Is there anyone left who wants to defend lvg now?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I'd get rid of Van Gaal and bring in Mourinho. I think we'd get a boost with him coming in, we'd finish top 4 and win a cup.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Why do you think the board won't do that? Sensible answer please, because they obviously are not idiots.

RedorDead21

Because every now and again a player does something on his own intuition, shows a bit of confidence and something happens. LVG is instilling a style of play that requires players to think. It is no surprise that the players who have grown up in the PL are finding this style hard to adopt. When we have played at pace we have looked quite good.
I'm not quite as down on LVG as most but fairs fair he is the one that needs to instill the speed in our play we seen today. If we lost games playing like we did today 9/10 he'd get the benefit of the doubt. Its when he allows that to leave our game and we lose that he will find he's in an impossible position at this club. I want to give him this season but I cannot argue against those who want to see an end to the slow play. Thats not acceptable at this club, losing and trying everything is acceptable to me.

DocRockter

We are a unique club for that reason I still believe that we don't make hesitant decisions and fight through this mess.. SAF always kept the long-term success the most important for us and he was being criticized because of it every time we hit a rough patch.. "Buy that, sell that, play that, bench that"... The main thing is that the fans are standing behind Van Gaal NOW when it's hard and not only when we are demolishing teams left and right. I'm too young to remember how things were in 89-90 with SAF but I would like to believe that the majority were backing him in that difficult period.

Van Gaal has proved that he is capable of turning this around and after 18 months, will give the helms to someone else and by then the club has raised yet another bunch of world-class players who are ready to win every year. That is the focus I hope the board still has. Now let's beat Swansea and get this thing on the right track again.

Aporkalypse

Well I guess as long as we show a bit of fight for thirty minutes against Swansea he'll be firmly back in the managers seat....

SalfordRed1960

I'm not quite as down on LVG as most but fairs fair he is the one that needs to instill the speed in our play we seen today. If we lost games playing like we did today 9/10 he'd get the benefit of the doubt. Its when he allows that to leave our game and we lose that he will find he's in an impossible position at this club. I want to give him this season but I cannot argue against those who want to see an end to the slow play. Thats not acceptable at this club, losing and trying everything is acceptable to me.
I do not believe anyone is supporting the slow play. The bashers want to paint a picture of LVG enforcing it, the fanboys, want to paint a picture of the players not being confident. So we all agree that slow play is shite.

Even in Fergies days we often heard him at half-time talk about the players needing to up the pace. So it is pretty clear that it is not always the manager enforcing it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why do you think the board won't do that? Sensible answer please, because they obviously are not idiots.
In fairness how do you know they're not idiots? As long as the financial side of the club is fine I wouldn't put it past them to not have the foresight to see that if the bad performances continue the club will be fecked. Plenty of board members at other organisations are drooling morons.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
They hired Moyes over Mourinho...if that doesn't make them idiots then how about the fact they seem to persist with LVG even after he got beat by Norwich at home

acnumber9

Because every now and again a player does something on his own intuition, shows a bit of confidence and something happens. LVG is instilling a style of play that requires players to think. It is no surprise that the players who have grown up in the PL are finding this style hard to adopt. When we have played at pace we have looked quite good.
There was only three who grew up playing in England. Many of them being our best performers. Unless we count the keeper. That doesn't fly as an excuse. Especially when he signed half of those players on the pitch.

Sam

All the evidence over the past 2 and a half years would suggest that actually, they are.

Djemba-Djemba

I haven't been impressed with anything Woodward has done in a footballing sense, he's done some pretty idiotic things himself.

I think they're wary of Mourinho and look I don't blame them. What happened with Chelsea was very odd, and there are elements to him that don't suit Utd. I just think we're desperate now, I've never thought we'd win anything with Van Gaal but now I don't think we'll even be in the top 4 if we stick with him.

