g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Is there anyone left who wants to defend lvg now?

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Are we ignoring the fact that we have two wingers in Young and Valencia that Van Gaal refuses to play on the wing? If it was so important to him, surely he'd have played one if them out on the right.
You do realise that when we did play them there they were shit? They have been 100% better in defence than attack.

Even then why would you use a winger who crosses the ball like young & valencia with a striker up front like martial & rooney =/

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
But you said, Mata's position is critical because it is affecting every other position. In your own words you said, its a position needed for us to win against the likes of norwich.

Surely, that must have been addressed if it was that important before anything else??
Maybe the right person wasnt available. Like my previous post- you cant just play young or valencia at RM & expect it to be any benefit to a striker like martial.

bleedred

He is the best option right now including mourinho.

You do realise mourinho hardly played loic remy - what makes you think he will play anyone like martial up front- or infact have any use of half this squad?

The title looks impossible, we are out the CL, lets try recover something & atleast get top 4 to make do with this season rather than hiring a manager that just got fired :lol:.

He should leave at the end of the season for not improving performances & hire a manager that has actually done well & can do well with this squad.
Recover something?. How?. If results don't keep improving, do you just want to write off the season

Who is this mystery manager then?.

POF

How am i a WUM?

All it is is that i belive a different manager will be able to manage van gaal's squad better than van gaal. Simple. I believe the likes of martial, shaw, memphis, peireira even our reserve footballers that van gaal has utilised can reach heights with a manager who does things differently.

We either fire him now & start over again or we continue now with possesion football & target a possesiom football playing manager like beisla or guardiola. For that to happen, firing him in January does nothing at all. Let him fill the gaps we can all see.

Clubs are losing all over the place to all teams except villa so no i dont just pick norwhich out as some crisis point. :annoyed:
I really don't understand this point. Firstly, I don't think there is any chance that either Guardiola or Bielsa will be the next United manager. Secondly, even if they are, who is to say they will rate any of the players United have spent £250m on? Henry was not successful under Pep at Barca. Would he build the attack around Martial?

Having a manager on a 3 year contract rebuild a squad for an as yet unknown manager is a ludicrous idea. Either the club have a ridiculous plan or the next manager is Giggs (another ridiculous plan). It's really hard to see Giggs play such a possession oriented game. So where is the continuity there? I actually think Jose to Giggs is a more natural progression.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I respect Manchester United supporters who do stand with him.

He has lost me. He has betrayed our values. There are many who would want him sacked even in the unlikely event we did win the title playing football like this. I don't blame them.

When he is gone it will be like a toothache ending.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
For 3 windows??
1st season was nothing but getting in to top 4. Whilst it's disappointing that our performances haven't been particularly better - the squad is younger & ultimately has more excuses than the one before. I dont think his philosophy even touched us first year. Players like falcao & di maria are so different to the ones you see currently on the pitch.

This is the first year i think he has actually become to influence the team directly & i think it's become a regiment with a small squad of tired & injured players.

Whether you belive what i say or not- check it out in this perspective.

If he is building a team that has 60% possesion a game but ultimately aren't using that possession to their advantage.. We can just go find a manager who knows how to utilise possesion in a more attacking way.

Does not mean that the basics or even defensive side of the game isn't important. Stage 1 is van gaal & stage 2 would be an attacking possession based manager like guardiola or beisla.

I dont see why we should be a club that fires managers every 3 years on the quest to success. We need a scheme & a plan- that's what makes bayern & barcelona unstoppable because the squad is so defined whilst you have mourinho at madrid one season & benitez the next.

Build something. Arsenal been mediocre for 9 years- whilst we lacllk any sort of perspecitve of a young team & cant be patient over 1& half years.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Holy god damn shit, I don't even know where to start with that post, unselfish ffs , really :houllier:, you sound like the type of person that finds his gf bouncing up n down on someone else's dick and believes them when they say she tripped and fell!
& you sound like the type to stare at my GF even when you walk beside your wife:eek:

bleedred

1st season was nothing but getting in to top 4. Whilst it's disappointing that our performances haven't been particularly better - the squad is younger & ultimately has more excuses than the one before. I dont think his philosophy even touched us first year. Players like falcao & di maria are so different to the ones you see currently on the pitch.
So, The idea of mata playing on the RW didnt affect the team last year, yet why would it affect the team this year?.

Him on the RW was one of the crucial players when we did play well towards march/April.

