Is this one of the worst quality World Cups ever? | Probably not

Theonas

Scout
The criticism of the quality of football is really odd. One just can't expect the same quality at club level. At club level you have a team training together every day with a budget of millions to produce a perfectly well oiled machine. You don't watch the WC looking for the same quality, you watch it for the other stuff that you can only get at these tournaments. How the coaches do with the limited pool of players they have, the ambiance and general atmosphere, how the biggest stage brings the best in some players and can be too much for others, you watch because audacious and dramatic things like Netherland's equalizer tonight mean more because of the stakes are higher than anything at club level. That's the beautiful thing in football, there are many facets one can enjoy, if we just evaluate purely on the quality of football, it's just missing out on so much more.

Rodgerzzz

The stories & twists this tournament is producing have been on another world compared to any other I've watched. This last match between Argentina & The Netherlands absolutely nailed it, you don't know what's going to happen next, who would've thought at the start of this we would've been jumping out of our seats for a last gasp equaliser by fecking Wout Weghorst. Regardless of the quality, it's moments like this one that will define it.

I think the eventual winners will be whoever wins from the England - France match tomorrow, hopefully England because its been that mad of a tournament that something as crazy as England winning it might happen. But then as well you've got Portugal looking reborn after finally stepping out of the shadow of Ronaldo, which again is just adding more & more to this tournament.

It's a bit wierd seeing England flags and Christmas decorations up at the same time I'm not going to lie but so far it has been exceptional. It feels like one of those tournaments that will be looked back on very fondly by those who watched it, and those that didn't will struggle to understand why.

Reactions: Jippy

OzzyWv

Class world cup so far, so many talking points

England V France will be tasty

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Croatia have only beaten 1 team and are in the last 4. That 1 team being Canada.
Yeah, as I said, it's all about marginals. Nothing at all against Croatia but they have been savvy and had a lot of luck as well.

It's way too easy to say a team was shit because they went out early like Ecuador or Ghana when in fact small details have had a big impact. Gone are the days when teams are beaten by huge numbers. The few cases of true drubbings have mostly been when a team went one goal down and had to go for it in a win or go out match.

NoPace

It's been very entertaining, mainly because the quality is pretty average at times.

All teams look spent by the 70th minute which means mistakes and turnovers are happening more often leading to chances and goals in the second half.
Champions league is for chess, World Cup is like Poker, you can lose even if you get the other guy to go all-in with a 70/30 edge.

BorisManUtd

It's entertaining as it is a World Cup but this Brazil team getting knocked out as early as in last 8 is a shame.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm gonna say so far it's been better than 2002,2010 and 2014 , not yet sure if it's been better than the 18 and 06 editions but we'll see.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, as I said, it's all about marginals. Nothing at all against Croatia but they have been savvy and had a lot of luck as well.

It's way too easy to say a team was shit because they went out early like Ecuador or Ghana when in fact small details have had a big impact. Gone are the days when teams are beaten by huge numbers. The few cases of true drubbings have mostly been when a team went one goal down and had to go for it in a win or go out match.
Oh for sure. They have used their experience and had the most luck out of all the teams. They should have gone out in the last 2 matches but now could win the tournament. But this tournament has been good because there’s been no truly outright best team. I sure hope Morocco win tomorrow so we see more representation in the semis.

AlPistacho

I’ve not watched a lot of matches. But the ones I have have been pretty good. The Argentina Vs Netherlands match today could have been from the Premier League, didn’t watch Brazil but I’m guessing that was tactically very good from Croatia.

eire-red

Champions league is for chess, World Cup is like Poker, you can lose even if you get the other guy to go all-in with a 70/30 edge.
In fairness, the CL has been a lot less cagey since they abolished the away goal rule. Some of the knockout ties these past few seasons have been some of the most entertaining games that will live in the memory for a long time.

The quality in the CL is so much higher, but it's the stakes that makes the difference for the WC in terms of tension and entertainment value, and then fact that it's only every 4 yrs of course.

The subplots like Messi, Modric and Ronaldo's last chance, the likelihood that the manager might get axed if they don't meet expectations, the fact that many players only get one or two chances to shine at a WC in their prime. All of this gives a different element to the WC beyond the purist view of the quality of football.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Maybe my memory is off, but I feel 2002 was the worst world cup I can remember.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I don't understand how today can be used as a basis to refute the OP. Both games were very poor. Dramatic, but overall poor.
To be honest I thought Croatia and Brazil was a better quality game of football. But Holland - Argentina was really poor for the bulk of the tie. Like their clash at the same stage in 1998 it still produced arguably the moment of the tournament so far, but without the quality beforehand.

Tournament has a 1990 and 2002 feel to it - high drama but much of that is down to the fragility of some of the bigger nations.

Hughie77

was 90 really that good?

I remember it being quite defensive for the most part
90 was the one mainly for England honestly not for the games, the first time for a while they had some momentum in tournament. 86 was Maradonas world cup.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I don't understand how today can be used as a basis to refute the OP. Both games were very poor. Dramatic, but overall poor.
The premise of the thread is a bit strange though. Football at its core is about the high stakes, the tension, the passion, drama etc etc. that’s what gets you off your seat. And that’s something this world cup has had plenty of.

I think I said it before in the thread before, but Spain won the 2010 WC playing tiki taka football - a lot of people spoke about how high the quality of their football was. The reality is after the group stages they won every game 1-0 in really boring games.

Houdini

I hate the background of this WC but must admit it is one of the better of the last decade.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Shame the Dutch lost, but that last gasp equaliser should still go down as a classic world cup moment. That match had amazing drama, it was great.

For those so desperate for the prem to return, in only 16 days it's back and you can binge watch Brighton v Southampton, Palace-Fulham and Everton v Wolves.

Drifter

American
I have not been paying as much attention to this World Cup has I usually do, in fact I'm more looking forward to our next PL game

KeanoMagicHat

Shame the Dutch lost, but that last gasp equaliser should still go down as a classic world cup moment. That match had amazing drama, it was great.

For those so desperate for the prem to return, in only 16 it's back and you can binge watch Brighton v Southampton, Palace-Fulham and Everton v Wolves.
The battle for 12th! Going to be a comedown watching PL after matches meaning so much -in the World Cup.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
I just don't get the quality of football as an argument against any particular competition. Perfect game from technical and tactical point of view would probably be a 0:0 draw.

In the past two decades, Liverpool (Rafa), Chelsea (Jose), Inter (Jose again), Milan (Ancelotti), Juventus (Lippi) have been some of the best sides on the continent. Please find just one person who enjoyed CL final between Milan and Juventus in 2003. I can't deny the quality of the sides, but my God, they bored the hell out of me. Or 2004/2005 ghost goal Liverpool and Chelsea tie.

Club football is fun for period of time when something new pops up, and status quo is challenged. Say when Guardiola shows up in Barcelona. After a season or two, teams eventually give up trying to better Barcelona, and adapt completely, while also integrating some of the concepts of Barcelona. That brings more level playing field and eventually brings a new status quo.

It's much different in international football, and specifically in World Cup, because teams don't know enough about each other and it would take many more games and seasons to have some sort of status quo, where everyone simply knows their role beforehand, and acts accordingly.

steve zizou

It's bigger than that, honest!
I just don't get the quality of football as an argument against any particular competition. Perfect game from technical and tactical point of view would probably be a 0:0 draw.

In the past two decades, Liverpool (Rafa), Chelsea (Jose), Inter (Jose again), Milan (Ancelotti), Juventus (Lippi) have been some of the best sides on the continent. Please find just one person who enjoyed CL final between Milan and Juventus in 2003. I can't deny the quality of the sides, but my God, they bored the hell out of me. Or 2004/2005 ghost goal Liverpool and Chelsea tie.

Club football is fun for period of time when something new pops up, and status quo is challenged. Say when Guardiola shows up in Barcelona. After a season or two, teams eventually give up trying to better Barcelona, and adapt completely, while also integrating some of the concepts of Barcelona. That brings more level playing field and eventually brings a new status quo.

It's much different in international football, and specifically in World Cup, because teams don't know enough about each other and it would take many more games and seasons to have some sort of status quo, where everyone simply knows their role beforehand, and acts accordingly.
Been making this argument to anyone who been saying world cup lacks quality. Quality football is not synonymous to fun/entertaining football. It's very rare you see a game of high quality between 2 sides that is also entertaining (See the many boring major finals). Rather it's the right dosage of "lack of quality" that makes games exciting. I think most games in this tournament has got the balance just right.

Spoony

The People's President
was 90 really that good?

I remember it being quite defensive for the most part
I loved 90. Some of the football was tedious but it was full of iconic moments - Gazza's tears, Milla's dancing, Cameroon's assault on Cannigia, Schillaci, Maradona turning the locals against Italy in Naples, Rijkaard spitting on Voller, England's penalty misses, Matthäus's goal vs Yugoslavia etc etc. I recall seeing the San Siro on TV for the opening and it blew me away. New Order had the World in Motion and football fans became fans of Pavarotti. The whole event oozed passion. Oh and I loved that West Germany kit.