The performances under him have been almost completely shit since he took over, although the results were decent. Now the results have taken a turn for the worse there is just nothing that suggests he should still be here. He's offering us nothing.

RedorDead21

We are a unique club for that reason I still believe that we don't make hesitant decisions and fight through this mess.. SAF always kept the long-term success the most important for us and he was being criticized because of it every time we hit a rough patch.. "Buy that, sell that, play that, bench that"... The main thing is that the fans are standing behind Van Gaal NOW when it's hard and not only when we are demolishing teams left and right. I'm too young to remember how things were in 89-90 with SAF but I would like to believe that the majority were backing him in that difficult period.

Van Gaal has proved that he is capable of turning this around and after 18 months, will give the helms to someone else and by then the club has raised yet another bunch of world-class players who are ready to win every year. That is the focus I hope the board still has. Now let's beat Swansea and get this thing on the right track again.
Amen. Though a manager turning around this kinda predicament at a top club I canny recall. He's in a bad spot and if he does somehow recover I think he will get most fans back onside for the sheer unlikeliness if nothing else!

SalfordRed1960

They hired Moyes over Mourinho...if that doesn't make them idiots then how about the fact they seem to persist with LVG even after he got beat by Norwich at home
Is that the Maureen who just lost his job for being shite this season? No guarantees with any manager. Jose has absolutely no experience of building a squad. Why you so sure he would have built one at United.

Will Absolute

All the evidence over the past 2 and a half years would suggest that actually, they are.
They're not idiots. It's just that our decision-makers - the Glazers and Woodward - don't happen to know anything about football. Which is a bit of a handicap if you're running a football club.

Shortly after Fergie left, I remember saying there was a serious structural problem at the club - a vacuum of football expertise at the top. Nothing has changed since.

Spoony

The People's President
They're not idiots. It's just that our decision-makers - the Glazers and Woodward - don't happen to know anything about football. Which is a bit of a handicap if you're running a football club.

Shortly after Fergie left, I remember saying there was a serious structural problem at the club - a vacuum of football expertise at the top. Nothing has changed since.

Hmmm, thing is I wonder if they feel luck to have had Fergie in charge. Success on the pitch = commercial success, and they certainly enjoyed that with Fergie.

WyoManU

Well, considering we are competing in a football league, you would think having people knowledgeable with the game would be a good thing. My biggest complaint with the Glazers was never the debt or that they were American...it was that they didn't understand the first thing about the sport. They are businessmen, for better or worse. The really sad truth is that they are sitting on a gold mine. We have massive contracts that will run for quite a while even if we are 10th place every season. Then, if they wanted to sell, the brand would still be considered massive and they could convince some dirty oil sheikh to take it off their hands for billions. I'm sure that they want us to do well, but in all fairness, they are more concerned with their own wallets than with how the club does. They can sell us for a major profit at any point without a problem.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
I agree. Mourinho is 2 years too late.

Seems most want LVG sacked out of vengeance vs what is the right thing to do to guarantee us top 4. In my opinion, that's backing him in the January transfer window to get in attacking firepower that will convert possession into goals
Exactly.

I think van gaal's purchases have been fantastic & i would let him go unchallenged at least until the january window and complete the squad to the best of his ability. If its no good then fair do's let him go.

You cant really give him all the blame when there is players like fellaini, rooney & mata trying to play possesion football. Its clearly nothing to do with his long term plan.

Will Absolute

Hmmm, thing is I wonder if they feel lucky to have had Fergie in charge. Success on the pitch = commercial success, and they certainly enjoyed that with Fergie.
Yeah. They lucked out with Fergie - nothing to do but sit by the pool in their Florida mansions and watch the relentless upward climb of revenues and valuations. I wonder if that history has made them complacent. Do they fully understand that success is not inevitable, that even long term the club can lose as well as win.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
He's had 3 transfer windows to do that, and he failed. Even good forward players he brought he has/had no idea what to do with. He had no idea how to use Di Maria - player he bought, he sold Nani, van Persie, Hernandez, all capable of scoring goals, and Martial, our only goal threat is recently moved to a fecking right wing position. What exactly makes you think he will bring good goalscorer in January, let alone make any use of him?
The first transfer window was about getting any player available who vould sit a year out the CL. So we bring in falcao & Di maria, herrera & luke shaw. Not only does RVP start waining that year but he continues to do so in turkey right now. We all know about di maria & falcao. Shaw & Herrera have been much better.

