Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
frostbite said:
Who exactly are the "Palestinian Christians"? Where did they come from? Are they Arab Muslims who converted to Christianity?
Palestinian Christians are descendants of the Christian communities encountered in Palestine by the Arab-Muslim armies who conquered the region in the mid-7th century. At that time they would have primarily spoken Greek (the elites) and Aramaic (the masses), although some other minority languages likely existed alongside them. Over time, and notwithstanding the brief Latin/Crusader interlude of the 12th and 13th centuries and four centuries of Ottoman Turkish rule from the 16th century, this population was Arabized, in the sense that they adopted, for the most part, the Arabic language and the dominant Arabo-Islamic culture and civilization of the Islamic rulers of Palestine.* Many also adopted the religion of their rulers, although it is not clear exactly when Muslims became a majority in Palestine, and some historians suggest that even at the time of the First Crusade Christians remained a majority. In any case, by the early 20th century they made up roughly 10% of the population of Palestine, although by that stage a significant minority had migrated to the New World (hence the influential Palestinian Christian diaspora in today's Latin America).

Alongside their Muslim neighbors they began to develop a secular, nationalist expression of their Arab/Palestinian identity in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, just as nationalism was spreading among all the inhabitants of the late Ottoman Empire in one form or another.

*(edit): should mention, there are some historians who believe that a long-term process of Arabization of Palestine and southern Syria was already underway before the Islamic conquest of the 7th century, and that in fact this process helped in some ways to facilitate the conquest.

Last edited:

frostbite

You realize that there's a whole population of people already living in this region prior to the Greeks or Romans, right?

Like... I'm honestly curious at this point to know if you think Jesus of Nazareth was a Greek or Roman.

I'm also curious as to whether or not you realize that Palestine had Christianity in it centuries before Islam existed.
Jesus was Jew. Nobody called themselves "Palestinians" back then. There are Geographical areas, and then there are Communities of people. It is not the same thing.

Yes, there was an area called "Palestine". But there was no community called "Palestinians" back then. There was no ethnicity, no nationality, no community called "Palestinians" (or "Palestinian Christians") back then.

I have no idea why we are talking about this for so long. What I said is something simple and I don't see any controversy.

frostbite

Palestinian Christians are descendants of the Christian communities encountered in Palestine by the Arab-Muslim armies who conquered the region in the mid-7th century. At that time they would have primarily spoken Greek (the elites) and Aramaic (the masses), although some other minority languages likely existed alongside them. Over time, and notwithstanding the brief Latin/Crusader interlude of the 12th and 13th centuries and four centuries of Ottoman Turkish rule from the 16th century, this population was Arabized, in the sense that they adopted, for the most part, the Arabic language and the dominant Arabo-Islamic culture and civilization of the Islamic rulers of Palestine.* Many also adopted the religion of their rulers, although it is not clear exactly when Muslims became a majority in Palestine, and some historians suggest that even at the time of the First Crusade Christians remained a majority. In any case, by the early 20th century they made up roughly 10% of the population of Palestine, although by that stage a significant minority had migrated to the New World (hence the influential Palestinian Christian diaspora in today's Latin America).

Alongside their Muslim neighbors they began to develop a secular, nationalist expression of their Arab/Palestinian identity in the late 19th/early 20th centuries, just as nationalism was spreading among all the inhabitants of the late Ottoman Empire in one form or another.

*(edit): should mention, there are some historians who believe that a long-term process of Arabization of Palestine and southern Syria was already underway before the Islamic conquest of the 7th century, and that in fact this process helped in some ways to facilitate the conquest.
Yes, this is more or less correct. Of course, it fails to answer some crucial questions.

Did any Christian community in the Levante call themselves "Palestinian Christians" before 1940? Did this term exist before 1940?

Who created this term "Palestinian Christians"? And who is being forced to adopt it?

I know the answers because I have met Greeks from the Levante and the reason they left their homes is the constant problems they had with muslims (not with jews). They told me that even this term "Palestinian Christians" is a form of persecution from the muslim majority, the Greeks never wanted to call themselves "Palestinians", not to mention that many of them today are basically Atheists and definitely they are not "Palestinian Christians".

