Is today make or break for Anderson?

Ash_G

I don't think there's much harm in keeping him on as a squad player if he's happy. His runs from midfield could be a useful option to bring on for the last twenty minutes when the other team is tired. If he wants to be a first team player then fair enough get rid - not good enough.
But the problem is how often is he fit enough to be on the bench to actually be that option? Apparently he's only completed 18, 90mins in all his time here. That's insane. He'll always be a player who shows glimpses of having something different to offer because there i talent there but at some point I think you just both need to say it hasn't worked out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
But the problem is how often is he fit enough to be on the bench to actually be that option? Apparently he's only completed 18, 90mins in all his time here. That's insane. He'll always be a player who shows glimpses of having something different to offer because there i talent there but at some point I think you just both need to say it hasn't worked out.
Another thing is if someone gets injured early in a game, will he then have to be substituted himself when he runs out of steam. He is young he should be full of energy.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He can't do it for the whole 90, it's all down to him because he can have a starting spot in midfield if he wants bad enough but it's just the same old with him. Much more to a United player than just being good, not sure he wants it bad enough, don't mind him as a squad player but he's not the one we need.

Amir

Enough, please. We've given it what we've got, he's not good enough, he's not consistent enough, he's not fit enough during the season.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Time to sign a replacement that we can rely on.

The guy has been given season after season to prove himself and has flattered to deceive.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I really think all the people saying ''he's just not good enough'' are just wrong. I don't think he's been half as bad as people are making him out to be.

Amir

I really think all the people saying ''he's just not good enough'' are just wrong. I don't think he's been half as bad as people are making him out to be.
He CAN be good enough. When he's fit, on his day. But you never know when he's fit and you can't rely on the odd day. He's had some great games, but the total average ones and the poor ones outweight it.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Impressed me more then Cleverley today, who I didn't notice all too much. Same as always with him though. He starts off really well and looks impressive, carries the ball well, has a few misplaced passes. Then he tires and gets subbed off. I think it might have to do with him always sprinting around the pitch from the first minute, and running 10 meters side to side and then passing the ball. I feel like he's trying way too hard to create something and stand out in the limited appearances he gets that we're never going to see the best of him.
I think it'd be best for both Anderson and United if we parted ways.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't think there's much harm in keeping him on as a squad player if he's happy. His runs from midfield could be a useful option to bring on for the last twenty minutes when the other team is tired. If he wants to be a first team player then fair enough get rid - not good enough.
That's what I've been thinking too. He has rarely been used in that capacity, though.

At this point I don't really care. My take on it remains that if he's happy with things himself (seems unlikely, perhaps) and if he isn't standing in anyone's way (more likely, given Fergie's midfield philosophy) we might as well keep him. We won't get much for him anyway.

redpie

Was looking for team news on twitter for the Chelsea game and up pops a stat even crazier than Fergies team selection and subs if true.
Anderson has only completed a full 90 mins 18 times in 6 his years at United. :houllier:

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Sell him ffs.

Platato

Psst!
I'm not sure how today's game would have changed anyone's opinion on Anderson. He's been here for 6 years. United fans have had more than enough time to make up their mind about him.

He would have had to put in a master class performance for anyone to really take notice and hope he pushes on with us. It looks like it's the end of the road for him. Shame because he was building up some good form before we hit our Christmas period. Was influential in our away match at Reading only to go off injured.

Dominos

He's been our 3rd best central midfielder this season, despite not being given a chance.

The fact that amongst the abuse he's receiving today, a few managed to reluctantly admit he played fairly well today, despite the forum-wide agenda against him tells you all you need to know about how he can out perform the rest of our midfield and still get slated. It's hard to sum up his whole time here because each year is different in terms of the difficulties we've had with him, but this season alone you have to say, objectively, he plays decent to very good basically every time he plays and then gets dropped for 40 year olds, strikers and centre backs who stink it up in our midfield in place of him. The first half of the season was a joke for this where we were shocking and nearly losing every game Scholes and/or Giggs started in midfield and he still wasn't given a run of games. The 2nd half of the season he's been given a game once every 5 weeks, what do you people expect of him when he's treated like such?