In my eyes the philosophy took a back seat in the first year. He didn't try to do anything out the ordinary (even the likes of blind didnt play at CB).

Then the 2nd year comes he buys memphis, schneirdlin, martial, schweinsteiger who all fit his philosophy down to a tee; with the latter in my eyes for experience in teaching a midfielder (who we are yet to see).

By looking at his 'philosophy' the players other than the superstars (in particular bale) that should be targeted are :
Sane (left footed RW/ Striker)
Berardi (Left footed RW)
Laporte( left footed ball playing CB)
Stones(right footed ball playing CB)
Butland (homegrown keeper incase de gea leaves)

& most importantly a physical striker to become the focal point. We also need a midfielder but i haven't a clue who he could be targetting.

I want van gaal to stay because i'm sure the majority of these players will be targeted and will complete the squad. It will be an ample squad for someone like guardiola to take over.

RedorDead21

I do not believe anyone is supporting the slow play. The bashers want to paint a picture of LVG enforcing it, the fanboys, want to paint a picture of the players not being confident. So we all agree that slow play is shite.

Even in Fergies days we often heard him at half-time talk about the players needing to up the pace. So it is pretty clear that it is not always the manager enforcing it.
Oh I dont belive LVG is saying play slow, dont create anything, only pass sideways....I just think he is saying don't lose the ball, stay in this area etc....He says his philosophy has evolved and it needs to evolve again very quickly. I believe he's better than all of us but he's the one who needs to prove us wrong right now. And he's made a hard case to back him even though I still am!!

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Club is securing it's own mediocrity right now, I have little faith that they actually truly give a shít about the success of the club as long as the financial part keeps ticking along. Desperate stuff.
The success of the club on the field is linked to it's financial success. They go hand in hand.

RedorDead21

The success of the club on the field is linked to it's financial success. They go hand in hand.
But if changing managers frequently is the key to that..something say real and Chelsea have do for said success...but also don't breed youngsters through.....I do not want that. I want patience, building, and that creation to out win those teams which we have proven before it can.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
For managers outside of England to be competitive with an English side in Europe, and to implement a footballing philosophy developed abroad is a difficult challenge. The team is adapting, Louis is adapting. It hasn't caught fire. I keep expecting (even now) that a day will come when it all clicks, and this United hammers somebody, blows them out of the water. There was a moment earlier in the season, remember the run of very hard fixtures in the autumn? Then when a run of seemingly less challenging matches comes along it all falls apart. Why are we less effective against lower ranked teams?

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
For managers outside of England to be competitive with an English side in Europe, and to implement a footballing philosophy developed abroad is a difficult challenge. The team is adapting, Louis is adapting. It hasn't caught fire. I keep expecting (even now) that a day will come when it all clicks, and this United hammers somebody, blows them out of the water. There was a moment earlier in the season, remember the run of very hard fixtures in the autumn? Then when a run of seemingly less challenging matches comes along it all falls apart. Why are we less effective against lower ranked teams?
You know people are now coming across reasons to as we shouldn't have hired van gaal when i expect the ones to have known the type of manager and scheme he commits to be the ones with a little more patience.

His persona might seem different to a a guy completely committed because he is a very unselfish guy in terms of how he handles success.

You look at it this way- you have memphis & martial & shaw that he has brought in; is he ever really going to see them come in to any sort of fruitation on a 3 year contract? I'm sure he knows he is a completely average when managing a club day to day but he has been fantastic at building squads from day one.

