Roy Keane

Nikelesh Reddy

People hate Gary Neville for a lot less than this for things he says on Sky Sports. I wonder if this applies for Keane or if people have different standards.

Don’t hate him,will always respect him for the captain and player that he was.But this feud just seems so pointless....Looa at the way Beckham speaks about SAF...He left the club after having a major fall out with SAF,and yet he sounds so reverential when she speaks of SAF.Maybe Roy could learn a thing or two from Beckham...

SirAF

Ageist
In fairness to Taylor, could you imagine telling Roy Keane no in the flesh!

The better story not in the interview was when he was maybe going to sign Robbie Savage.
But was apparently put off by him leaving a wassssuppp voicemail on his phone![/QUOTE]
Can’t blame the man for that :lol:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I think its more reminding people of how much Keane did for the club. For his time at the club to end the way it did was unfortunate and is punctuated by the continued back and forth between two people who shared that same indomitable will to win and absolute love of the game with a stubbornness, never give up attitude.
Neither Keane or Ferguson were going to back down and Keane had to go. Both of them did everything they did in the best interests of the club but there could only be one manager and Keane overstepped his mark in that regard and Ferguson had to intervene.
Agree, until the end, it was the hip injury that did for Keane, he'd had a bad injury the previous year and was out for a long time and when he did finally came back he wasn't the same player as before, but in a deeper more disciplined role he still more than justified his place in the team, then he had the hip problem and it was made clear to Keane that he needed an operation, and the longer he left it the less likelihood it would be successful, SAF thinking of the club wanted him to get it done straight away, miss the end of that season and be fit for the start of the following season, Keane thinking of himself not the club disagreed and wanted to plod on in pain to the end of the season and have the operation then, and the rest is history.

This is a massive point.

He played a tiny handful of games post United, and then that was it.

I didn't quite get Keane saying Robson and Bruce were treated badly near the end. He of all people should know there's no sentiment at a top achieving team - you don't just play someone in a cup final because they've been a top player.

Robson as Fergie has explained was unlucky to miss out on being one of the two outfield subs, as someone was nursing an injury, so McClair got the nod if I remember correctly?
I don't get that either, whilst is was great to see Robbo finally get his hands on a League winners medal it wouldn't have been a surprise if SAF had moved him on a year, or even two earlier, and Bruce probably got a year extra as well when as a thank you for his club loyalty when it was obvious he was in decline. Don't recall either lad complaining at how they were treated at the end, maybe it was a Captain thing for Keane, rope those two lads and let people think SAF had a problem with all his Captains, God knows, God cares.

OJKernow

Red Legend, no question about it. He was a huge part of the team that dominated English football in the early prem years as well as captaining the most successful period of our clubs history. One of my favourite players that I had the pleasure of seeing in a red shirt.

The guy is a ruthless and stubborn d**k, much the same as Ferguson, which is why they both achieved as much success as they have (Keane as a player and SAF as manager). He can also take things too far and cross the line a lot of the time (like his comments about Walters in the same interview).

There are so many similarities between him and Ferguson, that I don't see how we can put one up on a pedestal, and then tarnish the legacy of the other in the same breath.

It also doesn't surprise me in the slightest to hear that the club treated Keane with such disrespect on his way out, we've seen it countless times over the years, we can be seriously classless at times.

Also, interviewers will always ask him about his relationship with Fergie and exit from United because they know they will make headlines and get great soundbites out of him. I genuinely don't think he walks around hating the club and replaying it all every day of his life, it's just when he's interviewed in settings like this every 6 months or so, it is always going to be the number one topic and we get a fresh load of headlines to talk about.

SirAF

Ageist
I’ve watched the whole thing now, and I certainly don’t have any ill feelings towards him at all.

I understand he’s pissed at the way he was booted out, but I also fully understand and respect that Ferguson was ruthless when given the chance to get rid of what he obviously perceived as a growing problem.

Liking and supporting both of the two most influential United figures in modern times does not have to be mutually exclusive.

