Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Yeah, the Ukraine war has really brought to light the effectiveness of drones, which Hamas appear to have used in this attack as well. Can't see any other result of this than a full on Israeli takeover of Gaza at this point, as anything short of that will be seen as weakness that emboldens more future attacks. Also worth bearing in mind that we're dealing with Netanyahu here, not Lapid or Bennett.
Don't think it too far off until we see drone-based acts of terror on a target like a stadium, etc. in the near future.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Unfortunately, it won't work and as with every previous rocket attack campaign, will result in the needless deaths of hundreds or thousands of people in Gaza.
For Hamas it won't work because Israel is too strong. But they're being played by Iran anyways and for Iran, it works perfectly according to their plan. They force Israel into a long guerilla fight that costs billions, weakens them on a financial and social level and widens the rift even further in the region. Every effort to normalize relations to other muslim countries is destroyed and the Mullah regime grows stronger.

owlo

Yeah, the Ukraine war has really brought to light the effectiveness of drones, which Hamas appear to have used in this attack as well. Can't see any other result of this than a full on Israeli takeover of Gaza at this point, as anything short of that will be seen as weakness that emboldens more future attacks. Also worth bearing in mind that we're dealing with Netanyahu here, not Lapid or Bennett.
I agree. This feels like a 9/11 type situation in Israel. I don't think the leadership matters when the populace goes completely bloodthirsty. They are backed into a corner and can only be reined in should international partners choose to do so. There may be the question of low Nato ammo stocks etc, but gaza is quite tiny, and if they choose the level of brutality we expect, it will be over soon. They won't allow the sort of urban warfare that we see in Ukraine; they'll flatten it.

The hostage thing is somewhat interesting, but I feel we're going to see more Entebbe than negotiation.

Don't think it too far off until we see drone-based acts of terror on a target like a stadium, etc. in the near future.
They've been trying that for years. Israeli security is pretty good in that respect. Ordnance a problem too.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I agree. This feels like a 9/11 type situation in Israel. I don't think the leadership matters when the populace goes completely bloodthirsty. They are backed into a corner and can only be reined in should international partners choose to do so. There may be the question of low Nato ammo stocks etc, but gaza is quite tiny, and if they choose the level of brutality we expect, it will be over soon. They won't allow the sort of urban warfare that we see in Ukraine; they'll flatten it.

The hostage thing is somewhat interesting, but I feel we're going to see more Entebbe than negotiation.

They've been trying that for years. Israeli security is pretty good in that respect. Ordnance a problem too.
I'm talking worldwide.

A simple grenade or light ordnance dropped from a drone into the seats at an event would be like a mini-suicide bomb but with far less variables on the terrorist's end.

owlo

I'm talking worldwide.

A simple grenade or light ordnance dropped from a drone into the seats at an event would be like a mini-suicide bomb but with far less variables on the terrorist's end.
Yea you're right. ISIS as well as Ukraine and Russia use them, but luckily the average homegrown terrorist is too stupid. I assume they use drone dome at major events, but it's not great.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I don't think you can blame Russia here; they don't benefit from Israeli instability these days.

Of course they benefit greatly, their statement is no coincidence either. Every new problem for the western world that requires attention and financial help weakens the unity against Russia and actual help to Ukraine. Russia wants to overwhelm the west with wars and refugees so they can't focus on Ukraine. Putin doesn't even hide it when he talks about the Anglo-Saxon colonial rule being over.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
None, except to get the hell out of there and make a life for themselves elsewhere. Ideally with reparation payments from regional powers primarily Israel and Jordan. Realistically I agree with you.

It's why there's so much immigration to the West from the rest of the world. (and from the USA!) Because there is a tacit acceptance that they have 'lost' and need to get out of there before dying to a local warlord or local authority.

There's next to no coverage about the Russian atrocities in Syria, or about Turkey. I'd say there's more focus on Israel than either.
So self ethnic cleansing in effect, with little pushes by Israel?

I thought you meant Russian atrocities in Ukraine, of which there is of course almost non stop coverage in the west.

owlo

Of course they benefit greatly. Every new problem for the western world that requieres attention and financial help weakens the unity and actual help to Ukraine. Russia wants to overwhelm the west with wars and refugees so they can't focus on Ukraine. Putin doesn't even hide it when he talks about colonial reign of the Anglo Saxons is over.
Pretending that Lavrov is important or in the inner circle is naive. He's always hated Israel. Russia benefits from this chaos, but they also benefit from Israeli victory.

So self ethnic cleansing in effect, with little pushes by Israel?

I thought you meant Russian atrocities in Ukraine, of which there is of course almost non stop coverage in the west.
Correct. It is ethnic cleansing. Israel are in the wrong. But you asked what choice they have. And my belief is they have the same choice as refugees in any number of countries. Do you believe they have a better option?

