Is Roy Keane actually a good pundit

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I didn't see anything wrong either. Re him being basic in his punditry, there's not really much more to be said. Players aren't good enough and they don't work hard enough. We had a tactically astute manager in Jose and it didn't work either, so we can try different tactics/formations but ultimately the ability and work rate still need to come into it.RE his punditry, esp when there are 4 guests, I don't think you can get too much into depth re formations etc. Shaw doesn't close down quick enough 1st goal, keeper doesn't help him. Fred mistake although others were found wanting as well leads to 2nd goal, keeper doesn't help him. It's an easy game at the end of the day, I think some make it more difficult than it is. I find his straight to he point analysis refreshing.
I don’t just mean the other night, I mean in general whenever he’s on ITV or whatever. He’s a bit like Paul Scholes in the way he offers his immediate thoughts or a summary but not much else. He basically gives you the introduction to an article, where Neville would give you the whole thing.

Keane was a great player and a great captain - of a team from a different generation.

A lot of his points are on the money, but he can’t relate to this generation of player and their mentality.

Managers don’t have any authority any more, it’s all about player power, and Roy Keane approaches them with a sledge hammer. Unfortunately he’s a dinasour in the way he thinks - he’s akin to Souness. I’ll always love Keane the player, but he’s not fit for purpose as a manager or a pundit in this day and age.

starman

i wouldnt mind bringing in Keane if he judged everyone behind one of those one sided observation glass rooms, but he should under no circumstances be allowed to talk to anyone, thats his downfall...

Will Singh

Don't be such a condescending twat. I'm around since Tommy Docherty was manager. What exactly has that got to do with what we're discussing? That's the actual point. Things have changed. Fergie wasn't the same manager at the end of his career as he was at the start. That was at the heart of his success, his ability to move with the times. My point is that what made Keane great is not enough to impress the Pogba's of this world anymore.
Got nothing to do with Keanes ability as a player, more to do with he's character and demands 100%. Thanks for the personal insults btw.

Green_Red

I've been criticised for saying this previously, but Keane just did what he always does. He claimed that the team that won tried harder, and the team that lost didn't try hard enough. Which is what he says after every match. You could have locked him in a cupboard during the match, and told him the result at the end, and he still would have said exactly the same thing.

Souness is pretty much the same. You could replace Souness with a tape recorder that said 'work rate' and 'dressing room' on a continual loop. Work rate...dressing room...work rate...dressing room...work rate...when I was at Liverpool...dressing room. You wouldn't have to pay that tape recorder 200 grand a year either.

According to Keane in particular, and Souness to a great extent, every football match in history has been decided by tracking back and one team trying harder than the other.

Whereas Neville and Carragher actually attempt to analyse what has occurred in a game. Neville is better at it than Carragher, but Carragher at least attempts to understand the pattern of play, and picks out things that the average punter cannot see. You couldn't have Keane on MNF because he doesn't have anything constructive to say.

The reality is that City are way, way better than United, and last night was pretty much as well as United could have expected to fare. If Lingard had taken their one clear-cut chance then they might have scraped a wholly underserved draw. Or if City had missed all of their chances then they might have got a 0-0.

They're playing against a brilliant team and squad, that are likely to have put 198 points on the board in two seasons by the end of May. They had absolutely no f*cking chance whatsoever, and were completely outclassed by a much superior team technically, as was entirely predictable before the game started. The result had nothing to do with work rate or effort.
Where you at the game?

Green_Red

I like listening to him purely because when it comes to it, if we had Roy Keane now in that team we'd be winning the league most seasons, so IMO theres no former player (maybe Scholses) better positioned to make those comments.

Suedesi

Keane referred to Queiroz as Ronaldo's dad and criticised Fletcher and the young players in a MUTV which was deemed as vicious by one journalist. He was a fantastic player but an absolute cnut of a human being.

And to the person saying Keane would have Pogba's blood all over the dressing room... A 6ft4 Pogba would trample over a 5ft 9inch midget like Keane.
That was RVN.

Keane could handle Vieira, pretty sure he would handle Pogba.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Got nothing to do with Keanes ability as a player, more to do with he's character and demands 100%. Thanks for the personal insults btw.
I retract the twat. That was uncalled for. I apologise. The condescension stands. I don't think we're going to be able to make ourselves understood to each other. We appear to be speaking a different language. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

Will Singh

I retract the twat. That was uncalled for. I apologise. The condescension stands. I don't think we're going to be able to make ourselves understood to each other. We appear to be speaking a different language. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.
Apology excepted, have a good weekend and let's just hope we get back to winning ways real soon!

