Islamophobia: the new antisemitism

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Islamophobia: the new antisemitism

When I was growing up in Gainesville, Florida, the Klan was still a force. Now a pastor wants to burn the Qur'an, what's changed?

Mya Guarnieri
guardian.co.uk,
Thursday 26 August 2010

Islamophobia: the new antisemitism | Mya Guarnieri | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Ku Klux Klansmen in Louisiana, 1962. The KKK organisation persisted in the south during Mya Guarnieri's Florida upbringing. Photograph: Pet Finlayson/AP

The New York Times is reporting that a pastor in my hometown of Gainesville, Florida is planning to "commemorate" 11 September 2001 by publicly burning the Qur'an. The photograph that accompanies the story showed the pastor, Terry Jones, standing in a field of grass behind signs that read "Islam is of the devil."

The tall pines of my childhood tower behind him and I was shocked to see those two images together. From my apartment in Tel Aviv, I searched the edges of the photo for something else familiar, something that would soothe me.

Where is my hometown? I thought. This is not the Gainesville I grew up in.

Gainesville is quintessential America. It's swimming pools and popsicles. It's kids scooting about on bikes on lazy summer days. It's Norman Rockwell America.

It's also Tom Petty's hometown, the place that gave rise to his famous song "American Girl". If I've had a bit too much to drink and I sing along, I find a southern accent I never knew I had. And if a Jewish girl can discover a southern accent for herself in Gainesville, anyone can find a home there. Right?

Then I remember.

When I was a child, some of my evangelical Christian classmates urged me to convert. Because I was Jewish and didn't accept Jesus Christ as my personal lord and saviour, they told me, I was going to hell.

When I was a teenager, I had a close friend whose father was in the Ku Klux Klan. For years, I hid my ethnic and cultural background from the family. Shame began to seep into me and I learned to hide my roots from everyone.

The summer after 11th grade, we were home alone, watching a movie with an African American friend of ours. The gravel in the driveway rumbled under a car's tires – it was my other friend's father, the Klansman, arriving unexpectedly. Our black friend hid in a closet. He climbed him out the window later and I met him down the road, tucked him into my car, and drove him home.

My last year of high school, the Ku Klux Klan held a rally in a local park that happened to be less than a mile from my house. As I left to go for a run, my mom warned me to steer clear of the park. Just in case.

An obedient daughter, I respected her wishes. When I heard later that counter-protesters outnumbered the KKK, I felt a thrill in my chest. This is my hometown.

I felt the same this morning when I read that the city of Gainesville had rejected Jones's request for permission to build a bonfire. While the city denied that the decision had anything to do with Jones's intention to burn sacred books, Gainesville's mayor, Craig Lowe, voiced his discomfort with Jones's ideology.

So, which is my hometown? And which is America?

Gainesville's struggle is a mirror for the country. And so are my memories. In the past, there was antisemitism, roiling just below the surface. Now, there is Islamophobia. If Terry Jones burns copies of the Qur'an in Gainesville, he'll leave a shameful scorch on us all.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Strangely, its one of the last forms of open discrimination that's tolerated in American society - although primarily out of ignorance and fear than merit.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Or is it just the newest, latest one?

In recent history, it was women, then the blacks, then Communists, then the Hispanics and now its Islam. Once Islam is over, Im sure the next 'enemy' will emerge.

For a country to be No 1, it must always have an enemy. I remember very soon after the cold war ended thinking that Islam would be the next 'victim'. And for no other good reason that to show the world that America was superior.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Or is it just the newest, latest one?

In recent history, it was women, then the blacks, then Communists, then the Hispanics and now its Islam. Once Islam is over, Im sure the next 'enemy' will emerge.

For a country to be No 1, it must always have an enemy. I remember very soon after the cold war ended thinking that ISlam would be the next 'victim'. And for no other good reason that to show the world that America was superior.
There has been significant push back from the other groups you cited, primarily in the sixties through the nineties. Muslims have never managed to organize as a political block in the states. If they did, politicians would be forced to consider their concerns rather than brush them aside. Take for example Cuban American expats in South Florida. There aren't that many of them throughout the US, but since a vast majority are clustered in Miami, they have the ability to influence which Presidential candidate wins Florida, which as we've seen, has a direct impact on who becomes President. Therefore most Presidential candidates tend to pander to the expats by talking tough on Castro and Cuban sanctions. Muslims, due to their disparate origins and cultural/linguistic differences have never managed to pool their resources together to create a viable political platform that might allow them to influence either American policy or the negative narratives that have unfolded post 9/11.