That said, I actually think he came across very well in the context of watching the whole thing. He’s obviously smart and got a wicked sense of humour.

Last edited:

Josh 76

Agree, until the end, it was the hip injury that did for Keane, he'd had a bad injury the previous year and was out for a long time and when he did finally came back he wasn't the same player as before, but in a deeper more disciplined role he still more than justified his place in the team, then he had the hip problem and it was made clear to Keane that he needed an operation, and the longer he left it the less likelihood it would be successful, SAF thinking of the club wanted him to get it done straight away, miss the end of that season and be fit for the start of the following season, Keane thinking of himself not the club disagreed and wanted to plod on in pain to the end of the season and have the operation then, and the rest is history.

I don't get that either, whilst is was great to see Robbo finally get his hands on a League winners medal it wouldn't have been a surprise if SAF had moved him on a year, or even two earlier, and Bruce probably got a year extra as well when as a thank you for his club loyalty when it was obvious he was in decline. Don't recall either lad complaining at how they were treated at the end, maybe it was a Captain thing for Keane, rope those two lads and let people think SAF had a problem with all his Captains, God knows, God cares.
Robson did say in his book that he wasn't happy the way he was treated at the end and I've also read somewhere Bruce wasn't too happy either. But they don't keep mentioning it over and over again, probably due to the respect they have for the Club and Fergie. Also as they have both managed over a number of years, they realise that was just the process. Keane on the other hand uses it just to keep up his image of being the hard man.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Robson did say in his book that he wasn't happy the way he was treated at the end and I've also read somewhere Bruce wasn't too happy either. But they don't keep mentioning it over and over again, probably due to the respect they have for the Club and Fergie. Also as they have both managed over a number of years, they realise that was just the process. Keane on the other hand uses it just to keep up his image of being the hard man.
Agree totally with this.
Keane was a terrific player in a terrific part of our history. To keep hearing these grudges and negatives just reduces the memory for me.

He's such a stubborn man, he can't even tell now that he overstepped the mark in that whole video/meeting, even with G Nev right next to him - who is clearly full of respect and almost awe for him still - saying it was horrific!

The bit about not for a second considering contacting the possibly near to the end ill Fergie is an absolute shocker. Especially as he only played about 8 games after leaving United then retired!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Roy Keane is a piece of sh*t.

Fair enough that I'm not a fan of the off pitch person, that doesn't have anything to do with it. What does have to do with it is Keane ending Haalands career in 2001 because he had his feelings hurt.
Ending his career, even though Haaland played another game a few days later!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just watched the full video. The only bit that disappointed me was when he said he hadn't contacted Ferguson during the health issues last year. No idea if Ferguson would have done the same but would have thought that may have at least sparked "Get well" message
He doesn't realise that it's this utter lack of humanity which is essentially why he didn't make a good manager.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
No wonder that myth never dies when fools keep peddling it.
Yep it is annoying. It was even a different knee that finished him. I dare say it didn't help, but it didn't end it.

While you can't condone that challenge, it's hard to think of something stupider to do from Haaland then taunt a player as unhinged as Roy Keane when he's down on the floor with a serious injury. Especially as Keane said Haaland had been niggling and winding him up all game.

It is a little like tormenting a caged Rottweiler, and then be surprised when it savages you when set free.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
People hate Gary Neville for a lot less than this for things he says on Sky Sports. I wonder if this applies for Keane or if people have different standards.

Not sure what poor Daz Ferguson has done to deserve this!
He wasn't one the same class as the famous 92 gang, but he was a decent player, and there were a number of those players who stayed in the squad.

Fergie sold him for goodness sake, it's not like he kept him in there for a decade against all reason!

Suedesi

Don’t hate him,will always respect him for the captain and player that he was.But this feud just seems so pointless....Looa at the way Beckham speaks about SAF...He left the club after having a major fall out with SAF,and yet he sounds so reverential when she speaks of SAF.Maybe Roy could learn a thing or two from Beckham...
Fat chance. Roy is who he is because of his personality, he was a terrible player unless he was 100% switched on, with all the rage, passion, intensity, emotion etc. When he was trying to play without the fire, he just wasn't the same. So, I don't think he can ever switch off.

