Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
What is quality anyway? A team dominates over others like City/Pool? Great “oh my word” goals? Teams trading attacks because defences are rubbish?
I thought Germany-Spain was a quality game, and it had none of these.

Cloud7

Every professional footballer ever: The World Cup is the sport's pinnacle and I dream of winning it and becoming a legend.

Caf: It's Championship level.
The caf is a strange place when it comes to international football. Most players clearly value playing for their countries over their clubs, and you see a level of passion from players in international football that you usually don’t see for their clubs, yet large parts of the caf call it crap and don’t seem to care for it.

MUnchies

It isn't quality for people complaining because, the supposed easy teams are putting up a fight against the big boys.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Every professional footballer ever: The World Cup is the sport's pinnacle and I dream of winning it and becoming a legend.

Caf: It's Championship level.
The Caf undermine every International tournament going, other than the Euro's. I mean, a couple of posters scoffed at the idea of Mane giving a shit about his AFCON medal :lol: Even though he places that way higher than his UCL medal.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
It isn't quality for people complaining because, the supposed easy teams are putting up a fight against the big boys.
Yeah, people kinda wanted the big teams to win all their matches, but it hasn't happened.

The WC rarely give us stomps like in the UCL, where you have billionaire clubs facing clubs with way less money.

I like International football cause Messi and Ronaldo have almost always looked very terrenal in the World Cup.

Last edited:

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
The Caf undermine every International tournament going, other than the Euro's. I mean, a couple of posters scoffed at the idea of Mane giving a shit about his AFCON medal :lol: Even though he places that way higher than his UCL medal.
Many people here complained about the quality of the last 2 Euros because of expansion from 16 to 24 teams.

Amazing Santos

It is boring as feck to watch dross like Qatar and Canada attempt to play football. The top teams are also not that great.

The Premier League is a far higher level of quality and much more entertaining, and can't wait until it comes back.

MUnchies

Yeah, people kinda wanted the big teams to win all their matches, but it hasn't happened.

International football rarely give stomps like in the UCL, where you have billionaire clubs facing clubs with way less money.

I like International football cause Messi and Ronaldo have almost always looked very terrenal in the World Cup.
Exactly

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Winning the AFCON is likely Mane's biggest moment of his career. The biggest moment in his country's football history.

Look at that crowd.

I think for a lot of the players club football is a job you do. While playing for your country means more.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The caf is a strange place when it comes to international football. Most players clearly value playing for their countries over their clubs, and you see a level of passion from players in international football that you usually don’t see for their clubs, yet large parts of the caf call it crap and don’t seem to care for it.
No doubt, I think that's what elevates the world cup over club football, the players put their heart and soul into the game and you can see how much it means to them. And you can't just buy the best players and assemble the team, there is a proper sense of achievement when you win.

Money can never buy this.

Cloud7

No doubt, I think that's what elevates the world cup over club football, the players put their heart and soul into the game and you can see how much it means to them. And you can't just buy the best players and assemble the team, there is a proper sense of achievement when you win.

Money can never buy this.
Yeah but wouldn’t you rather the CL where You can see Real, City, PSG and Bayern battle it out for the millionth year in a row? High quality football and all that.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Yeah but wouldn’t you rather the CL where You can see Real, City, PSG and Bayern battle it out for the millionth year in a row? High quality football and all that.
The CL is getting kinda boring with the same teams going far every year.

The Bosman law and huge money from TV added a lot of imbalance to club football, before semis you have billionaire clubs facing clubs that are working on a budget.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The QF are exciting so far. Big teams still need "luck" to win their games.

Marzo

Yeah, agree with you, that is what makes a World Cup special, it is all about the best team a Country can assemble and not a million dollar club.
You choose the best possible players you can assemble from all over the the world and try get them to play as a team, and see how far you can go….. it’s a knockout tournament!
The passion and emotion on display is really only visible in a World Cup, and what a great way to see some talent, we have never seen before.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
QFs would look like late stage CL games if no upset happens in the next three days… yet one or two upsets at this stage are the story of every WC and pave the “easy way” to the SF for one of the biggest guns. My guess: Japan outrunning Croatia, Switzerland outmuscling Portugal.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Problem is that worlds best players are now playing for 10-15 clubs, and earlier it wasn't like that and they were much more evenly spread.

That's why World Cup was level above everything there was on offer. UEFA has actually managed to make competition stronger than World Cup but at cost of destroying competitiveness around whole continent.

And football when it isn't competitive gets bland and boring. I find it difficult to make myself watch CL most of the time.

I'm also bit bored with comparisons in quality, as if it's something an average fan can spot easily. Mozart has made better music than everything that's being made now, but I don't know many people listening to that. Because that's not what we listen music for.

And it's the same with football. We are not all master tacticians nor is every top level game in Champions League or Premier League a spectacle. In fact, there are numerous stinkers.

And for every Qatar and Canada that somebody has mentioned before, there is also some team like Norwich or Burnley.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I get it in the sense that I don't get behind England anywhere near as much as United and barely ever watch qualifiers, particularly now I live in a different time zone.

But agree completely on the passion, which results in such drama.

One other odd thing is people moaning some of the 'big' teams are out, despite the fact that Belgium, for example, were shite to watch and Morocco fully deserve to have qualified ahead of them.

