Israel - Palestine Discussion | Post Respectfully | Discuss more, tweet less

predator

Youth NITK
This is my first post in this thread I think.

Forget allegiances, if Israel are retaliating to HAMAS' attack (which in itself could be argued as a retaliation) by attacking an area which is now populated by innocent Palestinians, Israeli hostages, and indeed some terrorists then this isn't going to end without intervention from major powers.

Seems like it is going round in circles. Horrific from both sides.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Absolutely not justified (and no need to apologise - this is an incredibly raw topic). You’re fundamentally right that there are double standards at play over Palestine and Ukraine, and that includes me unfortunately - I feel more involved over the latter whereas with Palestine I suppose I tune out in a sense of numb fatalism until something dramatic happens like last weekend.
Thank you. And yes there's a clear double standard at play but at least you're cognisant and honest that it exists.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Israel has committed war crimes in Gaza and the siege and indiscriminate bombing will effectively lead to the genocide of 2 million people.

If this was Russia who had Ukrainians in an open prison camp, starved of water, fuel, food, medicines and other basic civilities, I wonder how many of you would still be telling us about ‘Russia’s right to defend themselves.’
None. It's vile. I'm 50 and this has been breaking my heart since I was a teenager.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I am honestly appalled by the sheer hypocrisy displayed in just a matter of months. I vividly remember the Ukraine thread and the views on Russia and how everyone felt for Ukrainian people and rightly so. An year later, a genocide is being committed or about to be committed right before us by IDF but there are reasons I have been told.
Browns/Muslims. Its that simple.

JagUTD

Why is this notion of revenge completely acceptable at a nation level by so many people? Why is it that Israel are just completely justified in rinsing Gaza to kingdom come now, is there no bar that we are holding modern, wealthy, 1st world societies to?

If you asked any of these people in everyday life if someone should be allowed kill a person that murdered one of their family members, I feel like most would say no, they should go to prison. But a regional superpower is deserving of overshadowing anything that happened in their country, because why?
Revenge isn't acceptable and serves only to further divide.

This conflict is basically a never ending series of revenge attacks on both sides with people arguing why their side is justified in taking revenge because the other side did something terrible, which was justified by their supporters as revenge... And so on.

The cycle is already in full flow. Israel is in the process of enacting it's revenge and already the inevitable revenge Hamas will enact is being justified just as many people are justifying Israels actions.

The cycle needs to be broken. How is the impossible question. We can look to past examples like the GFA which show diplomacy as the answer or we can look to WW2 and the Pacific in particular and how the US finally brought Japan to its knees. There's no guarantees though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So what number do you think they'll stop at? Let's be honest, it's not about getting Hamas here - it's punishment for all of Gaza.
So how dead and injured would be acceptable? 100 thousand? And what do you think will happen next?
According to UN's website, if I'm interpreting it correctly, casualties in Gaza since 2008 have been roughly 5,300. With that in mind, I reckon when we see the casualty figure rising to the tens of thousands, then international pressure will pile on Israel and I don't think the Israeli's would want to go that far. But that's just a wild guess from me. And no, that's not acceptable if you think I'd condone something like that.

Both of you know very well though that Israel will not go as far as killing 2 million Palestinians. That would be a top 10 genocide of all time.

tomaldinho1

Browns/Muslims. Its that simple.
This thread seems very pro Palestine or, at the very least, pro peace. Not that the situations are really comparable given how unique Israel's creation was but very few seem to want civilians to suffer for terrorist's actions

JagUTD

Israel has committed war crimes in Gaza and the siege and indiscriminate bombing will effectively lead to the genocide of 2 million people.

If this was Russia who had Ukrainians in an open prison camp, starved of water, fuel, food, medicines and other basic civilities, I wonder how many of you would still be telling us about ‘Russia’s right to defend themselves.’
Just as you have said we all need to be careful with the language used regarding the alleged beheading of infants, it also applies to the prediction of genocide.

Throughout all this, as yet, Israel has never seeked to kill everyone in Gaza. Even now, going to that extreme would be an enormous leap.

Laurencio

Revenge isn't acceptable and serves only to further divide.

This conflict is basically a never ending series of revenge attacks on both sides with people arguing why their side is justified in taking revenge because the other side did something terrible, which was justified by their supporters as revenge... And so on.

The cycle is already in full flow. Israel is in the process of enacting it's revenge and already the inevitable revenge Hamas will enact is being justified just as many people are justifying Israels actions.