And for the record, he's correct - Fergie is my football God, but he didn't have United's best interests in mind, all the time. Like when he picked up a fight with Magnier & McManus for example, which is the pivotal moment that let our present bloodsucking owners acquire a significant stake in the club.

AJ10

Someone needs to download him that frozen song.

Suedesi

I’ve watched the whole thing now, and I certainly don’t have any ill feelings towards him at all.

I understand he’s pissed at the way he was booted out, but I also fully understand and respect that Ferguson was ruthless when given the chance to get rid of what he obviously perceived as a growing problem.

Liking and supporting both of the two most influential United figures in modern times does not have to be mutually exclusive.

That said, I actually think he came across very well in the context of watching the whole thing. He’s obviously smart and got a wicked sense of humour.
Yeah, it was a pleasure watching the whole thing. He's got amazing charisma, a devilish wit and comedic timing. It was also great to see the deference Gary Neville was paying him, despite being the more well known pundit. Two former United captains, but one was substantially more a leader than the other.

Class of 63

Sourness
Don't recall that, not saying it didn't happen, but it would have been totally out of character for both of them if they had.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
No more dead to me than Fergie is for the whole horse spunk / takeover / doomed club episode.
It was SAF's arrogant behaviour that led us to the Glazers. Keane is absolutely right.

Bloody good manager though.

lsd

The Oracle
Great response from Jon Walters.

Walters is a mouth who has threatened to beat Keane up for years now and no one is ever going to be interested in anything he has to say unless it's about Keane

Tarrou

Great response from Jon Walters.

Thanks for posting I didn't know his story and wow... that is rough. Fair play to him for talking about it publicly, and he speaks very articulately too. I have no idea why Roy would want to get involved in any of that, surely his football beef with Walters bare no relation whatsoever.

Moshe Dayan

Supports
Tottenham
I find his total honesty refreshing.

It's also hilarious how everyone is literally sh!t scared of him!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Fergie sold him for goodness sake, it's not like he kept him in there for a decade against all reason!
Yes, odd thing to single out.

He only got a handful of starts for United, most of which in the first half of the famous '93 season, Fergie' s first title winning campaign. So, he was hardly played at the expense of results.

And then he was moved on when it became apparent that he wasn't good enough to be part of what had, by then, turned into a great team.

Not exactly a case of blatant, detrimental nepotism.

GBBQ

Meh, both men have their flaws but its exactly those self righteous personalities that made united so successful during their time together. If this fall out is the ultimate cost of the treble et al then so be it. I doubt either man actually loses sleep over the other and both have taken pot shots in whatever form over the years.

So Keane is not dead to me but I definitely cringe every time I see a video where he's having a go at someone. Its pathetic and he's clearly a very bitter individual. He's still my all time favourite player though.

SirAF

Ageist
Walters is a mouth who has threatened to beat Keane up for years now and no one is ever going to be interested in anything he has to say unless it's about Keane
This.

TRUERED89

Roy Keane is a piece of sh*t.

Fair enough that I'm not a fan of the off pitch person, that doesn't have anything to do with it. What does have to do with it is Keane ending Haalands career in 2001 because he had his feelings hurt.
Oh come off it, this has been proven false a million times, Keane smashed him in the right knee. The career ending injury was to his left knee so give it a rest! Haaland said this himself, but don't take my word for it, Google is your friend!

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Six months after leaving United for Celtic he retired on medical advice, yet the way some are defending him in here against SAF you'd have thought SAF forced him out in his pomp.
If there hadnt been a fallout I think he would have continued playing on til his leg fell off for Fergie and Utd.
Don't think he'd run through walls for Celtic.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I find his total honesty refreshing.

