Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

Oggmonster

I enjoyed listening to it in all honesty. I get it may rub people up the wrong way and it isn't some great tactical analysis but it's good to see someone like that care about the club. Maybe he doesn't present his point as well as Neville or Carragher but equally their kind of punditry can be to much sometimes, I don't personally need an hour every Monday to analyse every weekend game in fine detail (I don't watch that part of MNF anymore cos I find it really dull.)

Punditry sometimes can work with someoone like Keane having a rant at a few players for what he perceives as letting the club down. I think he's pretty much spot on about his attitude towards Pogba really. I saw a few posts on twitter trying to discredit him for saying players like Lingard need a leader and that it should be Pogba trying to prove him wrong cos Lingard is older, a leader can be younger and Pogba for what he cost and wanting to be this great player should be that, he doesn't do it enough. I enjoyed him at full time as well, maybe he was slightly critical but this United team is hugely frustrating to watch as a fan and I imagine as an ex player and captain of one of our most successful periods ever it is even harder to watch. People like Gary Neville and Keane were never the best naturally gifted players in the world but they didn't stop and the same can't be said for this current team.

I didn't mind any of them last night, Neville was balanced middle man and sensible head, Hart was pretty useful cos of de Gea's errors and did provide some decent insight at times and Keane and Souness were good to listen to I thought, especially at the end when talking about how big the job is and how far behind we were, I didn't really disagree with any of it.

Big Andy

Bloke
The Roy Keane eye roll when Gary Neville said something moronic was TV Gold...

Needham

I didn't mind any of them last night, Neville was balanced middle man and sensible head, Hart was pretty useful cos of de Gea's errors and did provide some decent insight at times and Keane and Souness were good to listen to I thought, especially at the end when talking about how big the job is and how far behind we were, I didn't really disagree with any of it.
Someone in the YouTube comments said Hart looked like when your stoned and round at your mum and dad's house for dinner sat there trying to hide it.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Someone in the YouTube comments said Hart looked like when your stoned and round at your mum and dad's house for dinner sat there trying to hide it.
He did front up about it afterwards, mind.

Oggmonster

Haha that's probably a pretty accurate description in fairness.

I liked when Keane stated that Pep wanted a whole new defence and goalkeeper cos he didn't rate what he had then a minute later Hart was in the studio.

lsd

The Oracle
Last night he was verging on shaking with anger, Gary Nev being on the receiving end. Good TV but bit worried he's going to butt Neville and scream "And you can feck off enaaal Souness. feck yez all," and then just sit there.

I pray for the day

RE1999

I enjoyed Keane's punditry last night. He was clear with his opinion, it was entertaining and in line with what many fans think

SirAF

Ageist
Haha that's probably a pretty accurate description in fairness.

I liked when Keane stated that Pep wanted a whole new defence and goalkeeper cos he didn't rate what he had then a minute later Hart was in the studio.
:lol:

poleglass red

I'd no problem with his views on the show, in fact strongly agreed with them. I really liked the bit where he said something along the lines of great players make those around them better. Right now we can't say that about our so called top players.I thought he was passionate without getting silly, you can tell it hurts him seeing us this way.

POF

This team needs a Roy Keane, a Cantona, or a Gary. Literally, i'd like them to be envolved with the staff. People who walk into a room and everybody stays quiet terrified.

At Madrid nobody dares to disrespect Zidane for example. We need a big, tough guy who will make the dressing room care about Manchester United!

Going back to the thread's title, hell yeah, he is a very good pundit when he wants to be, as a player he was always perceived as somewhat of just a tough durable guy but he always had an eye for the tactics of the game.
One of these things is not like the others!!!

I assume he’s talking about the fact that Queiroz’s tactics won United the CL in 2008.
Was that him who put the banana skin by the penalty spot before Terry's penalty? He's a genius.

He was right about that fecking horse.
He's right about most things to be honest. I rarely disagree with the sentiment of what he says. This is probably because growing up I watched United be successful under a culture he drove.

His issue, in management especially, is that he is far too honest and has no filter. Sometimes, when managing people (or speaking to your boss), you have to learn to shut up and have the conversation with a clear head in a calm manner.

He comes across as a raving loon at times because it's so rare to see such brutal honesty.

The ironic thing is that Ole is trying to instil the sort of work ethic and culture at United that Keane was the poster boy for. Keane seems an ideal candidate for the backroom staff on paper, but you just couldn't have Roy in such a role at United. He's too much of a loose cannon.

Nuts

Can anyone properly explain why there’s such bitterness towards Keane on here?

All those using this as an excuse to bash his coaching - he’s never said he’s the guy to manage us back to the very top.

What he is saying, is that what we lack most at the moment is the guts, desire and respect for the club that he showed better and for longer than anyone.

Surely there’s great value in him pointing that out? Let’s fix that first and then insist that Keane gives us a more incisive technical analysis. Priorities, eh?

arthurka

His blood boils to see how shit we have become. Love him to bits, he said it how it is.

RyRoc

You said his,advice was bad when it clearly isn't. You don't stand of players because you think they are good
You also don't just vacate your man and leave space open because you see someone running with the ball - I mean you might now and again but it's about reading the game situation. Keane, IMO, talked with a lot of passion but also lacked some intelligence with his analysis last night.

red4ever 79

On a side note, thought Hart was absolutely awful as a pundit. What is with the accent? Sounded like a twinge of South African there?

