet.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
When you go to a consultation, scan or surgery it's not something where you are comitted to a hospital 24/7 for 3 months. It's not a terminal illness. Rushing back to playing while injured might make things worse longterm and many great players have been ruined by injuries and their clubs not respecting their limit.
Rushing back?
The prick didn't play since September he was out for 3 months.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I'm pretty sure Fergie had announced his retirement before Pogba made a deal with Juventus. But I might be wrong.
If I remember correctly I think SAF announced his retirement after winning the league in the 2012/13 season. Pogba left before the season started.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Did they? Juventus are obsessed with the CL. I think this unhealthy obsession is hurting their better judgement especially in later year. Pogba was the best attacking CM in the Serie A. Losing him did hurt that goal. They certainly would laugh their way to the bank if they end up buying him on cheap next summer (or on free next season)
They really did at first

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I'd still say there was an issue for us in that case, because the transfer went notorious for the fee paid to Raiola and it made us look like right mugs in the public eye, yet again.
No worries. If we want easier transfer dealings, better avoid Raoila altogether at the risk of missing out on some interesting players

Gehrman

So basically United fans say that Pogba is not good enough and does not merit his transfer and wages and then think it's disgraceful when he is vocal about moving clubs?

0le

So basically United fans say that Pogba is not good enough and does not merit his transfer and wages and then think it's disgraceful when he is vocal about moving clubs?
Did you miss some of the tweets Raiola has made, which goes well and beyond the typical "player wants to leave".

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What is the injury anyway.
Not a broken ankle.
Not ligaments.

What takes so long to fix?
If I'm not mistaken it was an high ankle sprain, so ligaments. And based on reports from France from October, United medical staff thought that it wasn't a big deal and only recommended rest, when he came back he aggravated the injury and apparently had surgery on it.

fergiesarmy1

Yes that’s why Pogba wants to leave because of fans moaning on forums, I would love him to be worth his fee and wages but pal it just ain’t happening, never did and never will especially from this point onwards.

Gehrman

Did you miss some of the tweets Raiola has made, which goes well and beyond the typical "player wants to leave".
I agree Raiola should shut up, but maybe making noise is the only way to force the club to sell him in the summer instead of wasting another season in his prime years playing for top 6 Man Utd.

izzydiggler

I agree Raiola should shut up, but maybe making noise is the only way to force the club to sell him in the summer instead of wasting another season in his prime years playing for top 6 Man Utd.
The self-loathing of some ‘fans’ on here is getting ridiculous...

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
If I'm not mistaken it was an high ankle sprain, so ligaments. And based on reports from France from October, United medical staff thought that it wasn't a big deal and only recommended rest, when he came back he aggravated the injury and apparently had surgery on it.
I find it hard to believe to be honest.
If the staff are that incompetent. But nothing would surprise me.

I think Pogba is hamming up a minor issue. I think his attitude is all wrong and one day in the future when people like Jose Mourinho start writing books we'll get the real story. The truth will come out.

red4ever 79

Hasnt had surgery yet I believe. Again as stated earlier today, seemed to be moving around quite comfortably on 30th December in France. Was showing no limping, no favouring another leg.

0le

You can make noise without talking a load of crap to the media. Many agents or players will just say "clubs are interested but player is happy for now" or "we shall see". Raiola however is taking it way too far.

Gehrman

I'm trying to be objective. Since Saf retirement we've generally been a top 6 club and Ole doesn't look like he's going to change that.

Tarrou

I think Pogba is hamming up a minor issue. I think his attitude is all wrong and one day in the future when people like Jose Mourinho start writing books we'll get the real story. The truth will come out.
Why is it hard to believe he’s injured?

izzydiggler

I'm trying to be objective. Since Saf retirement we've generally been a top 6 club and Ole doesn't look like he's going to change that.
It’s the whole ‘we don’t deserve x’ attitude I don’t get from fans. Applies to all players but especially Pogba - we pay these players absolute fortunes, invest more into transfer fees, agents etc and collectively, these staff have failed miserably.

It’s the fans that don’t deserve this. Pogba signed a deal, is paid handsomely, despite him being part of a failing squad, with question marks about his attitude etc. Even if these questions are completely unfounded, his duty is when fit to play to the best of his ability for as long as he’s at the club. I don’t feel sorry for him at all and he deserves no more.

JPRouve

Scout

It's not necessarily incompetency, these things happen because you don't necessarily see everything on imagery and players aren't always truthful when it comes to pain or discomfort. You see these things all the time in the NFL mainly because injury reports are more of a thing. This year I have seen a player try to comeback twice from an hamstring injury, he eventually missed two months because he was telling the physios that he was fine and would try to play.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They really did at first
I think you're underestimating the impact it had. Juventus are a mid sized club by European standards. Its stadium has a capacity of just 41k and it had been recently built. Previously they had to depend on the government to provide them with a stadium with part of their profit going to them. Their merchandising/sponsorship are on the rise but nowhere near to that of Manchester United or Real. Attracting players with that wow factor is difficult for them and Pogba provided that. He was the best AM in the Serie A, he was one of the few truly WC players they had and he was a money generating machine. His loss hit not only Juventus prestige and coffers but also had an impact on their other players as well. Dybala's performance for example took a massive dip since he left and he only started recovering this season.