2cents

Scout
Did any Christian community in the Levante call themselves "Palestinian Christians" before 1940? Did this term exist before 1940?
Yes. I’ve no idea where you’re getting “1940” from but as I’ve stated, a sense of a distinct Palestinian national identity had been developing since the last decade of the 19th century, and not only did the Christians of Palestine adopt this identity to one degree or another over the course of the first decades of the 20th century, many were at the forefront of developing it in the first place, and with it in rejecting the Zionist project to transform the land.

Who created this term "Palestinian Christians"? And who is being forced to adopt it?
Nobody was or is forced to adopt it. The term is simply used to refer to that section of the Palestinian nation who are of the Christian faith, and the term “Palestinian” was not imposed or forced on anyone, it developed organically as a means by which the Arabic-speaking Muslims and Christians of Palestine came to express their collective identity in modern nationalist terms.

I know the answers because I have met Greeks from the Levante and the reason they left their homes is the constant problems they had with muslims (not with jews). They told me that even this term "Palestinian Christians" is a form of persecution from the muslim majority, the Greeks never wanted to call themselves "Palestinians", not to mention that many of them today are basically Atheists and definitely they are not "Palestinian Christians".
I can’t comment on what is essentially anecdotal evidence, but you need to make it clear who exactly you’re referring to when you say “Greeks from the Levante”? Do you mean Greek-speaking clergymen (who are not really relevant to this discussion at all), or Arabs who are members of the Greek Orthodox Church? If the latter, then all I can respond with is that, also anecdotally, I’ve never heard them identifying themselves as “Greek”, certainly not in Palestine in modern times. As I’ve pointed out repeatedly at this stage, it was Arabic-speaking members of the Greek Orthodox Church who to a disproportionate degree helped pioneer the use of the term “Palestinian” in the late 19th/early 20th centuries. And indeed all across the region Arab Christians played a disproportionate role in the development of Arab nationalism.

In any case, you are hung up over the term “Palestinian” and whether you know it or not you are regurgitating the classic Zionist argument that because the Arabic-speakers of Palestine were a little late in adopting a modern nationalist discourse in order to express their collective identity and with it their claim to the land, therefore Palestinian national identity is somehow fake, imposed from above, or as you put it “forced”, and as a result can have no legitimate national claim.

But it doesn’t really matter at all when the Arabic-speakers of Palestine adopted this modern national identity, the particular term they use to express it, or any alternative/over-lapping forms of national identity they may have harbored at the same time. The fact is that since the middle of the 7th century a recognizable society had taken shape in Palestine that was characterized by use of the Arabic language, by participation in the dominant Arabo-Islamic civilization of the wider region, and that by the 19th century was overwhelmingly Muslim, although Christians had always comprised an important element too. That society survived the Crusades and survived the imposition of Turkish rule, retaining its essential characteristics despite changes in dynastic rule and the inevitable ebb and flow of population due to migration that always happens over the course of the centuries. It began adopting a modern, national identity at the end of the 19th century due to various trends and pressures.

There was nothing unusual about this in terms of the wider Middle East or indeed anywhere else, except for the fact that at the same time a rival modern nationalist movement with its origins in an entirely different context laid claim to the same territory and attempted, with some degree of success, to transform the centuries-long established, dominant Arabic-speaking society of Palestine into a demographic and political minority in its own land.

owlo

They claim descent from all sorts, starting from Roman times. It's a largely asinine discussion with regards to the conflict, and ignores entirely the diversity of Christian communities in Israel. Entirely outside the scope of this discussion, but I'd call the bolded 'somewhat/essentially untrue.' I didn't want to go down this road here as it could be inflammatory, but

- Palestinian/Israeli/Lebanese Arab Christians are all the same exact thing. They are essentially 'Levantine Christians' and distinct from Palestinian Muslims.
- These Christians don't have an Arabic nor African admixture. Palestinian Muslims do.
- It's a modern group of [Christian] people who've attached their named to Palestinian nationalism. Nothing to do with history.

2cents

Scout
owlo said:
They claim descent from all sorts, starting from Roman times.
Yes, we can of course go back further than the mid-7th century, and broaden the scope, but it's not necessary, since the Arab-Islamic conquest is the defining historical moment that shaped the broad nature of the society that endured there until the mid-20th century, and whose characteristics shaped the development and nature of Palestinian nationalism in the modern age. It is absolutely true that in pre-modern times this society was divided along several social cleavages - religious, sectarian, tribal, urban-rural, regional, etc. - and shared most of these characteristics with neighboring societies. And it is true that these remain a source of tension within Palestinian nationalism to this day.