And yes, Ukraine is the darling of the Western media as it's in Europe, on the doorsteps of NATO, and Russia is the foe. The same as Palestine gets airtime because it's an Arab priority and result of colonial power play. Objectively there are sadly many worse things happening in the world, which the west just doesn't care about. (Except to say NO REFUGEES, GO AWAY AND DIE) I'd rather live in the Palestinian Territories than about 100 countries in the world sadly...

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Pretending that Lavrov is important or in the inner circle is naive. He's always hated Israel. Russia benefits from this chaos, but they also benefit from Israeli victory.
Lavrov is the mouthpiece of Putin to talk in a more radical way, that doesn't suit the head of state. If you think he opens his mouth without making sure Putin supports it is naive.

Superden

I'm sorry but some of these takes are beyond offensive, completely ignoring decades of abuse and war crimes committed by Israel.

when Israelis quote 5000 yr old scriptures to justify apartheid who is exactly taking like out the middle ages?

I find it abhorrent to parade bodies, but to draw the line at that and not firing missiles into apartment buildings or using white phosphorus on densely populated areas is just appalling hypocrisy.

Sweet Square

Just a reminder of what life is like in Isreal and Gaza

The Guardian - People drink, snack and pose for selfies against a background of explosions as Palestinian death toll mounts in ongoing offensive

owlo

Yes. This is what is expected of occupants in the West Bank/Gaza. Bend over and take it, or move somewhere else. Sing Kumbaya/We Shall Overcome as you exit please.
What conflict in history has ended differently? The cleansing in the US, Canada, Australia, Roman Empire, South Africa, Iran, China, and everywhere else has ended like this.

nimic

something nice
Scout
What conflict in history has ended differently? The cleansing in the US, Canada, Australia, Roman Empire, South Africa, Iran, China, and everywhere else has ended like this.
By far most wars in history did not end in ethnic cleansing. You can't just list places (and the Roman Empire, like that didn't last two thousand years in many different forms and had an extremely diverse ethnic, linguistic and religious composition) as if that's some kind of argument.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Anyone else initially failed to realize that the Iron Dome failed? The pictures of missiles and rockets impacts made no sense for a few minutes.

owlo

By far most wars in history did not end in ethnic cleansing. You can't just list places (and the Roman Empire, like that didn't last two thousand years in many different forms and had an extremely diverse ethnic, linguistic and religious composition) as if that's some kind of argument.
Which war with which an indigenous population which was faced with a superior armed 'settler' occupier, did not end like this? Say in the last 200 years. Even stuff like the Boer wars and WWII ended with ethnic cleansing.

MDFC Manager

Which war with which an indigenous population which was faced with a superior armed 'settler' occupier, did not end like this? Say in the last 200 years. Even stuff like the Boer wars and WWII ended with ethnic cleansing.
I thought we are living in the most morally superior times in the planet's history. Guess i was wrong.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Anyone else initially failed to realize that the Iron Dome failed? The pictures of missiles and rockets impacts made no sense for a few minutes.
Hard to say it failed. More like overwhelmed by the number of rockets. I don't think its set up for such a volume of inbound in such a short period of time.

owlo

I thought we are living in the most morally superior times in the planet's history. Guess i was wrong.
Nah, humans are shit. Always have been, always will be. Brutal and nasty species. Look at the planet and what we've done to every 'lesser' species. We're no better than we ever were.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Hard to say it failed. More like overwhelmed by the number of rockets. I don't think its set up for such a volume of inbound in such a short period of time.
Exactly, it failed. There is a good reason for it but it failed, if a cable overheat due to overload then we still state that the cable fail. It's not a criticism but a simple observation.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Exactly, it failed. There is a good reason for it but it failed, if a cable overheat due to overload then we still state that the cable fail. It's not a criticism but a simple observation.
Yeah of course. It didn't fail because the technology was faulty, is what I was saying.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Do people condemn Israel for fighting back against Hamas or do people condemn Israel for killing civilians? Pretty big distinction there I think

What do you think the appropriate response by Israel is to this, just out of interest? Would Israel be justified in carpet bombing Gaza and killing Palestinian civilians now, in your view?
Yes they always do. The appropriate response is what the Uk would do if this happened on our soil. Especially a nation that lost 6.5 million people due to anti semitism.

The world failed the Jews, it’s failing them again. Make no mistake, not a single country in the Middle East would blink an eye lid if Israel got wipe off the face of the earth, in fact this is their wet dream.