I want to see him finish it because- whether he wins something or not all it needs is what you said- someone willing to adapt it to a more english type of football.

The improvement is there to see in the squad even if its not on the table. There's people crying about hernandez leaving when we have bloody martial upfront.. How awesome is he & how awesome must it be for him to progress having almost no competition & getting consistent gameplay throughout 3 different positions.

The expectations are too high on van gaal and that is the supporters fault than the managers & i say that because i believe we were another year of moyes of understanding just how hard football would be without SAF in charge.

Kostur

海尔的老板
You know people are now coming across reasons to as we shouldn't have hired van gaal when i expect the ones to have known the type of manager and scheme he commits to be the ones with a little more patience.

His persona might seem different to a a guy completely committed because he is a very unselfish guy in terms of how he handles success.

You look at it this way- you have memphis & martial & shaw that he has brought in; is he ever really going to see them come in to any sort of fruitation on a 3 year contract? I'm sure he knows he is a completely average when managing a club day to day but he has been fantastic at building squads from day one.

I want to see him finish it because- whether he wins something or not all it needs is what you said- someone willing to adapt it to a more english type of football.

The improvement is there to see in the squad even if its not on the table. There's people crying about hernandez leaving when we have bloody martial upfront.. How awesome is he & how awesome must it be for him to progress having almost no competition & getting consistent gameplay throughout 3 different positions.

The expectations are too high on van gaal and that is the supporters fault than the managers & i say that because i believe we were another year of moyes of understanding just how hard football would be without SAF in charge.
Yea it's absolutely awesome that we're getting all the pressure on 20 year old kid's shoulders because rest of our strikers (haha here's the thing, bar Rooney we've got fecking none left) are utterly dreadful. What a joy it must be for him.

Shaw wasn't LVG's call, Memephis so far's looking like a con man who got a chance to play for United.

And no, the expectations are not high at all, if anything, they've fallen on their face which is disgraceful in itself.

bleedred

He said it himself that he will win us things before he leaves, even Champions league IIRC. This is a clear case of moving goal posts.

If you say there is an improvement in the sqaud but we don't see it in the pitch, why would that be?.

If Martial was replacement for Hernandez?. Who was for RVP, Falcao and Welbeck?.

So the supporters should not expect a title challenge. What should be the expectation for this season?. Top 4?. At this rate we don't seem to be even getting that?.

Last edited:

bleedred

But if changing managers frequently is the key to that..something say real and Chelsea have do for said success...but also don't breed youngsters through.....I do not want that. I want patience, building, and that creation to out win those teams which we have proven before it can.
Twice in nearly 140 years. In footballing eras which dont exist anymore.

If we are to wait another 25 years for a title, we will become irrelevant.

bleedred

The first transfer window was about getting any player available who vould sit a year out the CL. So we bring in falcao & Di maria, herrera & luke shaw. Not only does RVP start waining that year but he continues to do so in turkey right now. We all know about di maria & falcao. Shaw & Herrera have been much better.

In my eyes the philosophy took a back seat in the first year. He didn't try to do anything out the ordinary (even the likes of blind didnt play at CB).

Then the 2nd year comes he buys memphis, schneirdlin, martial, schweinsteiger who all fit his philosophy down to a tee; with the latter in my eyes for experience in teaching a midfielder (who we are yet to see).

By looking at his 'philosophy' the players other than the superstars (in particular bale) that should be targeted are :
Sane (left footed RW/ Striker)
Berardi (Left footed RW)
Laporte( left footed ball playing CB)
Stones(right footed ball playing CB)
Butland (homegrown keeper incase de gea leaves)

& most importantly a physical striker to become the focal point. We also need a midfielder but i haven't a clue who he could be targetting.

I want van gaal to stay because i'm sure the majority of these players will be targeted and will complete the squad. It will be an ample squad for someone like guardiola to take over.
Do we need these players to beat Norwich at home?

