Is Zaha the one player we should never have let go?

simplyared

He was SAF's last signing if I remember correctly so obviously he saw something in the young player. He cost us 10.58 m back in jan 2013. I ask myself the question how the feck can we sell a player with so much talent for 3.45 m 2 yrs later. He'd walk into our line-up today and not only that we're screaming for a player with his qualities. Maybe paper talk but Arsenal are prepared to cough up 45 m to get him and they'll probably need to increase that offer to get him. Views on this!

sp_107

He was SAF's last signing if I remember correctly so obviously he saw something in the young player. He cost us 10.58 m back in jan 2013. I ask myself the question how the feck can we sell a player with so much talent for 3.45 m 2 yrs later. He'd walk into our line-up today and not only that we're screaming for a player with his qualities. Maybe paper talk but Arsenal are prepared to cough up 45 m to get him and they'll probably need to increase that offer to get him. Views on this!
He is strongly linked to Liverpool in last 2 days for around 60M fee, No doubt he is a top talent now but I am not sure if he was with us he could have made the same progress? as we are not the best place for any attacking players in last few years.

fps

No. The prices quoted for him are insane, and he isn't CL quality.

Wheato

I think the consensus was that he wasn't actually top quality. He has since matured and worked hard on his game, but still a flat track bully.

Nickosaur

I like him a lot, his game has improved a lot since leaving United. I'd be interested to see how he does at a bigger club, Spurs, Arsenal etc - but i wouldn't want it to be united.

Brilad

Liverpool Fan
I personally think he just blows hot and cold (more to the cold) far to often.

Ridiculous price tag as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

manutddjw

He’s a player that if we kept here and he was actually a starter we’d either scream for an upgrade in the summer or the optimistic would declare every year that this is his breakout year like they did with Anderson.

Similar to Ashley Young when we signed him. He was the star man in a squad with inflated stats. Once he goes from playing every game and having everything go through him, to being part of a rotation and sharing the load with others, you then realize he isn’t a top level player.

Luke1995

The sale of Japp Stam didn't make sense at the time as he was one of the best defenders in the world and we kinda struggled with the defense a little bit until the Ferdinand-Vidic partnership.

ColvaleGoa

Don't we have a sell-on clause with Palace for Zaha? If So it's not a great loss. We always sell our players for peanuts anyways.

KetilOwren88

For what I’ve read, his attitude was his biggest problem and the main reason it didn’t work out. Maybe it would have been different with Fergie still around, but in the end he let himself down and wasted his chance.

dove

No. He was never good and is not good enough now.

NoPace

He had 6 goals and 3 assists in 53 starts (and 12 sub appearances) for Palace the two years after we sold him. Safe to say he wasn't good enough at the time to start for us.

But not having a proper buyback clause for 15 or 20M, considering we sold him for 3M going up to 6, should go on the list of feckups. People will say he didn't want to come back, but we have new management in, probably could mend fences, or we could have just sold him abroad for a big profit. Palace were surely eager to get him back for the small fee we charged them, have to think we could have made a better deal.

Not every player we sell has to have a buyback, and I know we get a percentage of his sell on fee (which I guess might save us a few mil on Wan-Bissaka it seems), but a very raw dribbling winger in his early 20s with obvious potential is exactly the kind of player you would expect to potentially improve. He wasn't Cleverley. More like a Demarai Gray type where he's not good enough to play real minutes for a top 6 team or even start for a top 10-12 team, but the tools are obviously there and in 3-4 years, who knows?

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
We didnt even give him a proper chance. He then went on to get better and better.

He will lose the ball often amd frustrate at times but he beats 4 players a game on average which is impressive.

He can roast a full back at a standing start. Few players can do this. He would turn many draws into wins against bus parkers.

Cloud7

He wouldn’t have developed properly here anyway. A succession of Moyes then Vangle then Jose, even if he wasn’t sold by one of them he would have been so confused with what the three of them wanted out of him he would probably be a mess right now.

soaphroniscuss

Should have loaned him out instead but at least we got the sell-on clause in there this time.

Fer

Zaha would be more effective than Martial on the left wing.

But we have to move on. We need to sell Lukaku and use the money to sign a RW.

How much it would cost Chiesa or Pepe?

klayton88

Nope. Herrera was. Comical by the club to allow him to leave while throwing new contracts out to the likes of Young and Jones. We'll miss him next season. The one player who I genuinely believe loved the club and always gave his all.

BrianLy

It's funny seeing all these "he wasn't good enough" or "he isn't top 6 quality" comments when the comments on very detail-oriented stats make him seem like a useful player to have around.

I'm not talking about goals, assists, etc which are frequently meaningless in the context of future promise, but details like successful dribbles, players beaten in attacking positions, etc. For Zaha, these appear to be showing a player who has made significant progress, but maybe not as much as he could have made with a couple of years under Fergie.

el3mel

He would have probably turned to a new Lingard if he had stayed here knowing our luck.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I don't recall much outrage at the time, the price we sold him for sums it up
I was ticked right off when we sold him. Never should have happened. If anything, we loan him out. The potential was always there for everyone to see, and he was never really given a chance...

eltigreFalcao

You could argue that it was a bad sell, but he is nor was ever a good footballer. Crazy skills every now and then, but he really contributes nothing. Miles apart from what we already have in attack

Champagne Football

People saying he's not good enough for Utd.. . yet he's clearly miles better than Mata and Martial on the wings.

He's a far better player than he's given credit for on here. Pochettino, Pep and Klopp have all made serious attempts to buy him in the past. Jadon Sancho at £100 million is better value though than Zaha at £70 million.