So the argument that mata on the RW is affecting the whole team and inturn is responsible for us not winning is bullshit.

This is the first year i think he has actually become to influence the team directly & i think it's become a regiment with a small squad of tired & injured players.

Whether you belive what i say or not- check it out in this perspective.

If he is building a team that has 60% possesion a game but ultimately aren't using that possession to their advantage.. We can just go find a manager who knows how to utilise possesion in a more attacking way.

Does not mean that the basics or even defensive side of the game isn't important. Stage 1 is van gaal & stage 2 would be an attacking possession based manager like guardiola or beisla.

I dont see why we should be a club that fires managers every 3 years on the quest to success. We need a scheme & a plan- that's what makes bayern & barcelona unstoppable because the squad is so defined whilst you have mourinho at madrid one season & benitez the next.

Build something. Arsenal been mediocre for 9 years- whilst we lacllk any sort of perspecitve of a young team & cant be patient over 1& half years.
Was that the plan all along?. Then why would LVG come and claim we will win titles under him?

Do you believe the club have stage 2 planned?. Cause for most of us, it looks like they haven't a clue whats going on?.

What if the next man coming in doesn't follow the "philosphy". Do we wait till we find one?

Arsenal have never were out of Top 4, never got knocked out of CL group. Yes we said they were mediocre and rightly so. Right now we are worse of Arsenal of the past 10 years.

SalfordRed1960

I respect Manchester United supporters who do stand with him.

He has lost me. He has betrayed our values. There are many who would want him sacked even in the unlikely event we did win the title playing football like this. I don't blame them.

When he is gone it will be like a toothache ending.
Maybe United had a toothache,and LVG is the dentist. Treating the infected area and it is slowly healing but just painful at the moment, but we are just impatient as we want the pain to go now, not in the future. ;)

bleedred

Maybe United had a toothache,and LVG is the dentist. Treating the infected area and it is slowly healing but just painful at the moment, but we are just impatient as we want the pain to go now, not in the future. ;)
Or he is a homeopathic dentist and the placebo effect of the first season is wearing off and we are starting to feel the real pain.

Red Dreams

I have watched a lot of matches. But I'm sure others may have seen a lot more. My jaw dropped seeing the first 20 minutes of the Arsenal defeat. But I was completely numb watching the Bournemouth and Norwich matches.

I honestly could not see those matches being anything other than incompetence by the manager. The only other possibility was he was sabotaging the games so he could get fired. I believe @Stretford End Phil mentioned he has done stuff like this at Bayern. I did not know this until he mentioned I must say.

I simply don't trust the man.

But that is me. :)

SalfordRed1960

I have watched a lot of matches. But I'm sure others may have seen a lot more. My jaw dropped seeing the first 20 minutes of the Arsenal defeat. But I was completely numb watching the Bournemouth and Norwich matches.

I honestly could not see those matches being anything other than incompetence by the manager. The only other possibility was he was sabotaging the games so he could get fired. I believe @Stretford End Phil mentioned he has done stuff like this at Bayern. I did not know this until he mentioned I must say.

I simply don't trust the man.

But that is me. :)
Yes, Arsenal was bad as the plan did not work. They ripped us to shreds because we did not appear to be ready for them. Either LVG or whoever the briefing coach was for that game really screwed up.

Bournemouth was a bit unusual as it was the week we lost practically the whole of our defense, and schmidfield. The senior players let the youngsters down. I really do think that the cause was more the players than LVG.

Norwich did to us what we had done to so many teams earlier in the season, score on the few chance they created. I didn't hear the media shouting about the number of shots on target they had. I think we as a team have an issue with our defensive cover when we have corners. Norwich, Leicester, Chelsea and a few others have caused us problems from our own corners. That is an LVG or coaching issue.

I personally think LVG wants to go out with a bang. I am looking forward to next season already. I have a feeling I may be in a group of 1 though.

NK86

The first transfer window was about getting any player available who vould sit a year out the CL. So we bring in falcao & Di maria, herrera & luke shaw. Not only does RVP start waining that year but he continues to do so in turkey right now. We all know about di maria & falcao. Shaw & Herrera have been much better.

In my eyes the philosophy took a back seat in the first year. He didn't try to do anything out the ordinary (even the likes of blind didnt play at CB).

Then the 2nd year comes he buys memphis, schneirdlin, martial, schweinsteiger who all fit his philosophy down to a tee; with the latter in my eyes for experience in teaching a midfielder (who we are yet to see).