- Palestinian/Israeli/Lebanese Arab Christians are all the same exact thing. They are essentially 'Levantine Christians' and distinct from Palestinian Muslims.
I'm not sure what point you're making here, especially given that you've just (correctly) noted the diversity of Christians in the region, e.g. Maronites in Lebanon certainly have, in history, distinguished themselves from rival Christian churches in the region, and obviously played the leading role in developing a distinct Lebanese national identity in modern times.

owlo said:
- These Christians don't have an Arabic nor African admixture. Palestinian Muslims do.
Do you mean in a racial/genetic sense, as in descended from the Arabian peninsula? Some historians argue that the Maronites originated in Yemen, and as I wrote above, others argue that the region was undergoing a process of Arabization via tribal migration for quite some time before Islam. In any case, it's not really relevant, Arab identity is not based on racial or genetic descent (although this is often a source of pride for those families able to trace their lineage back), but on a common cultural and ethnic consciousness that is defined by a shared language and history.

owlo said:
- It's a modern group of [Christian] people who've attached their named to Palestinian nationalism. Nothing to do with history.
Again I don't really understand this point. Nationalism in all its forms is a product of modernity, and in the Palestinian case Christians were major contributors. They didn't attach themselves to a pre-existing nationalist ideology that was alien to them, they were involved in its development right from the start, as they were elsewhere in the region in the development of Syrian nationalism and pan-Arab nationalism.

owlo

Yes, we can of course go back further than the mid-7th century, and broaden the scope, but it's not necessary, since the Arab-Islamic conquest is the defining historical moment that shaped the broad nature of the society that endured there until the mid-20th century, and whose characteristics shaped the development and nature of Palestinian nationalism in the modern age. It is absolutely true that in pre-modern times this society was divided along several social cleavages - religious, sectarian, tribal, urban-rural, regional, etc. - and shared most of these characteristics with neighboring societies. And it is true that these remain a source of tension within Palestinian nationalism to this day.

I'm not sure what point you're making here, especially given that you've just (correctly) noted the diversity of Christians in the region, e.g. Maronites in Lebanon certainly have, in history, distinguished themselves from rival Christian churches in the region, and obviously played the leading role in developing a distinct Lebanese national identity in modern times.

Do you mean in a racial/genetic sense, as in descended from the Arabian peninsula? Some historians argue that the Maronites originated in Yemen, and as I wrote above, others argue that the region was undergoing a process of Arabization via tribal migration for quite some time before Islam. In any case, it's not really relevant, Arab identity is not based on racial or genetic descent (although this is often a source of pride for those families able to trace their lineage back), but on a common cultural and ethnic consciousness that is defined by a shared language and history.

Again I don't really understand this point. Nationalism in all its forms is a product of modernity, and in the Palestinian case Christians were major contributors. They didn't attach themselves to a pre-existing nationalist ideology that was alien to them, they were involved in its development right from the start, as they were elsewhere in the region in the development of Syrian nationalism and pan-Arab nationalism.
Yes, I'm mostly basing it on genetics, as there's not really another objective way to define ancient ancestry to my knowledge. The Christians in the region have no DNA indicating significant differentials between say Lebanese, Zionist, or Palestinians. They are closest to Samaritans and very different from Muslim Palestinians. And their ancestry is mostly Ancient Israelite. There's nothing to suggest that their ancestry was modified by Islamic/Arabic conquest.

My central claim is that: 'Palestinian Christian' is an entirely modern (c19/c20) construct distinct from ancient development, because there is really nothing to define what a 'Palestinian Christian' might be. Those [Christians] in c7/c8 did not significantly shape Palestinian nationalism as a group, nor could have done given the diversity of the groups thinking and size of the group. If a small proportion of the descendents of an ancient group identify as 'Christian Palestinian' that is their choice, but it's irrelevant insofar as anything is concerned. I don't see linkage/causation between the ancient Christian peoples and the modern movement. You mentioned Maronites for example as active in history, but there's been no historical Palestinian Christian movement. To me the whole argument is something akin to "I have Viking ancestry, therefore I'm a British Nationalist" - It simply doesn't compute.