Neutral

BTV
Muslims being precious....

So what if all of you get labeled as terrorists?

So what if there were 1 million armed suicide bombers out of the 1.2Billion muslims worldwide, it would only be 0.08% of the population...

Muslims are all guilty by association.

Truth be told, we muslims are to blame for a lot of the Islamophobia. Look at the articulate bigots who get airtime to spread their hate, and then look at the muslims trying to defend themselves. Almost always they are not fluent in the english language, or don't look media friendly. We need to be smart.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
I dislike the word Islamophobia and the way that it covers both anti-Muslim sentiment and anti-Islamic sentiment. The two should be distinct.

Anti-Semitism is the hatred/discrimination towards Jews, which is far worse than Islamophobia in the sense of hatred of the Islamic religion. Hatred/discrimination towards Muslims is another matter, and yes, can be compared to anti-Semitism in the way that Muslims are now portrayed/treated in the West.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Strangely, its one of the last forms of open discrimination that's tolerated in American society - although primarily out of ignorance and fear than merit.
I watched a fair bit of CNN when my folks were visiting (my Dad is a junkie for that channel and my missus hates it) and I was surprised at the number of pundits that came on various segments absolutely trashing Islam. It was very shocking and incredibly ignorant, like Sarah Palin on LSD.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I remember Clive Stafford Smith saying a few years ago that: "this generations nigger is the terrorist". Seemed about right to me.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
What interested me about the OP article was that it was written by a Jewish woman which is why I posted it. I travel alot in my work and used to get very agitated by the overt extra hassle I get wherever I am in the world when going through passport control. I used to fight it with indignation but now, just for an easy life, I say nothing, point my eyes to the floor and just try and be patient and wait ... whilst I feel my blood boiling inside of me.

It always affects me, normally the entire journey from the airport to the hotel, I will be feeling very angry that I have been unfairly harassed at the airport just because of the name I have. And I have to consciously remind myself that not everyone in the country that I am visiting has the same relish of subjugating me like the passport officials.

I remember when I saw the excellent movie The Pianist which depicts what life was like for ordinary Jews in Hitler's Germany ... one scene shows how were not allowed to walk on the pavements and so had to walk amongst the filth of the street ... it was very distressing even just to watch. Well sometimes when Im in my random airport, I think it would just be easier for them to have a "muslims' queue. At least that would make it transparent.

Its for these reasons that the cultural centre that is proposed for Lower Manhattan is allowed to proceed. Because I dont think it takes long to get from where we are now to some of the scenes from the movie The Pianist.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

Neutral

BTV
What interested me about the OP article was that it was written by a Jewish woman which is why I posted it. I travel alot in my work and used to get very agitated by the overt extra hassle I get wherever I am in the world when going through passport control. I used to fight it with indignation but now, just for an easy life, I say nothing, point my eyes to the floor and just try and be patient and wait ... whilst I feel my blood boiling inside of me.

It always affects me, normally the entire journey from the airport to the hotel, I will be feeling very angry that I have been unfairly harassed at the airport just because of the name I have. And I have to consciously remind myself that not everyone in the country that I am visiting has the same relish of subjugating me like the passport officials.

I remember when I saw the excellent movie The Pianist which depicts what life was like for ordinary Jews in Hitler's Germany ... one scene shows how were not allowed to walk on the pavements and so had to walk amongst the filth of the street ... it was very distressing even just to watch. Well sometimes when Im in my random airport, I think it would just be easier for them to have a "muslims' queue. At least that would make it transparent.
Profiling...:mad:

I remember when this 1st came about in the context of terrorism, there was so much debate, but as with everything else, humans are creatures of habit. We have simply gotten used to it, accepted it, and learnt to cope :(

Alex

What interests me about this is the reverse discrimination aspect of this. Not all white Americans are ignorant morons who hate Muslims...

nimic

something nice
Scout
What interests me about this is the reverse discrimination aspect of this. Not all white Americans are ignorant morons who hate Muslims...
A thread about the rise of Islamophobia in the West, and what you consider most interesting, what you feel needs a good debate, is "reverse discrimination"?

Clearly the most pressing issue in our society.