Suedesi

Butt hurt Keane fan boy..:lol:

Queiroz won trophy's as Real Madrid manager, at SCP too. Queiroz also brought the Portuguese golden generation to two u-20 world cup triumphs. Players like Rui Costa and Luis Figo credit Queiroz for their early development.
In fairness, that Supercopa de España he won with Real Madrid in 2003 is still talked about by the Madridistas everywhere.

The Taça de Portugal he won with Sporting in 95? Legendary mate, I tells ya.

CM

Not really a good pundit but he's still good value due to his blunt nature. I get the feeling that he'd still be finding faults with us even if we played like City.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
In fairness, that Supercopa de España he won with Real Madrid in 2003 is still talked about by the Madridistas everywhere.

The Taça de Portugal he won with Sporting in 95? Legendary mate, I tells ya.
The point was his management career was far superior than the absolutely abysmal career Keane had in comparison.

Figo, Rui Costa and Fernando Couto speak highly of Queiroz's work as a coach and give him alot of credit for their development in becoming legends in the game. I'm yet to see the the likes of Carlos Edwards say the same about Keane..

Theonas

Scout
Your clueless. His positional play and reading of game was brilliant. How else could he outplay Juventus midfield in 99, technically better players, but he outsmarted them easily.
It looks like you're new here so one piece of advise; do not call other posters names. It will be a much better place if you behave yourself.

ericking

He's a psychopath.

His values are from a period that is 20yrs old now. His managerial record has proved that they don't work in the modern game.

I do agree with his values though, but I'm realistic enough to know that as time changes, so must our values. Ferguson was a genius in this regard.

I hate watching the antics of Pogba, Kyle Walker, Hazard, Fabregas, Sterling etc. I can only imagine how much they would infuriate Keane.

Still a legend though!

Suedesi

The point was his management career was far superior than the absolutely abysmal career Keane had in comparison.

Figo, Rui Costa and Fernando Couto speak highly of Queiroz's work as a coach and give him alot of credit for their development in becoming legends in the game. I'm yet to see the the likes of Carlos Edwards say the same about Keane..
Be it as it may, it has zero bearing on Keane's punditry which was spot on.

vidic blood & sand

He's popcorn entertainment. He's says what everyone knows is true, but will upset. That's why he's on sky, and I love it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Everything he said has been repeated in this forum many times by various posters. Things like "Luke Shaw isn't good enough" has been repeated on here plenty of times.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I couldn't resist making fun of Supercoppa de Espnana and Taca de Portugal hombre
Something you and Roy Keane could only dream of winning as a Coach in real life. I guess you could do it on Football Manager.

Kaj45rpm

Roy Keane says it as it is - no bullshit.
If we had one player in the team with his drive and determination we would be in a better place.
We've never replaced him with a rottweiler of a general. He was a real leader and something we are lacking.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
He's more handsome than ever now that he got rid of that neckbeard.

Neckbeard? Listen, I despise this wanker as much as anyone on this board, but you have to give him his due. To call that ex-manbush of his a neckbeard is the height of unfairness. That was as impressive a set of facial whiskers as you'll see anywhere.

Luke1995

He is a very real one! Makes a great team with Gary and Carragher. These days he was speaking his heart out on how players shouldn't accept wage cuts and it was brilliant.

If your cup of tea is a fantastic analyst, go listen to Rio Ferdinand or Lampard. Roy is all about telling it like he sees it. He doesn't care about how he is perceived.

I would love for him to return to United in some capacity.

MattofManchester

Good pundit? No. Interesting? Definitely.
Put him next to Mourinho and you've got one giving you an analysis and the other being blunt yet slightly entertaining.

redmanx

Keane speaks as he played, direct and to the point. Ive no idea if hes a "good pundit" or not, I cant be bothered with being told what a player should have or shouldnt have done, hindsights a wonderful thing, so I never listen to any pundit on BBC, ITV or Sky. I like Paddy Crerand on MUTV because hes hilariously biased and very entertaining; Lou Macari is good too.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Definitely agree he and Gary make a good team together. Carragher is a good pundit on his own but he is useless when he is partnered up with the two of them, better when it's just him and Gary.

Luke1995

So, do you guys think the club got footage of him commentatting that famous Middlesborough game or was everything destroyed ?

Luke1995

I believe it was destroyed on fergies orders. Keane maintains if it was so bad, just play the tape
It's sad that to this day Keane dislikes Fergie. Even after Fergie had the brain scare, not sure if Keane said anything.

They used to have a fantastic partnership.

Champagne Football

I find Keane hit and miss depending on his mood. If he's angry Keano then he's just gonna have a dig at someone. If he's in flying form then he is articulate, and has a wicked sense of humour with some great timing with funny come backs.