KeanoMagicHat

England and Brazil were very good teams, on another day or play those matches again and they might have won them and the whole tournament. Fine margins. That’s knockout football though.

Bobski

1990 was a below par football exhibition(very defensive, a ton of diving, back passes to keeper being picked up was still a thing) but incredible for football culture, amazing iconic stadiums, kits, fans.

Many have said it but a poor footballing quality tournament is not necessarily dull. Many of us will have watched tons of grass roots football which is low quality technically but still manages to be engaging. I think this question is really about the state of the world game which I would still contest is having something of a dip at the moment due to a generational gap, lots of greats coming to end, lots of exciting youngsters, disappointing crop of prime players at this tournament.

Scriblerus

It has been one of the more enjoyable recent WCs because of unpredictable results - several group stages that were alive to the last, followed by the upsets we all know about. But the flip side of that is that there isn't a truly outstanding team there. Brazil and Portugal both played some outstanding attacking football but neither was consistent enough to grit it out against organised opponents. Croatia are impressively organised but unexciting. Argentina are their usual mix of flair and dirt. France aren't great in several departments. A Morocco win would make it memorable.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
To be honest I thought Croatia and Brazil was a better quality game of football. But Holland - Argentina was really poor for the bulk of the tie. Like their clash at the same stage in 1998 it still produced arguably the moment of the tournament so far, but without the quality beforehand.

Tournament has a 1990 and 2002 feel to it - high drama but much of that is down to the fragility of some of the bigger nations.
1990 was the worst I can remember. A terrible tournament with very few goals, topped by a horrible final won with a controversial penalty. Maradona's tears are still etched in my brain.

The only redeeming feature was Cameroon making it to the quarter-finals (a first for an african team) and stupidly losing to England in ET.

Parma Dewol

1990 was the worst I can remember. A terrible tournament with very few goals, topped by a horrible final won with a controversial penalty. Maradona's tears are still etched in my brain.

The only redeeming feature was Cameroon making it to the quarter-finals (a first for an african team) and stupidly losing to England in ET.
The only redeeming feature? Did you not hear the theme tune? :nono:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Very good world cup but being honest, felt like the semi finals were non-events, which is a big shame. Everyone loves a good upset, but come the semi finals, nah, give me the big games. Definitely feel disappointed that Brazil and Portugal fecked up on the day, fair play to Croatia and Morocco but would've been much better games had the bigger side gone through. Oh well. At least it's a big game in the final.

Actually it's weird how few big games there have been. A world cup... and the only games between 2 big teams have been:
  • Spain vs Germany
  • Netherlands vs Argentina in the quarters
  • England vs France in the quarters
  • Argentina vs France in the final

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Very good world cup but being honest, felt like the semi finals were non-events, which is a big shame. Everyone loves a good upset, but come the semi finals, nah, give me the big games. Definitely feel disappointed that Brazil and Portugal fecked up on the day, fair play to Croatia and Morocco but would've been much better games had the bigger side gone through. Oh well. At least it's a big game in the final.

Actually it's weird how few big games there have been. A world cup... and the only games between 2 big teams have been:
  • Spain vs Germany
  • Netherlands vs Argentina in the quarters
  • England vs France in the quarters
  • Argentina vs France in the final
what? Tonight was a great game. It was better than the England vs France game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
what? Tonight was a great game. It was better than the England vs France game.
Certainly wasn't a great game IMO, and not a memorable game at all. For me, felt like the bigger team just sat back and countered without ever being stretched much on the smaller team who huffed and puffed and kept possession well without creating much, and then ultimately lost 2-0 with the last 15 minutes of the game pretty much a non-event (and during that period was the only period that Morocco actually created chances). It's a world cup semi final. It felt like a round of 16 match where the plucky underdog loses valiantly and you go "yeah, fair enough, be proud of yourself but now lets watch an evenly balanced game".

Yesterday was the same. Bigger team sat back and countered and scored a few goals without needing to over extend themselves while their opponent gave 110% just to create a chance, and didn't really manage to create a real chance.

But hey, if you disagree, that's fine. That's just how I felt watching these 2 games, result never felt like the slightest bit in jeopardy.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
When focusing only the football it's been a great world cup.

I just hope Argentina takes it home now. France winning it would be seriously anti-climactic.