It's also hilarious how everyone is literally sh!t scared of him!
Thoroughly enjoyed the interview as well. With all the focus on fall outs, he must have been an incredible player and personality to have your side of the battle.

stevoc

His comments on Walters seem to have been blown out of proportion. From what i've read some papers have edited what he actually said to make it sound worse. What he did say wasn't great but the fact he trailed off half way through from what he was going to say indicates he knew he was being harsh and maybe crossing a line. Keane's not some emotionless monster, i seen an interview with him before where someone asked him about his dog dying and he welled up a bit himself.

It's obvious he doesn't like Walters, that can make you say shit sometimes that you regret later.

SirAF

Ageist
His comments on Walters seem to have been blown out of proportion. From what i've read some papers have edited what he actually said to make it sound worse. What he did say wasn't great but the fact he trailed off half way through from what he was going to say indicates he knew he was being harsh and maybe crossing a line. Keane's not some emotionless monster, i seen an interview with him before where someone asked him about his dog dying and he welled up a bit himself.

It's obvious he doesn't like Walters, that can make you say shit sometimes that you regret later.
I watched the whole thing and found the controversy to be blow out of all proportions yeah.

TRUERED89

I watched the whole thing and found the controversy to be blow out of all proportions yeah.
He actually complements SAF a couple times if you watch the full 2+ hours, but that wasn't what was spread through the media. But tbh after not letting up when SAF's health was mentioning, that was quite startling.

Denis79

Which midfielder that Keane played with was better than him? I too believe Robson was better (although only just) but you don't mean Bryan. So who? Beckham? Butt? Ince? Veron? Unless you're counting Giggs as a mid, I struggle to see who you could make a case for if not Scholes.
Robson was absolutely fantastic, best we've had but I'm biased since he was a childhood hero to me.

Reiver

I still love Keane. Definitely don't agree with everything he says but most punditry is so boring, he definitely keeps things interesting. It's the mentality of blunt honesty verging on coming across as a bit of a psycho that shaped him as a player and made him a legend for us.
His comments about SAF are probably true. Comments about Walter's may seem cruel but people make cruel comments all the time. He's just done it publicly.

Class of 63

Sourness
Yes, odd thing to single out.

He only got a handful of starts for United, most of which in the first half of the famous '93 season, Fergie' s first title winning campaign. So, he was hardly played at the expense of results.

And then he was moved on when it became apparent that he wasn't good enough to be part of what had, by then, turned into a great team.

Not exactly a case of blatant, detrimental nepotism.
Darren was a good footballer but he lacked the pace and strength to compete at the top level, but he a great left foot, and for the part he, alongside Dion Dublin and Choccy McClair and David May played in the development of the Class of 92 lads in the Reserves he more than deserved the first-team appearances he made.

And if it was all about nepotism for SAF why didn't he find a a way to get his other Son, Jason, into the first-team squad because for a time he was smashing them in for fun in the 'A' and 'B' teams when Darren was in the Reserves.

Class of 63

Sourness
If there hadnt been a fallout I think he would have continued playing on til his leg fell off for Fergie and Utd.
Don't think he'd run through walls for Celtic.
He might have done but he wouldn't have been doing anybody any favours and it would have been painful to watch, and as a man from Cork he'd said numerous times he would love to play for Celtic I just think his hip injury got the better of him, he was probably in agony just jogging around the pitch and decided to call it quits. But I think in his head when he moved to Celtic he expected to play on for another 2 or 3 years at least, then move into Coaching/Management.

stevoc

He might have done but he wouldn't have been doing anybody any favours and it would have been painful to watch, and as a man from Cork he'd said numerous times he would love to play for Celtic I just think his hip injury got the better of him, he was probably in agony just jogging around the pitch and decided to call it quits. But I think in his head when he moved to Celtic he expected to play on for another 2 or 3 years at least, then move into Coaching/Management.
I'm not sure he did mate, his this Q&A he said that he thought at the start of the 05/06 season that it would be his last. Maybe he thought he could drag that out in Scotland but as you say his hip seemed to be really bothering him late in his career. He lost a lot of his mobility and he was what 35 wasn't he?