I tend to get alot of slack for mentioning them but I believe that their setup is the way for us to go. Their strength lie not on their financial muscle but their ability to hire the right people at the right places out of pure meritocracy. They do make mistakes of course and I think that this obsession with the CL is hurting them. However you have to admit that for a club to constantly remain title winners/contenders for 90 years then surely they must be doing something right. In my opinion, the Juventus way is the one of the only two ways United can follow to remain competitive against the oil rich clubs. The alternative is to join the oil rich brigade themselves.

RUCK4444

Totally agree, this place is literally painful to read.

Saying Pogba should leave because we are only a top 6 team is such a childish reaction.

It smacks of self loathing teenagers going through puberty... ‘Im useless, why do you even bother with me!? Go find somebody better, I’ll never amount to anything’. :rolleyes:

Woe is me.

These types really are the life and soul of the caf party.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It’s the whole ‘we don’t deserve x’ attitude I don’t get from fans. Applies to all players but especially Pogba - we pay these players absolute fortunes, invest more into transfer fees, agents etc and collectively, these staff have failed miserably.

It’s the fans that don’t deserve this. Pogba signed a deal, is paid handsomely, despite him being part of a failing squad, with question marks about his attitude etc. Even if these questions are completely unfounded, his duty is when fit to play to the best of his ability for as long as he’s at the club. I don’t feel sorry for him at all and he deserves no more.
Pogba is treating us like shit however it was naive for us to keep him here especially since

a- he wanted to leave
b- we allowed Lukaku (who also wanted to leave) to go but not him.

The problem with United isn't Pogba or Ole. In my opinion they are symptoms of the problem rather then the problem itself. Our main problem is Woodward or/and the Glazers. We can never run this club efficiently if its only able to sign just 3 players per year (as stated by Woodward himself). In such circumstances then we would have no choice but to force players to stay with us against their will or/and keep giving long term contract to players who can't be bothered/aren't good enough.

Gehrman

I don't feel sorry for him either. I think we should just sell him. It's what the fans want and it's what he wants.

USREDEVIL

He's injured. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Hasn't ever made a transfer request. His agent is a prick but that's his agent.

Gehrman

Totally agree, this place is literally painful to read.

Saying Pogba should leave because we are only a top 6 team is such a childish reaction.

It smacks of self loathing teenagers going through puberty... ‘Im useless, why do you even bother with me!? Go find somebody better, I’ll never amount to anything’. :rolleyes:

Woe is me.

These types really are the life and soul of the caf party.
Maybe you should look at it from the POV of the footballers who want to do what's best for their career.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I’m a huge fan of Pogba but this whole injury thing smells very fishy and i feel Ole’s not being entirely honest about the situation.

As much as I enjoy watching Pogba play(which has been rare these days) , we should get rid this window if he doesn’t want to be here anymore which I feel he doesn’t. Also his fat agent won’t let us know any peace till we sell Pogba, I’m tired of this drama with them.

Time to move on without him, we’ve basically played the whole season without him anyways. Let’s get in at least 2 quality midfielders this window and forget about Pogba, he’s done here imo.
This is how I feel, too. Maybe not the whole injury thing, but it feels more like protecting asset.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
No worries. If we want easier transfer dealings, better avoid Raoila altogether at the risk of missing out on some interesting players
I know you said it tongue in cheek but I'd very happily go down that path. As JPRouve has already mentioned his stable isn't all that big and if we never have to deal with him again it would be way too soon. Maybe not for his clients but for the rest of the footballing world the man is pure toxic.

RyRy11

He’s off, don’t blame him either! I personally wouldn’t want to waste my prime in a team still trying to figure how to win against relegation fodder.

JPRouve

Scout
I know you said it tongue in cheek but I'd very happily go down that path. As JPRouve has already mentioned his stable isn't all that big and if we never have to deal with him again it would be way too soon. Maybe not for his clients but for the rest of the footballing world the man is pure toxic.
The rest of the footballing world doesn't care, they are even more toxic and when people are happy to deal with Mendes or praise him when everyone knows well that he does the same things that Raiola does with the small difference that because Gestifute is far bigger they simply use reporters to do their dirty job. The worst part about all of this is that it shows how gullible some of you are, Raiola isn't a particular problem for the football world, he is simple member of that world. People should remember that we have agents involved in bribery like Bernes, exploitation of african kids, tax evasion and third party ownership like Gestifute, gamble with for example some of the Belgian agents. And that's without even mentioning respectable organizations such as FIFA and the UEFA. And people are worried about a rude dutch-italian.

DoomSlayer

We looked like mugs because the british press wanted to turn it that way, "Oh look United are mugs", they did the same thing with Martial, "Martial what a waste of money" and I don't see anyone turning it into something about his agents or Martial. And it didn't became a huge FIFA problem, they simply checked whether it was a third party deal which it wasn't.
That's true, but like I said, I strongly dislike Raiola anyway.

This was what I was talking about in my post, I believe Raiola has a few issues with FIFA and they recently revoked his license as an agent, though it lasted only a few months, if I remember correctly.

dev1l

This was what I was talking about in my post, I believe Raiola has a few issues with FIFA and they recently revoked his license as an agent, though it lasted only a few months, if I remember correctly.
Re: what Raiola said re Ajax getting 150 million for 2 players
Ajax spend millions in developing players and out of all the players only a handful are worth millions - and income from these makes up for the costs incurred to maintain academy.
Raiola on.the other hand takes huge amount of money just to ease the transfer from one club to another - something a simple lawyer can do at a much lower fee.
What is his contribution to the world of football? He s just a sucker

JPRouve

Scout

I know what you are referring to and it was about third party ownership, the tweet even tells you that he is talking about the Pogba deal.