I'd be pretty okay with a statement like 'Palestinian Christians descended from Ancient Israelites with some European ancestry mixed in.' (It's fairly conclusive that Philistines were from Europe).

We're agreed. A group of modern Christians attached themselves to a cause. (from it's foundation/development). And other groups of Christians [with the same ancestry] attached themselves to different and even competing causes.

If the nature of ancient society had shaped these people in some way towards Palestinian Nationalism, why are there so many differing and competing points of view with regards to it there?

owlo

This isn't very good, but I've not had the energy to find too much more data. It's a PCA plot. I could add others later if people are interested. 'Beit Sahour' is essentially Palestinian Christians. You can play on https://vahaduo.github.io/custompca/ if you can be bothered to find data.

2cents

Scout
I'll take your word on the DNA stuff. Personally I have absolutely no interest in it and view it as entirely irrelevant in this discussion.

owlo said:
My central claim is that: 'Palestinian Christian' is an entirely modern (c19/c20) construct distinct from ancient development, because there is really nothing to define what a 'Palestinian Christian' might be. Those [Christians] in c7/c8 did not significantly shape Palestinian nationalism as a group, nor could have done given the diversity of the groups thinking and size of the group. If a small proportion of the descendents of an ancient group identify as 'Christian Palestinian' that is their choice, but it's irrelevant insofar as anything is concerned. I don't see linkage/causation between the ancient Christian peoples and the modern movement. You mentioned Maronites for example as active in history, but there's been no historical Palestinian Christian movement. To me the whole argument is something akin to "I have Viking ancestry, therefore I'm a British Nationalist" - It simply doesn't compute.
I agree that "Palestinian" identity is a modern construct, just as all national identities are. I disagree that it represents an absolutely novel, clean break with the past, which is what you seem to be suggesting here (correct me if I'm wrong). Nationalism in all forms draws on myths and invented traditions, and in some cases (though not in the Palestinian case for the most part) ideals of racial purity, but it also draws on a real, genuine shared sense of collective belonging, based on history, language, etc. At the time when nationalism developed among the Arabic-speakers of Palestine, the Christian element of that society shared in that collective sense of belonging, which itself drew on a history and cultural consciousness largely shaped by the consequences of the Islamic conquest. But of course it is true that there were alternative, sometimes over-lapping, sometimes competing sources of identity with the potential to shape alternative identities and perhaps separate destinies for the Arabs of Palestine. That they didn't is down to historical contingency.

The Maronite case is illustrative. They developed a distinct form of nationalism due to their particular circumstances - they were concentrated largely in a small, definable geographic region, and had long established ties with Western Europe due to their links with Rome, and in the 19th century with France. Whereas the Arab Christians of Palestine and the rest of Syria, who were for the most part Greek Orthodox, were geographically dispersed, often in conflict with their church authorities, and had much less firmly established ties with a foreign power (it was traditionally Russia but Russian support tended to go to the Greek hierarchy rather than the laity). In those particular circumstances, the Arab Christians of Syria and Palestine developed nationalism along lines that linked them with rather than separated them from their Muslim neighbors.

owlo said:
If the nature of ancient society had shaped these people in some way towards Palestinian Nationalism, why are there so many differing and competing points of view with regards to it there?
Because the development of nationalism is contingent on a multiplicity of factors, not pre-determined in any way, and because nationalist identity rarely neatly corresponds with defined categories of identity. There is always overlap with alternative, competing sources of identity. None of them in themselves have a determining factor on the outcome. I am not arguing that the nature of the society that developed in Palestine after the Arab-Islamic conquest inevitably produced the Palestinian nationalism we are familiar with today. I am arguing that the Palestinian nationalism that was ultimately produced by the specific circumstances of the late 19th/early 20th centuries derived its primary characteristics from the nature of that society, which happened to include an important Christian element.