Some folk live in their own joyless bubbles I guess and each to their own and all that.

phelans shorts

Problem is that worlds best players are now playing for 10-15 clubs, and earlier it wasn't like that and they were much more evenly spread.

That's why World Cup was level above everything there was on offer. UEFA has actually managed to make competition stronger than World Cup but at cost of destroying competitiveness around whole continent.

And football when it isn't competitive gets bland and boring. I find it difficult to make myself watch CL most of the time.

I'm also bit bored with comparisons in quality, as if it's something an average fan can spot easily. Mozart has made better music than everything that's being made now, but I don't know many people listening to that. Because that's not what we listen music for.

And it's the same with football. We are not all master tacticians nor is every top level game in Champions League or Premier League a spectacle. In fact, there are numerous stinkers.

And for every Qatar and Canada that somebody has mentioned before, there is also some team like Norwich or Burnley.
Please. Taylor Swift could write Don Giovanni but Mozart couldn’t write Anti-Hero

KeanoMagicHat

To be honest, the Championship is good quality with plenty of internationals in there. Don’t get me wrong, this tournament is more mid-lower Premier League than Championship but it does always make me laugh as a brush teams/players get tarred with
Yeah, Mitrovic and Toney were ‘Championship level’ until they got promoted and then they were top scorer in the Premier League level. Football is a fickle and competitive game, where players are often on the way up to a higher level, they just needed the exposure, some of these ‘Championship’ players could be in the latter stages of the CL in a few years while some of these ‘elite’ players could go Dele Alli on it.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral

I'm also bit bored with comparisons in quality, as if it's something an average fan can spot easily. Mozart has m

ade better music than everything that's being made now, but I don't know many people listening to that. Because that's not what we listen music for.

Bosman ruling kinda killed the balance in the UCL.

The fact that rich teams can sign foreigners with barely any limit, to replace mediocre national players is a massive advantage over poorer teams if you have the proper scouting.

I remember Inter in 2010 UCL final didn't have a single italian in their starting XI...that was ridiculous.

KeanoMagicHat

Bosman ruling kinda killed the balance in the UCL.

The fact that rich teams can sign foreigners with barely any limit, to replace mediocre national players is a massive advantage over poorer teams if you have the proper scouting.

I remember Inter in 2010 UCL final didn't have a single italian in their starting XI...that was ridiculous.
It also takes away the connection from the teams when that happens, especially when you have clubs owned by oil states, it's just a randomly assigned bunch of mercenaries from various countries. I appreciate as well that United give players a few years chance, even though it ends up not being ruthless enough. But say like Chelsea, they've had Torres, Falcao, Higuain, Morata, Werner up front, now it's Aubameyang and they're already talking of replacing him for the next equivalent 30 year old mercenary striker. Meanwhile they sell Tammy Abraham to Roma. I dunno how you build an affinity with players like that. Then the manager changes every year.

Tap

It also takes away the connection from the teams when that happens, especially when you have clubs owned by oil states, it's just a randomly assigned bunch of mercenaries from various countries. I appreciate as well that United give players a few years chance, even though it ends up not being ruthless enough. But say like Chelsea, they've had Torres, Falcao, Higuain, Morata, Werner up front, now it's Aubameyang and they're already talking of replacing him for the next equivalent 30 year old mercenary striker. Meanwhile they sell Tammy Abraham to Roma. I dunno how you build an affinity with players like that. Then the manager changes every year.
Producing results is an essential ingredient for building up affinity. Length of stay only builds up frustration and resentment if the player or manager is not producing.

We are definitely too lax and it’s not like there’s much affinity between the fans and the likes of Maguire, Lingard and AWB anyway. Many also thought that Ole and Jose should have been sacked earlier than they were.

Bobski

Moving on from the original question, does this WC spin the game back towards developing conventional strikers and away from wide forwards?

So many teams chronically lacking a proper 9.

Hughie77

Its rubbish compared to 86 or 90 . Or 78 . 82 wasn't much cop either. 94 was like this one pretty much imo. Most teams now are not going for wins, playing for pens . Morocco, Croatia both. Both sides concentrate on defence instead of attack. Makes for poor games.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Moving on from the original question, does this WC spin the game back towards developing conventional strikers and away from wide forwards?

So many teams chronically lacking a proper 9.
I fecking hope so. There's a dearth of talent in that position.

Bobski

I fecking hope so. There's a dearth of talent in that position.
For striker to make a comeback we would almost have to see a return or re-imagining of some form of hybrid traditional winger/wide forward?

I think the wide forward coming in and shooting on the stronger foot has thing got a bit stale in recent years outside of the elite. Teams have possibly got better at defending it through over exposure, the games needs something new to shake it up.

fallengt

starting to look like one since ro16.
Either one sided match or 120minutes borefest, nothing in between. Aus vs Argie was decent, Croatia vs Japan was good for 45minutes I guess
Contrast to group stage

EngimaMK

starting to look like one since ro16.
Either one sided match or 120minutes borefest, nothing in between. Aus vs Argie was decent, Croatia vs Japan was good for 45minutes I guess
Contrast to group stage
That Brazil v Croatia game was fascinating, despite the low scoring.