The cycle needs to be broken. How is the impossible question. We can look to past examples like the GFA which show diplomacy as the answer or we can look to WW2 and the Pacific in particular and how the US finally brought Japan to its knees. There's no guarantees though.
Technically they aren't at war with Palestine, but with the rogue state Gazzan Hamas. It's a huge mess.

tomaldinho1

According to UN's website, if I'm interpreting it correctly, casualties in Gaza since 2008 have been roughly 5,300. With that in mind, I reckon when we see the casualty figure rising to the tens of thousands, then international pressure will pile on Israel and I don't think the Israeli's would want to go that far. But that's just a wild guess from me. And no, that's not acceptable if you think I'd condone something like that.

Both of you know very well though that Israel will not go as far as killing 2 million Palestinians. That would be a top 10 genocide of all time.
More likely they will make Gaza so lacking in basic infrastructure and unable to sustain such a high number of people that it creates a refugee crisis which forces as many Palestinian's to move (to where, they probably don't care) as possible. There's no way they just go and kill people with the world watching, not even the US would be able to stomach allying with them on that.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Israel has never laid siege to Gaza, in this manner, or bombed so ruthlessly or indiscriminately, so we're in new territory here.

Supports
Barcelona
Thanks for the mention

Serious question incoming:

I have a family trip planned to Egypt in 2 weeks, with the wife and kids. 2 days in Cairo, the rest Nile cruise.

It's with a agency from Egypt, a sort of private tour.

Should we go?
Anyone from Egypt? What's the situation?
I am. Egypt is safe. Even visiting Southern Sinai, like Sharm el Sheikh or Dahab, should be ok. The only problem is Nothern Sinai, but that's a region closed for tourists as well as Egyptians.

Cairo and a Nile cruise should be fine. Hope you and your family have a good time. :)

DickDastardly

Thanks for the mention

I am. Egypt is safe. Even visiting Southern Sinai, like Sharm el Sheikh or Dahab, should be ok. The only problem is Nothern Sinai, but that's a region closed for tourists as well as Egyptians.

Cairo and a Nile cruise should be fine. Hope you and your family have a good time. :)
Thanks Avatar!

Now that you've all eased my worries, we will. :)

JagUTD

He's right but there is not a nation on this planet, past, present or future that won't use blockades to squeeze their enemy.

It's one of the most effective tactics of war. Used for centuries, by tribes, nations and alliances. Cut off supplies to break the will of the enemy.

If war every broke out between Russia and Europe, there is no doubt at all that both sides would seek to cut off the other. Whether that's through bombing power plants and the like or through naval blockades. It's to effective not to be used.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He's right but there is not a nation on this planet, past, present or future that won't use blockades to squeeze their enemy.

It's one of the most effective tactics of war. Used for centuries, by tribes, nations and alliances. Cut off supplies to break the will of the enemy.

If war every broke out between Russia and Europe, there is no doubt at all that both sides would seek to cut off the other. Whether that's through bombing power plants and the like or through naval blockades. It's to effective not to be used.
I mean yeah that's fine and all that, it's just the head of the EU shouldn't be making contradictory statements such as these.

Laurencio

You know we're through the looking glass when Peter Hitchens seems to make sense.

The scary thing about what he's saying is the fact that Hamas is currently the leader of a rogue state of 2.3 million people and at war with Israel. If they have no concern for the civilian population, no incentive to protect their lives, how does the war end? It's a small terrorist organisation acting like a terrorist organisation while running a state.

Meanwhile the Saudis want Israel to negotiate with the PLO about a ceasefire and a two state solution, which is a great idea on paper, except Hamas doesn't listen to the Saudis or the PLO?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Best thing I’ve read, I’d be really surprised if many disagree.

I disagree with a lot of it, but it seems all he wants is peace at the end of the day which is great. I would just ask him if he thought the entire territory was peaceful prior to Hamas doing what they did.

JagUTD

I mean yeah that's fine and all that, it's just the head of the EU shouldn't be making contradictory statements such as these.
Tbf it's what these people do. There statements rarely carry any emotion and are carefully crafted for the moment.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Have been unable to get through to a close friend of mine, an intensive care doctor working for MSF in Gaza since the bombing began. Another friend is Palestinian origin and returned to the West Bank to try to improve the lives of Palestinians there. Also been unable to get through to him. Hope they're both OK.

@ScholesyTheWise @Amir Hope you guys both remain safe and are doing as well as you can be considering the circumstances.
Aww christ, thoughts are completely with you & your people.

Drizzle

Free Palestine.
I do love it when there's a cracking conversation in the pub with lots of interesting debate from all sides, respectfully conducted. And then the village drunk pops his head round the door to chant a slogan.

Spoony

The People's President
I do love it when there's a cracking conversation in the pub with lots of interesting debate from all sides, respectfully conducted. And then the village drunk pops his head round the door to chant a slogan.
Continue with your cracking conversation.