Alex

That is because I am not Islamophobic and I dont see any Islamophobic people in my life, sure I see them on the television, but hey I would imagine that I would see some. I just find it odd, how the "West" is Islamophobic because some people dont want a mosque in NYC and some lady wrote an article.

Care_de_Bobo

That is because I am not Islamophobic and I dont see any Islamophobic people in my life, sure I see them on the television, but hey I would imagine that I would see some. I just find it odd, how the "West" is Islamophobic because some people dont want a mosque in NYC and some lady wrote an article.
I agree with this, I have no problems with Muslims whatsoever and have a few Muslim friends yet I feel that nearly every Muslim person I ever meet nowadays seems to think I will have a problem with them and it I have had a few conversations recently with people I've just met about my thoughts on Islam, terrorism etc. and to be honest I end up feeling uncomfortable and felt like I was having to defend myself for something I'd never even said or intimated during conversation.

I don't blame the said people, Islam or myself though. I blame the media, they seem to be doing a great job of creating tension between people who should and would otherwise just get on and live peacefully and without all this tension.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
If you ask a Muslim which institution is most Islamophobic between the government, media and police - media is always the number one choice.

I also think occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan needs negative coverage of Muslims for the government to justify their presence/mishaps. Just as Communism was projected as the ultimate evil during Vietnam and the cold war.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
How old are you Alex? Come on man, just because YOU aren't and you don't know any Islamaphobic people does it mean it's not a pressing issue?
That's a very head in the sand take on what is clearly an issue!

And the west isn't suddenly Islamaphobic because some people dont want a mosque in NYC and some lady wrote an article, if you think it is being regarded so because of these reasons you need to step out of the bubble you are living in!

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
I agree Sultan, a lot of it is down to perception and how Islam is portrayed in the media. Even speaking to friends many of them have misgivings as they feel Islam is 'bare rules' and they see it as an 'angry' religion. An initial lack of knowledge coupled with an ill informing media is always going to lead to situations like this. The best thing we can do is educate not only ourselves but others.

We were discussing Amir Khan on a boxing forum and whilst many didn't agree he is disliked because he is Asian we could all agree that perhaps part of the reason he is dislike is because of his religion. Khan openly embraces his faith, praying before fights as well as having Arabic writing on his trunks and often wears green a colour oft associated with the religion. Post 9/11 it is a very awkward time to be a Muslim and the fact this young man openly embraces his faith as well as being successful does rile up an ignorant section of fans.

Neutral

BTV
I agree Sultan, a lot of it is down to perception and how Islam is portrayed in the media. Even speaking to friends many of them have misgivings as they feel Islam is 'bare rules' and they see it as an 'angry' religion. An initial lack of knowledge coupled with an ill informing media is always going to lead to situations like this. The best thing we can do is educate not only ourselves but others.

We were discussing Amir Khan on a boxing forum and whilst many didn't agree he is disliked because he is Asian we could all agree that perhaps part of the reason he is dislike is because of his religion. Khan openly embraces his faith, praying before fights as well as having Arabic writing on his trunks and often wears green a colour oft associated with the religion. Post 9/11 it is a very awkward time to be a Muslim and the fact this young man openly embraces his faith as well as being successful does rile up an ignorant section of fans.
Amir also has the added bonus of being a 'paki'.

This is why I said, muslims have to take a lot of blame for letting things get this bad. We have let others be the voice, set the agenda. Flip through the channels, and so many of the experts on Islam/the middle east are non-muslim.

Too many muslims have given up, and taken the view...ahh screw it, they hate us anyway, why bother correcting/informing/educating.

Sultan

Amir also has the added bonus of being a 'paki'.

This is why I said, muslims have to take a lot of blame for letting things get this bad. We have let others be the voice, set the agenda. Flip through the channels, and so many of the experts on Islam/the middle east are non-muslim.

Too many muslims have given up, and taken the view...ahh screw it, they hate us anyway, why bother correcting/informing/educating.
I'd say the media carefully chooses these wierdos claiming to be representing Muslims. I remember seeing the same idiots every week in the UK because they made controversial statements feeding the frenzy. Thankfully a number of these are now in prison for various offences.

Alex

How old are you Alex? Come on man, just because YOU aren't and you don't know any Islamaphobic people does it mean it's not a pressing issue?
That's a very head in the sand take on what is clearly an issue!

And the west isn't suddenly Islamaphobic because some people dont want a mosque in NYC and some lady wrote an article, if you think it is being regarded so because of these reasons you need to step out of the bubble you are living in!
So how long has the West been Islamophobic? Why is all this popping up with the reaction to the Mosque. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 100 years. Maybe 10 years, right? The fact that the US is "Islamophobic" and not anti-Islam shows that there arent very many KKK like groups going after them. Essentially, it is not irritational to fear something that you do not understand, which could probably be said about most ignorant Americans, that said I dont think it is irrational to fear something that was associated with 9/11. Do you not think that there is a Western-phobia and American-phobia in the Middle East due the United States and Britain's recent actions in the region.

As for the WTC Mosque, all I can say is that I am happy that I live in a country where people can openly demonstrate against things that they dont want. It happens all the time, if this were a strip club or hell even a Scientology building that was getting hassled for being made no one would care. I dont really care about the mosque myself it is just a building with a bunch of guys worshipping a made up God, these guys are harmless and obeying the law so I dont have a problem with it, but if the public force it to close I wont have a problem either, because that's just a democratic country in action, not a hate group.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
So how long has the West been Islamophobic? Why is all this popping up with the reaction to the Mosque. 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, 100 years. Maybe 10 years, right? The fact that the US is "Islamophobic" and not anti-Islam shows that there arent very many KKK like groups going after them. Essentially, it is not irritational to fear something that you do not understand, which could probably be said about most ignorant Americans, that said I dont think it is irrational to fear something that was associated with 9/11. Do you not think that there is a Western-phobia and American-phobia in the Middle East due the United States and Britain's recent actions in the region.

As for the WTC Mosque, all I can say is that I am happy that I live in a country where people can openly demonstrate against things that they dont want. It happens all the time, if this were a strip club or hell even a Scientology building that was getting hassled for being made no one would care. I dont really care about the mosque myself it is just a building with a bunch of guys worshipping a made up God, these guys are harmless and obeying the law so I dont have a problem with it, but if the public force it to close I wont have a problem either, because that's just a democratic country in action, not a hate group.

Yep, the folks demonstrating against the mosque being built sure look like friendly nice people.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Such a wonderful speech from Obama. He speaks so clearly and coherently about the the responsibilities about the US constitution.

I just love this man.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury

I like the way you diffrentiate between the two but in response to that, this 'church' that wants to burn the Qu'ran and claim Islam is of the devil would fall very much into the anti-Islam bracket no?
It's not just this though I'm sure there are a number of instances we can pull up citing attacks on Muslims (I seem to remember a spate of attacks right after 9/11) what about the pipe bomb attack on the mosque that wasn't reported on. I seem to remember discussing that on here too.

There is a problem with anti - Islamic sentiment or Islamophobia in the west. The sooner it is accepted, the sooner we can put an end to it.

Alex

The thing is that these are isolated events in one of the biggest countries in the world, these people don't subscribe to what normal people, but they dont really concern me, they are in a small minority.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
I dislike the word Islamophobia and the way that it covers both anti-Muslim sentiment and anti-Islamic sentiment. The two should be distinct.

Anti-Semitism is the hatred/discrimination towards Jews, which is far worse than Islamophobia in the sense of hatred of the Islamic religion. Hatred/discrimination towards Muslims is another matter, and yes, can be compared to anti-Semitism in the way that Muslims are now portrayed/treated in the West.
I think it can also be compared to how the West and Jews are portrayed in the Muslim world, which completes this lovely circle of human kindness.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
The thing is that these are isolated events in one of the biggest countries in the world, these people don't subscribe to what normal people, but they dont really concern me, they are in a small minority.
yep. you must be right

The Guardian News Thu 26 Aug 2010 19:47 BST

Michael Enright, who volunteered in Afghanistan, accused of slashing neck and face of Bangladeshi driver in Manhattan

A college student who did volunteer work in Afghanistan has been charged with slashing the neck and face of a Bangladeshi taxi driver who said he was Muslim.

A criminal complaint alleges Michael Enright uttered an Arabic greeting and told the driver: "Consider this a checkpoint" before the brutal attack occurred on Tuesday night inside the yellow cab on Manhattan's East Side. Police say Enright, 21, was drunk at the time.

Enright is being held on charges of attempted murder and assault as hate crimes, and possession of a weapon. The handcuffed defendant did not enter a plea during the brief court appearance.

In addition to a serious neck wound, cab driver Ahmed Sharif suffered cuts to his forearms, face and one hand while trying to fend off his attacker, prosecutor James Zeleta said while arguing against bail.

Jason Martin, defending, told the judge his client was an honours student at the School of Visual Arts who lived with his parents in suburban Brewster, New York.

Enright volunteered for Intersections International, a group that promotes interfaith dialogue and has supported plans for an Islamic centre and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero. A group representative, the Reverend Robert Chase, called the situation "tragic".

"We've been working very hard to build bridges between folks from different religions and cultures," Chase said. "This is really shocking and sad for us."
Sharif, a 43-year-old Bangladeshi immigrant who has driven a cab for 15 years, was quoted in a news release from the New York Taxi Workers Alliance as saying that the attack had left him shaken.

"I feel very sad," he said. He added that, because of tensions over the mosque, "all drivers should be more careful". He accepted an invitation from New York's mayor, Michael Bloomberg, a supporter of the mosque, to visit City Hall.

"This attack runs counter to everything that New Yorkers believe no matter what God we pray to," the mayor said.

At around 6pm on Tuesday, a man hailed the cab at East 24th Street and Second Avenue, a police spokeswoman said. Sharif said that during the trip his customer asked him whether he was Muslim. When the driver said yes, the customer pulled out a weapon – believed to be a folding tool with a knife blade called a Leatherman – and attacked him.

After the assault, the driver tried to lock the customer inside the cab and drive to a police station, police said. The attacker jumped out of a window, 17 blocks from where he hailed the cab, police said.

An officer noticed the commotion, found Enright slumped on the pavement and arrested him.

A case for the tool was found inside the cab, but the tool was missing, police said.

Chase said Enright has been volunteering for the group for about a year on a project that involved veterans. He did a video project that sent him to Afghanistan for about six weeks this spring to document the life of an average soldier, Chase said. He was embedded with a unit there.

Intersections has come out in support of the mosque, but Chase said Enright wasn't involved in that project.

Enright could face between eight and 25 years in prison if convicted of attempted murder.

CircusMonkey

And meanwhile....everyday day Muslims,Non Muslims,Non believers have to witness and suffer from this ignorant and spiteful malevolence being thrown back and forth between imbeciles, who believe they have the authority to represent each side of their perverted argument.

I have seen first hand how Islamophobia has changed the way a community feels and acts. It has created conflict that was not there before. Personally i have never met an extremist, but according to the media i am surrounded by them.
No i am not, i am surrounded by the same people that were continually called "paki" through the 80's and 90's, and it has now been substituted with "terrorist". Its good all fashioned discrimination that's been made legitimate by the Media's crusade.

Godfather

I like the way you diffrentiate between the two but in response to that, this 'church' that wants to burn the Qu'ran and claim Islam is of the devil would fall very much into the anti-Islam bracket no?
It's not just this though I'm sure there are a number of instances we can pull up citing attacks on Muslims (I seem to remember a spate of attacks right after 9/11) what about the pipe bomb attack on the mosque that wasn't reported on. I seem to remember discussing that on here too.

There is a problem with anti - Islamic sentiment or Islamophobia in the west. The sooner it is accepted, the sooner we can put an end to it.
Fckin hell how I hate those sorts of Americans. Running round with their fecking Air Force caps/Army hats, beeing fat as feck, sunglasses on thinking their useless lifes were actually of any importance.

Sultan

I think it can also be compared to how the West and Jews are portrayed in the Muslim world, which completes this lovely circle of human kindness.
A generalisation.

Still, had you mentioned the Arab world and you may have a point. Only 20% of the World Muslims are Arab.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Ha what was the significance of posting this? Is this your way of justifying it?

I could easily reference the Cave of Patriots massacre where a Jew shot up a mosque killing 29 people? Would that be a reasonable justification for antisemitism or the Holocaust?

Please if you aren't going to add anything of worth then there is no point...

To be fair, it is possible that holyland posted it as a prime example of Islamophobia in the media.

I mean, does speculation on what he shouted really merit a headline? It's sensationalism in the extreme.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
To be fair, it is possible that holyland posted it as a prime example of Islamophobia in the media.

I mean, does speculation on what he shouted really merit a headline? It's sensationalism in the extreme.
I assumed so too but then I saw this.

Maybe I have got the wrong end of the stick but that post seemed to me that it was apologetic. As if saying well it happens in the Arab world too so meh were equal.