Islamophobia: the new antisemitism

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"
Profiling...:mad:

I remember when this 1st came about in the context of terrorism, there was so much debate, but as with everything else, humans are creatures of habit. We have simply gotten used to it, accepted it, and learnt to cope :(
We on the other hand enjoy extra security when we are caged in a corner of the terminal 2 hours prior to boarding, and that after going through another body search.

Makes us feel so special.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
The scenes are ugly, no question about that, but you'll find morons like those in the report everywhere in the world if you only bothered looking. There are people boycotting Jews, Jews boycotting Arabs, Jews discriminating against other Jews and there you have Belfast, the Balkans and so on...

The West and the Muslim world have been in conflict for a while now. Nothing in this conflict even remotely resembles the centuries-long discrimination of Jews.
Yes because I'm totally unaware it's happening elsewhere:rolleyes:
maybe because this thread is discussing Islamophobia I posted it...

nimic

something nice
Scout
Check out the wars and atrocities of the last century. You'll be proven wrong buddy.
Why just the last century? Obviously with the advent of nationalism the world has changed, but it's not a secret that religion has been the driving force behind some of the worst wars and atrocities in history.

An oft-used example, I know, but take the Crusades. I know it's become popular to claim that they had nothing to do with religion after all, and were all about power, but that's not really true. Oh, I suspect quite a few of the lords and kings involved weren't exactly pious in nature, and the soldiers were probably mostly just soldiers, who as always did what they were told. But the driving force behind it was religious.

Another thing that people often say is that religion isn't the cause for this and that, it's just been used as an excuse. Well, so what? If that is true, and no doubt it was for some conflicts, then that still means that they might not necessarily have taken place if not for religion. The men at the top of al-Qaida might not be very religious (though personally I don't doubt that many of them are), but it was still their religious beliefs that led the hijackers to crash into buildings with planes.

But yes, religion as the cause of the big conflicts isn't something that has really been on the agenda since before the 19th century (though there are examples of even that).

What were we talking about again? I might be prone to ranting.

*cough*

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
"Islamic world" is responsible for more innocent Muslims' deaths than anyone else. And that includes the US and UK combined.
The only countries where Muslim on Muslim deaths are attributed is Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. They all have a common thread.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Ah niMic, so predictable. At least you admited you weren't even sure what we were talking about. Anyway, the obligatory rant over the retardedness of religion was already quite overdue in this thread, so thanks for taking care of that.

nimic

something nice
Scout
And I only blame the "Islamic world" for making up "Israeli atrocities" while being blind to the fact that the "Islamic world" is responsible for more innocent Muslims' deaths than anyone else. And that includes the US and UK combined.
If you look at the direct cause only, that's probably (certainly) true. But suffice it to say that the Mid-East is one great mess largely because of the power struggles of the "Great Powers", particularly since the 18th/19th century. Oh, that's not to say that there wasn't struggle and strife there before (Mongols, Mameluks, Greeks, Muslims, Turks, Romans, etc, have all had a jolly old time), but this almost institutionalized state of chaos is largely a remnant of the Imperialism.

I might have gone off on a tangent there a bit, but my point was that it doesn't always paint the correct picture if you don't look deeper into it. That's not to say that I think the reason Muslims are generally killed by other Muslims is the British and French struggle for control over Egypt, or some other diffuse reason that practically absolves Muslims of all responsibility. But just perhaps part of the reason for it in Afghanistan and Iraq is largely because the Brits and the Americans decided to invade.

I'm should probably to try to stay away from the CE forum for a day or two, I seem to have found the taste for more or less coherent ranting..

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ah niMic, so predictable. At least you admited you weren't even sure what we were talking about. Anyway, the obligatory rant over the retardedness of religion was already quite overdue in this thread, so thanks for taking care of that.
I can't remember putting the word "retarded" in there, but perhaps you can edit the post to correct this, as you already seem to have done in your own head, and I'll post the revised version.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I can't remember putting the word "retarded" in there, but perhaps you can edit the post to correct this, as you already seem to have done in your own head, and I'll post the revised version.
Ok.

You said that "it's not a secret that religion has been the driving force behind some of the worst wars and atrocities in history."

Can you name those worst wars and atrocities? What's your top ten?

nimic

something nice
Scout
Ok.

You said that "it's not a secret that religion has been the driving force behind some of the worst wars and atrocities in history."

Can you name those worst wars and atrocities? What's your top ten?
Do the Crusades count? The Thirty Years' War? The Taiping Rebellion, perhaps? The French Wars of.. what was it.. oh yes, religion. Oh, they definitely also had other aspects than the religious one, but there's no doubt that they were largely religious in nature.

I don't generally keep a list ranking horrendous periods of human suffering, but if you want to make your own top ten there's plenty of literature out there.

Sultan

check out human history turbaned one, instead of picking and choosing slivers of eras.

However many centuries we go back the basis of most wars is not religion. I do accept it is used on occasions as a manipulative tool by leaders to justify them. Majority of wars are started for economic reasons, land grab, nationalism, bigotry, security. The worst atrocities committed on mankind have been during the supposed enlightenment era (last century).

nimic

something nice
Scout
However many centuries we go back the basis of most wars is not religion. I do accept it is used on occasions as a manipulative tool by leaders to justify them. Majority of wars are started for economic reasons, land grab, nationalism, bigotry, security. The worst atrocities committed on mankind have been during the supposed enlightenment era (last century).
Here's what I don't understand, though. If you assert that some wars are started by nationalism and bigotry, but not religion, you're then suggesting that people aren't so involved with religion as these things, that it in effect doesn't matter as much as them. At the same time I've been in arguments on this very site where some people were furious that I dared suggest that religion wasn't inherently more important than any other issue people care about.

I definitely think religion has been the driving force behind some wars. Both on the leader side, and on the follower side. It must certainly be a lot easier to motivate troops to fight someone on the basis of religion, than on the basis of a power struggle. Has it ever been the only driving force? Probably not. Probably not even in the French Wars of Religion, or the Crusades, and certainly not in the Thirty Years' War. But it was an important factor in all of these (and more), and not only as a tool used by the cynical darkmen at the top.

Sultan

I definitely think religion has been the driving force behind some wars. Both on the leader side, and on the follower side. It must certainly be a lot easier to motivate troops to fight someone on the basis of religion, than on the basis of a power struggle. Has it ever been the only driving force? Probably not. Probably not even in the French Wars of Religion, or the Crusades, and certainly not in the Thirty Years' War. But it was an important factor in all of these (and more), and not only as a tool used by the cynical darkmen at the top.
I agree. It's basically what I said in the post you quoted.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeah, I suppose it was. You've always struck me as one of the more thoughtful and moderate theists on here. Sometimes I have the bad habit of mentally grouping all of you together, perhaps attributing you arguments you never really had.

It's not easy being a godless and cynical bastard :angel:

Sultan

Yeah, I suppose it was. You've always struck me as one of the more thoughtful and moderate theists on here. Sometimes I have the bad habit of mentally grouping all of you together, perhaps attributing you arguments you never really had.

It's not easy being a godless and cynical bastard :angel:
I understand

Being Godless does to your personality. ;)

holyland red

The only countries where Muslim on Muslim deaths are attributed is Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan. They all have a common thread.
I think you chose to ignore Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Algeria. Syria and Jordan also have troublesome recent past when it comes to mass murders. Other, non-Arab examples are also available, but there's no need to go further back to make a strong argument.

holyland red

If you look at the direct cause only, that's probably (certainly) true. But suffice it to say that the Mid-East is one great mess largely because of the power struggles of the "Great Powers", particularly since the 18th/19th century. Oh, that's not to say that there wasn't struggle and strife there before (Mongols, Mameluks, Greeks, Muslims, Turks, Romans, etc, have all had a jolly old time), but this almost institutionalized state of chaos is largely a remnant of the Imperialism.

I might have gone off on a tangent there a bit, but my point was that it doesn't always paint the correct picture if you don't look deeper into it. That's not to say that I think the reason Muslims are generally killed by other Muslims is the British and French struggle for control over Egypt, or some other diffuse reason that practically absolves Muslims of all responsibility. But just perhaps part of the reason for it in Afghanistan and Iraq is largely because the Brits and the Americans decided to invade.

I'm should probably to try to stay away from the CE forum for a day or two, I seem to have found the taste for more or less coherent ranting..
I think it's about time we all stopped patronizing the Muslims by arguing that if they still had this tyrant in charge all this mess perhaps would not have happened. That's perhaps factually true for Iraq, but now that they are given a platform on which to build a free society they keep themselves busy slaughtering each other. In addtition, despite the ill-effects of imperialism the nations involved in the ME and Asian areas under imperial influnce have had time to move on- some have whereas others haven't.

And Afghanistan wasn't exactly a Muslim heaven prior to 9/11, was it?

holyland red

Are you in agreement there that if it wasn't for religion some of the worst atrocities would have been a lot harder to carry out?

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Are you in agreement there that if it wasn't for religion some of the worst atrocities would have been a lot harder to carry out?
Well that's certainly true (at least to a great extent) in the case of the Yugoslav civil war. I'd argue that during the creation of Croatian fascism in the 1930s the decisive impulse came from the Catholic church. In fact there was no other means of distinguishing between Serbs and Croats apart from their religious affiliation.

What I'm arguing against, however, is that if one simply checks the statistics on the biggest fatalities in all the wars recorded in history, most of them were 'simply' driven by a complex mixture of political-economical expansionism, non-religious ethnic differences, aspirations of power and control over land, and religion, of course. It's basically too simplistic to blame religion for all the shit when deeper studies of the circumstances and motivations which led to wars is far more complex.

Religion is quite a broad term anyway. Although I'm 'religious' I do admit that religion makes me sick, but for some reasons I don't like when niMic starts to slag it off.

(On top of all my troubles I recently discovered that I cannot take beer very well anymore. What the hell is happening. Wine is still good though.)

nimic

something nice
Scout
What I'm arguing against, however, is that if one simply checks the statistics on the biggest fatalities in all the wars recorded in history, most of them were 'simply' driven by a complex mixture of political-economical expansionism, non-religious ethnic differences, aspirations of power and control over land, and religion, of course. It's basically too simplistic to blame religion for all the shit when deeper studies of the circumstances and motivations which led to wars is far more complex.
Most of them? Certainly. Most of them had nothing at all to do with religion. The World Wars, various stuff happening in China, most of the big European struggles between 1400 and 1800, etc. My point was just that some of them were largely religious, and quite a few others were made worse by the polarizing nature of religions.

But I do think it's become a bit too common to claim that some wars (like the Crusades) weren't really religious at all, at heart. Which it clearly was, even if lots of other factors played into it.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Most of them? Certainly. Most of them had nothing at all to do with religion. The World Wars, various stuff happening in China, most of the big European struggles between 1400 and 1800, etc. My point was just that some of them were largely religious, and quite a few others were made worse by the polarizing nature of religions.

But I do think it's become a bit too common to claim that some wars (like the Crusades) weren't really religious at all, at heart. Which it clearly was, even if lots of other factors played into it.
Agreed.

holyland red

I think this is the core factor people are aiming at when they argue that religion is to blame for major atrocities.

Sultan

Religion in it's purest form and understood correctly would never allow such atrocities.

Flying Fox

Religion in it's purest form and understood correctly would never allow such atrocities.
But when is it ever understood correctly?

For every leader preaching harmonious co-existence with other religions as the 'path of the righteous', you have others eschewing a more violent approach as the 'right way'.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I see Sults' point on this. The problem is that its not human nature for religions to be practiced in their purest forms, because people always naturally interject their flaws into various philosophies they embrace.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Personally I think this whole 'real religion is non-violent' idea is a bit of a myth, a useful myth, but a myth nonetheless. There's certainly a lot of violence in religious texts if you want them to be books promoting non-violence, and I see calls for people to be killed for a multitude of sins on many of the pages.

I think modern, moderate interpretations of these books are primarily what promotes the non-violent passages over the violent, and that can only be a good thing.

Flying Fox

I see Sults' point on this. The problem is that its not human nature for religions to be practiced in their purest forms, because people always naturally interject their flaws into various philosophies they embrace.
Oh I agree entirely.

I think that because we are imperfect beings, there are always likely to be differences in opinion, and as such, things like religion are unlikely to be followed in its purest form, whatever that might be.

I see a lot of Gramscian theory in religion. There is always this struggle accross all faiths for legitimacy. There is unlikely to be an approach (in the short/medium term at least) that is perceived as 'common sense' by the masses.

holyland red

Unfortunately the scripts can be interpreted in any way you want them to. That's why clerics can justify both political compromise and genocide based on the same scripts.

Sultan

Unfortunately the scripts can be interpreted in any way you want them to. That's why clerics can justify both political compromise and genocide based on the same scripts.
True

However, and that would also be the case for many political ideologies or isms.

MikeUpNorth

Sultan, I realise your interpretation of religion - which you of course consider to be the correct one - would never justify the use of violence against innocent people, and you understandably think the people that use it to do so are seriously misguided in their religious understanding. However, I think it is important to recognise that the primary reason that the Abrahamic religions managed to spread from a small region of the Middle East round the world to Europe, Africa, the sub-continent and eventually the New World is that violent expansionary conquests were undertaken. This spread of peoples and religions largely obliterating the native indigenous belief systems.

And if this violent expansion hadn't occurred, these religions would not have anywhere near the numbers of followers that they now claim - in all likelihood you yourself would not be a Muslim. Just food for thought.

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
Sultan, I realise your interpretation of religion - which you of course consider to be the correct one - would never justify the use of violence against innocent people, and you understandably think the people that use it to do so are seriously misguided in their religious understanding. However, I think it is important to recognise that the primary reason that the Abrahamic religions managed to spread from a small region of the Middle East round the world to Europe, Africa, the sub-continent and eventually the New World is that violent expansionary conquests were undertaken. This spread of peoples and religions largely obliterating the native indigenous belief systems.

And if this violent expansion hadn't occurred, these religions would not have anywhere near the numbers of followers that they now claim - in all likelihood you yourself would not be a Muslim. Just food for thought.
But Mike, look how Constantine exploited that new, hot thing Christianity for his political purposes in basically replacing Roman polytheism with a monotheistic state religion. Historically speaking Christianity could have also very easily just died out during the first and second century.

Apart from that it's a good point you make, especially in regards to the expansionary conquests of the Middle Ages.

Btw I would exclude Judaism because they haven't moved much territorially since the late Bronze Age really.

Sultan

The countries with the largest Muslims population Indonesia, Malaysia, China, parts of Russia, parts of Africa, have no records of any Muslim conquests. If for example if violent expansion of religion was the basis of conquests then India, where the Moghuls ruled for around 700 years does not explain Muslims being a significant minority.

How do you explain away Islam's growth and the fact it's still practiced by many hundreds of Millions despite the fact no swords or guns being pointed towards their heads. Maybe Islam does have something to offer to people - just food for thought like.

MikeUpNorth

The countries with the largest Muslims population Indonesia, Malaysia, China, parts of Russia, parts of Africa, have no records of any Muslim conquests. If for example if violent expansion of religion was the basis of conquests then India, where the Moghuls ruled for around 700 years does not explain Muslims being a significant minority.

How do you explain away Islam's growth and the fact it's still practiced by many hundreds of Millions despite the fact no swords or guns being pointed towards their heads. Maybe Islam does have something to offer to people - just food for thought like.
Of course violent conquest isn't the only means of religions spreading, the other major one is spread along trade routes. The slow conversion of Indonesia to Islam is a good example of this, where local traders and royalty begun to adopt the religion in attempts to allow favourable relations with trading partners.

And there is no doubt Islam, and all religions, offer their followers something. In earlier times trade of course tended to flourish amongst people who decided to share a religion, and there are obvious advantages to adopting the same religion as your rulers. But on a more fundamental level religions try to offer people many different things: a central purpose, a sense of belonging to a group, ethical guidance, consolation and of course the promise of eternal life.

In modern times religions don't generally try to out compete each other through violence, but rather fight it out in the minds of potential followers. Well designed religions, which are the most compatible with the underlying machinery of the human mind, are always likely to out-compete ones which are not so well designed in this respect. Perhaps the best place to see this is in the landscape of American Christianity, where different Churches compete for followers is quite brazen ways, mimicking modern marketing techniques. A similar thing happens everywhere, but usually in a more subtle way.

Sultan

Of course violent conquest isn't the only means of religions spreading, the other major one is spread along trade routes. The slow conversion of Indonesia to Islam is a good example of this, where local traders and royalty begun to adopt the religion in attempts to allow favourable relations with trading partners.

And there is no doubt Islam, and all religions, offer their followers something. In earlier times trade of course tended to flourish amongst people who decided to share a religion, and there are obvious advantages to adopting the same religion as your rulers. But on a more fundamental level religions try to offer people many different things: a central purpose, a sense of belonging to a group, ethical guidance, consolation and of course eternal life.

In modern times religions don't generally try to out compete each other through violence, but rather fight it out in the minds of potential followers. Well designed religions, which are the most compatible with the underlying machinery of the human mind, are always likely to out-compete ones which are not so well designed in this respect. Perhaps the best place to see this is in the landscape of American Christianity, where different Churches compete for followers is quite brazen ways, mimicking modern marketing techniques. A similar thing happens everywhere, but usually in a more subtle way.
I agree Mike.

I think the best marketing tool to expand your faith is the actions of it's followers. The actions of the fundamentalist's is hurting the very faith they profess to follow by their conduct. Muslims need to get back to basics and become ambassador's of the religion which has so much to offer to the world.