As for the differing and competing points of view, again it boils down to historical contingency. The Arabs of Palestine began to develop a shared sense of national consciousness in the context of the late Ottoman Empire era of reform, Hamidian dictatorship, and CUP liberalism, but it didn't express itself politically, i.e. in the demand for a distinct Palestinian state until much later. This is because they also harbored an Ottoman identity, the product of centuries of Ottoman rule and the prestige associated with it, and of the 19th century idea of 'Ottomanism', and so remained loyal to the continuance of the Ottoman Empire while it existed. They also had a shared sense of identity with their neighbors in Syria, across the Jordan, and in Lebanon. Following the First World War, the idea that Palestine constituted a region within a greater Syria developed, as the establishment of the Hashimite Kingdom of Syria (1918-1920) fueled hopes that the destiny of the Arabs of Palestine was one they shared with their Arab neighbors. In these circumstances a Greater Syrian nationalism was born. The French brought an end to that kingdom in 1920, and the establishment of the mandate for Palestine, a product of British imperial interests which explicitly emphasized the project of facilitating the development of a national home for the Jews there, brought into sharp relief that reality that their destiny would be shaped by these new circumstances. With the failure of the Palestinian Arab effort to thwart the establishment of Israel in 1948, pan-Arab nationalism came to appeal to Palestinian Arabs as a potential means by which to reverse their defeat, but was itself almost entirely discredit by defeat in 1967, after which the specifically Islamic component of Palestinian Arab identity really came to the fore.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
If the nature of ancient society had shaped these people in some way towards the Jewish religion / Zionism, why are there so many differing and competing points of view with regards to it there?

And out of interest, what is your point viz a viz this argument? Frostbite's is only incredibly thinly veiled but just wondering what yours is?

owlo

If the nature of ancient society had shaped these people in some way towards the Jewish religion / Zionism, why are there so many differing and competing points of view with regards to it there?

And out of interest, what is your point viz a viz this argument? Frostbite's is only incredibly thinly veiled but just wondering what yours is?
There's a lot of cries of 'anti semitism' and 'temple denial' blabla when you talk about genetic results or early history. There's also the issue of 'disagreeing with the bible' which a lot of both Jews and Christians dislike. And there's stuff Palestinians dislike too. Therefore discourse is sometimes 'sanitised' to make everybody happy.

My personal view is that the modern state of Israel has little to nothing to do with ancient Israelites, Arabs, or anything else. To support claims and incite more nationalism [and on the Jewish side ensure a 'state' rather than just a 'home'], these 'ancient history facts' were used. Yes, Israel was Israel before the Romans threw them out. Yes, the Philistine cities did exist. There's even 'Phoenicianism' which is a sort of Lebanese nationalism claiming more land, based on millenia old Phoenicia. I also think that the Kingdom of Judah was far smaller and less impressive than biblical accounts, and that Solomon was a local warlord.

The problem is you can't juxtaposition these claims into the modern day, because the geopolitics is entirely different, not to mention the people. Jews are no longer Israelites (check my post history, I'm no antisemite), they are generally European because of the Roman expulsion. Palestinians aren't either, and the closest you get is Samaritans [and some Bedouin Druze] .

My point is, I just wish people would stop mentioning ancient claims as some sort of claim to the land or explanation for why they deserve it. They are mostly inaccurate and always useless insofar as solving the modern conflict. It's never been about descendants etc, but always about using and twisting it in advancing modern nationalism. I dont think the nature of ancient society has significantly shaped either Zionism or Palestinian nationalism.

I'll take your word on the DNA stuff. Personally I have absolutely no interest in it and view it as entirely irrelevant in this discussion.
If people are arguing the ancient origins of a people, it's relevant to them. I'd agree it's not to you though and agree it should be entirely irrelevant in an Israel/Palestine discussion.[/quote]

I agree that "Palestinian" identity is a modern construct, just as all national identities are. I disagree that it represents an absolutely novel, clean break with the past, which is what you seem to be suggesting here (correct me if I'm wrong). Nationalism in all forms draws on myths and invented traditions, and in some cases (though not in the Palestinian case for the most part) ideals of racial purity, but it also draws on a real, genuine shared sense of collective belonging, based on history, language, etc. At the time when nationalism developed among the Arabic-speakers of Palestine, the Christian element of that society shared in that collective sense of belonging, which itself drew on a history and cultural consciousness largely shaped by the consequences of the Islamic conquest. But of course it is true that there were alternative, sometimes over-lapping, sometimes competing sources of identity with the potential to shape alternative identities and perhaps separate destinies for the Arabs of Palestine. That they didn't is down to historical contingency.
I'm not saying that it's a clear break with the past, but that 1300 years is too far in the past to be relevant. The ancient past is generally just used for symbolism. If you argued the conflict is a product of European Imperialism, then yes. But I think there are too many variables to go back as far as c7 and start there. You could perhaps go back to the Mamluks for a shared experience of Christians and Jews, but in general I'd probably start writing from Ottoman rule for the 'Origins of Palestinian Nationalism.' If you do want to trace Christians back to C7, I think genetics matter there most.