Simbo

Another massive wave of rockets currently being fired into Israel.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes they always do. The appropriate response is what the Uk would do if this happened on our soil. Especially a nation that lost 6.5 million people due to anti semitism.

The world failed the Jews, it’s failing them again. Make no mistake, not a single country in the Middle East would blink an eye lid if Israel got wipe off the face of the earth, in fact this is their wet dream.
The 1960s called and asked for its talking points back.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Correct. It is ethnic cleansing. Israel are in the wrong. But you asked what choice they have. And my belief is they have the same choice as refugees in any number of countries. Do you believe they have a better option?

And yes, Ukraine is the darling of the Western media as it's in Europe, on the doorsteps of NATO, and Russia is the foe. The same as Palestine gets airtime because it's an Arab priority and result of colonial power play. Objectively there are sadly many worse things happening in the world, which the west just doesn't care about. (Except to say NO REFUGEES, GO AWAY AND DIE) I'd rather live in the Palestinian Territories than about 100 countries in the world sadly...
Fair enough. Thank you for being honest at least.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I guess you could argue the point of no return was long ago but otherwise this is it.

Revan

Assumptionman
For Hamas it won't work because Israel is too strong. But they're being played by Iran anyways and for Iran, it works perfectly according to their plan. They force Israel into a long guerilla fight that costs billions, weakens them on a financial and social level and widens the rift even further in the region. Every effort to normalize relations to other muslim countries is destroyed and the Mullah regime grows stronger.
If Iran is behind this (I would be extremely surprised if them and Russia are not involved), Israel will likely retaliate heavily against them. We already know that Israel’s F35 fly over Teheran, they can also bomb Teheran.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
@Solius @Rado_N @golden_blunder @Damien @Niall are you guys going to allow someone to label Jewish people or Israelis as Nazis? Does that fly on redcafe.net?
Of course you can label a state as nazis, if the state’s military action has a fascist bent. It happens regularly in many contexts. It would be a different thing to label an entire religious group as nazis, that would be right out on the extreme end, and wanders into sectarianism.

He didn’t label Jewish people as nazis, though. I don’t know why you implied that he did. It dramatically undermines your attempt to place yourself on the moral high ground. It places you right there on the same ground, really.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If Iran is behind this (I would be extremely surprised if them and Russia are not involved), Israel will likely retaliate heavily against them. We already know that Israel’s F35 fly over Teheran, they can also bomb Teheran.
Iran isn't behind it, but they are well known to be arms suppliers to Hezbollah and Hamas, and of course are rabidly anti-Israel. Ultimately, the attack is all on Hamas and its them and the people of Gaza that will bear the brunt of the retaliation, which I presume will involve a ground war into Gaza to dismantle Hamas and reoccupy the land.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Curious how you arrived at a consensus on behalf of most on here? And not sure why it matters, in any case, what most on here would have to say. You asked me in particular and I'm not subject to most on here.

Your question and your follow-up are also incongruous. If Party A asks for peace and Party B says no, then it is Party B who opposes the peace at that point. If you meant to ask, whether I would say Party B was right or wrong in refusing the peace offer, that is an entirely different question. That could depend indeed, on whether it is militarily advantageous for the offering party, and therefore duplicitous; whether the offer does not provide reasonable assurances of good relations; whether the offer makes no genuine concessions, and so forth.

I also doubt "most on here" if that is the standard of right and wrong you choose to adopt, would then subsequently agree that Ukrainians would be right to enter Russian cities and massacre innocent civilians in a truly barbraric and depraved fashion.
Have you had a peak at the Ukraine war thread?

You're talking semantics here about the peace offer.

Not sure many, if any on here think what Hamas is doing is right. There is a massive difference between thinking something is right and thinking that a reaction is understandable, considering the circumstances they live under.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Iran isn't behind it, but they are well known to be arms suppliers to Hezbollah and Hamas, and of course are rabidly anti-Israel. Ultimately, the attack is all on Hamas and its them and the people of Gaza that will bear the brunt of the retaliation, which I presume will involve a ground war into Gaza to dismantle Hamas and reoccupy the land.
You really think a country that finances terror groups for decades in the middle east and who profits most of destabilization in the region, while fearing good relations between Israel and its neighbours at the same time isn't behind this attack? Come on, that's very naive. Hamas are being played by Iran. They use Israel like a tamer uses a red flag to provoke the bull to attack.

Israel's Defense Minister Yoav Gallant: "What has been, is not what will be. We will change the face of reality in Gaza"

Sounds to me like troops on the ground in Gaza.

Simbo

So what's the latest situation on the ground?
Still ongoing battles apparently, but Israel saying they have forces clearing every occupied village. Ground operation into Gaza already authorised, multiple rockets strikes in Tel Aviv in the last hour.