Winrar

so what should be the expectation? if it's top 4 (it should be higher after first season) then we don't even seem to be achieving that now.

spwd

Holy god damn shit, I don't even know where to start with that post, unselfish ffs , really :wenger:, you sound like the type of person that finds his gf bouncing up n down on someone else's dick and believes them when they say she tripped and fell!

bleedred

Yes? Mata on the right playing as a makeshift winger effects more than just his position. It effects the whole team and how the opposition defend agaibs you. When we have a proper RW hugging the touchline- that will have an effect on our ST & LW too.
What a load of bollocks!

He has been playing there ever since he moved to Utd. Even last year he was playing there. How come it was not addressed then in 3, (THREE) transfer windows, if it was so much critical for the setup of our team.

Also, FYI, during the first few months of the season, he was one of our best players.

Do you even think what you are writing?. You say LVG has improved the squad, at the sametime not improved enough to beat the likes of Norwich at home.

Are you on a WUM?

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
What a load of bollocks!

He has been playing there ever since he moved to Utd. Even last year he was playing there. How come it was not addressed then in 3, (THREE) transfer windows, if it was so much critical for the setup of our team.

Also, FYI, during the first few months of the season, he was one of our best players.

Do you even think what you are writing?. You say LVG has improved the squad, at the sametime not improved enough to beat the likes of Norwich at home.

Are you on a WUM?
How am i a WUM?

All it is is that i belive a different manager will be able to manage van gaal's squad better than van gaal. Simple. I believe the likes of martial, shaw, memphis, peireira even our reserve footballers that van gaal has utilised can reach heights with a manager who does things differently.

We either fire him now & start over again or we continue now with possesion football & target a possesiom football playing manager like beisla or guardiola. For that to happen, firing him in January does nothing at all. Let him fill the gaps we can all see.

Clubs are losing all over the place to all teams except villa so no i dont just pick norwhich out as some crisis point. :annoyed:

bleedred

How am i a WUM?

All it is is that i belive a different manager will be able to manage van gaal's squad better than van gaal. Simple. I believe the likes of martial, shaw, memphis, peireira even our reserve footballers that van gaal has utilised can reach heights with a manager who does things differently.

We either fire him now & start over again or we continue now with possesion football & target a possesiom football playing manager like beisla or guardiola. For that to happen, firing him in January does nothing at all. Let him fill the gaps we can all see.

Clubs are losing all over the place to all teams except villa so no i dont just pick norwhich out as some crisis point. :annoyed:
What is the crisis point then in your opinion?

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
What a load of bollocks!

Are you on a WUM?
Also you think a guy who wants to play total football 433 wants a winger like mata in the side long term? :lol:
Mata is lucky that there was other things needed to be sorted out before him. He cant even play as a winger- he plays as an unotherdox RAM.

Santiago_KinderBueno

Santiago Kinder Bannedo
What is the crisis point then in your opinion?
He is the best option right now including mourinho.

You do realise mourinho hardly played loic remy - what makes you think he will play anyone like martial up front- or infact have any use of half this squad?

The title looks impossible, we are out the CL, lets try recover something & atleast get top 4 to make do with this season rather than hiring a manager that just got fired :lol:.

He should leave at the end of the season for not improving performances & hire a manager that has actually done well & can do well with this squad.

bleedred

Also you think a guy who wants to play total football 433 wants a winger like mata in the side long term? :lol:
Mata is lucky that there was other things needed to be sorted out before him. He cant even play as a winger- he plays as an unotherdox RAM.

But you said, Mata's position is critical because it is affecting every other position. In your own words you said, its a position needed for us to win against the likes of norwich.

Yes? Mata on the right playing as a makeshift winger effects more than just his position. It effects the whole team and how the opposition defend agaibs you. When we have a proper RW hugging the touchline- that will have an effect on our ST & LW too.
Surely, that must have been addressed if it was that important before anything else??