The Maronite case is illustrative. They developed a distinct form of nationalism due to their particular circumstances - they were concentrated largely in a small, definable geographic region, and had long established ties with Western Europe due to their links with Rome, and in the 19th century with France. Whereas the Arab Christians of Palestine and the rest of Syria, who were for the most part Greek Orthodox, were geographically dispersed, often in conflict with their church authorities, and had much less firmly established ties with a foreign power (it was traditionally Russia but Russian support tended to go to the Greek hierarchy rather than the laity). In those particular circumstances, the Arab Christians of Syria and Palestine developed nationalism along lines that linked them with rather than separated them from their Muslim neighbors.
Again, I'd argue these are medieval onwards (C14+) factors shaping events, rather than anything ancient. We can again point to the Mamluks displacing them inland [to prevent such contact]. You mention the Greek Orthodox, but these conflicts were again later, and a good place to start would likely be the Sacking of Aleppo. (Events that will be told strongly for generations to harbour prejudice)

Because the development of nationalism is contingent on a multiplicity of factors, not pre-determined in any way, and because nationalist identity rarely neatly corresponds with defined categories of identity. There is always overlap with alternative, competing sources of identity. None of them in themselves have a determining factor on the outcome. I am not arguing that the nature of the society that developed in Palestine after the Arab-Islamic conquest inevitably produced the Palestinian nationalism we are familiar with today. I am arguing that the Palestinian nationalism that was ultimately produced by the specific circumstances of the late 19th/early 20th centuries derived its primary characteristics from the nature of that society, which happened to include an important Christian element.

As for the differing and competing points of view, again it boils down to historical contingency. The Arabs of Palestine began to develop a shared sense of national consciousness in the context of the late Ottoman Empire era of reform, Hamidian dictatorship, and CUP liberalism, but it didn't express itself politically, i.e. in the demand for a distinct Palestinian state until much later. This is because they also harbored an Ottoman identity, the product of centuries of Ottoman rule and the prestige associated with it, and of the 19th century idea of 'Ottomanism', and so remained loyal to the continuance of the Ottoman Empire while it existed. They also had a shared sense of identity with their neighbors in Syria, across the Jordan, and in Lebanon. Following the First World War, the idea that Palestine constituted a region within a greater Syria developed, as the establishment of the Hashimite Kingdom of Syria (1918-1920) fueled hopes that the destiny of the Arabs of Palestine was one they shared with their Arab neighbors. In these circumstances a Greater Syrian nationalism was born. The French brought an end to that kingdom in 1920, and the establishment of the mandate for Palestine, a product of British imperial interests which explicitly emphasized the project of facilitating the development of a national home for the Jews there, brought into sharp relief that reality that their destiny would be shaped by these new circumstances. With the failure of the Palestinian Arab effort to thwart the establishment of Israel in 1948, pan-Arab nationalism came to appeal to Palestinian Arabs as a potential means by which to reverse their defeat, but was itself almost entirely discredit by defeat in 1967, after which the specifically Islamic component of Palestinian Arab identity really came to the fore.
Yes, we are agreed with the bold. And the historical development for me, will have begin in the late medieval era. If you were to argue that 'Christian Palestinians' were born in the late Ottoman period, I could buy it. But ancient Christians, nope.

Ps. I've intentionally not included anything about 'New Israels' though I'm aware it took root in Europe in C8/C9~.

