Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Are we really kneejerking whether Sergio Ramos is one of the best or not? His medal haul, number of appearances for the best European club and nation in the world and number of goals from CB should tell you all you need to know.

Cloud7

Are we really kneejerking whether Sergio Ramos is one of the best or not? His medal haul, number of appearances for the best European club and nation in the world and number of goals from CB should tell you all you need to know.
Never underestime the Caf's ability to call a player overrated. If you take a survey of this place, you'll find that the only footballers that aren't overrated are Messi and Ronaldo.

TheLord

The problem is that his performances are underrated because the player is not likable (which reflects in the Caf, more than in some other places).

That aside, he is the best defender of this generation.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
The guys a paradox. ''Best defender of this generation'' doesn't sit right with me but no questioning he gets results.

C'mon FC

Supports
1. FC Köln
Is Ramos the most dirty player? He has a clear shot, yes.
Is Ramos overrated? What a stupid question! He is one of the best in history. World Champion, 2x European Champion, 4x Champions league winner, 5x Spanish Champion and more!

berbasloth4

a brilliant player successful etc but based on defensive ability he is overrated. He is a liability

Theonas

Scout
a brilliant player successful etc but based on defensive ability he is overrated. He is a liability
The only logical conclusion then is that defensive ability is an overrated trait if you want to build a top successful team. I am not even being sarcastic.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
So by that logic Wes Brown was a world class defender?
Since he has 5 EPL, 2 UCL, 2 FA Cup and 2 League Cup medals

Theonas

Scout
Wes Brown was never even an automatic starter or one of the leaders of that team. Not to mention, his contribution at the international stage was non existent. You don't have to be WC to be part of winning teams. But you can't not to be if you are going to be a leader in successful teams at every single front you played in.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Is that what you take from what I wrote? Are you really insinuating that Wes Brown and Sergio Ramos are on the same level because I mentioned what Sergio Ramos had won in a longer post concentrating on his accolades as a whole?

Nope, I'm not getting into it. Not worth my time.

Chief123

Ramos is one of the best ever. Not even a debate.

Yes he’s a dirty sneaky player. Exactly the kind of player we need at Utd. Leaders aren’t always nice guys.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Best ever at scoring headers and defending sloppily maybe.

izec

No bump after the masterclass yesterday.
Pretty normal. He is 34, Real are going downhill, he plays with a past it Marcelo as LB, Varane a liability as CB and a winger as a RB in defense. Modric in front of him is also over the hill. You can put any top CB that ever existed there and they would struggle in that side currently.

As if what he does now the next couple of years defines his career that much. He already made his legacy as one of the best

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Would love to have such “overrated” players at United.
Brilliant player for more than a decade. RM and Spain are/were very lucky to have him.

GifLord

Is that what you take from what I wrote? Are you really insinuating that Wes Brown and Sergio Ramos are on the same level because I mentioned what Sergio Ramos had won in a longer post concentrating on his accolades as a whole?

Nope, I'm not getting into it. Not worth my time.
You're the one that's judging a player's ability based on what they've won.

Pav1878

One of the best ever. To suggest anything else is laughable.

Just look at real when he's not there.

And over 100 goals from CB? Ridiculous

Idxomer

Pretty normal. He is 34, Real are going downhill, he plays with a past it Marcelo as LB, Varane a liability as CB and a winger as a RB in defense. Modric in front of him is also over the hill. You can put any top CB that ever existed there and they would struggle in that side currently.

As if what he does now the next couple of years defines his career that much. He already made his legacy as one of the best
Ramos's defensive frailties are always there irrespective of who's in front of him, it's not something new. He may be a great footballer overall but no amount of trophies will prove he's a great CB.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
One of the best footballers of the past decade, however, defensively I'd say he's closer to Phil Jones than he is Vidic, but I wouldn't want to insult Phil Jones

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Incredible player. One of the best of this generation.

His infrequent moments of being a headcase is well worth it for everything else he brings.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I would say he's a good defender, a very good cnut, a great leader and one of the best ever CBs on the ball or in the opposition box. Overall I guess that makes him borderline world class. But he's been that for 15 years which is pretty damn impressive.

Varane on the other hand is shit and has always been massively overrated due to playing next to Ramos, Pepe and having had world class midfielders in front of him for most of his career.