He should be sold in the summer, it's clearly not working out. A little bit of respect wouldn't go amiss on here though, the hatred shown for one of our own players for no reason at all I find a little disturbing.

What I think is inevitable, he'll leave, we'll sign 1 midfielder, and we'll be slightly better off for it if we're lucky as next season, yet again we'll find ourselves having to use Giggs, Jones and Rooney in midfield. 2 midfielders are needed when he's sold, otherwise we should probably keep him.

Dominos

Anderson is a default sub when he starts a game, he's not anywhere near first choice, he's not a moaner about being a squad player.

There are plenty of games he could easily finish but he gets hauled off by default, a few weeks ago he played 85 against Sunderland, looked absolutely fine but got took off to the cries of "god he's so unfit, why can't he finish a game", when in reality it's just Fergie's decision.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
He's been our 3rd best central midfielder this season, despite not being given a chance.

The fact that amongst the abuse he's receiving today, a few managed to reluctantly admit he played fairly well today, despite the forum-wide agenda against him tells you all you need to know about how he can out perform the rest of our midfield and still get slated. It's hard to sum up his whole time here because each year is different in terms of the difficulties we've had with him, but this season alone you have to say, objectively, he plays decent to very good basically every time he plays and then gets dropped for 40 year olds, strikers and centre backs who stink it up in our midfield in place of him. The first half of the season was a joke for this where we were shocking and nearly losing every game Scholes and/or Giggs started in midfield and he still wasn't given a run of games. The 2nd half of the season he's been given a game once every 5 weeks, what do you people expect of him when he's treated like such?

He should be sold in the summer, it's clearly not working out. A little bit of respect wouldn't go amiss on here though, the hatred shown for one of our own players for no reason at all I find a little disturbing.

What I think is inevitable, he'll leave, we'll sign 1 midfielder, and we'll be slightly better off for it if we're lucky as next season, yet again we'll find ourselves having to use Giggs, Jones and Rooney in midfield. 2 midfielders are needed when he's sold, otherwise we should probably keep him.
Tbf he's the third best because the only other actual CMs we have a Carrick and Clevs

Sojiro

Formerly MST3K
"Sometimes you're not sure about a player,&qu
made some great runs from deep but when he gets closer to the 18 yard box I just fear hes going to cannon a pass at someone and ruin the move. I just don't think he has quite the touch on his final pass.

Was so Traveller by 55/60 minutes that when RvP or Valencia had the ball wide he couldn't join the play because he wouldn't be able to get back so we lacked numbers to make it threatening.

Gazza

Anderson's situation reminds me of Louis Saha's time here. I think SAF loses patience with players when he can't rely on their fitness. He'll go in the summer unless we see him as a decent 4th/5th choice (assuming we sign one midfielder and Fletcher + Scholes aren't registered next season).

Dominos

Tbf he's the third best because the only other actual CMs we have a Carrick and Clevs
Tell that to Fergie.

It's not a great endorsement but the way people on here thinking getting rid of him is the solution to all our midfield problems and that it's him that's responsible for us not signing a midfielder since 1875 I don't accept.

surf

He was quite good today, better than Cleverley, Giggs and Valencia. Whether it was enough to convince Ferguson to keep him is another matter.

F-Red

I'd rather we got rid, it'll free up space for Powell who looks to be a more complete package than Anderson. Hell, he aint a stone overweight for starters...

Gazza

Editor of Red News tweeting that a good contact said Anderson asked Fergie for a move after the match against Reading at OT, so that he could get regular first-team football. Also says this request will be granted. He's on twitter @barneyrednews

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Good bye Anderson probably. Not because of today like my silly OP suggests, but the writing has been on the wall.