2cents

Scout
I'm not saying that it's a clear break with the past, but that 1300 years is too far in the past to be relevant. The ancient past is generally just used for symbolism. If you argued the conflict is a product of European Imperialism, then yes. But I think there are too many variables to go back as far as c7 and start there. You could perhaps go back to the Mamluks for a shared experience of Christians and Jews, but in general I'd probably start writing from Ottoman rule for the 'Origins of Palestinian Nationalism.' If you do want to trace Christians back to C7, I think genetics matter there most
It's as relevant as the population of the region perceive it to be in the construction of their nationalist enterprise and mythology. And since the late 19th century Palestinian Christians have been at the forefront of emphasizing the relevance of their Arabo-Islamic heritage in the elaboration of their national identity. Of course Palestinians, Christian and Muslim, can and do argue among themselves over the particular emphasis or weight given to this or that element of the national identity, but it's not really up to outsiders to determine it for them.

However, I would argue that the reason it has held a particular relevance in this case is because it is an objectively important and identifiable historical episode, being the moment that the nascent Arabo-Islamic civilization began to impose itself on the population of Palestine, Christian, Jew and Muslim alike, ultimately surviving Crusader, Mamluk and Ottoman rule, and also the various demographic shifts which likely occurred across the centuries. Clearly it resonated for the Arabic speaking Christians and Muslims of the late 19th century in a way that their supposed Canaanite heritage, their DNA, or whatever happened under the Mamluks in the 14th century did not.

owlo

It's as relevant as the population of the region perceive it to be in the construction of their nationalist enterprise and mythology. And since the late 19th century Palestinian Christians have been at the forefront of emphasizing the relevance of their Arabo-Islamic heritage in the elaboration of their national identity. Of course Palestinians, Christian and Muslim, can and do argue among themselves over the particular emphasis or weight given to this or that element of the national identity, but it's not really up to outsiders to determine it for them.

However, I would argue that the reason it has held a particular relevance in this case is because it is an objectively important and identifiable historical episode, being the moment that the nascent Arabo-Islamic civilization began to impose itself on the population of Palestine, Christian, Jew and Muslim alike, ultimately surviving Crusader, Mamluk and Ottoman rule, and also the various demographic shifts which likely occurred across the centuries. Clearly it resonated for the Arabic speaking Christians and Muslims of the late 19th century in a way that their supposed Canaanite heritage, their DNA, or whatever happened under the Mamluks in the 14th century did not.
Two strands here:

If I'm a white supremacist, I [and others of my clan or whatever] can use my viking ancestry and perceive viking supremacy and utilise it's history and mythology to further my theory of white supremacy.
This does not mean that it's true, and that vikings themselves believed in such nonsense, or that there's any causation within or exogenically to the formation of white supremacy. It just means I've cherry picked a bit of my past to my own needs.

Therefore it follows, that my perception is creating history, rather than relying on it. [just like Palestinians or Jews claiming lands based on ancient peoples]

And again, we're in agreement that the 19th century was important, and ancient times were irrelevant! My argument was against the 7th century and 'Ancient' influences, not 19th or even colonial or medieval ones.

2cents

Scout
Two strands here:

If I'm a white supremacist, I [and others of my clan or whatever] can use my viking ancestry and perceive viking supremacy and utilise it's history and mythology to further my theory of white supremacy.
This does not mean that it's true, and that vikings themselves believed in such nonsense, or that there's any causation within or exogenically to the formation of white supremacy. It just means I've cherry picked a bit of my past to my own needs.

Therefore it follows, that my perception is creating history, rather than relying on it. [just like Palestinians or Jews claiming lands based on ancient peoples]

And again, we're in agreement that the 19th century was important, and ancient times were irrelevant! My argument was against the 7th century and 'Ancient' influences, not 19th or even colonial or medieval ones.
I suspect the more useful analogy here would be the relationship of modern forms of nationalism in Scandinavia with the Viking heritage of the region. Since it's not something I know anything about, I can't say much more.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
How are Palestinians creating history or relying on it? Your whole argument makes very little sense given that the land was owned and occupied by Palestinians before 1947.

Who’s even arguing about an ancient claim to the land? Can you show me any posts that suggest that?

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Great thread questioning the motives of the three British Not-Tourists that moved to an internationally recognised illegal settlement and were killed:

owlo

How are Palestinians creating history or relying on it? Your whole argument makes very little sense given that the land was owned and occupied by Palestinians before 1947.

