Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

Denis79

I'm not knowledgeable enough in Israel/Palestine conflict to have a reasonable opinion but calling Desmond Tutu a bigot and accusing him of antisemitism is way over the line. The man was one of the few real humanitarians around and cared deeply for everyones well-being. I'm not saying Israel is at fault but every criticism that hits them can not just be antisemitism, some must have some truth, same goes for the Palestinians.

RedTiger

Half mast

Carolina Red

Staff
Bears reminding that Dershowitz is the same guy that likened the International Court of Justice to the all white courts of Mississippi during the Jim Crow Era because the ICJ called out Israeli human rights violations.

Which is especially ironic, considering Jim Crow laws were our apartheid. Projection at its finest by Alan.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
In 2020, the UN General Assembly passed exactly 23 resolutions condemning various countries.
17 of them were directed against Israel
The rest of the world - Syria, Myanmar, North Korea, Iran and so on - must be content with a combined total of six condemnations.

I fear that no UN organisation is objective about the situation.

So about the report. I have already said that an arab party is part of the government right now. That did not apply to Apartheid in South Africa.
Also the report laments that Gaza is basically cut off from Israel and West Bank. Of course that will affect people's lives. As I said, for me Gaza and West Bank are under military rule, of course life won't feel like a trip to Disneyland.

Among other things, the report also rues the loss of land the Palestinians have experienced in the last 70 years. Well, they lost the bloody war. What did they expect?

AI treat the situation like it is happening and it was created out of thin air. Everything that happened is a prologoue of what is happening now.
I hate to say it, but context is everything and it is desperately missing in AI's report.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
In 2020, the UN General Assembly passed exactly 23 resolutions condemning various countries.
17 of them were directed against Israel
The rest of the world - Syria, Myanmar, North Korea, Iran and so on - must be content with a combined total of six condemnations.

I fear that no UN organisation is objective about the situation.

So about the report. I have already said that an arab party is part of the government right now. That did not apply to Apartheid in South Africa.
Also the report laments that Gaza is basically cut off from Israel and West Bank. Of course that will affect people's lives. As I said, for me Gaza and West Bank are under military rule, of course life won't feel like a trip to Disneyland.

Among other things, the report also rues the loss of land the Palestinians have experienced in the last 70 years. Well, they lost the bloody war. What did they expect?

AI treat the situation like it is happening and it was created out of thin air. Everything that happened is a prologoue of what is happening now.
I hate to say it, but context is everything and it is desperately missing in AI's report.
Yet all the countries except israel has had sanctions against them…

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So I guess those in favor of the Israel is an Apartheid state narrative would have to address the fact that there are about 14 Arabs in the Knesset (one of which is apparently a Likud member no less) in a democratic nation that regularly holds elections. This would on the surface be quite different from Apartheid era South Africa where black South Africans couldn't vote until the mid 90s.

Last edited:

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So I guess those in favor of the Israel is an Apartheid state narrative would have to address the fact that there are about 14 Arabs in the Knesset (one of which is apparently a Likud member no less) in a democratic nation that regularly holds elections. This would on the surface but quite different from Apartheid era South Africa where black South Africans couldn't vote until the mid 90s.
Not sure how this is relevant? I'm sure AI and Desmond Tutu are aware of these whataboutisms but still calling a spade a spade.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not sure how this is relevant? I'm sure AI and Desmond Tutu are aware of these whataboutisms but still calling a spade a spade.
What random individuals say based on their own political preferences isn't really a convincing argument imo. If there is truly apartheid in Israel, those promoting that narrative still have all their work ahead of them since there are currently elections in Israel that Arab citizens participate in to the tune of 70% turnout each cycle. They have, and take advantage of, an opportunity to vote for politicians who best reflect their views, which would seem to be a problem for "Israel is apartheid" proponents.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
So I guess those in favor of the Israel is an Apartheid state narrative would have to address the fact that there are about 14 Arabs in the Knesset (one of which is apparently a Likud member no less) in a democratic nation that regularly holds elections. This would on the surface but quite different from Apartheid era South Africa where black South Africans couldn't vote until the mid 90s.
Coloureds and Asians had representatives in the parliament of Apartheid South Africa, a country which regularly held democratic elections.

There were a few black people in the US Congress during Jim Crow/defacto segregation in the North. The US has always been a democratic nation even during years of massive disenfranchisement of black people.

See where I'm going here?

Carolina Red

Staff
Edit: Exactly what @adexkola said.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Coloureds and Asians had representatives in the parliament of Apartheid South Africa, a country which regularly held democratic elections.

There were a few black people in the US Congress during Jim Crow/defacto segregation in the North. The US has always been a democratic nation even during years of massive disenfranchisement of black people.