Such a shame. I still believe he has immense talent, but would appear he doesn't have enough dedication.

He had a really promising 1st season and scored from the spot in the final shoot out. For that alone it was worth it.

He did ok today but as we all predicting faded horribly in the 2nd half. A professional at utd should not have fitness issues like that.

feck it a player in league 2 that would not be acceptable.

Dominos

I'd rather we got rid, it'll free up space for Powell who looks to be a more complete package than Anderson. Hell, he aint a stone overweight for starters...
Yes, it's Anderson that's holding Powell back... Not like we're regularly playing 40 year olds, strikers and centre backs in midfield... It's not like we had the same situation last year whereby Pogba had to leave the country to get some game time. It's Anderson's fault, who gets a game once every 6 weeks himself if he's lucky, despite being our 3rd best central midfielder for the season.

And another weight joke. Because that didn't get old 3 years ago :wenger:

Annahnomoss

I think people are incredibly forgetful slating Anderson this much. His skill level hasn't been that low when he has played it is just his injuries and the recovery after them. At some point before his long injury he was one of our leading players more so than Carrick who has been brilliant.

I think Anderson is a very talented footballer but he just doesn't fit in to Fergusons strategy and has suffered from it. He has a style where he runs with the ball which tires him in a 2 man midfield. It is his main strength so getting rid of it is not an option either.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's proven himself to be unreliable and he's not so good where you can make an exception for his injury prone-ness. It's time for him to move on. Probably back to Portugal or Brazil.

Devil may care

It was more like a make or break season and I think he'll be shipped out in the summer. He started brightly today but I felt he faded, however he was certainly better than Cleverley.

Ole'sbodyguard

Yes, it's Anderson that's holding Powell back... Not like we're regularly playing 40 year olds, strikers and centre backs in midfield... It's not like we had the same situation last year whereby Pogba had to leave the country to get some game time. It's Anderson's fault, who gets a game once every 6 weeks himself if he's lucky, despite being our 3rd best central midfielder for the season.

And another weight joke. Because that didn't get old 3 years ago :wenger:
Saying Anderson's been out third best central midfielder this season is not much of a feather in his cap is it? He's against Scholes, whose hardly played in the second half of the season, Fletcher(whose hardly played), Giggs and Jones.

The fact that Fergie has had to use Jones and Giggs in the second half of the season is because Anderson has had the usual fitness and injury problems after the promising run of form he had in the Autumn. I would not say the case for him being better than Giggs or Jones in that role over the season is completely clear cut either. I would agree with you but it's only been marginal.

It's clearly time to invest in some new blood in central midfield and as well as Scholes's retirement, I would be happy with United selling Anderson as well and also seriously considering whether Fletcher is worth persisting with. Anderson's not delivered as expected again because of the same long-standing problems, i.e., fitness and injuries.

Ole'sbodyguard

Yes, let's sell one of the few real midfielders we have. We can always replace him with Rooney, Fletcher, or some defender.

Caf logic
CAF logic is that after six years it may be time to let go someone who largely due to injuries and fitness problems has not quite developed as expected.

I think Scholes will retire and that Fletcher may well not with the club next season either.

The reason Fergie has had to use the likes of Jones, Giggs and Rooney is because the likes of Anderson and Fletcher have obvious fitness problems that are unlikely to be resolved in the short or long-term. It's not much use having "real midfielders" if they are injured most of the time.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Lol ghaliboy lol :lol:
:lol: actually, it wasn't the OP - it was more the reactions in the thread that are hilarious. It's like a pit for the outpouring of bell-end comments.

I said "LOLLLLL" in real life when reading that.

Nah I didn't really.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Editor of Red News tweeting that a good contact said Anderson asked Fergie for a move after the match against Reading at OT, so that he could get regular first-team football. Also says this request will be granted. He's on twitter @barneyrednews
Good news if true