Pav1878

Ramos's defensive frailties are always there irrespective of who's in front of him, it's not something new. He may be a great footballer overall but no amount of trophies will prove he's a great CB.
Which is why one of the most successful teams ever, play him at CB?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I would say he's a good defender, a very good cnut, a great leader and one of the best ever CBs on the ball or in the opposition box. Overall I guess that makes him borderline world class. But he's been that for 15 years which is pretty damn impressive.

Varane on the other hand is shit and has always been massively overrated due to playing next to Ramos, Pepe and having had world class midfielders in front of him for most of his career.
Or perhaps it's Pepe and Varane that are making up for Ramos' defensive lapses as he's too busy trying to score goals rather than defend...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Or perhaps it's Pepe and Varane that are making up for Ramos' defensive lapses as he's too busy trying to score goals rather than defend...
Denied. If you'd stopped at Pepe I might have been persuadable but Varane is cack.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
You're the one that's judging a player's ability based on what they've won.
No I'm using what a player's won to support an opinion, which is fine.

He's played 450 games as the starting CB, captain for Real Madrid, likewise for Spain, scoring seventy five goals on the way. Some of which have been game winners. The guy's one of the best CBs of all time and I'm shocked there are 18 pages of debate, this should be a non-starter and closed by mods day 1.

GameOn

He's a great player and not one bit overrated.

People actually overrate some traits in football players (flashiness etc.), while massively underrating other intangible aspects like mentality, clutchness and leadership.

Ramos has been elite in all those aspects.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
He's a great player and not one bit overrated.

People actually overrate some traits in football players (flashiness etc.), while massively underrating other intangible aspects like mentality, clutchness and leadership.

Ramos has been elite in all those aspects.
And elite in being caught out of position and getting red cards

Jonesno.8

We could have done with a bit of his bastard at the club. Gets caught out positionally and is a red card liability but no nonsense, tough as f%%k. Would have loved him here.

GifLord

No I'm using what a player's won to support an opinion, which is fine.

He's played 450 games as the starting CB, captain for Real Madrid, likewise for Spain, scoring seventy five goals on the way. Some of which have been game winners. The guy's one of the best CBs of all time and I'm shocked there are 18 pages of debate, this should be a non-starter and closed by mods day 1.
Since when do we rate a defender based on how many goal's he's scored? Also his disciplinary record is immense aswell for a defender that is :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ramos's defending is like Messi's heading; a weaker point in their game that they still do to a decent standard. They maybe better players who do that particular skill but they are viewed as the best in their position because their role has evolved to require more than finishing or more than defending and they do that better all together.

Messi's creativity as a false 9 changed the game as much as Ramos's creativity as a CB. Ramos had leadership games, and was a goalscorer playing at CB aswell. I dont think his defending was ever rated highly but he was always rated as a fantastic legendary player that changed the game.

Anyway this has been said to death and I'm not sure what's there to discuss anymore.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Since when do we rate a defender based on how many goal's he's scored? Also his disciplinary record is immense as well for a defender that is :lol:
He's a modern CB that does everything. Defends well 1v1, wins his duels in the air (at both ends), incredible passing range on either foot, confident against a press... AND he scores goals, big ones too!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
True. The fact he's a great footballer proves he's a great CB

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
The guy has 26 red cards. That is why I think most people are not going to pick him as the first defender they want on their team. I get that he has a lot of goals but defenders aren’t judged on goals, they are judged on consistency.

When his head is in the game for sure top 3 cbs but ultimately it comes down to trust. Ferdinand got 12 reds, Terry 6, vidic and carvalho 4. If a lot of people have a shred of doubt in him then he cannot be the greatest.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The guy has 26 red cards. That is why I think most people are not going to pick him as the first defender they want on their team. I get that he has a lot of goals but defenders aren’t judged on goals, they are judged on consistency.

When his head is in the game for sure top 3 cbs but ultimately it comes down to trust. Ferdinand got 12 reds, Terry 6, vidic and carvalho 4. If a lot of people have a shred of doubt in him then he cannot be the greatest.
Ferdinand 12? He barely got yellow cards, so don't think he got 12 reds.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Of course he's not the greatest. The greatest has to be one of the best at defending. He's a very good footballer and a great fit for Madrid and cup competitions but his defending has never been truly top class.