You really shouldn't have had to spell this out, it's mind numbingly obvious.

Shame that Raoul is following the hasbara route in the guise of devil's advocate or whatever he wants to call it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Yeah but we're not talking about random, token candidates. There are 14 or so Arabs in the 120 member Knesset, which is not insignificant. Are you telling Israeli Arabs their votes shouldn't count ?

Carolina Red

Staff
Yeah but we're not talking about random, token candidates. There are 14 or so Arabs in the 120 member Knesset, which is not insignificant. Are you telling Israeli Arabs their votes shouldn't count ?
You're really massaging that statistic. 3 of those Arabs are Druze. 1, possibly 2, of them are Christian (one attended a Catholic high school). Also, Arabs make up over 20% of the Israeli population, but are sitting at 11% of the Knesset... even less than that when you account for the Druze and Arab Christian(s).

Sweet Square

If people are just going to ignore human rights groups like Amnesty International and B'Tselem and then ignore political figures like Nelson Mandela and Desmond Tutu then I'm not what use this thread is.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You're really massaging that statistic. 3 of those Arabs are Druze. 1, possibly 2, of them are Christian (one attended a Catholic high school). Also, Arabs make up over 20% of the Israeli population, but are sitting at 11% of the Knesset... even less than that when you account for the Druze and Arab Christian(s).
This looks like something Israeli Arab voters can change if they so choose. They can obviously vote for whoever they want.

adexkola

Supports
The reason Israel is an Apartheid state is not as much due to it's treatment of Israeli Arabs (and other minorities). You're (deliberately) ignoring the elephant in the room.

Carolina Red

Staff
This looks like something Israeli Arab voters can change if they so choose. They can obviously vote for whoever they want.
You know, coincidentally, the Constitution said black Americans could do just that during the entire Jim Crow Era. But I'm sure voter suppression has been largely blunted in Israel, the same way it was here.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The reason Israel is an Apartheid state is not as much due to it's treatment of Israeli Arabs (and other minorities). You're (deliberately) ignoring the elephant in the room.
I think that's a big problem for Israel which needs to be looked at in a balanced way by taking into account both Israeli and Palestinian (most recently Hamas) policy towards one another.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Sorry, why would you distinguish Druze and Christians here?

The accepted definition of Apartheid appears to be broader than relying on the specific conditions that prevailed in South Africa. Amnesty have also recently declared Myanmar an apartheid state, and I believe under the current definition there are more states which can be legitimately categorized as such. Whether this process actually helps drive actual change or has the effect of cheapening the term remains to be seen.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You know, coincidentally, the Constitution said black Americans could do just that during the entire Jim Crow Era. But I'm sure voter suppression has been largely blunted in Israel, the same way it was here.
Yes I'm sure we could pluck an endless amount of whataboutisms out of history, but none would perfectly align with the specific nuances of the current Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The further people discuss this issue through the lens of fringe narratives, the further apart both sides will drift until diplomacy and negotiations are impossible, which is ultimately the only way progress will be made.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes I'm sure we could pluck an endless amount of whataboutisms out of history, but none would perfectly align with the specific nuances of the current Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The further people discuss this issue through the lens of fringe narratives, the further apart both sides will drift until diplomacy and negotiations, which is ultimately the only way progress will be made.
That's not a whataboutism. It's another example of apartheid. Which, again, is what Israel has done / is doing.

Carolina Red

Staff
Yes but the conversation was about Israeli Arabs as a whole.
They are ethnic Arabs, so would obviously count here.
The Druze and Arab Christians have a much different relationship with the State of Israel. To include them in the "it isn't apartheid because there are 14 Arabs in the Knesset" seems to me to be ignoring that fact.

2cents

Scout
The Druze and Arab Christians have a much different relationship with the State of Israel. To include them in the "it isn't apartheid because there are 14 Arabs in the Knesset" seems to me to be ignoring that fact.
Legally speaking, how is the relationship different?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
When examining Jewish vs non-Jewish participation in Israeli elections, all ethnic Arabs as well as other minorities count (I thought this would be obvious).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Legally speaking, how is the relationship different?
Because if they were Muslim, or Palestinian, they’d struggle to have the same rights they do have as Druze or Arab Christian.

2cents

Scout
Because if they were Muslim, or Palestinian, they’d struggle to have the same rights they do have as Druze or Arab Christian.
Arab Muslim citizens of Israel have the same rights as Arab Christian and Druze citizens.

adexkola

Supports
I think that's a big problem for Israel which needs to be looked at in a balanced way by taking into account both Israeli and Palestinian (most recently Hamas) policy towards one another.
I disagree. There is no balance in apartheid, the onus and attention falls on the side performing apartheid.

You sound like Reagan telling the ANC to "renounce violence".