Who’s even arguing about an ancient claim to the land? Can you show me any posts that suggest that?
I was specifically replying to posts stating the ancient origins of 'Palestinian Christians.'

Dude has literally invented his own argument tangent out of the simple fact that there’s been Christians from Palestine for 1800 years.
Rather different than Christian Palestinians isn't it. The fact a people have been there for 3200 years has absolutely nothing to do with either Palestinians or Christianity or Jews or anything else. A few of them simply picked up the torches along the way. It's indicative of nothing.

2cents

Scout
A few photographs of the Western Wall area in Jerusalem from around 1910/11. I believe they were used as evidence in the British-appointed commission that investigated the violence of 1929:

2cents

Scout
This is a good overview/breakdown of what has been apparent for quite some time:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Yes, this is more or less correct. Of course, it fails to answer some crucial questions.

Those greeks sound like many other balkans who like to re-invent history.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
There's a lot of cries of 'anti semitism' and 'temple denial' blabla when you talk about genetic results or early history. There's also the issue of 'disagreeing with the bible' which a lot of both Jews and Christians dislike. And there's stuff Palestinians dislike too. Therefore discourse is sometimes 'sanitised' to make everybody happy.

My personal view is that the modern state of Israel has little to nothing to do with ancient Israelites, Arabs, or anything else. To support claims and incite more nationalism [and on the Jewish side ensure a 'state' rather than just a 'home'], these 'ancient history facts' were used. Yes, Israel was Israel before the Romans threw them out. Yes, the Philistine cities did exist. There's even 'Phoenicianism' which is a sort of Lebanese nationalism claiming more land, based on millenia old Phoenicia. I also think that the Kingdom of Judah was far smaller and less impressive than biblical accounts, and that Solomon was a local warlord.

The problem is you can't juxtaposition these claims into the modern day, because the geopolitics is entirely different, not to mention the people. Jews are no longer Israelites (check my post history, I'm no antisemite), they are generally European because of the Roman expulsion. Palestinians aren't either, and the closest you get is Samaritans [and some Bedouin Druze] .

My point is, I just wish people would stop mentioning ancient claims as some sort of claim to the land or explanation for why they deserve it. They are mostly inaccurate and always useless insofar as solving the modern conflict. It's never been about descendants etc, but always about using and twisting it in advancing modern nationalism. I dont think the nature of ancient society has significantly shaped either Zionism or Palestinian nationalism.
Except of course ancient claims are the very bedrock of the claim to the land and a driving force behind zionism coalescing around this particular tract of land as opposed to any other. How can that even be denied?

There is a very clear reason and obvious people often try to totally remove any historical link the Palestinians have to living there and its becoming less and less subtle. It is an attempt to delegitimise the people living there, remove their agency and make it more palatable to remove their rights/ potentially eventually remove them from the land entirely.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

Here’s a Palestinian Christian, who identifies as a Palestinian Christian, talking about the Palestinian Christian community and how they are also subject to oppression and apartheid.

Spoony

The People's President
Except of course ancient claims are the very bedrock of the claim to the land and a driving force behind zionism coalescing around this particular tract of land as opposed to any other. How can that even be denied?

There is a very clear reason and obvious people often try to totally remove any historical link the Palestinians have to living there and its becoming less and less subtle. It is an attempt to delegitimise the people living there, remove their agency and make it more palatable to remove their rights/ potentially eventually remove them from the land entirely.
The Palestinians Muslims, Christians and Mizrahi Jews of the area are too closely linked genetically to be considered separate. But yeah the agenda is too obvious. Not that it should surprise anyone.

AlPistacho

Here’s a Palestinian Christian, who identifies as a Palestinian Christian, talking about the Palestinian Christian community and how they are also subject to oppression and apartheid.
I think discrimination against Palestinian Christians, or even highlighting the Christian Palestinian exists , is often ignored because it would cause cognitive dissonance in the minds of many Americans.

But here is a group of settlers spitting on Christian nuns.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGJm5pNv4/

owlo

It's a bullshit claim, for both the Jews and the Palestinians.

The Palestinians Muslims, Christians and Mizrahi Jews of the area are too closely linked genetically to be considered separate. But yeah the agenda is too obvious. Not that it should surprise anyone.
This is untrue.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine