Is Ramos the most overrated CB in history?

Matt007a

He's a unique CB. Whether that makes him the greatest CB I'm not so sure. As a goal scorer and a leader, he is immense, but the first job of a defender is to defend and he is not an all time great defender.

I guess he can be a great all round player, without being a great defender. He's a bit of an anomaly really.

Murray3007

think hes more a leader and organiser then a great defender, think the same about Kompany, makes alot of rash tackles, gets caught out of position but has good recovery speed to make up the ground, think his goal scoring makes people believe he is better then what he actually is, add in the standard of CB is miles off what is was 10 years ago for example, would have Godin as my best CB in the last 10 years.

RooneyLegend

So on these all time defender lists are we going to decide that Koeman is the greatest ever with Ramos just behind him? Only in this era would people decide goal scoring abilities make defenders great. Imagine thinking Koeman is better than the likes of Baresi and Maldini.

Son

So on these all time defender lists are we going to decide that Koeman is the greatest ever with Ramos just behind him? Only in this era would people decide goal scoring abilities make defenders great. Imagine thinking Koeman is better than the likes of Baresi and Maldini.
Ramos is in the same conversation with Baresi and Maldini as one of the all time greats in defence. All have different attributes obviously.

His achievements are right at the pinnacle of what’s ever been done for a guy in his position. The greatest player behind Messi and Ronaldo of maybe the past 10 years? Lewandoski right up there as well.

RooneyLegend

Ramos is in the same conversation with Baresi and Maldini as one of the all time greats in defence. All have different attributes obviously.

His achievements are right at the pinnacle of what’s ever been done for a guy in his position. The greatest player behind Messi and Ronaldo of maybe the past 10 years? Lewandoski right up there as well.
This is ridiculous from start to finish. What different attributes? Maldini and Baresi could defend, Ramos is an occasional goal scorer. Koeman scored loads more than Ramos, sensible people don't have him in these lists for a reason. The same sensible people won't have Ramos anywhere near these lists.

Son

This is ridiculous from start to finish. What different attributes? Maldini and Baresi could defend, Ramos is an occasional goal scorer. Koeman scored loads more than Ramos, sensible people don't have him in these lists for a reason. The same sensible people won't have Ramos anywhere near these lists.
The guy has been one of the best footballers in the world for nearly two decades and won everything at the highest level usually as captain for nearly two decades.

mshnsh

I don't see anything special about him, not the same way in as I do about VVD, Baresi
Laporte, Rio, Maldini, Peak Boateng, Terry, etc. There were many good defenders in the 90s and 2000s but I'd rather pick them over Ramos who is considered as one of best CB in history based on his honors. I think I saw something stats that Ramos has a more red card than Rio's yellow card, it's awful. Edited: Putting Laporte on the list may be too much but I've always rated him so highly and think he is good defenders

Real Madrid has conceded many goals with him but he was lucky that Real Madrid outscored opponents and Ronaldo is scoring a lot and winning trophies, it overshadows his defensive instability.

He may be good on balls and scoring goals from corner/set pieces but was he really good at defending? Can you imagine If Liverpool picked up Ramos instead of VVD, would he improve Liverpool's defense the same way as VVD do?

He got into FIFA FIFPro World XI 9 time and UEFA team 8 times. That got to the point where I think he is officially the most overrated CB in history. In the next 30 years, people would be thinking he's best CB in history because of his honors and trophies.
He was the reason why Real Madrid won the 2014 and 2016 UCL final. Not Ronaldo.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I have a problem with statements like these. It's fine to not rate him up to a certain level but beyond that is a bit of an arrogant stance.

MADReaLJL

By disregarding what Ronaldo had contributed to the team during the whole knockout stages.

By that logic, Roy Keane played minimal role on our 99 UCL triumph, even though he had that monstrous performance against Juventus in the semifinal.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pretty normal. He is 34, Real are going downhill, he plays with a past it Marcelo as LB, Varane a liability as CB and a winger as a RB in defense. Modric in front of him is also over the hill. You can put any top CB that ever existed there and they would struggle in that side currently.

As if what he does now the next couple of years defines his career that much. He already made his legacy as one of the best
Any defender will struggle at Madrid with what is in front of them. I have seen Cannavaro come off a world-class season to look very mediocre in Madrid. Ramos is the best you can get at Madrid.

With his whole attitude and win at all cost including the sneakiness and dirtiness I say he is one current defender that will fit in like a glove in the 90s Serie A. And that is a compliment

Theonas

Scout
Any defender will struggle at Madrid with what is in front of them. I have seen Cannavaro come off a world-class season to look very mediocre in Madrid. Ramos is the best you can get at Madrid.

With his whole attitude and win at all cost including the sneakiness and dirtiness I say he is one current defender that will fit in like a glove in the 90s Serie A. And that is a compliment
Exactly! The guy won a Ballon d'Or only to go there and look an amateur. There is a reason a long manager's list of who's who never looked to replace him especially when one considers how powerful Real Madrid were in the transfer market. Playing the way Real do, no one could have done better. It is also not a coincidence that whereas he got 26 red cards for Real, he has a grand zero for Spain who play a more conservative/structured brand of football.

Statue of Limitations

When someone starts a conversation for best defenders in the past decade, Ramos is one of the first to come to mind, therefore unless he is being bandied about as the GOAT I don't think overrated can be claimed.

He is a warrior and a leader. And a bit of a cnut too of course but one that you'd be happy to have on your side.

Comes up with some clutch goals too. Would have loved him here.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Name a defender in that time who has done more in the game and made more of a name for themselves?
Only people care about this too much rate him as among the greatest ever. He's an average defender when it comes to defending which is odd for a supposedly greatest ever CB.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The guy has been one of the best footballers in the world for nearly two decades and won everything at the highest level usually as captain for nearly two decades.
Two decades. He regularly used to get made to look like a clown in classicos. He's improved his defending with time but it's a stretch to say he was one of the best PLAYERS in the world back then. How was he that in the 00s can I ask?

Matt6677

When someone starts a conversation for best defenders in the past decade, Ramos is one of the first to come to mind, therefore unless he is being bandied about as the GOAT I don't think overrated can be claimed.

He is a warrior and a leader. And a bit of a cnut too of course but one that you'd be happy to have on your side.

And that's what it really boils it down for me

All this laughable criticism of the Great Sergio Ramos wont have happened if he was one of us

Immense Immense player

Pablo18th

With Ronaldo off the pitch they lose both those games. The tactical discipline and defensive effort Atleti has to put becomes way less.

Real Madrid also gets nowhere near a champions league final without Ronaldo.

That said, Ramos is a great player just not and is among the greatest players of all time. I wouldn't say defenders as it's not defending that makes him great but everything else.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Two decades. He regularly used to get made to look like a clown in classicos. He's improved his defending with time but it's a stretch to say he was one of the best PLAYERS in the world back then. How was he that in the 00s can I ask?
By clowned, you mean second best to Barcelona? The same team that teared United's best CB pairing ever apart with absolute ease? Guess Rio and Vidic are clowns too!

Ramos has been at the top end of football for over ten years so it does span two decades, yes.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Ramos is a class defender and some of the critiscm he's getting is ridiculous.

Its being talked here about his defending is subpar, Thing is when they had Ronaldo and Bale who both really never tracked backed when they were in a position to defend then obviously the defenders are going to come out worse aren't they if they haven't got the protection in front of them.

Madrid has always been a team which has always had attacking intents, The gaps between the defence/midfield/forwards can sometimes be ludicrous.

I just hope when poster's are talking about a players ability they take in the other factors aswell like the teams defense unit and style of play.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

That's the thing you need at least one cnut on your team. Prime epitome of a match winner and big game player.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Back to 2012 level for penalties? Two missed in one game is some going for someone very good at them nowadays.

Cloud7

Does this 'Ramos is overrated' discussion happen anywhere outside of the Caf? Of all the people I talk about football with in real life and on social media, who are a spread of supports of many different teams, it's pretty much unanimously agreed that he's the best CB of the last decade, and up there with one of the best ever.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Does this 'Ramos is overrated' discussion happen anywhere outside of the Caf? Of all the people I talk about football with in real life and on social media, who are a spread of supports of many different teams, it's pretty much unanimously agreed that he's the best CB of the last decade, and up there with one of the best ever.
Literally, this.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's a thing in the Netherlands, but mostly, because we're all supposed to love Barcelona and Ramos is a bit of a cnut. I personally love saying he's overrated even though deep down I know he's not half bad.

Honestly though, some people say Ronaldo only scores pens and tap ins and Messi isnt all that until he wins the world cup. Being a football fan is not a rational hobby.

Cloud7

It's a thing in the Netherlands, but mostly, because we're all supposed to love Barcelona and Ramos is a bit of a cnut. I personally love saying he's overrated even though deep down I know he's not half bad.

Honestly though, some people say Ronaldo only scores pens and tap ins and Messi isnt all that until he wins the world cup. Being a football fan is not a rational hobby.
What do they think of Pique in your parts, since he's a Barcelona man? He's another player that I think was quite good, albeit not as good as Ramos, and the Caf thinks is crap.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
What do they think of Pique in your parts, since he's a Barcelona man? He's another player that I think was quite good, albeit not as good as Ramos, and the Caf thinks is crap.
He's not talked about as much honestly. I think part of the Ramos talk is Ajax having lots of clashes with Real over the last decade. Though I think most agree Ramos is much better.

paulscholes18

fecking hell, his 2nd penalty made Lookman’s look half decent. Why would you do that especially after you have already missed one

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It’s more of a generational thing in my view. He’s been the main man for those aged 25 or under and they haven’t experienced anyone else being regarded in a higher tier. And he’s produced some of those most highest profile and influential performances when that generation has been at its most impressionable.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Ramos is the best CB of the 2010s decade

Neuer is the best GK of the 2010s decade

Both of these claims are basically unanimous at this point. There will always be some hipsters who will say Oblak or Godin, but they are a minority.

Cloud7

It’s more of a generational thing in my view. He’s been the main man for those aged 25 or under and they haven’t experienced anyone else being regarded in a higher tier. And he’s produced some of those most highest profile and influential performances when that generation has been at its most impressionable.
I'm 28 :lol: I agree that there's probably something in that generational argument. For me personally, I saw players like Vidic, Nesta etc at their best, and I can still appreciate that Ramos definitely belongs among the best CB's ever.

mshnsh

With Ronaldo off the pitch they lose both those games. The tactical discipline and defensive effort Atleti has to put becomes way less.

Real Madrid also gets nowhere near a champions league final without Ronaldo.

That said, Ramos is a great player just not and is among the greatest players of all time. I wouldn't say defenders as it's not defending that makes him great but everything else.
No. They should have lost both games. Atletico were far the better side in both and Ronaldo was anonymous, infact the worst on the pitch.

As for getting to the final, Ronaldo's only contribution in 2013 was the hat trick vs wolfsburg.

In 2014, he scored alot of goals but again there wasn't a performance that was particularly memorable.

mshnsh

By disregarding what Ronaldo had contributed to the team during the whole knockout stages.

By that logic, Roy Keane played minimal role on our 99 UCL triumph, even though he had that monstrous performance against Juventus in the semifinal.
Ronaldo contributed goals but not a single "monstrous" performance. Even the performance vs Wolfsburg was hardly great despite the hattrick.

Pep's Suit

Linked with City yesterday, would love to see him in PL for two years or so.