Is Scott McTominay a better footballer than Conor Gallagher?

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Both are not a signing that will take a team to the next level. But both are ok squad options I guess.

Im not sure who I would take out of the 2, McTom is in his prime years now whereas Gallagher's got a few years before he gets there.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Gallagher and Maguire for me are painfully average. I don't understand how big clubs (Chelsea and United) play them. More baffling that a highly talented team such as England start them. My brain can't fathom it.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Gallagher and Maguire for me are painfully average. I don't understand how big clubs (Chelsea and United) play them. More baffling that a highly talented team such as England start them. My brain can't fathom it.
Well for England its quite simple , its Southgate.

But, look, Maguire has generally performed well for England and was a prominent part in Southgate's revived England side a few years back but his time has come.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I'd use Gallagher in big games and just make him man mark the opposing playmaker or threat. The best thing about him is his athletic prowess, stamina and energy he can bring to a midfield. McT is best in that offensive role where he can pop up in pockets of space to score and the midfield of Gilmour and McGinn allows it. Different roles really where McT operates as the Bellingham and Gallagher operates as the McGinn.

Ekeke

He's better but has similar problems. McTom has his goals this season to paper over some of the cracks

McTominay

The middle section where the team has the ball are low. Simple as that

The bottom section where the team doesn't have the ball is also low, but then you have clearing the ball out of the box and winning the ball in the air where he does well. So low when the ball isnt in the air or crossed into the box and good when the ball is put into his box and he can help get it out.

Gallagher

Gallagher on the other hand, the middle section where the team has the ball is closer to decent. Nothing amazing but a clear improvement over McTominay.

The bottom section where the team doesn't have the ball he's decent winning the ball with the ball on the floor and not good at getting into his own box to clear or win the ball in the air like McTominay

So its pretty easy. Gallagher is better when the ball is on the floor and in general play but isnt outstanding himself. He's better at winning the ball when the ball is on the floor too but isnt outstanding there either. But McTominay is better at getting a goal and in the air.

Both players are average to lower technically and are good runners and athletes.

Bobski

He's better but has similar problems. McTom has his goals this season to paper over some of the cracks

McTominay

The middle section where the team has the ball are low. Simple as that

The bottom section where the team doesn't have the ball is also low, but then you have clearing the ball out of the box and winning the ball in the air where he does well. So low when the ball isnt in the air or crossed into the box and good when the ball is put into his box and he can help get it out.

Gallagher

Gallagher on the other hand, the middle section where the team has the ball is closer to decent. Nothing amazing but a clear improvement over McTominay.

The bottom section where the team doesn't have the ball he's decent winning the ball with the ball on the floor and not good at getting into his own box to clear or win the ball in the air like McTominay

So its pretty easy. Gallagher is better when the ball is on the floor and in general play but isnt outstanding himself. He's better at winning the ball when the ball is on the floor too but isnt outstanding there either. But McTominay is better at getting a goal and in the air.

Both players are average to lower technically and are good runners and athletes.
Pull up Mainoo's stats, he looks by far the weakest of the 3, in reality not so much. 5th Percentile for progressive passing, compared to McT's 10th. Cas in the 78th. Interesting but hardly a perfect representation of a player would be how I would frame FBREF, very good at assessing volume but not quality or the impact of tactical instructions on tendencies.

Last edited:

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
It says a lot that whenever anyone talks about Gallagher's best assets they talk about his work rate, energy, commitment, stamina, pressing and so on. He's a very limited player on the ball and him charging around can even be a detriment to a team's shape. Not good enough to be starting for England that's for sure.

Ekeke

Pull up Mainoo's stats, he looks by far the weakest of the 3, in reality not so much. 5th Percentile for progressive passing, compared to McT's 10th. Cas in the 78th. Interesting but hardly a perfect representation of a player would be how I would frame FBREF, very good at assessing volume but not quality or the impact of tactical instructions on tendencies.
Mainoo is 18. The end