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
His line about players throwing their hair gel at one another was brilliant. Even made Souness have a chuckle. I appreciate his straight talking style but I'd like to see some technical analysis thrown in. At least there are no sacred cows with Roy Keane.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
The visible anger Keane showed as his hand gripped tighter on the chair when he referred to Fred as "cheating" was both scary and hilarious at the same time. Thought he might actually rip Neville's head right off.

Last edited:

stepic

Can anyone properly explain why there’s such bitterness towards Keane on here?

All those using this as an excuse to bash his coaching - he’s never said he’s the guy to manage us back to the very top.

What he is saying, is that what we lack most at the moment is the guts, desire and respect for the club that he showed better and for longer than anyone.

Surely there’s great value in him pointing that out? Let’s fix that first and then insist that Keane gives us a more incisive technical analysis. Priorities, eh?
it's weird eh? a fecking club legend and people just like to mouth off at him. it's beyond weird, particularly when the player performance threads are probably 90% of posters criticizing the players.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
it's weird eh? a fecking club legend and people just like to mouth off at him. it's beyond weird, particularly when the player performance threads are probably 90% of posters criticizing the players.
I've noticed that there seems to be posters in here that find it outrageous that former players, particularly club legends criticise the club/players in any way. They simply can't handle it and treat it as a personal slight - unable to comprehend that underneath the criticism is a genuine love for the club and the comments are out of anger and frustration about how the club is being run.

RasTiaGba

Yes. Absolutely fantastic pundit.

You only hear from him once every couple months, so he has to keep his punditry concise. I.e. instead of him wasting his 5 minute slot talking about Man City's pressing in a deep analysis, he'll use his 5 minute slot to tell us how United's big stars care more about hair gel than winning trophies for United.

Steerpike

Keane is like punditry's equivalent of click-bait. I'm sure he sets out to be confrontational and controversial, and that the broadcasters are hoping for just that. Sometimes it's irritating, but it's also refreshing to hear someone tell it like it is. I was in the camp of being gloomily accepting of the performance last night - City are much better than us, the outcome was pretty much as expected, and at least the players seemed more up for it that they were against Everton. Roy Keane took an entirely different view - the players didn't work hard enough, and City probably couldn't believe how easy it was - and perhaps he was right.

Nuts

The games changed. I’m not sure he’s not just playing up to his character but you can’t play like the way that Keane and some of the other guys that retired over a decade ago think. It’s good to see that following his philosophy, his teams have been so successful.
Are you for real?

This is what the fecking internet’s done for us - allow tools to make solemn pronouncements from up high is if they’re Bobby Charlton.

Who are ‘some of the other guys’ you’ve decided the games left behind?

You’re just trading off a tired old cliche about Keane. Actually watch the games - he was technically and athletically far superior to what your flimsy post suggests.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Keane is like punditry's equivalent of click-bait. I'm sure he sets out to be confrontational and controversial, and that the broadcasters are hoping for just that.
Don't think it's pre-conceived or as calculated as you're suggesting. Think it's just him being honest really. When the cameras stop rolling, he's still the same dude.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think last night was the first time in a long time that I've listened to him and wanted to hear his views because I know he cares rather than just waiting for the inevitable viral video moment where he says something blunt and Roy Keane-ish and the others laugh at it.

He wasn't in the mood last night more than ever to play up to that and it showed with the way he treated Nev and he was damn right for doing so.

The state of the club is absolutely no laughing matter and Keane knows it and he wants others to realise just what a state it is. He was absolutely correct about everything last night and he didn't say anything controversial, he didn't say anything that's just gonna be a laugh afterwards, he was completely spot on.

He also showed respect for Ole too which I don't think Nev did by saying that we actually reacted and played well. I got the point about it being as good as we can be because we're not that good and I agree but it still was absolutely nowhere near enough effort and having sympathy for players lacking energy is just bollocks at the end of the day when you see how hard City work. It was painful hearing that after seeing Aguero of all people charge down our defenders and block a clearance for a throw-in then turn around and scream to show he was up for it late on.

None of this current team is worthy of the shirt right now. None of them.

clarkydaz

how genuinely wound up and disgusted he was getting sitting in a chair, legend :lol:. We have a whole squad who cant muster up an ounce of it between them

Nuts

Roy Keane as Director of Football?
He knows the players are shite, he’d be insistent on a summer clear out.
Knowing all the potential negatives, I still think it’s a shame there’s no role at all for him at United. He’s got what we need in bucketloads. If people want some of what we’ve lost back, surely he’s the guy to instil it? It’s ecactly what SAF used him for for years - quality control and making sure everyone was on it all the time.

It’s a shame it can’t work. German clubs would never let a record winning captain drift away like that - at Bayern he’d be involved somewhere so as not to lose his impact.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
For those who didn't see it, here's most of it -

Last edited:

Sauldogba

Hes not an amazing pundit but hes one of the best because he keeps it short simple and straight to the point. And he speaks the truth.

Doesnt really have hidden agendas,is not xenophobic,doesnt use stupid cliches.
Thats exactly how a pundit should be.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Don't think it's pre-conceived or as calculated as you're suggesting. Think it's just him being honest really. When the cameras stop rolling, he's still the same dude.
Tbf he came out a year ago or so in an interview and said basically half the shit he says is just for tv. Something along the lines of sometimes nothing needs to be said or you don't need 30 minute stuff of punditry. You clearly can't just sit there saying nothing so you have to come up with topics and discussions about stuff he would normally never talk about.