By looking at his 'philosophy' the players other than the superstars (in particular bale) that should be targeted are :
Sane (left footed RW/ Striker)
Berardi (Left footed RW)
Laporte( left footed ball playing CB)
Stones(right footed ball playing CB)
Butland (homegrown keeper incase de gea leaves)

& most importantly a physical striker to become the focal point. We also need a midfielder but i haven't a clue who he could be targetting.

I want van gaal to stay because i'm sure the majority of these players will be targeted and will complete the squad. It will be an ample squad for someone like guardiola to take over.
So basically he needs to spend another 250 mil to get us competitive. If despite that we are not competitive, you can then come in here and again claim he is 'building for the future'.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Yes, Arsenal was bad as the plan did not work. They ripped us to shreds because we did not appear to be ready for them. Either LVG or whoever the briefing coach was for that game really screwed up.

Bournemouth was a bit unusual as it was the week we lost practically the whole of our defense, and schmidfield. The senior players let the youngsters down. I really do think that the cause was more the players than LVG.

Norwich did to us what we had done to so many teams earlier in the season, score on the few chance they created. I didn't hear the media shouting about the number of shots on target they had. I think we as a team have an issue with our defensive cover when we have corners. Norwich, Leicester, Chelsea and a few others have caused us problems from our own corners. That is an LVG or coaching issue.

I personally think LVG wants to go out with a bang. I am looking forward to next season already. I have a feeling I may be in a group of 1 though.
You are not.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
You do realise that when we did play them there they were shit? They have been 100% better in defence than attack.

Even then why would you use a winger who crosses the ball like young & valencia with a striker up front like martial & rooney =/
Not true. Although I'm not a big fan of Young's, he has been much better attacking than defending if you look at the past year. The truth is LvG stuck with Memphis on the wing for too long as his form dipped. If Young had started more matches we might have a couple of more points. Just another mistake of many by LvG.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
Not true. Although I'm not a big fan of Young's, he has been much better attacking than defending if you look at the past year. The truth is LvG stuck with Memphis on the wing for too long as his form dipped. If Young had started more matches we might have a couple of more points. Just another mistake of many by LvG.
Did you watch today's match. Young has been class when utilised in defensive situations.

Who do you expect us to cross the ball to btw - say If we used wingers like valencia & young who cross the ball rather than wing forwards such as martial memphis & mata.

Martial isnt that good at heading neither is rooney.

mu77

What makes you say that ? We don't cross that much and yet 2 of his 7 goals were headers.

Edit: Rooney's only goal in the CL group stage was also a header.
this - he scored a great diving header in CL and yesterday's goal was very well taken.

Red Dreams

Is that not what people thought when moyes left?

Maybe it's actually more difficult than just sacking the manager and appointing a new messiah?
I had high hopes last season. But van Gaal has deteriorated.

We were far from impressive even in the last two matches. I don't see us winning the title and doubt us even getting top 4 with him.

I hope I am wrong.

We must play football in the tradition this club was built on. We lost our way in the past and are doing so again. Once we find the courage to play the United Way, we will win trophies again. The only Messiah is the United Spirit.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
My worst nightmare would be for Giggs to take over, I would keep LVG for now and hope we can get either Guardiola or Mourinho in the summer.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
We must play football in the tradition this club was built on. We lost our way in the past and are doing so again. Once we find the courage to play the United Way, we will win trophies again. The only Messiah is the United Spirit.
Well said

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Or lvg is the abscess, rotting to the very core and it needs removed

Sylar

Maybe LVG took the line "strikers win you games, defences win you championships" line too seriously and misunderstood it.

R'hllor

I dont think it was ever a question of defending LvG,no one can say that we dont look lost in final 3rd,that players see those cracks in defenses enough while they shift ball during possession periods,that our current football is entertaining.Its just a question of different fans expectations and whats where on their priority list.

Gasolin

I really wonder what they train sometimes. Ok you can slow down the ball to take a look at the situation but the other players, without the ball, what prevents them from running into the box and calling for the ball? Why not have one, or 2 players run to force the opposite team to track them, and pass the ball to other players who would have now more space?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
The half-time scores in mufc's last 10 home games:
0-0
0-0
0-0
0-0
0-0
0-0
0-1
0-0
0-0
0-0
I just cannot understand how on earth anyone can defend this.

That's just the numbers. If you'd watched most of those games, most of them have been dreary, slow, pedestrian football. We make every team look like they have Baresi, Maldini, Nesta and Thuram in defence.